300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sterism View Post
    Well I just started my first week at my port as Pre-FLETC. I've been given a LOT of information about FLETC and other things. I'd just like to clear up this information that I've been given:

Sure, a 70 is as good as 100 on tests if all you want to do is just pass. There are several awards available to FLETC trainees for firearms, PT, etc. A 95 avg does in fact give you a certificate, and being the top of your class gets you an even bigger honor. If you plan to get into special groups within CBP (and there are a lot!), you'll have to compete with others. If you plan to join other agencies, like the FBI or ICE, they also look at this. If you're okay with just doing passport control, then by all means, enjoy yourself.

I see it all the time at my port, if you've got a family, then by all means, stick with something stable. However, I myself hope to get into lots of different things.

Good luck to all you still in the hiring process! I hear some of you are about to do your VBTs.. while I don't want to give too much info that'll jeopardize the whole point of testing, the best advice I'd like to give is that they like to see that you can think on your feet.

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, so i'll just say that you'll see what i mean when you get to fletc, all those awards and **** are pointless. i mean its nice and all if you get one, but i aint worth worrying about.
    good luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
      Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, so i'll just say that you'll see what i mean when you get to fletc, all those awards and **** are pointless. i mean its nice and all if you get one, but i aint worth worrying about.
      good luck!
      There are two trains of thought here:

1. - Minimalist - 70% is as good as 100%
      2. - Maximum Achievement - Your port director and DFO will take notice. I received an award at fletc and got an email from the DFO and the PD. Opened doors to other opportunities as I was seen as someone that is above average.

Always do your best on everything you do. Part of the problem with America today is this minimalistic ideal that is prevelant in society. The "everyone gets a trophy" mentality is an albatross that is turning the US into a bunch of idiots.

Sorry - not everyone is equal. Some are stronger, some are smarter.

The only guarentee for equality you have is equal access, beyond that it's up to you.

SO, in short, Do your best at FLETC.

Comment

• Do your best or why bother trying?

I agree with you, formerNOPD. I was lucky enough to get two awards on graduation day. Our ADFO was the VIP speaker and handed out the certificates. He said he'd keep his eye out for me back in SoCal. I am, however, still waiting for that time off somebody posted about. Not even so much as a "congrats" from the training supes back at the port. Guess I'll just have to see if any of this helps cause like I wrote last month-I have no intention of spending my entire career stamping visas and I-94s.

My wife and I have taught our two young children from the very begining that only their best efforts are acceptable. They won't always (and aren't expected to) be the winner or on the top of the heap, but setting the bar high ALWAYS produces better results than the alternative. Besides, after making them adhere to that philosophy I couldn't very well just mail it in when I got to FLETC. Work hard, set a good example and it will also motivate those around you to do a little better.
        ========================================

sigpic

I feel the need - the need for speed.

Maverick and Goose, TOPGUN

Comment

• Well my train of thought of exceeding at FLETC is...do it. But, it won't guarantee any awards in the future. That certificate from my experience doesn't get you on a special team or assignment any faster than someone who dont have one. When I made selections from a pool of candidates to join the Anti Terrorist Team, PERT or PAU, what you did at FLETC was not part of my judgement. I looked for work ethics while at the port. And I know for a fact no one with a FLETC "ata boy" certificate have made a special team at my old port. Most of the selectees was just hard workers with common sense. Willing to go the extra mile not because they wanted personal recognition but because they loved their job and the people they work with. Most officers with college degrees that always brag about it don't make the teams. They wind up in E&C or the front line because officers don't wan't to hear what they accomplished in the past. What have you done lately. It's not what you know people, but how you apply it. Again good luck on your training. No I wasn't a top student in my class, but I was a top employee at my port.

Comment

• Is there any way to change a preferred port between the open application periods?
            CBPO - Nirgendwo in Amerika

Comment

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
              Yeah they been talkin that same noise about leo retirement status for years, dont hold your breath
              President signed the bill today!

Comment

• Originally posted by HokieBird View Post
                Is there any way to change a preferred port between the open application periods?
                If you have not received a TO, yet, you can e-mail the MHC and they will change your preference. The e-mail address is on the test NOR.
                But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Good find, Ford. I will post more information as it comes in. But so far we are in. The NTEU hopefully will be posting something in the future. I am no longer with the union, I do keep track of what's going on. I think NOPD may have more also.

