300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WSB_Hunter
    I know cbpo mile and a half run is under 15 minutes. What's the time for the mile and a half for ice sa?
    According to the people on the delphi forums it was still 16:30 for cbpo's as of December 4th.

Comment

• Hey everyone. This thread is over 100 pages and I can't find this info.
      Little confused about the pay. If I start at GS-7 then after a year I will get GS-9 and after two years I will get GS-11 pay? And what do the steps mean on this chart?
      http://www.opm.gov/oca/08tables/html/chi.asp

So after 2 years you get GS-11 and step 3 pay at $63,000?
      Last edited by blk98gt; 12-27-2008, 01:29 AM.
      You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

Comment

• Originally posted by blk98gt View Post
        Hey everyone. This thread is over 100 pages and I can't find this info.
        The GS-7 pay for Chicago with cola is around $40,000 per year according to this site:
        My understanding is that after a year I would go to the GS-9 pay and after two years GS-11 pay given that I start at GS-7. Is that correct?
        And would I be at step 3 GS-11 after 2 years which would put me at around $63,000 per year?
        Those are the 08 pay tables. See here: http://www.opm.gov/flsa/oca/09tables/html/chi.asp

You are correct though, for the most part. It's actually locality pay in the continental US, not a COLA.
        In 2 years when you reach 11 you'll start as an 11/01, but by then 11/1 pay will likely be greater than 63K, after the likely 2010 and 2011 across-the-board pay increases.

Comment

• edit because of that darn merlin

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
            It depends.

Short answer; probably easier than most places. Especially if you're willing to settle into eastern MT. MT is one of the places that tends to be chronically short on applicants...surprising isn't it?

At least you know what you're likely getting yourself into, unlike the poor saps from So. Cal. and Atlanta, etc.
            I suppose North Dakota falls in a similar boat.

Comment

• Montana

Originally posted by malfurr View Post
              ... was wondering if anyone could give me insight as to how difficult or easy for that matter it is to get on at a port in Montana. I took my test the 10th and got my NOR today. It wasn't near as high as I was hoping for.

It shouldn't be too much of a hurdle. Like others have posted, MT is always looking for applicants. I was offered three different POE's in MT when I got the call (actually, when I called TSU, they never called me... long story).

Roosville seems to be the only port that doesn't have a high need. I politely asked about it, but was politely told "no". I picked the next best port. From what I've heard, most of the local PDs/Supervisors will give you info, but I don't believe they have much control over who goes where (I may be wrong here, but my Supervisor was surprised twice with new people added to the list for our port).
              "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize... HALF OF THEM ARE STUPIDER THAN THAT!"

- The Late George Carlin

Comment

• Pay

You basically will climb a step a year 1-4. After 4 its every two years. Right now I'm a GS-11 Step 4 already a year and I have a year left before I can make Step 5.

you go: Year One GS-5 Step 1, Year Two GS-7 Step 1, Year Three GS-11 Step 1, then Year Four GS-11 Step 2, Year Five GS-11 Step 3, etc etc.

Remember after Step 4 it's every 2 years all the way to Step 10. So its takes 12 years to get to Step 10 after Step 4.

UNLESS you come in as a GS-7 then just subtract a year from the above mentioned timeline

Clear as mud??? LOL

I am already at 102K with all my Holidays, Sunday, a little Night Diff (I'm mostly on day shift), and COPRA Double Time!!. Oh yeah and how can I forget my FLAP Language Pay 5% of my salary every year.

This is within 6 years on the job. My base now with the new 2009 COLA increase will be 67+K and San Diego locality pay.

I typically only take two or three holidays off a year. T-Day, Christmas, maybe New Years.

If you don't mind midnight shift, all holidays, all Sundays, and as much OT as you can suck up you can make a lot of money. Remember though Holidays and Sundays count towards your total OT cap. So its not 35K OT + Sundays and Holidays. Its 35K all premium pay allowed.

Originally posted by blk98gt View Post
                Hey everyone. This thread is over 100 pages and I can't find this info.
                Little confused about the pay. If I start at GS-7 then after a year I will get GS-9 and after two years I will get GS-11 pay? And what do the steps mean on this chart?

So after 2 years you get GS-11 and step 3 pay at $63,000?
                Last edited by OVERCBPII; 12-27-2008, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• Merlin/any other current CBPO's, what are the locations one is considered for under a TO for Buffalo? Or is there a place I can go that lists this info??

Comment

• Buffalo
                    Field Operations Office Information
                    Location Address : 4455 Genesee Street
                    Buffalo , NY 14225
                    Mailing Address : Same As Above
                    General Phone : (716) 626-0400
                    Operational Hours : 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM ( Eastern )
                    Weekdays (Monday-Friday)

Ports Of Entry
                    Name : Albany

Name : Alexandria Bay

Name : Binghamton

Name : Buffalo

Name : Champlain

Name : Massena

Name : Ogdensburg

Name : Rochester

Name : Syracuse

Name : Trout River

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/c...mc_e_great.xml

Comment

• Just in case anybody is looking for Laredo, Seattle, etc.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/cmcs/

Comment

• Let me clarify some points that I think will help. I may have failed to properly explain my intentions correctly before.

I have been both benefited and held back by political favoritism so by no means am I decrying the existence of it.

