Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a H&K .40 USP Compact that we used. She too was low on almost all her rounds, and had no concept of grouping.

We first fixed the fact that center mass is the goal nothing else. Then we concentrated grouping all shots in the area the size of a saucer.

She couldn't do it. So I put a big X on the target with masking tape and told her to hit it. She couldn't. I then realized her site picture was wrong.

After ~ 50 rounds she could hit the X. I moved it around the target to ensure she was aiming for it all the time.

After that is was simple put the X in the center and hit it ALL THE TIME.

Then remove the X concentrate on the center of the target and continue to force your concentration on the site picture.

Her last practice we shot ~200 rounds and she had 3 off target rounds. All the rest were well wtihin optimum scoring range.

They stress SITE, SITE, SITE at FLETC but that is like saying Don't hit the ground while flying!
    Last edited by aa737mia; 01-23-2009, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NAL06 View Post
      They gave me two full weeks notice for EOD and about five weeks for FLETC, personally I couldn't have asked for more.
      That is plenty for me. That is all I need too. Now all they have to do is call me....lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by code 09 View Post
        Yoda,

I am sorry to hear you have been waiting for 13 months, I hope I don't have to wait so long and if I do I expect it will be worth it. When you met your BI did you had a second interview or did they ask for more information?
        There are NO second interviews (not that I'm aware of anyways), your investigator might contact you after meeting you to ask for additional information he may have missed on the interview while making his report. Your Investigator is a private contractor who has only a few weeks time to Interview you and your contacts/references, finish his report and send it in to DC. After that it is up to the Adjudicator, if there is nothing that comes up you'll clear in about 3 to 6 months, if something does come up they'll toss your file aside and deal with it when they feel like it. At least that's how it was with me and some other folks in here I helped out. Those who clear before meeting their Investigator or right after meeting the investigator (2 or 3 weeks) are given "interim" clearances, meaning that they look good on paper and nothing really caught their attention and they'll push you through to get hired very quick... The one draw back with this, as it has been happening with a few here is, that after these people get the call and are just a few days from reporting at the port they call them and tell them that something came up as a security concern and that their offer had been withdrawn. Leaving them hanging because they left their jobs already for CBP and now a few days before reporting there is no more CBP, until the issue is resolved and that usually means a NOPA. From then on it all depends on the adjudicator...
        CBPO
        Written: 08/29/2007
        EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by aa737mia View Post
          I have been through 20+ years of Military training and can say that if I was going to FLETC. I would
          a. Rent a HK P2000 at an indoor range
          b. Shoot at 3y and 7y one handed (strong and weak)
          c. Shoot at 15 yard Weaver stance center mass as a goal
          d. Shoot for perfection from day one. Don't accept any hit outside of center mass.

Just my opinion.

No Weaver stance for CBP/ FLETC. Isoceles stance only.

With all due respect, why are you telling people to show up with shooting habits they're only going to have to unlearn once there?

After graduation one can pretty much shoot however he wants...within reason. While playing on the FLETC playground though, you'll be playing by their rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by aa737mia View Post
            Girly my .02C on Firearms training at FLETC. Did I ever go to FLETC NO. My wife finished FLETC a while back and had problems with the Firearms Qual. The best way to evaluate training programs are evaluated is look at what comes out the other end. What they can and cannot do!

I took her to the range and just watched and asked what she was doing, and thinking. Since she had never fired a gun before all her knowledge was given to her by the FLETC instructors. It was not very good. 99.9% of what they are concerened about is safety (understandable), and 75% of most classes have folks with some weapons experience. Out of the ~25% that have no weapons experience I would bet the failures fall in that group! Its easy to take an ex-military guy and get him through the firearms qual. Does that make you a good instructor?
            They rarely provided her constuctive inputs, more like "what are you doing, this is the way you do it...." Not much of the O.K. lets correct this. Lets see your trends are..... What do you see when ....... I always thought Shooters are made not born.

There are 2-3 Really good instuctors that are the exception to this, but there is a problem.

They say don't learn any bad habits and have to unlearn them at FLETC. Well, how you aim, what the site picture is like, how to hold your arms and your stance are all things that can be practiced NOW.

I corrected my wifes, stance, her site picture, her hands, arms virtually everything. She finished with an almost perfect score at re-qual.

Did I do it all NO. Just shooting the gun at FLETC provided a level of comfort with the weapon, but her ability to correct mistakes was never taught to her. The goal of a perfect score was never discussed. The fact that at 3y YOU SHOULD NOT MISS! Weak or Strong hand 1 or 2 misses were acceptable.

I have been through 20+ years of Military training and can say that if I was going to FLETC. I would
            a. Rent a HK P2000 at an indoor range
            b. Shoot at 3y and 7y one handed (strong and weak)
            c. Shoot at 15 yard Weaver stance center mass as a goal
            d. Shoot for perfection from day one. Don't accept any hit outside of center mass.

Just my opinion.
            I agree with Merlin. Also everything you just explained there does not seem that difficult. Better to let them teach you how they want it done. You can modify your own shooting style after Glynco. I was an MP for 3 years and have done the Glynco thing before. Listen to the instructors and you will pass. Then modify after training.

