Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Merlin--Just for the sake of discussion (not argument) we can tell people all of the details of the qualifications course and it really wouldn't matter. The qualification course is nothing but putting holes in paper, teaching the basics of how to shoot. Learning how to shoot is one thing. Everything taught at FLETC about how to shoot accurately is covered by any decent shooting instructor. How we as LEO use the skill is a whole different matter. The tactics are the really important part. Saying we have to shoot from the strong side behind a barricade then transition to weak side behind a barricade is also very vague. It doesn't describe the manner in which we are to stand, or how to actually use that ability in a tactical situation.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

    For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by aa737mia View Post
      All I am saying is that a majority of FLETC instruction (CBPO) leaves out many details. Maybe that is to prevent over thinking???
      Some how I missed this the first time. If you haven't been to FLETC exactly how do you know what is left out and what is taught. From you friends and wife? I don't see how you can talk authoritatively about something you haven't experienced. I had the fortune to stand next to someone who was a decent shot as well as a couple who were marginal and one who I thought would fail out due to shooting. That was a total of four people (not including me). Me and the guy next to me received very little instruction, because we were decent shots, from the start. Most of our instruction was given the first two or three classes to correct the bad habits we showed up with. After that the question for us wasn't whether we would pass or not, it was by how much we would pass. The two who were marginal received a little more instruction throughout the course. The young lady who was a bad shot received a lot more intense instruction. The day of qualification she passed by 10 or 20 points. Of the five of us one failed to qualify the first time. Even he admitted he stressed himself out and started yanking the trigger. This was his second time through the academy, the first time he failed to qualify with the pistol.

      From my experience the instructors we had were very knowledgeable and very helpful, for those who needed help (actually better than those I had in the military, local police academy, and the local PD). If we had questions while practicing they had no problem helping. If we didn't need the assistance then there was no sense in providing hours of extra instruction, when that time could be spent with someone who was having problems. I have one quirky habit I picked up on the streets, that doesn't effect my shooting, but the instructor asked about it and suggested an alternative. He also said that if I didn't like the way he was suggesting there was no issue with going back to my normal habit.
      But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

      For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by kc12 View Post
        Merlin--Just for the sake of discussion (not argument) we can tell people all of the details of the qualifications course and it really wouldn't matter. The qualification course is nothing but putting holes in paper, teaching the basics of how to shoot. Learning how to shoot is one thing. Everything taught at FLETC about how to shoot accurately is covered by any decent shooting instructor. How we as LEO use the skill is a whole different matter. The tactics are the really important part. Saying we have to shoot from the strong side behind a barricade then transition to weak side behind a barricade is also very vague. It doesn't describe the manner in which we are to stand, or how to actually use that ability in a tactical situation.
        I'm really not all that much in disagreement with you, I don't think it likely matters either. Still, how does anybody benefit from knowing any of it in advance?

        As I'm seeing it, it's not going to help any applicant knowing it beforehand...and as far off-base as it might be, it might actually actually turn around and bite somebody at some point.

        I'm just not seeing the need.

        Maybe my mind has finally cracked from all the FOUO, SBU, LES, etc. stuff CBP has jammed into it.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by rbakous1 View Post
          Yep, I've been a resident of pend-ville for roughly 9 weeks since the start of my BI. 5 months total No one seems to want to talk to me.
          I am sitting there also been waiting well March will be a year since I took the test my BI was August/September it is all a blur now lol. everytime the phone rings and it says Unavailable then it is a bill colector calling for the person that had my phone number last I yell at them and they still call back one of these times it is going to be THE CALL and I am scared I might yell thinking it is the other people....
          Tested March 08
          TO June 08
          Medical COMPLETE 12/08
          VBT complete 08 passed
          Qualification GS-5 September 08
          BI September 08 complete April 09

          FITNESS REDO AUG 7TH FAILED
          NOW IT IS TIME TO START ALL OVER AGAIN

          Comment


          • Originally posted by girly View Post
            I am sitting there also been waiting well March will be a year since I took the test my BI was August/September it is all a blur now lol. everytime the phone rings and it says Unavailable then it is a bill colector calling for the person that had my phone number last I yell at them and they still call back one of these times it is going to be THE CALL and I am scared I might yell thinking it is the other people....
            Yeah, seems like there is a bunch of us with the same timeline just waiting for the BI to clear. Probably sitting in the same pile. Maybe this week, maybe next month. Hopefully soon though.

            Comment


            • How many people here have everything done and is just waiting for " The Call"? and how long have you been waiting?
              N.Y.P.D.

              Passed:Exam# 3007 (1/2004) Military Extension
              Passed:Medical (1/2009)
              Passed:Psycological (1/2009)
              Passed(2:50):JST
              Passed:Mini-Medical
              January 2010 Academy:

              CBP Officer

              Exam Feb, 08: Passed
              Medical: Passed
              PT Test: Passed
              Qualifications GS7: Done
              VBT: Passed
              Backround: Done
              Whiz quiz: Passed with 100%
              Referred to TSU: 2/10/09
              Graduated FLETC: CBPI Class 941
              CBP Officer: Florida

              Comment


              • Originally posted by rbakous1 View Post
                Yep, I've been a resident of pend-ville for roughly 9 weeks since the start of my BI. 5 months total No one seems to want to talk to me.
                6 weeks in pend-ville today and 8 months total.