There are lots of special teams in CBP ATCET, PET, HQ - RRB, NTC-P, NTC-C, International Programs like CSI, Pre-Clearance, and INA jobs. There is a ton of satisfaction out there.

the point I should have made was that in the Patrol everyone is 6c covered and you can move on to other agencies as 6c. You can be a 12 13 manager and move on to ICE DRO OI ATF DEA etc after 37 with no problems. The Patrol also has the same HQ NTC opportunities as us while their Special Operations capacity is enormous compared to ours. This is why I was pumping up SAP 123.

In the Patrol it definately feels like its really PERFORMANCE plus REPUTATION, while at CBP it feels like its really REPUTATION only from the floor of the POE all the way to HQ. I have never been in the Border Patrol, but know lots of guys that started at the bottom and advanced upwards at the same time I did within the POE. I laison quite frequenty with them and they have shared these views with me as well.

When you spend as many years in the agency as I have (and its not that much!) and spend some time at DC HQ and know a lot of people at DC HQ as I have you will see what I am talking about.

What I should have clarified is that CBP has incredible international positions and non LEO positions, very high paying positions a lowly GS-5 in passenger processing operations can one day aspire to.

However from a LEO perspective, CBP OFO is still crawling and will be for a long time before there is any real unified approach to law enforcement and creating a true law enforcement culture as opposed to the Patrol

New Guys from 06 07 and 08 have arrived and left within the same year or before they made 11 because they want to get covered before 37 or because they can't take the overtime. New Enhanced Retirement Provisions is not true 6c coverage.

I hope to see you downstairs..unless we have already met for quite some time????? the mystery continues LOL.

again these are personal views and by no means are they endorsed by the agency nor do I speak on behalf of the agency

take care brother and fellow warrior!

Originally posted by cross.sandiego View Post
                        You make it sound like CBPE is the only team available within CBP that offers one any sort of job satisfaction. Don't try to kid anyone here, there are also interesting jobs, special teams and TDYs within CBP that are available to motivated officers who are sharp enough and willing to fully apply themselves.

Yes there are political considerations and even favoritism to a degree. But you must know (if you've ever had a corporate job or worked for another large governmental agency) that's the way the game is played each and every time. And yes, that includes the Border Patrol. You nut-up and learn to deal if you want to advance - or you stagnate in the same lot until you're fed up enough to quit and transfer out of the outfit (like going over to CBPE).

Comment

• Originally posted by WSB_Hunter
                          What happens if you already top off your 35k a year and the year is not over? Do they then just schedule you 40 hours a week and thats it? What if they have some circumstance and need you to work a few more hours, will you get paid for the ot you were asked to work even though you already have 35k in ot?
                          Big problems happen if you work over 35K without a waiver in hand. Expect to work 40 hour weeks if and when you reach $34,500.

Lots of(probably most) ports won't be offering anywhere near 35K in OT/premiums anyways.

Comment

• 35K is the cap, but it can be waived by the agency. Typically if you are a OT W.... you will not work holidays and sundays or any evening shift if you are capped out and do not have a waiver. Its a very complex thing involving the POE mgmt and HQ etc. So you won't have to worry about getting waivers etc. Its decided for you.

In the govnt you get paid for any OT you do whether (sp??) its a fair OT compensation system or not that is up to debate. There are many diff OT compensations in the fed govnt: 45 Act, 31 Act, LEAP, AUO, COPRA, etc

typically you will be restricted for any OT and will be prorated at a certain point high teens to twenties. Your local POE already knows how many holidays, night diff and Sunday you are going to work to the end of the fiscal year so they will "allow" you basically to work OT through the year and stay under cap. There should never be a situation where you will be working OT past
                            35K.. if that happens a 12, 13, and 14's provberbial ### is in the proverbial sling.

Originally posted by WSB_Hunter
                            What happens if you already top off your 35k a year and the year is not over? Do they then just schedule you 40 hours a week and thats it? What if they have some circumstance and need you to work a few more hours, will you get paid for the ot you were asked to work even though you already have 35k in ot?
                            Last edited by OVERCBPII; 12-27-2008, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by OVERCBPII View Post
                              New Enhanced Retirement Provisions is not true 6c coverage.
                              Nobody gets true 6C coverage any more...not unless they were hired sometime in the early 80's.

'New Enhanced Retirement Provisions' only apply to people on the job before July, 08. Anybody hired after then has the same 12D coverage as any 'LEO'.

Comment

• eehhhh well I would say all SoCal Land Ports you can cap out if you want to RIGHT NOW FY 07 08 09. Most Souther Border Ports with 13 lanes or so or more you can cap out if you want to. Large Airports I'm sure are capping out too LAX, SFO, ATL, MIA, JFK, Newark, O'Hare, etc. Some of it is getting drafted anyways and some of it is high earners getting jobs no one wants to volunteer for...0400-0800 lanes??? NO THANKS LOL

[QUOTE=merlin436;1560724]Big problems happen if you work over 35K without a waiver in hand. Expect to work 40 hour weeks if and when you reach $34,500.

Lots of(probably most) ports won't be offering anywhere near 35K in OT/premiums anyways.[/QUOT

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8531 users online. 259 members and 8272 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X