Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by matyoka View Post
    Yes Merlin, ME.

Really...funny what a difference a few hundred miles and a state away makes. I'd be lucky to make 65K, and nobody I know of stands a chance of pulling in 90K.

Comment

• The port I am working at is short of 2 people. I transferred from Newark where the first 3 months I worked midnights on the 20%. Plus add up every Sunday at 50%. In March I came up to Montana. The port had no director and short of one officer. Overtime started to pile. Than, June first came and we went to summer hours which added an average 30 hrs overtime and 64 hrs at 15% per pay period. To make story short, I capped out at $35k. Add that up with my Newark base at 11/3 than Montana base and you will get over $90,000 As I described, it takes personal and physical sacrifices... and sucks life out of one. If I wasn't forced to do the OT, I would have still made $80,000.
      Last edited by matyoka; 01-05-2008, 10:19 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

• GS pay

Originally posted by matyoka View Post
        The port I am working at is short of 2 people. I transferred from Newark where the first 3 months I worked midnights on the 20%. Plus add up every Sunday at 50%. In March I came up to Montana. The port had no director and short of one officer. Overtime started to pile. Than, June first came and we went to summer hours which added an average 30 hrs overtime and 64 hrs at 15% per pay period. To make story short, I capped out at $35k. Add that up with my Newark base at 11/3 than Montana base and you will get over $90,000 As I described, it takes personal and physical sacrifices... and sucks life out of one. If I wasn't forced to do the OT, I would have still made $80,000.
        Hello all!

I have to agree with matyoka!

My husband is going to pull $90,000.00 this year in earnings and we were in Ohio where his overtime was scarce, few and far between and he is a GS-11/Step 5. He pulled in about $9,000.00 in overtime. It all depends on your location and if your are working swing shifts. He worked a swing shift while working in Ohio and that's what added to his pay with his 20% night diff. Now that we are in Arizona, he is getting overtime out the wazoo! Unfortunatley because the port is so short manned he does get forced into overtime which never happened in Ohio because of his time in service and the fact that overtime was a no-no. However, the extra money is nice!!

It mainly depends on what port you are at and what shifts you are working.
        Toughmommy

CBP Process:
        Took Test: June 2006, passed/95 w/vet pref
        TO: Nov. 21, 2007
        Pre-Employment Forms: completed 1/4/08 & accepted
        Quals: completed/GS-5-12/20/07
        Medical Exam: completed Feb. 2008
        Structured Interview: 12/26/07-passed
        Drug Screening: 1/17/08-passed
        BI: being reviewed
        Fitness: completed/passed Dec. 2007

Comment

• Amen, sister!!
          sigpic

Comment

• pre-fletc

Hey all,

Does anybody know what you do for those 3 weeks before you go to fletc?

Thanks,
            scubaguy

Comment

• Hello scuba,

You will probably get to know the basics of firearms and some live target shooting, workout, some defensive tactics, immigration basics including travel documents, fraud and some legacy customs stuff as well. you will be looking at power point presentations most of the time and occasionaly allowed to view the process of clearing passengers/cargo/vehicles from the background. my pre academy was mainly filing folders, telling stories and jokes. that was some time ago...
              sigpic

Comment

• All I need completed is my Qualifications and BI its been 2 months since anything else. Ive been through quite a few LE backgrounds. I was wondering if there is someone I can email or call to figure out how my process is going or if theres anything I can do to help speed the process up?

Any Help would be good.
                What if quotas did exist?!

Comment

• Hello, I’m in the same boat as you EXSDSO. I have all complete except Qualifications and BI. It’s been over 2 months as well. I don’t think there is much we can do except wait. It looks like they do what they want when they want. I am going for LAX/Long Beach. Some people that took the test with me received the call in December. I on the other hand am still waiting. If anyone else knows different PLEASE let us know.

DANTE KASH

Godspeed.

