Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In regards to a question from a couple pages ago about getting offered gs7 from the start I had to "show the ability to apply customs laws and regulations to the tasks I do in my job currently" I work for Fedex in their customs brokerage division so this was very easy. Hope the helps!
    - Zebulon -

Test: 04/08
    NOR: 05/08
    TO: 11/08
    VBT: 12/08 - Passed
    Medical: 12/08 -Passed
    Physical: 12/08 - Passed
    Drug test: 12/08 - Passed
    Qualifications : cleared for GS7 12/08
    Background: in progress
    Geo pref- Buffalo

Comment

• What qualifications did you guys have getting on at GS-7?
      (previous post beat me by a couple minutes, anyone else?)
      Last edited by blk98gt; 01-01-2009, 09:30 PM.
      You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

Comment

• my qualifications haven't cleared yet, but for me it was a bachelor's degree and a qualifying GPA. i think the GPA had to be either above 3.0 or above 3.2

Comment

• Originally posted by DLA View Post
          my qualifications haven't cleared yet, but for me it was a bachelor's degree and a qualifying GPA. i think the GPA had to be either above 3.0 or above 3.2
          Bachelor's degree with a 3.0 or higher will qualify you for a GS 7

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertEagle1 View Post
            Bachelor's degree with a 3.0 or higher will qualify you for a GS 7
            yeah i'm pretty sure you can. here i found qualifications for gs5 and gs7:

http://www.usajobs.org/jobs/77105292...%20OFFICER.htm

you will find this particular section if you scroll down:

Education: If applicants do not have the work experience described above, four (4) years of study in any field leading to a bachelor's degree in an accredited college or university can be substituted and is fully qualifying for the GS-5 level. For the GS-7 level, one (1) full academic year of graduate education, or a master's or higher degree is qualifying, or meeting the provisions of Superior Academic Achievement (SAA). See www.opm.gov/qualifications/SEC-II/s2-e5.asp#e4f for information on SAA.

after going to the website given, i found this:

S.A.A. is based on (1) class standing, (2) grade-point average, or (3) honor society membership.

1. Class standing -- Applicants must be in the upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision, such as the College of Liberal Arts or the School of Business Administration, based on completed courses.

2. Grade-point average (G.P.A.) -- Applicants must have a grade-point average of:

3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B" or better) as recorded on their official transcript, or as computed based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; or

3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B+" or better) based on the average of the required courses completed in the major field or the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum.

i checked and in my last 2 years i did have over a 3.0. hopefully this does qualify me for gs7, but of course i am still waiting on that to clear.

(edited):
            excuse this post deserteagle1, i thought u were asking if a bachelor's and 3.0 would qualify for gs7 i didnt know u were just stating it. this post can just be used for reference as far as qulifications.
            Last edited by DLA; 01-01-2009, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• What everyone needs to remember is that TWO criteria need to be met in order to get a GS-07 offer.

First, one needs to qualify...see above.

Second, and just as important, there needs to be funded GS-07 spots open. If there's 100 well qualified applicants vying for GS-07 offers and 25 funded GS-07 positions...75 people are either going to take GS-05 offers, or they'll be looking for employment some place else.
              Last edited by merlin436; 01-01-2009, 10:33 PM. Reason: spelling error correction...

Comment

• so does anyone know how they determine who gets a gs-7 spot? is it by test score or is that only for how candidates are chosen?

Comment

• Originally posted by DLA View Post
                  so does anyone know how they determine who gets a gs-7 spot? is it by test score or is that only for how candidates are chosen?
                  I believe that when funding for GS-7 spots is not sufficient for all applicants with at least nominal GS-7 qualification, they pull the highest-scoring most-qualified applicants for GS-7, and everyone else gets offered GS-5. For example, if you have 30 credits toward a masters and you had a 4.0 GPA, you're probably going to get GS-7 over someone who has a 3.0 GPA and the same results on the test. It might also hold true in the case that you had a 4.0, but not the additional graduate school credits, but that's purely speculation on my part. It seems logical, though, that additional qualifications above the minimum required will probably push you to the top of the GS-7 pile, assuming you have a testing score at least similar to the other candidates. I have no idea exactly how testing score vs. qualifications is weighted, or if it is just an arbitrary decision.

