300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
    Well...not necessarily true. In many ways a smaller port/geographical area may actually send out TO to lower scores than a larger port/geographical area.

Much has to do with how willing people are to work in a location and the size of it's pool. Lots of folks are willing to work in places like Port Huron, Michigan, much fewer are willing to work places like in Pittsburg, NH.

If JFK needs 100 officers and ND needs 40 and JFK has 1000 applicants and ND has 100 applicants, chances are ND will be drawing from the lower scores in their pool.
    Indeed!
    It would all fall back on how many people apply, pass, and are willing to take the post at such ports.
    Once again I stand corrected... Merlin Rocks!...
    CBPO
    Written: 08/29/2007
    EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• FYI, we were told today that starting with class CBPI-926 the run time is 15:30 for 1.5 mile. (Make sure you can do this… there are enough things to worry about towards graduation… you definitely want to pass this on your initial physical test.) Also, rumor has it that class 926 just went back to shooting the more difficult firearm course (I believe the 300). Also, a few pages back someone mentioned the Taj… every room was recently double bunked. They are pretty full at FLETC… so they have started renting the local hotels off campus (lucky me!). I am still the new guy on campus… but this place is what you make of it. Just remember what you are here for… some people tend to forget that you are being PAID to attend a Federal Law Enforcement academy… act accordingly.

Comment

*SIGH*

Why is it that no one gets the hiring/BI process? It's not simple..it's not easy and it doesn't happen over night. You want quick...watch TV. TV solves all it's problems in less than an hour. Uncle Sugar does not.

You shouldn't go phoning IA...they're busy. If IA needs something from you...guess what?...IA will be contacting you. Truthfully, you most likely shouldn't be phoning anyone, unless they're requesting you to. Phoning takes away from people's time. Someone has to answer the phone. That means someone is dropping what they're working on at the moment to pick up your call. Not working; stuck answering calls means the whole process goes slower for you and everybody else. If you need to contact someone...email them. Emails can be read and answered at anytime.

The average BI takes roughly 6-18 months. Notice the words "average" and "roughly". That means that many BI's take longer. Your friends, family, in-laws may be issues, especially if any are aliens, criminals or otherwise of interest. If you've held many jobs, moved a lot, worked in positions where it's possible that you could have misused sensitive information or your authority, your BI is probably going to take longer. That may include people with current clearances; you've got access to privilege information, someone might want to check out that you've not abused your access.

No one has to like it, but that's how it is. The system was never set up to please anybody, nor was it put in place expedite anyone through. It's set up to provide for some sort of order to 1000's of applications and to eventually fill 100's of positions.

In time, it'll all come to you. Sit back, go about life as if you never applied. Someday, at some time, your number will be called.
        This person knows what they are talking about. I currently have a Secret Clearance and am a Law Enforcement Officer in The Coast Guard which btw for those who don't know is a DHS agency and my job consisted of doing very similar things CBP officers do. My meeting with my BI was back in late August, and my background was just cleared last Wednesday. I know we are all very frustrated and anxious but be patient. At least you are still being considered.
        N.Y.P.D.

Passed:Exam# 3007 (1/2004) Military Extension
        Passed:Medical (1/2009)
        Passed:Psycological (1/2009)
        Passed(2:50):JST
        Passed:Mini-Medical
        January 2010 Academy:

CBP Officer

Exam Feb, 08: Passed
        Medical: Passed
        PT Test: Passed
        Qualifications GS7: Done
        VBT: Passed
        Backround: Done
        Whiz quiz: Passed with 100%
        Referred to TSU: 2/10/09
        Graduated FLETC: CBPI Class 941
        CBP Officer: Florida

Comment

• FYI, we were told today that starting with class CBPI-926 the run time is 15:30 for 1.5 mile.
          As long as I'm on a roll with the ranting...

80-85% of average 30 year-old males run the 1.5 mile faster than 15.5 while at FLETC.

http://www.fletc.gov/training/progra...old-male.html/

30-35% of average 30 year-old females run faster than 15.5.

http://www.fletc.gov/training/progra...d-female.html/

If you're a guy and you're uninjured and you're having problems running under the 15.5 run...why?