Comment

• Vbt

My VBT is scheduled for monday @ JFK. Anyone have advice besides the standard "keep a customer service mind-frame"? Also is "business casual" acceptable? (ie. nice button down khakis no tie.) Thanks guys and wish me luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by imlikeaninja View Post
                My VBT is scheduled for monday @ JFK. Anyone have advice besides the standard "keep a customer service mind-frame"? Also is "business casual" acceptable? (ie. nice button down khakis no tie.) Thanks guys and wish me luck.
                Besides the "customer service mindset", wear a suit!... That's about it...
                Remember they still call it a STRUCTURED INTERVIEW and not a Video Based Test, so it would be best to dress for the job.
                Last edited by yoda; 01-23-2009, 01:53 PM.
                CBPO
                Written: 08/29/2007
                EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• i say you don't have to wear a suit. shirt and tie should be ok. stupid me didn't read up on the VBT before going there. i showed up wearing a hooded sweater and jeans. i still passed

Comment

I don't know if I call it a 'customer service mindset'...more like 'special education'.

Ultimately...you're going to have to convince people to do what's needed.

If it takes offering them 5 minutes of ' Dora the Explorer videos' to motivate them to cooperate, then let them 'watch TV'...if by giving them a 'cookie' you can prod them into doing whatever they need to do, hand out 'cookies', at least as long as it's working. If it's not working, try to bring in a supervisor. CBP loves to have their supervisors in the soup, so to speak.

In the end though...if you have to go 'hands on', you gotta go 'hands on'.
                    Last edited by merlin436; 01-23-2009, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Suit... if not possible shirt and tie, remember people will be watching this to evaluate you.
                      Treat it like any other job interview that you would go on, dress for success.

Comment

• I distinctly remember the first day at the range at FLETC the instructor explaining and demonstrating the correct sight alignment. The last I checked everyone has to be an adult when they are hired so something as simple as sight alignment should not have to be repeated. Once on the range, the instructors I had stressed sight alignment and trigger control. After particularly tough shooting days the instructors would remind us of the proper sight alignment and trigger control. The reality is telling us something is just giving theory, it was up to the students to put it into practice.

Given the experience of the class as a whole, the instructors were more concerned with getting the most number of people to qualify, not getting people to qualify expert. The course was a basic class. I have many years experience shooting, both with the military and local PD, and within 10 minutes on the range and instructor noticed something I was doing and told me how to correct it. That one item increased my score to the high 280's. In the real world going through houses and confined spaces it isn't effective, but for target shooting is works.

I agree perfect shooing should be the goal, however when the instructors are dealing with 20-25 students, some who are afraid of firearms, they are pretty much stuck dealing with those who flinch a lot or jerk the trigger to get them to calm down and qualify. It would have been nice if we could have gone and practiced a bit more with the instructors there for one on one time, but it is/was not possible.
                        But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by primetime24 View Post
                          Suit... if not possible shirt and tie, remember people will be watching this to evaluate you.
                          Treat it like any other job interview that you would go on, dress for success.
                          I wore a short and tie with a winter coat over it, since it was in January. Good thing because i dont have a suitcoat that fits!

Comment

• Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                            I distinctly remember the first day at the range at FLETC the instructor explaining and demonstrating the correct sight alignment. The last I checked everyone has to be an adult when they are hired so something as simple as sight alignment should not have to be repeated. Once on the range, the instructors I had stressed sight alignment and trigger control. After particularly tough shooting days the instructors would remind us of the proper sight alignment and trigger control. The reality is telling us something is just giving theory, it was up to the students to put it into practice.

Given the experience of the class as a whole, the instructors were more concerned with getting the most number of people to qualify, not getting people to qualify expert. The course was a basic class. I have many years experience shooting, both with the military and local PD, and within 10 minutes on the range and instructor noticed something I was doing and told me how to correct it. That one item increased my score to the high 280's. In the real world going through houses and confined spaces it isn't effective, but for target shooting is works.

I agree perfect shooing should be the goal, however when the instructors are dealing with 20-25 students, some who are afraid of firearms, they are pretty much stuck dealing with those who flinch a lot or jerk the trigger to get them to calm down and qualify. It would have been nice if we could have gone and practiced a bit more with the instructors there for one on one time, but it is/was not possible.
                            "Front sight, slow down. Front sight, slow down. Front sight, slow down. Front sight, slow down." Get used to hearing it!

Comment

• Originally posted by code 09 View Post
                              Keith,

I started my BI on 09/08 and all other items were checked, I met with the investigator on Nov08 and still pending. I called on Dec08 to find out and I was told they need lots of people, not sure if they meant in FL or all of the US. What is your status?
                              tested on: 12/09/08....unfortunately just starting the process....hopefully florida is in need for a lot and I mean a lot of cbpo.... would love to get rolling

Comment

• My BI was with the Department of Treasury. He met me at my house. He complimented me for dressing in a full suit and tie. He said, a lot of applicants don't dress to impress and that speaks to the integridy of the applicant.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8772 users online. 440 members and 8332 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X