300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• true dat

but if you want to apply to FBI, DEA, BP, ATF, ICE, FPS, Social Security OIG, VA OIC, HHS OIG, IRS OIG oh yeah and my beloved DSS, you still have to be 37 or under. Right now you can't go over from CBP after 37. Is what I have been explained. weird huh

for Enforcement Officers we apparantly are 12d but our SF-50s say 6C double weird.

Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
    Nobody gets true 6C coverage any more...not unless they were hired sometime in the early 80's.

'New Enhanced Retirement Provisions' only apply to people on the job before July, 08. Anybody hired after then has the same 12D coverage as any 'LEO'.

Comment

• Originally posted by OVERCBPII View Post
      true dat

but if you want to apply to FBI, DEA, BP, ATF, ICE, FPS, Social Security OIG, VA OIC, HHS OIG, IRS OIG oh yeah and my beloved DSS, you still have to be 37 or under. Right now you can't go over from CBP after 37. Is what I have been explained. weird huh

for Enforcement Officers we apparantly are 12d but our SF-50s say 6C double weird.
      Well...no agency has ever been forced into accepting any 'transfers' coming in at 37 or over. It's alway been a matter of agency choice. Anyone becoming a PA or an IEA after the age of 37 will have the same problems moving. It's an age issue, not a coverage one.

Really, we(CBPO's) have been what...5 and 1/2 months with 12D coverage. It's still real early in the game to say what any agency will do in regards to the new coverage down the road. Most of that game will be played out in future innings.

Comment

• PAs and IEAs can apply for LEO positions after 37. They are already LEOs

for example BP PA is 45 years old he/she wants to go DEA, he/she can because of the mandatory 57 retirement rule and has already been in a covered position whatever amount of years prior to 45 he/she was already in.

you are right though the Jury is still out if CBPOs can apply to LEO jobs after they are 37

Maybe they can if they were 37 at the time the Public Law went into effect July 7(8?), 2008. My understanding if you are over 37 and CBPO you can't go anywhere. Now are times you wish pesky google worked correctly/better

cuidate

Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
        Well...no agency has ever been forced into accepting any 'transfers' coming in at 37 or over. It's alway been a matter of agency choice. Anyone becoming a PA or an IEA after the age of 37 will have the same problems moving. It's an age issue, not a coverage one.

Really, we(CBPO's) have been what...5 and 1/2 months with 12D coverage. It's still real early in the game to say what any agency will do in regards to the new coverage down the road. Most of that game will be played out in future innings.

Comment

• Since the retirement coverage is the same (12(d)) and the only reason for the age limit is the retirement coverage, I would imagine any agency refusing to accept an officer from CBP who is over 37, but entered the covered position prior to their 37 b-day would have an interesting lawsuit on their hands.
          But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• As I've understood it:

If someone that was hired under an age waiver wants to go to another agency, in a 12d covered position, that agency must also accept the waiver.

Edit to add: I'm not sure how CBP would fit into that as you do not have age waivers for anyone over 37.
            Last edited by madchiken; 12-27-2008, 04:43 PM.

Comment

• This is a very good point. I am curious to see how this plays out with that. If someone was 37 on July 8,2008 (7?) and is now 38. Please let us know if anyone is applying for a LEO covered job and inform us what they tell you.

it would be a good lawsuit

Originally posted by kc12 View Post
              Since the retirement coverage is the same (12(d)) and the only reason for the age limit is the retirement coverage, I would imagine any agency refusing to accept an officer from CBP who is over 37, but entered the covered position prior to their 37 b-day would have an interesting lawsuit on their hands.
              Last edited by OVERCBPII; 12-27-2008, 06:44 PM. Reason: to clarify subject verb agreement

Comment

• Are you kidding? Leave this job. I couldn't be happier here. The work isn't hard. The pay isn't bad. And the O/T is great.
                Last edited by kc12; 12-27-2008, 06:14 PM.
                But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• LOL thats great to hear. Please prae-tell for all the other CBPOs on this forum, where do you work so we can all go there since the work isn't hard! holy smokes can I go work with you. I'd like to slack off, do nothing, surf the web all day, and make the same OT double time you make.

