Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Jkoves View Post
    Hello all, I checked with MHC today about the double investigation requests in e-QIP and found out that it was a screw up on thier part. I was hoping it meant that a TO was coming for a CBPO position but I'm not that lucky. I'll be 37 in a few months, so BPA may be the only choice.
    Alright, had to re-edit this a couple times, I've been kind of confused with the age requirement. I found this:
    In accordance with Public Law 110-161, this position is covered under special retirement provisions for Customs and Border Protection Officers; therefore, candidates must be referred for selection for this position before reaching their 37th birthday. This age restriction may not apply if you are serving or have served in a federal civilian (not military) law enforcement position covered by Title 5 U.S.C. 8336(c) or Title 5 U.S.C 8412(d).

    Ok, can someone clarify, does that mean you have to have a training date prior to your 37th birthday, or what is referred for selection, a T.O.?

    Also, if you started the process prior to Public Law 110-161 going into effect, does the age rule apply to you, or are you 'grandfathered in' under the old Law.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Flyer13 View Post
      Alright, had to re-edit this a couple times, I've been kind of confused with the age requirement. I found this:
      In accordance with Public Law 110-161, this position is covered under special retirement provisions for Customs and Border Protection Officers; therefore, candidates must be referred for selection for this position before reaching their 37th birthday. This age restriction may not apply if you are serving or have served in a federal civilian (not military) law enforcement position covered by Title 5 U.S.C. 8336(c) or Title 5 U.S.C 8412(d).

      Ok, can someone clarify, does that mean you have to have a training date prior to your 37th birthday, or what is referred for selection, a T.O.?

      Also, if you started the process prior to Public Law 110-161 going into effect, does the age rule apply to you, or are you 'grandfathered in' under the old Law.
      I think that if you began your process before CBPO's got "covered" you are fine. That is if you got your TO in late 2007 or so!... But then again who knows how they play it out.
      You have up to the day of your 37th BD to EOD, if not you would need a waiver of some sort to be hired...
      Hope this helps...
      BTW
      Merlin would be more qualified to answer this question... or maybe you should give MHC a call to make sure.
      Last edited by yoda; 01-12-2009, 01:29 PM.
      CBPO
      Written: 08/29/2007
      EOD: July 11, 2011

      Comment


      • Anyone else in Class 931?
        Test: Mar 08
        NOR: Mar 08
        TO: JUN 08
        INTERVIEW: JUL 08 pass
        MED/FIT: JUL 08 pass
        DRUG TEST: AUG 08 pass
        PRE-EMPFORMS: AUG 08 pending document of military service.
        QUALS: SEP 08 GS-5
        BI: interview OCT 14th, cleared OCT 22nd
        GEO PREF: NYC/JFK
        TSU: NOV 25th
        EOD: DEC 15th Had to decline due to Military obligation.
        Back in the pipline for new EOD.
        NEW EOD: JAN 20th
        FLETC: FEB 20th, Class No: CBPI-931

        Comment


        • Originally posted by dreCBPONYC08 View Post
          Anyone else in Class 931?
          I'm in 931!

          Comment


          • Hello Everyone. New to the forum and spent quite a bit of time tring to find answers to my questions before I ask them to all of you, so I hope you don't mind & I'll try to keep them short and sweet. 1. Does anyone know how receptive CBP is in regards to pay (grade/step) matching to other Fed agencies (I'm just about to hit my 6/2 with another Fed LE agency which is on the Gl scale)? 2. My SSBI is not even a year old & completed by OPM, will they redo the entire thing, or adjudicate it off of their standards? 3. Lastly, my TO says New York / JFK. Does that mean strictly JFK or can that mean Manhattan as well? Thank you so much for any info you can provide.
            _____________________________________
            Test: Sept 08
            NOR: Oct 08 (98 - no vet)
            TO: Dec 08
            FORMS / VBT / MED / FIT / DRUG : Completed Feb 09
            PENDING: QUALS / BI (in security office)
            GEO PREF: NYC/JFK

            Comment


            • Originally posted by FOBOPS View Post
              Hello Everyone. New to the forum and spent quite a bit of time tring to find answers to my questions before I ask them to all of you, so I hope you don't mind & I'll try to keep them short and sweet. 1. Does anyone know how receptive CBP is in regards to pay (grade/step) matching to other Fed agencies (I'm just about to hit my 6/2 with another Fed LE agency which is on the Gl scale)? 2. My SSBI is not even a year old & completed by OPM, will they redo the entire thing, or adjudicate it off of their standards? 3. Lastly, my TO says New York / JFK. Does that mean strictly JFK or can that mean Manhattan as well? Thank you so much for any info you can provide.
              I know for sure that the BPA BI carries over, non of the other ones do. If you are a current Fed Employee they'll match your current salary with Steps, if you go in GS-5 it'll be GS-5 step 2/3 whatever... You need to see what your GEO pref. includes, I'm not sure if JFK only means JFK or if there are multiple ports (Air/Sea) included.
              Hope this helped...
              CBPO
              Written: 08/29/2007
              EOD: July 11, 2011

              Comment


              • New vacancy announcement will be open January 30th - February 16th according to the CBP website.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Jkoves View Post
                  Hello all, I checked with MHC today about the double investigation requests in e-QIP and found out that it was a screw up on thier part. I was hoping it meant that a TO was coming for a CBPO position but I'm not that lucky. I'll be 37 in a few months, so BPA may be the only choice. I've already started the BPA process. From what I've been told the BI is exactly the same and can be used for either BPA or CBPO. So, if someday that magical TO for CBPO shows up I'll be that much ahead. If not, I guess I'll get my butt kicked down in NM (BPA Training) for a few months.


