300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey NY Guys,

I am currently in the process of waiting... I have finished all of my requirements, I am just waiting on them to update in CASS. When I selected my geo pref I picked Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo. Any idea of the chances I might get Syracuse? That's where I currently live and while Buffalo is a bigger city and not all that far I would like to stay around here if at all possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
      I grew up in the Adirondacks. I have lots of relatives in places like Fulton, Oswego and Watertown. I know all too well what lake-effect snow is and how crappy NNY weather can be.

Still, there's nothing stopping you from running in it other than your head. If you dress appropriately for the cold weather, there's little to worry about.

Heck it's easier to workout in the cold than in the heat. Waste heat can kill you in the summer, it shouldn't be much of a problem in the winter.
      I see visions of Rocky in my near future! haha

Comment

I was on the treadmill once while there...I think.

As I see it, there's little chance of seeing much for black-flagging at FLETC before June. That likely means anyone heading down that way anytime between now and March is probably going to be spending a least a few good months outside on the track or the trails.
        Yeah i was there June, July, August. Insert the song "the heat is on" here!
        Track i could deal with, but those trails with the red ants and mosquitos i could go the rest of my life without!

Comment

• Originally posted by NYBob View Post
          Hey NY Guys,

I am currently in the process of waiting... I have finished all of my requirements, I am just waiting on them to update in CASS. When I selected my geo pref I picked Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo. Any idea of the chances I might get Syracuse? That's where I currently live and while Buffalo is a bigger city and not all that far I would like to stay around here if at all possible.

Not sure what possibilities would be, I thought I read somewhere that western new york(buffalo) included areas as far west as syracuse, but i dont' know where your would be placed, ... Anyone else got any idea?

Comment

• Originally posted by NAL06 View Post
            I wasn't trying to start an argument, just stating fact that its been pretty brutal the last few weeks. Obviously the elements in Buffalo wouldn't be nearly as bad as what we'd be up against at FLETC, so it would be good practice. Usually its the not cold I worry about, rather the un-shoveled sidewalks and icy conditions in the street..that's not even taking into account the wind chill. Needless to say, the thought of weather in Glynco doesn't particularly scare me.
            I'm not trying to start an argument either, I'm just saying running outside during the winter can be done fairly easily and in the long run is more beneficial.

Comment

• Reason I'm asking is because I received a letter in the mail but never got to see it because the damn mail man lost it when he returned it to the post office. Right now I am not expecting any mail from anyone and especially not a letter so only thing I'm thinking it could be is something having to do with the CBPO application process. I have had it out with the post office and they said they will call me when it comes up if it comes up. Now I called MHC yesterday to see what they can tell me and she said that everything on my profile looked fine and that there were no bullets nor notes on my profile and I mentioned the word Nopa to her and she never heard of it. I just basically wanted to know who issues the NOPA'S if not MHC or if MHC would know or be notified if a nopa was issued or if the candidate was found unsuitable for employment. By the way I met with the BI Nov 5 2008. Thanks guy's

Comment

I'm not trying to start an argument either, I'm just saying running outside during the winter can be done fairly easily and in the long run is more beneficial.
                Agreed. I know someone in the NYSP Academy in Albany, and they run upwards of 3 miles a day out in whatever weather Mother Nature has planned for that day.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYBob View Post
                  Hey NY Guys,

Syracuse is possible, but not real likely...especially for a new hire. Syracuse is fairly small, as is Rochester. The chances of them needing new people are going to be slim and if they do have an opening...most likely it'll be someone coming in from Buffalo or elsewhere that's going to fill it.

No harm in asking though. Just don't hold your breath over it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ENSNIPE507 View Post
                    Reason I'm asking is because I received a letter in the mail but never got to see it because the damn mail man lost it when he returned it to the post office. Right now I am not expecting any mail from anyone and especially not a letter so only thing I'm thinking it could be is something having to do with the CBPO application process. I have had it out with the post office and they said they will call me when it comes up if it comes up. Now I called MHC yesterday to see what they can tell me and she said that everything on my profile looked fine and that there were no bullets nor notes on my profile and I mentioned the word Nopa to her and she never heard of it. I just basically wanted to know who issues the NOPA'S if not MHC or if MHC would know or be notified if a nopa was issued or if the candidate was found unsuitable for employment. By the way I met with the BI Nov 5 2008. Thanks guy's
                    MHC knows nothing about and doesn't deal with "security" issues, that is handled by Security Personnel/Internal Affairs in DC. NOPA's (Notice Of Proposed Action) are sent out Certified Mail with delivery confirmation (someone has to sign for it) so that they know you received the letter and can't claim you never got it. Now your mailman can see that it is coming from DHS to you, it would be extremely negligent on his part to "loose" such letter.
                    CBPO
                    Written: 08/29/2007
                    EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• How long should it take for it to change from complete (all parts) to letting me know that I'm in TSU?...They just went complete yesterday morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
                        MHC knows nothing about and doesn't deal with "security" issues, that is handled by Security Personnel/Internal Affairs in DC. NOPA's (Notice Of Proposed Action) are sent out Certified Mail with delivery confirmation (someone has to sign for it) so that they know you received the letter and can't claim you never got it. Now your mailman can see that it is coming from DHS to you, it would be extremely negligent on his part to "loose" such letter.
                        Thanks YODA. Now in a situation where It was a Nopa and the mail man did loose the letter who would I contact. Thanks Guys.

Comment

Thanks YODA. Now in a situation where It was a Nopa and the mail man did loose the letter who would I contact. Thanks Guys.
                          I would call the CASS hotline and leave a message. Maybe they can direct it to the right personnel. At least thats something, you have to try so you dont get screwed.

Comment

If the letter was never confirmed, or if it was sent back to the sender, you should get another one. As to who to contact, being that you're running on an assumption, can't help you there. You just have to wait and see if your mailman gets a hold on it or if you get it sent back to you... whatever it is.
                            If you haven't cleared your BI by May let me know.
                            CBPO
                            Written: 08/29/2007
                            EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by primetime24 View Post
                              I see visions of Rocky in my near future! haha
                              Well...Rocky would have had little problems at FLETC.

As I see it, there's little an applicant can do to prepare for FLETC...outside of getting into shape. The better shape you're in, the easier the physical part of the program is going to be. The guy going in who can do 12 chin-ups, 100 sit-ups and 100 push-ups is going to coast through the program, the guy coming in who's doing 2 chin-ups, 20 push-ups and 20 sit-ups is going to struggle pretty much the whole time.

Why make it a struggle if you don't need to? A few months of pre-FLETC workouts can make all the difference between being slightly uncomfortable during the academy and finishing up in serious pain, between graduating in the top 15% of the class or heading back to your port injured and/or possibly being out of a job. Why risk it?

Comment

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
                                You are correct my friend, it is all a crapshoot. I dont care what some people on this site or other sites might say about all these timelines and expected processing times. You now know first hand that it just goes by your investigator and by luck of the draw. Like anything else in life, some BI's might be more laid back than others and more apt to give someone a break and write a good report and not just fixating on one screwup in their life. And others may take a more than qualified candidate and pick them apart until they find something bad about their past.
                                By the way, my friend is the last person you would think would be hired by law enforcement. He's applied to local and state police agencies and always kicked out during the background process. For some reason he passed CBP.
                                Seriously, it's a crap shoot. I was in the army, have a college diploma, already work for DHS, my background is clean. Crap shoot!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4369 users online. 223 members and 4146 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X