Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by IronHorse0311 View Post
    Merlin...Very good point. I think that at Alex Bay and some of those smaller ports you are absolutely correct. What do you think about the border b/w Montreal and NY? That port from what I here is slammed.
    Champlain is a fairly large port. There's probably a fair expectation of 'capping' out there...if that's what you want. There are no guarantees though...at any port.

    I was thinking more of the Ogdensburg, Massena, Trout River stretch.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by NAL06 View Post
      In other words, are you saying that at ports such as these, one should expect to cap out, where at a smaller port not so?

      It depends. There are no guarantees...anywhere.

      Smaller ports tend to have lesser amounts of OT available. Larger ports tend to have more.

      It's not really safe to expect OT at all. Plan on budgeting as if you'll see none and you'll never have a problem if and when your OT is reduced/eliminated.
      Last edited by merlin436; 01-03-2009, 01:14 PM.

      Comment


      • Any one know any thing about the Boston area?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Leen View Post

          I dont know how to quote another's post but MERLIN you said..."If you can live within a small town and don't mind a 40 mile drive to the nearest Old Navy, it's not all that bad."
          Are you serious??? 40 miles? Please tell me you were being sarcastic! lol. Would that be the same for other sources of entertainment i.e., bowling alleys, movie theaters, museums, parks?
          You need to grab a map.

          Yeah...depending on where you are, you could easily be 40 miles from much of anything, especially as it relates to specialty shopping. Expect to visit Walmart and Kmart a lot. Movies might be a fair drive also. Small bowling alleys are a bit more plentiful. Museums probably don't exist on the scale you're used to. You'll find a small one here and there though. As for parks...it's rural. Every place has a park. Most of NNY is a gigantic park...the Adirondacks.

          Since you're an urbanite...it's only a 50-65 mile drive to Montreal, PQ(population GMA about 3.5 million) and Ottawa, ON is roughly 60-80 miles from most places(population GMA 1.5 million). On the US side expect a 300-350 mile drive to NYC or Boston.

          On the other hand, You can probably go away for the weekend in most places in NNY with your front door unlocked or leave your keys in the car parked on Main street during a night of bowling and return to find nothing different. As a single parent you'll probably be forced out for less OT 'out in the sticks' as well. More time for you to be home with the kid.
          Last edited by merlin436; 01-03-2009, 01:15 PM.

          Comment


          • Quick Question...

            ...I know that TOs are sent out in score order. But once all pre-employment steps are completed and you get transferred to TSU, with others in your same geo preference, are you then selected for an offer in score order or are you selected by chronological order (ie. first in TSU gets the first offer)?
            CBPO
            Tested - 8/21/08
            TO - 9/23/08
            TSU - 12/23/08
            Geo Pref - Eastern TX

            Comment


            • Originally posted by bulldog777 View Post
              Quick Question...

              ...I know that TOs are sent out in score order. But once all pre-employment steps are completed and you get transferred to TSU, with others in your same geo preference, are you then selected for an offer in score order or are you selected by chronological order (ie. first in TSU gets the first offer)?
              Once you receive your TO your score is no longer used.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by audi0xpl0de View Post
                Once you receive your TO your score is no longer used.
                That is what I thought, Thanks.
                CBPO
                Tested - 8/21/08
                TO - 9/23/08
                TSU - 12/23/08
                Geo Pref - Eastern TX

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Joey530 View Post
                  Yo Bizzy, long time stalker, first time poster also hehe. I've been reading all this stuff constantly just looking for a little insight here and there. Couldn't help but notice you just got picked up for LA/LB recently. I tested in Aug 08 and the rest of your process timeline seems almost identical to mine so I was just curious what your test score was if you don't mind me asking since they select in ranking order of course....anyways, congrats on gettin there!
                  Not LA/LB but for SFO in the Bay Area. From what I was told, we are still 30-40 officers short here..

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Bizzy930 View Post
                    Not LA/LB but for SFO in the Bay Area. From what I was told, we are still 30-40 officers short here..
                    Man I would love to work/live out there (Bay Area). If we were given more time and expenses to relocate I probably would have applied there as a second geo preference. Oh well, maybe one day...

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by furrball409 View Post
                      Man I would love to work/live out there (Bay Area). If we were given more time and expenses to relocate I probably would have applied there as a second geo preference. Oh well, maybe one day...
                      Dude trust me. Last week in the training room, we were talking how there is no way to survive living in the bay area with a GS-7, let alone a GS-5. Good thing there are OT's like no other here. After signing up for health insurance, life, TSP etc, I might just need another job in the mean time to keep things afloat. But I'm excited to be here nevertheless...

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Bizzy930 View Post
                        Dude trust me. Last week in the training room, we were talking how there is no way to survive living in the bay area with a GS-7, let alone a GS-5. Good thing there are OT's like no other here. After signing up for health insurance, life, TSP etc, I might just need another job in the mean time to keep things afloat. But I'm excited to be here nevertheless...
                        I know, my girlfriend moved here from Vallejo last year. I've looked through some real estate magazines and I can't believe how much housing/cost of living is over there. You could buy a mansion here for the price of a 2,000sq ft home over there lol. It almost seems worth it though

                        Comment


                        • Any body here working in the Oakland Port or hopeing to get that location? I'm hopeing to get that location when the time comes. Just curious as to any insight on how things are there.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Bizzy930 View Post
                            Not LA/LB but for SFO in the Bay Area. From what I was told, we are still 30-40 officers short here..
                            Wow...how did you get the call with the BI still in process? Hmmmm....

                            I'm still waiting for my BI to clear through.

                            Good luck!!!
                            Patience is a virtue

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by SevenSixTwo View Post
                              Wow...how did you get the call with the BI still in process? Hmmmm....

                              I'm still waiting for my BI to clear through.

                              Good luck!!!
                              Interim clearance I presume.

                              Although that won't be happening anymore. In fact, a handful USBP applicants on Honorfirst all watched CASS to see their security check mark to go from 'completed' to 'pending' because they decided to pull interim clearances and begin to do the full fledged one.
                              "Officer, you are kinda hot."

                              "And you are kinda intoxicated."

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by sap123 View Post
                                Interim clearance I presume.

                                Although that won't be happening anymore. In fact, a handful USBP applicants on Honorfirst all watched CASS to see their security check mark to go from 'completed' to 'pending' because they decided to pull interim clearances and begin to do the full fledged one.
                                I got the "call" in the middle of my BI. So therefore, I count my blessings and hope it will be a smooth ride from this point on because anything can happen. On another note, I've decided to pack my own lunch because airport food prices are OUTRAGES!!!
                                Last edited by Bizzy930; 01-04-2009, 03:50 AM.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 10243 users online. 336 members and 9907 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X