                  Merlin, I believe your in North Dakota. Do you have any insight as to trainees heading your way?

                  Has anyone received a TO for North Dakota recently?
                  If you get a TO before you turn 37 you should be alright...if not...BP is probably your best bet. Label everything you send in with a big, noticable "AGE!" on a post-it. Make sure you mention your age in every phone call. It might help...it can't hurt.

                  ND is pretty much always short-staffed, as is most other places. I'm not really in the loop as far as recent hirings go...but somewhere, east or west, some port is looking to fill a spot or more.

                  Comment


                  • New Cbpo Post

                    CBP Officer: Serve on the Nation's frontline at our air and sea ports of entry. Vacancy Announcement open January 30-February 16.

                    More to come

                    http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/

                    If theres anything good I might relocate so that someone, somewhere will issue me a T.O.
                    CBPO:
                    EXAM: 8/08
                    NOR: 9/9/08 - 98
                    T.O.: 2/2/09
                    GEO - E. TX
                    Forms - 2/6/09
                    Quals - 4/13/09
                    Med - 2/27/09 Clr 4/10/09
                    VBT - 3/10/09 Clr 4/6/09
                    UDS - 6/24/09
                    BI - Met w. B.I. 4/12/09 clr 7/2/09
                    Fitness - 3/9/09
                    TSU - 7/2/09
                    ___________________

                    Law Enforcement Specialist (ICE)
                    GEO: VT
                    NOR: 99 (GS-11)
                    T.O.: 10/28/09
                    B.I.: clr 3/12/10
                    E.O.D.: 4/11/2010!!!

                    Comment


                    • Hey guys so I have completed everything...will it speed things up if I call/email MHC and asked if they will send me to TSU or should I just wait?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by FOBOPS View Post
                        Hello Everyone. New to the forum and spent quite a bit of time tring to find answers to my questions before I ask them to all of you, so I hope you don't mind & I'll try to keep them short and sweet. 1. Does anyone know how receptive CBP is in regards to pay (grade/step) matching to other Fed agencies (I'm just about to hit my 6/2 with another Fed LE agency which is on the Gl scale)? 2. My SSBI is not even a year old & completed by OPM, will they redo the entire thing, or adjudicate it off of their standards? 3. Lastly, my TO says New York / JFK. Does that mean strictly JFK or can that mean Manhattan as well? Thank you so much for any info you can provide.
                        1: if you're coming in from a DHS agency they'll likely pay match. If not...they might...they might not. They may offer you a 5/10 and you'll eat the loss of a couple of grand or so.

                        2: Unless it's a CBP BI, they'll do another.

                        3. It could mean Manhattan, sure. As a new hire your chances of getting Manhattan are likely somewhere between that of getting hit by lightning and winning Mega Millions.

                        It's a dream...but not much more than that.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by s0lid snake View Post
                          Hey guys so I have completed everything...will it speed things up if I call/email MHC and asked if they will send me to TSU or should I just wait?
                          Wait. It will come shortly. They get enough emails and calls during the day. I doubt it would have any effect anyways.

                          Comment


                          • Thanks to all who answered my questions. Moving from BOP to CBP is worth potentially losing some money on the frontside due to the quicker promotion (GS-11 takes forever in the BOP), plus I'll be going from the PHL locality to NY locality which makes up from going from GL to GS pay scale. Manhattan would be nice, but JFK isn't that much further by train.
                            _____________________________________
                            Test: Sept 08
                            NOR: Oct 08 (98 - no vet)
                            TO: Dec 08
                            FORMS / VBT / MED / FIT / DRUG : Completed Feb 09
                            PENDING: QUALS / BI (in security office)
                            GEO PREF: NYC/JFK

                            Comment


                            • Wait a sec. You tested in September and got a TO for JFK. I've been waiting for JFK to open up since July and keep getting told its not an option. WTF?

                              Comment


                              • New Member

                                Originally posted by co94 View Post
                                Hound 77, you still out there? Anyone else from the Jersey geo still waiting? Just came back from the Poconos. needed a weekend away from all this. Left Thursday, so you know the first thing I did was check Friday's messages. Everything completed, and still no call. I am assured by the MHC that I will be next round, but it has been so long already, thus the impatience. Completed everything in August and have been keeping in touch with them ever since. They havent lied to me. He was basically letting me know how much closer I was each step of the way. Now last week he told me the next time Newark calls people I will be in that round. Problem is that office hasnt called anyone in a while. Anyone else in Newark?

                                Hey everyone, long time reader new member. I figured I would finally post after lurking in the shadows for so long to wish everyone good luck in the process. I am currently in TSU as of August 08 for a geo pref of NJ. CO94, we have the same timeline but I went into TSU on the 21st so you and Hound77 will go before me but best of luck to you guys and everyone else.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 8328 users online. 261 members and 8067 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X