300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dreCBPONYC08 View Post
    Can anyone tell me is there a set schedule for pre-academy? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
    There isn't a set schedule for Pre-A.

It'll vary widely from port to port. Pre-A is more or less a hodgepodge of busy work, job shadowing, computer training, paperwork and the like. About the only thing that that'll be fairly consistent with it...expect daytime hours with weekends and holidays off.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
      There isn't a set schedule for Pre-A.

It'll vary widely from port to port. Pre-A is more or less a hodgepodge of busy work, job shadowing, computer training, paperwork and the like. About the only thing that that'll be fairly consistent with it...expect daytime hours with weekends and holidays off.
      Thank you Merlin for your response, greatly appreciate it.
      Test: Mar 08
      NOR: Mar 08
      TO: JUN 08
      INTERVIEW: JUL 08 pass
      MED/FIT: JUL 08 pass
      DRUG TEST: AUG 08 pass
      PRE-EMPFORMS: AUG 08 pending document of military service.
      QUALS: SEP 08 GS-5
      BI: interview OCT 14th, cleared OCT 22nd
      GEO PREF: NYC/JFK
      TSU: NOV 25th
      EOD: DEC 15th Had to decline due to Military obligation.
      Back in the pipline for new EOD.
      NEW EOD: JAN 20th
      FLETC: FEB 20th, Class No: CBPI-931

Comment

• Appreciated Response

Originally posted by Dfly123 View Post
        I am working at Miami Int Airport. and yesterday I worked 12 hours, and it was non stop... two 20 min breaks, and that is about it. The time goes by pretty fast and you really dont notice how many people you interact with on a daily basis.

To compare it to and local pd deputy position, would be very difficult... PD you see a lot more "action" (speaking from Miami, Landborder plenty of action). At MIA, its def more of investigative and people reading skills then anything, 95% of people are law biding citizens... just having the right questions and trusting instincts is what helps you find that other 5%. At MIA, chances of you having to pull your weapon, maybe <1%. Arrest due to fraud, 20%, finding drugs 40%... and it changes on a daily basis. You never know what to expect, but without the fist fights, murder scenes, domestic violence etc etc.

For me, CBP is a very good stepping stone that you can not get with local PD... maybe to another agency, maybe to another area of CBP (there are plenty), but if life on "the beat" is what your looking for... I wouldnt expect it with CBP, again... speaking from a busy airport point of view, a place like San Ysidro... different story. (my plan is to transfer to a land border at GS11)
        Dfly, thank you for your responses. It is very good to hear that the OT is there whenever necessary. I like the fact that a 12 hour shift goes by fast. You do seem happy, I wish you all the best. Congratulations on the graduation and stay sharp on them terrorists .
        Young people will change the old wicked ways of the past.sigpic

Comment

• Does anyone know how NOPA letters arrive? Is it just in regular mail in the mail box or is it a certified letter that has to be delivered directly to the recipient? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ENSNIPE507 View Post
            Does anyone know how NOPA letters arrive? Is it just in regular mail in the mail box or is it a certified letter that has to be delivered directly to the recipient? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
            NOPA's arrive via USPS certified mail... I believe that anyone at your address can sign for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dfly123 View Post
              I am working at Miami Int Airport. and yesterday I worked 12 hours, and it was non stop... two 20 min breaks, and that is about it. The time goes by pretty fast and you really dont notice how many people you interact with on a daily basis.

To compare it to and local pd deputy position, would be very difficult... PD you see a lot more "action" (speaking from Miami, Landborder plenty of action). At MIA, its def more of investigative and people reading skills then anything, 95% of people are law biding citizens... just having the right questions and trusting instincts is what helps you find that other 5%. At MIA, chances of you having to pull your weapon, maybe <1%. Arrest due to fraud, 20%, finding drugs 40%... and it changes on a daily basis. You never know what to expect, but without the fist fights, murder scenes, domestic violence etc etc.

For me, CBP is a very good stepping stone that you can not get with local PD... maybe to another agency, maybe to another area of CBP (there are plenty), but if life on "the beat" is what your looking for... I wouldnt expect it with CBP, again... speaking from a busy airport point of view, a place like San Ysidro... different story. (my plan is to transfer to a land border at GS11)
              12 hours is very manageable to me. At my current job(Corrections), it's double or nothin'. 16 hours, because you are covering for a no-show. 12 will seem like a 'walk in the park'.

Comment

• Originally posted by acbpo09 View Post
                12 hours is very manageable to me. At my current job(Corrections), it's double or nothin'. 16 hours, because you are covering for a no-show. 12 will seem like a 'walk in the park'.

8 hour OT shifts are more or less the norm at most landborder PoE's. You'll find exceptions, but expect 16 hour days if you're looking at a land border.
                Last edited by merlin436; 01-20-2009, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Everything has completed for me as of today, so hopefully TSU is just around the corner!!

Comment

• Originally posted by NAL06 View Post
                    Everything has completed for me as of today, so hopefully TSU is just around the corner!!

Congrats...

Hopefully we'll see you in GA soon

Comment

• Does Anyone Know Who Sends Out The Nopa Letters. I Just Got Off The Phone With Mhc And They Said They Have Not Sent Me Any Letter Atleast From Mhc. Damn Post Office Cant Find My Letter So I Dont Know Who Its From.. Super Nervous..

Comment

• hello everyone.

I was contacted by TSU in early december told me that i will start on Jan. 5 2009 and received the employment letter the next day. however, i got a call from TSU on december 29, 2008 telling me that there is a security issue and i will be contact by IA. after that i haven't heard from anyone. i called TSU but no answer.
                        any idea what is going on? thank you for any help.

Comment

• Originally posted by waiting.waiting View Post
                          hello everyone.

I was contacted by TSU in early december told me that i will start on Jan. 5 2009 and received the employment letter the next day. however, i got a call from TSU on december 29, 2008 telling me that there is a security issue and i will be contact by IA. after that i haven't heard from anyone. i called TSU but no answer.
                          any idea what is going on? thank you for any help.
                          Ive read about this from someone with the same problem. I thought he/she said there class date was cancelled until the issue is cleared up. Id keep calling TSU.

Comment

• Three Questions.....

1) Anybody from the San Diego area receive "the call" within the last month?

2) Are you all watching Homeland Security on ABC?!

And lastly...

It's been an average of about 80 degrees here in San Diego...how's it going over there East Coast?!
                            CBPO - SW Border Locations, CA
                            Tested: 8/19/08
                            EOD: 2/23/09
                            FLETC: 3/25/09 Class 937

Comment

• i'm still waiting for "the call" over here on the east coast, and the temp. is about 30 degrees ...brrrr lol

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                                8 hour OT shifts are more or less the norm at most landborder PoE's. You'll find exceptions, but expect 16 hour days if you're looking at a land border.
                                Not on a land border. Heard that most shifts where I am going are 10-12 hours. No problem.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10243 users online. 393 members and 9850 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X