Comment

• Can anyone tell me what I need to do here. On the phone line, it says that my pre-employment paperwork is pending. When I dive deeper it says that they have received all of my paperwork, but their records show they need a copy of each of my DD214 from the Marine Corps. I sent in the paperwork with my forms. I look on the CASS website, it says the same thing, but also says that if I have already done so, then they may have not processed it yet. Has anyone run into this? Do you think it is possible that they have just not processed that portion of my paperwork? Does anyone have a number where I can speak with a live human being at MHC to figure out if they need them or not?

Merlin: Hey..I had my BI on Tuesday and all went well. Especially with that issue we discussed. My BI actually spoke with another investigator who said that they did not care about that issue. Thanks for the insight and heads on that. I appreciate it.

Comment

• They did the same thing to me I had to Fax them my DD214. I don't know if they lost it, but I sent one in anyway. Try emailing, I get a quicker response than when I call...

Comment

• ATLbound...What email address do I use?

Comment

• Originally posted by IronHorse0311 View Post
                          Can anyone tell me what I need to do here. On the phone line, it says that my pre-employment paperwork is pending. When I dive deeper it says that they have received all of my paperwork, but their records show they need a copy of each of my DD214 from the Marine Corps. I sent in the paperwork with my forms. I look on the CASS website, it says the same thing, but also says that if I have already done so, then they may have not processed it yet. Has anyone run into this? Do you think it is possible that they have just not processed that portion of my paperwork? Does anyone have a number where I can speak with a live human being at MHC to figure out if they need them or not?

Merlin: Hey..I had my BI on Tuesday and all went well. Especially with that issue we discussed. My BI actually spoke with another investigator who said that they did not care about that issue. Thanks for the insight and heads on that. I appreciate it.

Same thing here as well. I sent it to them but they called and said they didnt have it, so i had to fax them a copy.

Comment

• Barnaj...What number did you call? I sent it in to them today, but I just want to ensure that they received it them all.

Comment

• Hello all,
                              I have been reading several posts for a while now and finally decided to register. I recently received a TO and am in the process of filling out my paperwork. I, like many others who applied for "NY" did not realize it was for "NY Other" meaning locations Upstate. I live in North Jersey and would have to move up there if I choose to accept the position. I know Ironhorse0311 has asked a question about that area before, but I don't think I saw any responses. Does anyone live/work in that area? From what I gathered, I'm under the impression it is mostly rural out there. Does anyone know if this is true? The thought of moving myself and my 3 yr old hours away from family and friends would be a little more unsettling if my "next door" neighbors are miles down the road and I know no one.
                              Also, I know there is no clear cut answer to this, but has anyone gotten any additional information as to if there will be a new announcement for NYC/NJ locations anytime soon? I know alot of people have been waiting for this location, but I was just wondering if there would be any hope for little old me!
                              Does anyone know if it would be better to go through the whole hiring process now even if I don't take the final offer? Or should I just wait until an announcement for JFK or NJ opens up and wait if and when I get a TO? Sdodd, I believe it was you who said in a previous post that you declined an offer waiting for a position in NJ? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't find the post I saw that on, but someone declined an offer for upstate NY and now said they wished they didn't or something along those lines.

Anywho, thanks for all your insight. I'm so glad this forum exists!
                              CBPO Timeline
                              GEO: NY (All Other)
                              TEST: 8/15/08 (88)
                              TO: 12/24/08
                              FORMS: 1/9/09
                              FITNESS: 1/16/09
                              VBT: 1/21/09
                              DRUG: 2/4/09
                              QUALS: 2/4/09
                              MEDICAL: 4/09
                              BI: 5/1/09
                              TSU:5/1/09

EOD: 6/8/09
                              FLETC: 7/8/09
                              GRAD: 10/20/09

Comment

• Originally posted by IronHorse0311 View Post
                                Barnaj...What number did you call? I sent it in to them today, but I just want to ensure that they received it them all.
                                Im not sure that was a long time ago. They called me and i faxed it to them while on the phone with them.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5493 users online. 288 members and 5205 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X