Comment

• Same here. Waiting on Quals, BI and drug test. It's been 3 months for me since anything else. Guess we just gotta have patience! Good luck all.

Comment

• EXSDSO, PLENTY of people in the same boat here. If it makes you feel any better, they passed me then pull my BI back and has been just sitting in Security for 2 months (3 months total now).

Comment

• Thanks everyone. Yea seems like any other LE process then. The CASS system is cool, but its unfortunate we cant contact anyone and bug the crap out of them and say hey I NEED A JAY OH BEE right now!!! lol anyway good luck to all you guys!
                        What if quotas did exist?!

Comment

• Hi.

Took the written here in DTW in March, my BI interview was done in December, got an email from MSP on Tuesday telling me to wait another 3-6 months..other than that, everything else is done (up up down down ) and I am just waiting on the BI...

Question:

I have another great opportunity to go overseas again with a PMC...if DHS is telling me 3-6 months, can I ask to put my application 'on hold' until I get back or will DHS tell me to go pound sand?

Good luck to everyone. I have been following this thread for months, just got back and see I have been approved to post.

Semper Fi.
                          Last edited by Rather_Static; 01-08-2008, 06:47 PM. Reason: My spelling sux..

Comment

• Same here. I put in for LA/Long Beach, and am still waiting for my medical to clear, and for the BI to finish my investigation.

Let's not forget that this is the Federal Government, so hurry up and wait is pretty much the norm. Hey it could always be worse, we could have been rejected, and had to look for another job.

It would be cool to see how many people here end up in the same class at FLETC.
                            ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
                            Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
                            March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
                            July 09 Oral Board
                            Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
                            Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

• Roll the Dice!!

Originally posted by will0861 View Post
                              This is my first post here, and I've found a lot of good information. However, the one thing I can't find a clear answer on is how much can I expect to take home, pay wise. I know the GS-5 pay is around $31800 and some change for the Los Angeles area. But How often will I have a chance to work overtime and nights? I'm trying to compare this to the LA County Sheriff's department. Their base pay is $61,000 to start, and they can get plenty of OT. Plus they are on the 3% at 50 retirement. So, if there are any CBP Officers out there, I would appreciate if you can tell me what an officer would make in the real world. I understand the you are promoted every year to another GS level, up to 11, and then steps after that.

My wife just gave birth to twins, so I don't have the luxury of waiting for the perfect job. I have to get a career going soon. But if a CBPO officer can only make mid 30's in pay, then I may need to wait for another position.

Thanks for all of the help, and I hope this question has not been answered before.

I would probably say in your situation I would take a look at the benefits of the feds and the benefits of the Sheriffs Deparment. I am not sure of your goals? If you are looking for the quickest salary to support a family of 4? If that is the case you should go with the Sheriffs dept. Being in Cali I would be 99% certain that you would receive the cap of $37,500 each year. So look at the pay scale for 5, 7, 9, 11 and add the $37,5 to it!
                              Hope this helps!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1895FED View Post
                                I would probably say in your situation I would take a look at the benefits of the feds and the benefits of the Sheriffs Deparment. I am not sure of your goals? If you are looking for the quickest salary to support a family of 4? If that is the case you should go with the Sheriffs dept. Being in Cali I would be 99% certain that you would receive the cap of $37,500 each year. So look at the pay scale for 5, 7, 9, 11 and add the $37,5 to it!
                                Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply. I've looked at local LE, and it would be my first choice. However, since I haven't had any luck with the local departments, I have to look at all my options. Basically, I wanted to know if the CPBO job is a career that can support a family. It may not be as easy as a local department, but after talking to a few other members on the forums, it seems like a good way to go. After all I'm in a dead end retail management position, so starting a career in law enforcement is a step in the right direction. Even if it is not the exact job I dreamed about.
                                ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
                                Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
                                March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
                                July 09 Oral Board
                                Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
                                Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6452 users online. 250 members and 6202 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X