Comment

• Bill signed!

Originally posted by ford123 View Post
                    President signed the bill today!
                    That's great news!

I was the one that posted that some ports will recognize their top students with an award when you graduate FLETC and went back to your Port of Duty but remember that I mentioned that some ports do this and some don't. I am sure it not announced anywhere just personal experience with some (not sure of which ports) just word of mouth from friends who received awards. However, no one should do their best at FLETC just for an award from the port because 1) you might not get one and 2) you should be doing your best for YOU! As stated in previous posts, anyone attending FLETC should try to put your best foot forward and do the best that you can do and if you can obtain a few certificates out of it, why not go for those certificates! The main thing is to do your best!

Took my VBT today and I think it went good. I guess I will find out in a few weeks!
                    Toughmommy

CBP Process:
                    Took Test: June 2006, passed/95 w/vet pref
                    TO: Nov. 21, 2007
                    Pre-Employment Forms: completed 1/4/08 & accepted
                    Quals: completed/GS-5-12/20/07
                    Medical Exam: completed Feb. 2008
                    Structured Interview: 12/26/07-passed
                    Drug Screening: 1/17/08-passed
                    BI: being reviewed
                    Fitness: completed/passed Dec. 2007

Comment

• Yes, the bill was signed today. We got it! Congrats to all those who worked hard to make it happen. To the rest that did'nt type a letter, email or lift a finger to call their congressmen and women, well you get to ride on the coat-tails of those that did. If everyone did what they should it would have happened a long time ago.

Comment

Last edited by tigers2007; 04-17-2017, 07:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tigers2007 View Post
                          Wow its been a while since I've posted here; checking once every few weeks continues to give me hope that one day i'll get the call. Glad to see that LEO passed - my state's Congresswomen (who I hate with a passion) just sent me a response email regarding mine about a week ago.

Anyone here ever attended FLETC with a foot or ankle problem? I fractured my ankle on Thanksgiving and I've been doing everything to make sure that this gets healed up quickly. Doc says that it was very minor and should heal up quickly. Is the 1.5mile run still about 16 minutes? It would be nice if I could do a brisk walk instead of pounding my ankle to death.

If you didn't get the call yet your foot should be fine by then. They normally have a 2-4 weeks of pre academy. I think they did lower the run tho. I know you have to run on the track now every PT. Plus they moved back to 6 days a week. Being injured down there with really only one day to rest and heal up can't be fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by tigers2007 View Post
                            Wow its been a while since I've posted here; checking once every few weeks continues to give me hope that one day i'll get the call. Glad to see that LEO passed - my state's Congresswomen (who I hate with a passion) just sent me a response email regarding mine about a week ago.

Anyone here ever attended FLETC with a foot or ankle problem? I fractured my ankle on Thanksgiving and I've been doing everything to make sure that this gets healed up quickly. Doc says that it was very minor and should heal up quickly. Is the 1.5mile run still about 16 minutes? It would be nice if I could do a brisk walk instead of pounding my ankle to death.
                            Last i heard it was still 16.5 minutes. and yes, if you are a fast walker, you can walk it. you can walk it on your hands as long as you come in under the time. you get 2 shots at it, one at the beginning and one at the end.

Comment

• IAD - Does anyone know what the prospects are of getting hired on at Dulles at some point in the near future? How is the turnover?
                              CBPO - Nirgendwo in Amerika

Comment

• I worked at Dulles left around 2002, but still have strong ties there. From my understanding turnover is probaly a little higher than most places due to the proximity to the DC area. I know when I left about about 50% of the people I worked with got promoted and went to HQ. Dulles is a great place for career advancement if you looking to get into upper management or programs. We use get some great drug seizures there but from my understanding that's on the wayside and the big thing now is immigration and terrorism. They don't do much narcotics, currency or cargo enforcement like when I was there. We use to have several different enforcement teams now the just have one from my understanding. But there are some great people there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9250 users online. 382 members and 8868 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X