300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WSB_Hunter
    Most shooting problems are corrected with a change in grip or trigger finger. The slightest change in GOP, or even giving a tad bit more trigger finger can drastically effect where the shot lands. A good instructor can usually see what your doing wrong very quickly and give the right techniques to correct it. Not everyone may use the same grip, ex. both thumb forward which is more advanced, or thumb over thumb which is better for beginners. After you know what works for you, it's all practice, practice, practice. Don't expect to shoot double taps by someone giving you instructions, that skill is acquired from practice.

I am a CHL Instructor and a Firearms Instructor for my agency and WSB_Hunter is absolutely correct. Well put.

Comment

• There are 11 people in pre academy in Port Huron and I think about 20 people in pre academy at Detroit. So Michigan has done some hiring.

Comment

• WSB Hunter I agree.
        It is obvious that I am not a firearms instructor. I never claimed to be.
        What I do is take someones current skill set observing what they are doing right and wrong and fixing it.

FLETC firearms instruction as a "whole" is not very good. I know many CBP officers. I know many that have finished in the last few years. Most were military and all said the same thing. Easy to train someone who has experience to shoot. But the majority of folks failing have never done this before. That is a fact.

Now if the instructors don't feel they are there to get everyone to complete training that's new to me. Last I heard Academy's equip students to finish. To say here is what the site looks go get it is ridiculous. Why not just leave the books at the gate, guns at the range and just test eveyone weekly with no instruction? Save a lot of time and money. Only the Adults would finish I guess.

Many good points have been made but the fact still remains, the failures are folks that have very little weapons experience. I have no doubt my wife would have failed also.

So once again anyone going to FLETC that has never shot a gun should go to a range get in a few shooting sessions.
        Last edited by aa737mia; 01-23-2009, 09:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by co94 View Post
          I agree with Merlin. Also everything you just explained there does not seem that difficult. Better to let them teach you how they want it done. You can modify your own shooting style after Glynco. I was an MP for 3 years and have done the Glynco thing before. Listen to the instructors and you will pass. Then modify after training.
          Perception is the problem. To someone that has little weapons experience even with group instruction many details can affect the outome. All I am saying is that a majority of FLETC instruction (CBPO) leaves out many details. Maybe that is to prevent over thinking??? At the end of the day what is difficult to some may not be to others, but you instruct to the lowest common skill level.
          Last edited by aa737mia; 01-23-2009, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• New Vacancy Announcement

Heads up! There is a new vacancy announcement coming up on Jan. 30 for CBP Officers. If you have any family or friends that missed out on the last announcement let them know. CBP is recruting current CBP Officers for a TDY to the academy, preparing for high influx of new hires. Good luck to those still waiting for "The Call".

Comment

• Originally posted by Campbell3923 View Post
              There are 11 people in pre academy in Port Huron and I think about 20 people in pre academy at Detroit. So Michigan has done some hiring.
              There's about 15 or so of us in pre academy at dtw airport right now. Plus the 25+ coming back from fletc over the next couple months.

Comment

• Can somebody without a pistol permit go to a range to shoot? I've held off from paying NY state the $100+ for the permit, because I hoped to qualify by going through an academy.

Comment

• Hey guys, when you are at FLETC are you allowed to go to the range after class or during the weekend and practice shooting at your own time?

Comment

• Hello,

On average, how long is the CBPO process?

I ask because I'm looking into applying but I want to make sure logistically I can do the process. The story: I'm starting a 6-month reserve sheriff's academy in March. The subsequent field training is 4-6 months. So, I won't be able to leave Los Angeles for the next 10-12 months. If the CBPO process takes a year, there shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for any help or advice!
                    Focused Recruit

Comment

• Originally posted by Stugotz View Post
                      Hello,

I ask because I'm looking into applying but I want to make sure logistically I can do the process. The story: I'm starting a 6-month reserve sheriff's academy in March. The subsequent field training is 4-6 months. So, I won't be able to leave Los Angeles for the next 10-12 months. If the CBPO process takes a year, there shouldn't be a problem.

Not too sure... What I do know is that on Jan 30th, the announcement will open for CBPO on usajobs.gov.

Comment

• Originally posted by NAL06 View Post
                        Can somebody without a pistol permit go to a range to shoot? I've held off from paying NY state the $100+ for the permit, because I hoped to qualify by going through an academy.
                        Wow, $5 in IL. Over here you need a card or go with someone that has one.
                        You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

Comment

• Originally posted by s0lid snake View Post
                          Hey guys, when you are at FLETC are you allowed to go to the range after class or during the weekend and practice shooting at your own time?
                          No.

There's a simulated laser-like range you might be able to use on your own dime.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stugotz View Post
                            Hello,

Lately...I've been seeing several people push through in less than a year. Then again, I've seen several take 18 months or more...so I don't know what to tell you.

As a guess...and this is just a guess, I'd say a year is not an unreasonable expectation, especially if you have any issues that might creep up in your BI.

But if you're really worried about not having enough time, wait another 6 moths or so. The chances of CBP opening another announcement sometime between the close of this next one and the end of December are fairly close to certain.

Comment

• i hope i will never have to fire a gun in real life.

Comment

• Originally posted by waiting.waiting View Post
                                i hope i will never have to fire a gun in real life.
                                No clue where that came from haha, but be prepared to in FLETC and out in the field when forced to do so!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13342 users online. 522 members and 12820 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X