Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I took the test on nov. 7 and I applied to work anywhere in florida. I was just wondering how many locations are you able to pick since I am willing to relocate anywhere else.

Comment

• This is my first post here, and I've found a lot of good information. However, the one thing I can't find a clear answer on is how much can I expect to take home, pay wise. I know the GS-5 pay is around $31800 and some change for the Los Angeles area. But How often will I have a chance to work overtime and nights? I'm trying to compare this to the LA County Sheriff's department. Their base pay is $61,000 to start, and they can get plenty of OT. Plus they are on the 3% at 50 retirement. So, if there are any CBP Officers out there, I would appreciate if you can tell me what an officer would make in the real world. I understand the you are promoted every year to another GS level, up to 11, and then steps after that.

My wife just gave birth to twins, so I don't have the luxury of waiting for the perfect job. I have to get a career going soon. But if a CBPO officer can only make mid 30's in pay, then I may need to wait for another position.

Thanks for all of the help, and I hope this question has not been answered before.
      ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
      Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
      March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
      July 09 Oral Board
      Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
      Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

• I currently hold an 0083 SRT position which is a pretty good gig, just wondering, I just accepted a position as a GS-7 and after reading some of the post, is CBPO really that bad?!?!?

Comment

• I got gs7 because I checked the box I would only accept a gs7 job. I have only a few college hours but many years local LE. Whether you get gs5 or gs7 depends on the mood of the person reviewing your case.
          I know folks with college degrees and LE that only got gs5 while others worked as an office clerk, no college, and got a gs7. That person is now a sup.

Comment

• LASIK and Selection Process

Hey everybody, my first post here. I had the medical exam about 3 weeks ago and had a question about the vision requirements. I already know that I will not qualify because I didn't meet the uncorrected requirements. The status for medical is still pending on CASS. Well, I remember reading about one poster who was having LASIK done. I don't recall the outcome of whether or not this person, I think "Sierra"? got hired finally or not. Well, I am scheduled to have LASIK surgery in early February, and I'm just wondering, after I have the surgery, will I be able to continue in the selection process, or does one in this situation usually just have to wait for another job announcement. Thanks very much for your replies. And Happy New Year.

flyer13
            Houston

Comment

• lasik

Originally posted by Flyer13 View Post
              Hey everybody, my first post here. I had the medical exam about 3 weeks ago and had a question about the vision requirements. I already know that I will not qualify because I didn't meet the uncorrected requirements. The status for medical is still pending on CASS. Well, I remember reading about one poster who was having LASIK done. I don't recall the outcome of whether or not this person, I think "Sierra"? got hired finally or not. Well, I am scheduled to have LASIK surgery in early February, and I'm just wondering, after I have the surgery, will I be able to continue in the selection process, or does one in this situation usually just have to wait for another job announcement. Thanks very much for your replies. And Happy New Year.

flyer13
              Houston
              I did not pass vision either. But I already had a date for LASIK. I called the medical # for MHC and told them my surgery date. Then they sent me a letter requesting info 90 days after LASIK. It didn't seem to slow down my process at all. I had the surgery in July and I am going to FLETC the end of JAN.

Best of luck to you!!!

Comment

• Training

Hi all! I have three questions.

1. If you are training for 6 days a week down at fletc, do you get overtime for Sat?

2. Is there any wireless internet service on fletc?

3. Is anyone out there in Class 823?

Thanks,
                Scubaguy

Comment

• Originally posted by scubaguy04 View Post

1. If you are training for 6 days a week down at fletc, do you get overtime for Sat?

Thanks,
                  Scubaguy
                  Hi scubaguy.

1. Yes, OT is given for Sat.

2. I have heard there is wireless in the G-bar, and possibly the new dorms which are referred to as the "Taj".

3. 821.

See you there!

Comment

• Week #8 "Half way done"

Exam #4 - It's not as hard as everyone says it is.
                    4 exams down 4 more togo! Six more weeks till graduation.
                    CBP
                    Written Test - 2/7/07
                    TO - 3/10/07 SF CA.
                    SF86 - Completed *Recieved
                    Qualifications - *6/27/07 Cleared for GS5
                    Med. - 3/9/07 *Cleared
                    Structured - 6/22/07 *Cleared
                    Drug -7/10/07 *Cleared
                    B.I. - 10/01/07 Cleared
                    Fitness - 3/9/07 *Cleared
                    EOD- 10/29/07

IEA
                    Written Test - 5/17/07
                    NOR - 6/7/07 93.9
                    COE - 6/30/07
                    SF86 - Mailed 7/9/07
                    Fitness - Scheduled 7/19/07 Completed
                    Med & Drug - Completed from CBP
                    Interview- 8/1/07 Completed

Comment

• Originally posted by scubaguy04 View Post

Thanks,
                      Scubaguy
                      they do have wireless service but you have to go to the g bar. you cant pick up the signal from the dorms or the library. your best bet is to pick up a aol or msn internet disk and just dial up. its slow and all but at least you can take care of your email and banking and whatever from the privacy of you dorm room.
                      good luck!

Comment

• You can always spring for that Verizon Wireless card for your laptop... it connects over the air... I think most cell companies have this too...

Comment

• Originally posted by outlookingin View Post
                          For those of you with GS-5 approval, do you have college credits? I'm still waiting for a decision and I have an Associates Degree and 5 years working exp.
                          You should get an offer for GS 7 unless they are looking at a Bachelor's.. not sure. I had a BS and several years experience in the white collar crime scene... Got hired as a 7 several years ago.
                          Last edited by matyoka; 01-04-2008, 01:53 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Kirtcop View Post
                            I currently hold an 0083 SRT position which is a pretty good gig, just wondering, I just accepted a position as a GS-7 and after reading some of the post, is CBPO really that bad?!?!?
                            LIES, LIES, LIES... they are all lies !!!!!

What kind of information are you getting my brother? We now have LEO status(will see how good it is), you will not kill yourself with the work load(depending on where you go) you stop bad guys at the borders of our motherland, arrest drug smugglers, stop the weapons of mass-distruction way far from our land (CSI-program all over the world) plus as a fed you can carry your weapon to defend yourself and other LEO brothers in need in all of the 50 states Overtime is still paid at double rate, as a GS11 step 3 (with some sacrifices) one can make $90,000. Beats doing construction work in heat, rain and snow. What else can I say???
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by matyoka View Post

...as a GS11 step 3 (with some sacrifices) one can make $90,000.
                              Do you know of any 11/3's making 90K in MT?

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                                Do you know of any 11/3's making 90K in MT?
                                Yes Merlin, ME.
                                sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9552 users online. 453 members and 9099 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X