You've had months to train yourself, you knew this was coming, the goal is not that difficult... Chances are you don't have much for good excuses.

Ladies...pretty much the same thing.

You can't really study beforehand for the academics and the hiring process is mostly out of your hands. About the only thing an applicant can control it his/her fitness entering the academy. What are you doing about that?

Fitter people get injured less and are forced from the program less often. Fitter people are less stressed and are able to better focus their attentions to the other problem areas they might have. For the average person, I can't see a downside to being fitter...but there are plenty of upsides. It's to your advantage to prepare; to get in as good of shape for the program as you can. Take advantage of your time waiting...work out.

Keeping this job just might depend on it.

Comment

• Just curious is the test given on a track or on a path/road/trail? I'm guessing a track. I've was a cross country star back in HS but for some reason tracks just mind f--- me. Anyways 15:30 shouldn't be too hard for anyone with healthy knees and hips. Hell I ran a 16:40 two mile with a broken foot once.

Running is 85% mental. Once you convince yourself that you can take the pain and keep going the actual physical part is easy.

Comment

• 1/4 mile track.

Comment

• Anybody looking for a good laugh...check out this.

HR 264, the Save America Comprehensive Immigration Act of 2009

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...?bill=h111-264

Among other things, it pretty much guts most enforcement and hands out amnesty and waivers to pretty much everyone. On the other hand, it gives us all sorts of new 'toys' and GS-13 pay increases.

It's pretty much a hoot!

Comment

Anybody looking for a good laugh...check out this.

Among other things, it pretty much guts most enforcement and hands out amnesty and waivers to pretty much everyone. On the other hand, it gives us all sorts of new 'toys' and GS-13 pay increases.

It's pretty much a hoot!
                  I liked the 2007 version a lot better!

Edit to clarify, its basically the same if not an exact copy of the 2007 bill.
                  Last edited by madchiken; 01-31-2009, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Anybody looking for a good laugh...check out this.

It's pretty much a hoot!
                    You are late Merlin, check page 302

Comment

• Oh man, guys first day at work on Monday! I am pretty excited!! Hope all goes well.

They told me it will be a full day of orientation. So is it going to be a lot of paper signing and PowerPoint presentations? Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by s0lid snake View Post
                        Oh man, guys first day at work on Monday! I am pretty excited!! Hope all goes well.

They told me it will be a full day of orientation. So is it going to be a lot of paper signing and PowerPoint presentations? Thanks!
                        You will be filling out all your direct deposit forms, life insurance, health benefits options, etc. And you will be sworn in and take the oath and all that.

Comment

• Shooting

Interesting....Watch your surroundings there can always be more than one.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/6239646.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Hound77 View Post
                            Running is 85% mental. Once you convince yourself that you can take the pain and keep going the actual physical part is easy.
                            Amen to that! About a year ago I was prepping for a local PD physical which included a 1.5 miles run in 12:29 or less. For months, all I could seem to get myself to do was 12:00-12:20 miles, because I focused too hard on that as a goal. I started to really focus on the mental side of running, and learned to block out distractions. I ended up running in around 11:15.

Comment

• Originally posted by DirtStyx View Post
                              barnaj, I'm still stuck here waiting in MI too. Quals and background have been pending since Sept. and Nov. respectively. I had a friend that tested one week prior to me the first week in August and he is already in GA. I don't know whats going on, but it's starting to be painful.
                              Same boat as you. Let's hope things move along during Feb.
                              CBPO- Hawaii
                              Written: 07/31/08
                              TO: 09/23/08
                              Pre-employment Forms: Completed 10/09/08
                              Medical: Completed (11/12/08)
                              Drug Test: Completed (11/13/08)
                              Fitness: Completed (10/15/08)
                              VBT: Completed (11/20/08)
                              BI: Completed (2/19/09)
                              Qualifications: GS7 (3/13/09)
                              Referred to TSU: 3/13/09

IEA
                              TO: 11/4/08

Comment

• hm dabonk, looks like me and you have the same looking process going on. maybe we'll clear out the rest at the same time too.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4922 users online. 208 members and 4714 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X