300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1895bombdog
    The first thing you need to learn if you are considering a career with our government is never apply any common sense. If you do you will be wrong and very unhappy or disatisfied.
    You summed it all up right there!

Comment

gs-5 or gs-7

"Applicants who receive a preliminary notification of their eligibility for
      positions at the GS-7 grade level during the registration process are cautioned that they must actively apply for positions at the GS-5 level also in order to receive consideration at that level. If it turns out that their preliminary eligibility for the GS-7 level cannot be verified, there is no automatic default to the GS-5 level."

I just wanted to make sure I'm good to go for applying under gs-7. I have a B.S. degree with a 3.2 gpa. Is there something I might not know about that I should worry enough to apply for gs-5 as well?

Comment

Originally posted by leoiaf
        "Applicants who receive a preliminary notification of their eligibility for
        positions at the GS-7 grade level during the registration process are cautioned that they must actively apply for positions at the GS-5 level also in order to receive consideration at that level. If it turns out that their preliminary eligibility for the GS-7 level cannot be verified, there is no automatic default to the GS-5 level."

I just wanted to make sure I'm good to go for applying under gs-7. I have a B.S. degree with a 3.2 gpa. Is there something I might not know about that I should worry enough to apply for gs-5 as well?
        Do not apply for a GS5 position, apply for a GS 7. If you apply for both, they'll only offer you the 5 to save money. There are more 5 slots, so your chances at getting hired on are greater as a 5, but if you have a degree + military time, stick to your guns for 7.

Comment

I don't have military time though. I have been selected for officer training and pilot training through the Air National Guard, however I still need to go to officer school and pilot school. So for now I am simply an E3 waiting for dates that will come much later in time. Do you still think I should stick with GS-7?

Comment

OK my mistake, with only college you can go either way. Unless you're desparate for a job, I'd still stick with 7.
            Good luck.

Comment

All college applicants I see only got gs5. I have no college but years of experience and got gs7. Of course, I selected I would only take a gs7 job. Generally, the powers that be will select for 7's those that meet the criteria, select gs7 only, and if there are spots available.
              Those that select both will most likely, but not always, only receive gs5.

have fun

Comment

i got a score of 75. guess i should not expect to hear from them anytime soon or no time at all. no military background, but i do have a 4 year degree

Comment

I had 79 and started the rest of the process immediately. Of course, the whole process takes about a year or more.
                  Had a buddy who made 76 and he started immediately as well.

Comment

Location Preferences

If I put down NJ for the location I would like to work in, what are the options or areas they can assign me to. Are they hiring for large airports right now and Newark Airport would be the assigned area or it can be anywhere in NJ for new applicants? If there are multiple areas in NJ, can you please list them? If anyone here works in NJ can you please PM me?

Thank you for your help.

Comment

You could put where ever you want. They will offer you the end-of-the-earth details first. You'll just have to turn them down until you get what you want. From what I hear through the grape vine is that JFK is loosing people left and right. Nationwide, attrition is really high. I'm sure there are plenty of openings where you want to go. Just gonna hafta turn them down until some place seems nice.

Comment

Jfk

That's the problem, I put down NYC as my preference and found out JFK is losing people because of how they run things over there. I looked into switching my location to NJ hoping for Newark Airport or a port in NJ near NYC but in order for me to do that I need to turn down the conditional offer for NYC and hope I can open up the process again with NJ as my preference. I don't want do that if there is the chance of me getting knocked out of the application process for good or setting back the process back another 6 months. Any suggestions???

Comment

Unless they have changed what they are doing, usually lists are good for up to three years.

Trust me, if you take a job where you don't want to be, you are stuck there! They will not grant you a transfer except under extrordinary circumstances. Some folks manage to work out something. In the end, I knew one girl who had to quit to get a transfer to where her fiance moved to.

At your own risk, you just need to tell them i'd rather go to NJ and ask if there is something available. I knew a bunch of folks that did that, some waiting for nearly three years, holding out for what they wanted.

Comment

how are things ran at jfk? is the over time bad or the hours sux etc? please let me know because i toke the test and passed with a 75 with a degree to back me up (probably will take them a long time to get to me). I put down NYC>NJ>PA. So do i still have a good shot at getting a call to work at JFK? I wish that i would have put Georgia

Comment

Here's what I gathered on switching a location preference. If you were not offered a conditional letter of employment it's not a problem at all. You need to contact them and simply request the change in the form of an email or letter. If you have already been offered a conditional letter, then things are much more complicated. First you need to decline the offer, and then write to them requesting that the application process be opened up again, this time with the new location. My question to all of you here... is this a risky move???

Anyways the number to call is 612-467-7004.

Comment

Has anyone recieved a conditional letter from the CBP test a few months ago? I recieved a 88% and wait everyday to get the letter in the mail!!!

Thanks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5110 users online. 258 members and 4852 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X