Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kinda stuff can we expect to be doing on the daily if we're in the enforcement program?

Comment

• I like stamps.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExSDSO View Post
        BP doesnt make as much as CBPO's yo guys should know that. I think theres a lot of sensitive future LEOs on this forum. I will refrain from giving my opinion in fear of crushing someones dreams.
        Your absolutely right, my skin is not thick enough and my sensitive feelings have been hurt! Perhaps when I was over sea's fighting people who didn't give a crap about blowing themselfs up just to get a crack at you and shooting every possible weapon at there disposal make's me soft and sensitive. Maybe I should brag about how that makes me tuff, an know it all! No hard feelings, I just think you have not walked in my boots.

Comment

• I just received a letter about my unsuitability for employment stating I have 30 days from the date the letter was issued to explain the issue that arose in my background investigation. The issue is dealing with my wife who is in the citizenship process.

The letter states I am allowed to hire representation for this matter, so my question is, does anyone have a good lawyer that deals with these particular cases? This job is important enough to me so that I would hire legal council to solidify my response and make sure that my case is air-tight, so to speak. I have heard of people writing pages back to DHS and in my opinion that is not what they are looking for; they seem to want facts and a short, streamlined response that can be processed quickly. I have documentation to refute what they are stating and nothing is out of line, but there is a questionnaire that was provided and I am being asked to attach documentation for things, which I can. However, I would think someone more familiar with this might know how to come at in a more perfect manner.

SO, yay nor nay on lawyer to handle the response package? Or is a short, well written response with solid documentation enough to be sure?

Comment

• Are you currently a CPBO?

How bad do you want this job? If it for you and your family, then do what you have to do. If this is not your dream job, then move on , but if all you have to do is sign a few forms, etc and get hired, go for it.
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

• To all my vets and Port Everglades guys going in the academy!

I just got off the phone with the Point of contact for my reporting unit, Port Everglades. I had tons of questions and two of my important questions were answered "awesomly" lol. First, If you choose Port Everglades it consists of Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood international Airport AND the Sea Port. You will not know which one you will recieve UNTIL YOU GRADUATE THE ACADEMY. Once back from the academy, you will do an additional 10 weeks of training at your port in which you will be CROSS TRAINED since the Airport and the Sea Port is a stone throw away from eachother. Most importantly, Port Everglades Sea Port IS the busiest Sea Port in the South and operates 7 DAYS A WEEK. She said, whether you are at the airport or sea port, THEIR IS ALOT OF OVERTIME AVAILABLE!!.

To my Veterans, The academy is technically On the Job Training and you have the option to use your G.I. Bill once you start you Pre-academy. Using the G.I. Bill will give you an additional $700 a month for your first six months, $500 a month after that for about a year and a half ON TOP OF YOUR SALARY AND NOT INCLUDING OVERTIME! If you want to opt for this, when you report to Pre-Academy they will gladly set this up for you.
              N.Y.P.D.

Passed:Exam# 3007 (1/2004) Military Extension
              Passed:Medical (1/2009)
              Passed:Psycological (1/2009)
              Passed(2:50):JST
              Passed:Mini-Medical
              January 2010 Academy:

CBP Officer

Exam Feb, 08: Passed
              Medical: Passed
              PT Test: Passed
              Qualifications GS7: Done
              VBT: Passed
              Backround: Done
              Whiz quiz: Passed with 100%
              Referred to TSU: 2/10/09
              Graduated FLETC: CBPI Class 941
              CBP Officer: Florida

Comment

Seriously with your comment I know that you work at an airport and you stamp I94s all day.

And no I haven't been to all the ports in the world, impossible because I work full time.

My opinion is that TSA at airports could be taught immigration and how to stamp, Airport CBPOs shouldn't be considered LE.
                First of all, I am not a CBPO yet. I work in a federal prison with inmates all day/night, depending on my shift. I earn my law enforcement pay every day. The fact that you think you are above other CBPO's is a joke to me. I would never down any fellow law enforcement officers. It doesn't matter where you are. No matter what your POE is, I have learned in my 15 years of federal law enforcement, that there are people who deserve the pay for the work they do. Then there are the duds who are there just filling up space. Even in San Ysidro. No I have never been there but I Know it's not the Justice League. So there are duds.
                Something you need to understand is that we all have the same quals and go through the same process. What choice you make in ports does not make you any more qualified to earn le pay than anyone else. People who make decisions to pick certain ports for their families, or other reasons, are just as qualified to work your area as you are. You need to step down off your high horse and realize that you are human like the rest of us.

Comment

• Originally posted by colinm112 View Post
                  I just received a letter about my unsuitability for employment stating I have 30 days from the date the letter was issued to explain the issue that arose in my background investigation. The issue is dealing with my wife who is in the citizenship process.