                Comment


                • Still Waiting

                  Originally posted by girly View Post
                  I am sitting there also been waiting well March will be a year since I took the test my BI was August/September it is all a blur now lol. everytime the phone rings and it says Unavailable then it is a bill colector calling for the person that had my phone number last I yell at them and they still call back one of these times it is going to be THE CALL and I am scared I might yell thinking it is the other people....

                  Still waiting here also BI was in October 08 No news is good news to me. I still check the mail everyday hoping I dont get a Bad news letter.

                  Comment


                  • Has anybody received a TO for El Paso from the last announcement in November?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by NUcj97 View Post
                      I cleared my medical today too - they called me immediately to schedule my fitness test - CASS and the hotline are behind...I cleared my drug test and found out through the hotline but CASS didnt update for three weeks!!
                      Florida bound cbpo, I think I might need that hotline number what would that be Thanks!!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by keith snelgrove View Post
                        Florida bound cbpo, I think I might need that hotline number what would that be Thanks!!
                        The number is 612-467-7040. Make sure you have your ID# because you will need it to check your status. Good luck.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by pheonix View Post
                          Still waiting here also BI was in October 08 No news is good news to me. I still check the mail everyday hoping I dont get a Bad news letter.
                          Haha, we have alot in common. I know how you feel brother.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by barnaj View Post
                            Haha, we have alot in common. I know how you feel brother.
                            +1

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                              Some how I missed this the first time. If you haven't been to FLETC exactly how do you know what is left out and what is taught. From you friends and wife? I don't see how you can talk authoritatively about something you haven't experienced. I had the fortune to stand next to someone who was a decent shot as well as a couple who were marginal and one who I thought would fail out due to shooting. That was a total of four people (not including me). Me and the guy next to me received very little instruction, because we were decent shots, from the start. Most of our instruction was given the first two or three classes to correct the bad habits we showed up with. After that the question for us wasn't whether we would pass or not, it was by how much we would pass. The two who were marginal received a little more instruction throughout the course. The young lady who was a bad shot received a lot more intense instruction. The day of qualification she passed by 10 or 20 points. Of the five of us one failed to qualify the first time. Even he admitted he stressed himself out and started yanking the trigger. This was his second time through the academy, the first time he failed to qualify with the pistol.

                              From my experience the instructors we had were very knowledgeable and very helpful, for those who needed help (actually better than those I had in the military, local police academy, and the local PD). If we had questions while practicing they had no problem helping. If we didn't need the assistance then there was no sense in providing hours of extra instruction, when that time could be spent with someone who was having problems. I have one quirky habit I picked up on the streets, that doesn't effect my shooting, but the instructor asked about it and suggested an alternative. He also said that if I didn't like the way he was suggesting there was no issue with going back to my normal habit.
                              Having been an Evaluator not for Firearms, but for many other weapon systems and programs. When you Evaluate the level of training you take any student pull them aside and say show me. If they can't do it well that's o.k., but the main issue is can they correct their mistakes. They understand the basic concepts, and may have difficulty executing them.

                              Once again there are a few good instructors, overall the program is marginal (CBPO). Just go to that range outside the gate and see how busy it is!

                              So having not been at FLETC and seeing her and her friend shoot I can say either
                              1. They were asleep during the training
                              2. They were never trained on some of the details
                              3. They were just not paying attention

                              Now knowing them, they are those bookworm, pay attention to every detail types that study all day everyday. So 1 & 3 I don't think apply.

                              As you know the military trains you to make judgements on the facts at hand, o.k. I wish I had taken them to the range before they failed the qual. That will not change.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by NAL06 View Post
                                I've gathered that joining the CBP's union, NTEU, is optional. I'm new to the union thing, so I decided to read up on some of the benefits. Why would CBPO's not join?

                                Belonging to the union has always been one of those odd little issues, mostly because of the interplay between legacy USCS/NTEU, legacy INS/AFGE and whoever represented the Aggies...it escapes me now. There was/is a fair amount of bad feelings over the final union choice, as there has been over many other things brought about because of the merger.

                                Many Officers swear by the union, it's their Grandma's apple pie...their king-cut prime rib...the greatest thing ever. Many others hate the union, it sucks...useless...waste of money. I tend to fall somewhere in the middle.

                                To me, it's worth joining...barely and it's useful...somewhat. I don't see it as making much of a difference overall, but it does provide some benefits.

                                Back to the question...reasons not to join the union...
                                ***disclaimer*** my opinion only...many Officers probably have other, equally valid views on the matter***

                                1: Cheapness - Most union benefits come to you whether you've joined the union or not.

                                2A. What ever your issue is...the union seems not to want to touch it. There's just a lot of Officers out there with issues that the union can't or won't get involved with. Why pay for representation when it's not addressing your needs?

                                2B. The union does a horrible job of reaching out to the Officers in medium to small ports...for the most part. Most union representation is focused on large ports...at least that's my view.

                                2C. The union tends to get itself wrapped up in silly issues instead of working to address larger problems. The union has been out there working on mostly trivial issues like cargo shorts and grooming standards, rather than being seen as addressing bigger issues, like scheduling and transferring/swaps. That's turn off many an officer.

                                To their credit though, they did push through 12D coverage for us. That alone pays for union dues.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 8504 users online. 437 members and 8067 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X