Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thank you sir, that answered my question...

Comment

• hey merlin, is counter-terrorism the Special Response Team? do you know if it's crazy competitive to get a spot?

Comment

• Just a thought from my little mind. Stay on a team long enough to get good at it, then work to move to a different team. From what the supervisors advised me, it seems to be about experience. If you have several teams under your belt it will be easier to move up. If all you did was sit on a primary booth, it could be a bit difficult. Promotion is competitive with other 11's, you just have to look better than the competition. I'm sure the G.O.B. network is still alive and active, but short of getting in on that, doing the best job you can can't hurt your chances of promotion, especially if your name starts being seen around the agency in a good light.
        But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by friscoplayrsf View Post
          Im making payments, on the credit, I dont have any court liens, Im current on my car payments. I have documents to prove im paying on the credit, and Im working three jobs to kill the debt.
          keep that up.

Comment

• Good news. I got the call from my BI yesterday. And will be meeting with him today. Is it normal for the BI to meet with a spouse, and does anyone know what kind of questions will be asked?

Plus, has anyone had any troubles verifying the BI’s authorization with OPM before meeting? I got the call yesterday from the BI, then immediately afterwards I called the OPM investigator verification hotline. I gave the lady I talked to at OPM the investigator’s name, company, and telephone number, but never got a positive verification. She said she will have to call me back about an hour before the meeting.
            Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
              Depends on what you mean by advancement.

There are of fair number of special teams and collateral duties on can acquire.

For example:
              Counter-terrorism
              Contraband Enforcement
              Passenger Analytical
              Intermediate force instructor
              Firearms instructor
              Cargo coordinator
              etc.

They're not promotion, so to speak, but they're more prestigious, more desired duties...for the most part.

In order to promote, you're pretty much stuck competing for a supervisor's GS-12 job.
              What about K-9, is that along the same lines? From what I understand you have to be GS11 just to be considered but is it highly competitive or desirable.

Comment

• Originally posted by DLA View Post
                hey merlin, is counter-terrorism the Special Response Team? do you know if it's crazy competitive to get a spot?
                Its a detail to CTU...

ATCET officers are, from what I have seen, usually the CBPO(E)'s.

Comment

• Originally posted by DLA View Post
                  hey merlin, is counter-terrorism the Special Response Team? do you know if it's crazy competitive to get a spot?
                  No, the CTRT is not the SRT, though I suppose it's possible for someone to wear both hats. Yes, for the most part it's very competive.

Comment

• Originally posted by imlikeaninja View Post
                    What about K-9, is that along the same lines? From what I understand you have to be GS11 just to be considered but is it highly competitive or desirable.
                    Yes.

For all:

Understand that special teams are highly dependent of the port you're in. Many ports don't have them. Some smaller ports can't give away speciality team assignments like CTRT, so they order out the lowest guy. I was a GS-07 CTRT member at my port at one point.

What there is, how it's run and who gets on it is pretty much decided on the local level, or just above it, or at most the OFO. What flys in International Falls, MN is probably not what's going on in Otay Mesa, CA.

Comment

• Just looked a CASS one year and two months later, I finally made it to TSU...Make some room for me in pendingville, I have my tent and sleeping bag and I'm ready to camp for a few months out
                      CBPO-Southwest Border, CA
                      Test date 12/07
                      EOD: 3/2/09
                      FLETC 4/7/09 Class 940

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                        Yes.

For all:

Understand that special teams are highly dependent of the port you're in. Many ports don't have them. Some smaller ports can't give away speciality team assignments like CTRT, so they order out the lowest guy. I was a GS-07 CTRT member at my port at one point.

What there is, how it's run and who gets on it is pretty much decided on the local level, or just above it, or at most the OFO. What flys in International Falls, MN is probably not what's going on in Otay Mesa, CA.
                        You are correct sir. Assignments such as CTR and ATCET are very competitive at larger ports. It will be even harder now that we have this bid for you're assignment thing going. Seniority is king and it will be very difficult to get some of these spots if you're the new kid on the block.
                        Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• Random Polys???

Dude. What agency do you work for and how long have you been in? CBPOs and BPA have never been subject to random polys. EVER. In fact there is paper from HQ with very specific verbiage about how we cannot be subject to Polys because of our classification. Random drug tests yes. Polys never.

If this something that is new as of last year or this year I can see that.

Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                          Both CBPO's and BPA's have been subject to random polys for as long as I remember.

I have no idea if polys are going to implemented as part of a semi-regular process for CBPO's, but I wouldn't read too much into a single line sentence in the announcement.

Comment

• Originally posted by OVERCBPII View Post
                            Dude. What agency do you work for and how long have you been in? CBPOs and BPA have never been subject to random polys. EVER. In fact there is paper from HQ with very specific verbiage about how we cannot be subject to Polys because of our classification. Random drug tests yes. Polys never.

You are wrong there boss. BP job announcements have had "may be poly'ed" verbiage for a couple of years.

This is from the newest CBPO announcement, and I quote "Appointment to this position may require the successful completion of a polygraph examination."

Don't believe me, then see this: http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/getjob....&TabNum=3&rc=2

Look at the last sentence under Background Investigation.

Comment

• Originally posted by OVERCBPII View Post

Sorry. Sloppy writing.

Applicants...I left out the word "applicants". Both CBPO and BPA applicants are subject to random polys as a condition of the pre-employment process.

Hopefully that's clearer.

Comment

• Originally posted by qixfeet View Post
                                You are correct sir. Assignments such as CTR and ATCET are very competitive at larger ports. It will be even harder now that we have this bid for you're assignment thing going. Seniority is king and it will be very difficult to get some of these spots if you're the new kid on the block.

The bid/rotation implementation has screwed up just about most things...if you ask me.

It's great if you happen to fall into the top 25% of your port. Well, not even that maybe...many senior people I know are finding out that making their bid hasn't made it any better than before.

In some ports I'll bet that some of the newer people will be stuck for years, maybe even a career, before getting into the top 25%. I'll bet some current folks won't even get close until 07/08/2028 or whenever 12D retirement kicks in.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9222 users online. 430 members and 8792 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X