The letter states I am allowed to hire representation for this matter, so my question is, does anyone have a good lawyer that deals with these particular cases? This job is important enough to me so that I would hire legal council to solidify my response and make sure that my case is air-tight, so to speak. I have heard of people writing pages back to DHS and in my opinion that is not what they are looking for; they seem to want facts and a short, streamlined response that can be processed quickly. I have documentation to refute what they are stating and nothing is out of line, but there is a questionnaire that was provided and I am being asked to attach documentation for things, which I can. However, I would think someone more familiar with this might know how to come at in a more perfect manner.

SO, yay nor nay on lawyer to handle the response package? Or is a short, well written response with solid documentation enough to be sure?
                  If you have all the documentation to prove your case, then all you need is to write a well written letter to them with the attached supporting documents. If you want to make absolutely sure that it is all well done, then get a lawyer to do it... either way there's no guarantee as to their determination.
                  Best of Luck!...
                  CBPO
                  Written: 08/29/2007
                  EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by colinm112 View Post
                    I just received a letter about my unsuitability for employment stating I have 30 days from the date the letter was issued to explain the issue that arose in my background investigation. The issue is dealing with my wife who is in the citizenship process.

Wow that sucks. How long did you have to wait with your investigation in the security office before you received the notification?
                    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Comment

• Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
                      Wow that sucks. How long did you have to wait with your investigation in the security office before you received the notification?
                      Believe it or not, they didnt come to me, I had to go to them. I met with my investigator back in mid-August. I only started questioning how long it was taking about 1 month ago. I called MHC several times and left several messages but got no response. Finally, a nice young lady referred me to this persons email, which I received a response very quickly. This is when I was informed of my background issue. They asked for my current address so they could send out the letter.

THEN I waited 2 weeks after being told the letter was sent out that morning. The letter never came. After emailing back and forth a couple more times I finally got the letter through another medium of communication.

So yes, unless you followup, you may never know whats going on. But to be fair, I would wait at least 3-4 months to give adequate time. While I do not firmly believe I would have never known, something tells me I still would have been waiting, so be proactive at a certain point.

Comment

• Colinm112

If you know you have the skills and background to be cbp or any job in that matter do what you have to do to get it, I had to jump through a few hoops as well but I got there and with the economy with the way it is now I can bitch and bitch about how crappy it is at times (CBP at San Ysidro), but the fact of the matter is it puts food on the table and clothes on my kids backs and purses on my wifes arm lol
                        What if quotas did exist?!

Comment

If you want to see what CBP is really about come to San Ysidro, Air port CBPO's are stamp monkeys and seaport cbpos talk to containers. Any SW border POE will give you an idea of what cbp is about. Seriously SW border CBPOs are a different breed and what we/I learned in FLETC didnt prepare me for Ysidro.

PM me if you want to know more
                          I hear you. I live in Calexico, Ca (SW Border) and I've seen the work that Airport CBPO's do, and it is very different than those on the border. Being on the border is a bit more exciting, I think, just the other day they were dismantling an SUV(unclassified, my mother in law saw this happen while crossing). So how busy is it in San Ysidro? I'm thinking about transferring to the SD area as soon as I can.

Comment

• Originally posted by ifoCBP View Post
                            has anyone called the hotline today? I called and it got crazy and would not recognize my voice. Anyone have the same problem?
                            you can dial in your id number and ssn, it'll just need you to respond "yes" or "no"

Comment

• Originally posted by USCG 2 NYPD View Post
                              Any class 941'ers (04/09/09) here?
                              It looks like we'll be in the same class.

Comment

• Sheesh...it appears some teacher wandered off today and left the kiddies to make havoc in the computer lab. Good showing.*rolling eyes*

Yeah...there's not much like a large southern border port. Yeah, that's pretty much where most of 'the action' is at. Truthfully, I think everyone should TDY to the SB at some point early on in there careers, it would do everyone good.

Still, there are plenty of seaports and airports with excellent Officers doing quite a lot of meaningful work. It not all about being a "stamp monkey" or staring at containers. To suggest that somebody isn't a 'true LEO' by where they work is ridiculous. Most people move about during their careers. A lot of those airport people 'stamp monkeying' today did their time in Skid Row or elsewhere on the SB earlier in their careers. I doubt they think of themselves as being any less of a 'LEO' because they're nabbing child sex perverts coming back from Asia, as opposed to nabbing Mexican drug mules at a SB PoE. Get real.

As far as 12D/6C goes, same old tired debate. Despite what management and what some other might think, it's all the same for new hires. Sure, some people receive it through one set of laws, some through another...so what?

It's like arguing that black men and women have different voting rights...based on the fact that black men gained their rights from the 15th Amendment to the Constitution but women gained theirs through the 19th.

If that kind of thinking works for you, great. Most people just care about voting...or retiring.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6764 users online. 356 members and 6408 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X