Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sterism View Post
    Hello All,

Like a couple others here, I have been in the application process for LAX/Long Beach. I took my written test on 8/29 and received a score of 97. I passed all requirements with the medical being the most recent. Additional information regarding the medical was required due to my history of asthma. I completed that about 3 weeks ago and have been waiting since.

However, I was just called this morning with my offer of employment. The choice was mine to work at either Long Beach ports or the airport, and I have 24 hours to make a decision. I'm still not sure which location to choose.

I will work at my duty station for 5-6 weeks before being shipped off to FLETC.

Has anyone else from the Long Beach/LAX hiring heard anything yet?
    I also took the test on 8/29, I just got medically cleared a couple of weeks ago and all I am waiting on is my BI to clear. I scored a 93 on the test. Sounds like you moved through even faster than I did!!!!

If I had the choice I would pick Long Beach Port, I personally think working at an airport you would have to deal with alot more people and a lot more AHoles. It would be better in my opinion to search containers than search thousands of bags...

But that is just me.

Comment

• Anyone going through the process for the NJ/NYC area?

Comment

• Originally posted by outlookingin View Post
        Anyone going through the process for the NJ/NYC area?
        I just got as far as taking the written test. I took it on 11/15 and got my NOR on the 19th. I'm waiting for a TO that may never come..

Comment

• Originally posted by antwatersx View Post
          hey sterism, still waiting for the call...took the written in february...i've been waiting for the clearance and the call. what kind of experience did you have to move so quickly through the process in three months? thats great, congrats.
          Thank you
          Well the hiring process for LAX/Long Beach was expedited. They need people ASAP. My experience only includes 5 years of clerical work, 2 years of IT work, and a BS in Criminal Justice.

Good luck, I hope you get your call soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by deyosurf19 View Post
            I also took the test on 8/29, I just got medically cleared a couple of weeks ago and all I am waiting on is my BI to clear. I scored a 93 on the test. Sounds like you moved through even faster than I did!!!!

If I had the choice I would pick Long Beach Port, I personally think working at an airport you would have to deal with a lot more people and a lot more AHoles. It would be better in my opinion to search containers than search thousands of bags...

But that is just me.
            Hi Deyosurf,

On the CASS, the BI still isn't even checkmarked on my status page, so I was surprised to get a call from them. Training sounds like it's gonna be very rushed, from Jan 24th to April 18th. That's a little over 12 weeks. I guess training will occur on Saturdays as well.

I chose LAX as my duty station because I've heard the harbor CBP officers get bored easily. I also heard the opportunity for OT at LAX is significantly higher.

Good luck! I hope you get called very soon.

Comment

Hi Deyosurf,

On the CASS, the BI still isn't even checkmarked on my status page, so I was surprised to get a call from them. Training sounds like it's gonna be very rushed, from Jan 24th to April 18th. That's a little over 12 weeks. I guess training will occur on Saturdays as well.

I chose LAX as my duty station because I've heard the harbor CBP officers get bored easily. I also heard the opportunity for OT at LAX is significantly higher.

Good luck! I hope you get called very soon.
              That is interesting Sterism,

Is the check marked on the Qualifications box in CASS?
              You are right on the training, looks like they have you do the 6 day weeks. Should be pretty busy especially when you only have 1 day to take care of all your laundry and personal business.

Good luch with your training, if all goes well we will surely be at FLETC at the same time.

Comment

• kc12, sounds like we're in the same boat. i've been watching the same and am growing more discouraged. good luck.

Comment

• Is college credit offered for completion of the cbp academy?

Comment

kc12, sounds like we're in the same boat. i've been watching the same and am growing more discouraged. good luck.
                    antwater,

What is your geo pref and how far along are you in the process?

Comment

• Originally posted by LT. EXPLORER View Post
                      Is college credit offered for completion of the cbp academy?
                      Yes.

Erm

Comment

kc12, sounds like we're in the same boat. i've been watching the same and am growing more discouraged. good luck.
                        Thanks and back at you. I'm to the point now if I don't get the exact port I want I most likely won't accept the job. My current job isn't all that bad. I actually enjoy it, but the pay could be much better.
                        But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by deyosurf19 View Post
                          That is interesting Sterism,

Is the check marked on the Qualifications box in CASS?
                          You are right on the training, looks like they have you do the 6 day weeks. Should be pretty busy especially when you only have 1 day to take care of all your laundry and personal business.

Good luch with your training, if all goes well we will surely be at FLETC at the same time.
                          Qualifications has been checkmarked even before medical was done. I'm glad training will be faster, I'm sure I'll get homesick. Plus that'll mean OT on Saturdays.

Hopefully they call you soon. Please keep us updated. Hopefully we can all meet up at FLETC.

Comment

Qualifications has been checkmarked even before medical was done. I'm glad training will be faster, I'm sure I'll get homesick. Plus that'll mean OT on Saturdays.

Hopefully they call you soon. Please keep us updated. Hopefully we can all meet up at FLETC.
                            Trust me the best times you'll have at FLETC are your days off. Honestly for the 2 weeks 6 day weeks knocks off the academy, id rather have sat and sun off. that way you can do laundry and shop and party. Thats were you make friends and unwind to keep your head clear. It aint bad either way. Take your car if you can and forward your mail to fletc so you can get all your bills and whatever on time. And for whoever asked earlier in the forum, you do NOT get college credit for FLETC. some agencies do, but CBP aint one of them. You can send for your transcripts, but you just get a CDC certificate, all your test and practical exercise scores, and the class sylabus.

Comment

• Also keep in mind that in Georgia, no alcohal sales on sunday - so buy your beer during the week or on saturday at the Fletc express.

Or you'll be driving to Florida to buy it on sunday.

Comment

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
                                Trust me the best times you'll have at FLETC are your days off. Honestly for the 2 weeks 6 day weeks knocks off the academy, id rather have sat and sun off. that way you can do laundry and shop and party. Thats were you make friends and unwind to keep your head clear. It aint bad either way. Take your car if you can and forward your mail to fletc so you can get all your bills and whatever on time. And for whoever asked earlier in the forum, you do NOT get college credit for FLETC. some agencies do, but CBP aint one of them. You can send for your transcripts, but you just get a CDC certificate, all your test and practical exercise scores, and the class sylabus.
                                I definitely look forward to meeting friends. I can imagine how hard it will be with only one day off. Do you know if there are benefits to doing well on academic tests at FLETC? I've heard it's better for your promotion consideration.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7258 users online. 388 members and 6870 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X