We have to get relief before we can go to the Bathroom, eat, etc. Otherwise if you take off to go to the Bathroom without telling someone no one believes you and they think you're getting out of doing work.

Supervisors are counting the minutes on your 30 minute break in an 8 hour period. If you are on overtime they don't want to give you a 30 minute lunch break unless you are there for at least 6 hours. So again I want to go where the work isn't hard and make the same as you.

sorry for the rant! I know your post was friendly but it set something off when it comes to our pay and uneven work load nationwide.

Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                  Are you kidding? Leave this job. I couldn't be happier here. The work isn't hard. The pay isn't bad. And the O/T is great.

Comment

• I'm not saying I don't work, just that the work isn't hard, when compared to most of the jobs I've done. The job I left for this one was easier, but the pay was far less. I do have to admit I wouldn't like working a land border and can see where the stress level would be much higher there. I work CET at a cargo seaport, though we do support a couple nearby passenger seaports when large cruise ships comes in.

I do believe with this job, just as my last one, everything depends on where you are assigned. Talking to some other people from different parts of the country shows very different sides of the job even when we are doing the same function. I guess that can be a good thing due to the different conditions around the country.

Comment

• No offense, but, simply for the opportunity to make 100K you can slap me silly and call me Suzie. I would shovel fecal matter all the live long day if they wanted me to with a smile on my face and song in my heart. In fact, I don't need a bathroom break. Give me some Depends and an air freshener and I'll be fine. Lunch break? Nourishment is so over rated.

Comment

• Merlin--- I am under the New York, All other. Like Alex Bay, Albany, Messena, etc... I am hoping they are going to be hiring. I am almost completed with the whole process. I am sure that the Messena location is the busiest up there; and probably a great place to live. Thanks for the insight.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronHorse0311 View Post
                          Merlin--- I am under the New York, All other. Like Alex Bay, Albany, Messena, etc... I am hoping they are going to be hiring. I am almost completed with the whole process. I am sure that the Messena location is the busiest up there; and probably a great place to live. Thanks for the insight.
                          It's Massena. It is at best a moderate sized port in the grand scheme of things. Both A-Bay and Champlain are considerably bigger.

Given a choice, assuming you want to work, I'd pick Champlain. It's the busiest of them all and only 20 miles or so out of Plattsburgh(population 20K or so), and 55 miles from Montreal, PQ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barbrady View Post
                            No offense, but, simply for the opportunity to make 100K you can slap me silly and call me Suzie. I would shovel fecal matter all the live long day if they wanted me to with a smile on my face and song in my heart. In fact, I don't need a bathroom break. Give me some Depends and an air freshener and I'll be fine. Lunch break? Nourishment is so over rated.
                            100K is really only a viable option in ports with a high locality pay and lots of overtime available. A more realistic outlook for most of the US would probably be in the 70-85K range.

Comment

• Thanks for the answers everyone but I have one more question.
                              What are my chances of starting as a GS-7?
                              I have about 2 years of private security screener, 2 years with TSA, and 4 years as a deputy sheriff/ correctional officer (current) behind my belt.
                              Oh and 80+ college credits but no degree.
                              You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

Comment

• Originally posted by OVERCBPII View Post
                                PAs and IEAs can apply for LEO positions after 37. They are already LEOs

for example BP PA is 45 years old he/she wants to go DEA, he/she can because of the mandatory 57 retirement rule and has already been in a covered position whatever amount of years prior to 45 he/she was already in.

you are right though the Jury is still out if CBPOs can apply to LEO jobs after they are 37

Maybe they can if they were 37 at the time the Public Law went into effect July 7(8?), 2008. My understanding if you are over 37 and CBPO you can't go anywhere. Now are times you wish pesky google worked correctly/better

cuidate
                                My point was (as Mad pointed out) that you can become a PA or an IEA past the age of 37. Yes...for the purposes of pay and retirement benefits you'll be considered a "LEO" but there is no obligation for any other agency to accept you as a new hire.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11039 users online. 440 members and 10599 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X