300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
    I'll take a stab at this and guess that your chances of 'transferring' will be pretty severely limited in the first few years and difficult thereafter.

CBP isn't real employee friendly with regards to movement. They do see to be getting a bit better in the last year or so. Maybe it's a sign of better things to come...

As far as Brunswick goes...for a small city it does have it's share of 'sluminess'. There are some rundown sections of town. While I doubt it would be stolen or vandalized off-base, who knows? Personally, I'd be more worried about on-base happenings. Car doors, softballs, footballs, drunks on bicycles, that sort of stuff.

I'd show up with the clunker. You won't be spending all that much time behind the wheel while in training. Unless you're drive crazy Savannah and Jacksonville will be as far as you'll likely go.
    Thanks merlin. I'm just torn between the airport and bridge, and I have to let them know by this afternoon. While the airport does have the advantage of being near my house, it doesn't have quite the excitement of the bridge from what I'm told.

Comment

• merlin:

"drunks on bicycles".

You just started off my Christmas with a good laugh. Thats a vision that was etched into my mind at FLETC and i'll never forget. Guys 6 feet tall riding girls bikes with a horn and banana seat after a 12-pack. And even though i didnt have a bike there, i was guilty of many drunken ghost rides of others bikes and we hung a few in the palm trees between 185 and 186!

Comment

• so really, does anyone have a clue what is going on with San Diego? We've seen no one EOD recently. Sap123 posted a while back that TSU said there were no openings, cross says they are undermanned, which is expected at a port like SD. Is it funding? Is TSU just not getting around to SD?

/rant

Either way. I'm bringing this up with the supervisor at the port. A family member that works in the FO hooked it up with a tour of the port with one of the supervisors after the holidays. I know he may not know anything but it's worth a shot...

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
          I'd make more money under GL pay with AUO. Can you honestly say that most ports in VT wouldn't?
          With the exception of maybe one port in Vermont, You can cap out every year if that is what you want to do. Officers will get forced OT in the winter for ski traffic and will get forced OT multiple times in a week during the summer. I don't think that we are as slow as North Dakota.

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by HellaHandsome View Post
            so really, does anyone have a clue what is going on with San Diego? We've seen no one EOD recently. Sap123 posted a while back that TSU said there were no openings, cross says they are undermanned, which is expected at a port like SD. Is it funding? Is TSU just not getting around to SD?

/rant

Either way. I'm bringing this up with the supervisor at the port. A family member that works in the FO hooked it up with a tour of the port with one of the supervisors after the holidays. I know he may not know anything but it's worth a shot...

It appears to me that the whole hiring thing goes through a cycle. When I EOD Skid Row was sending a group to FLETC every week. They had been doing it for a couple months and continued for a couple months after I came back to the port. It was a big hiring push, 18 San Ysidro candidates in my class alone. There were so many new bodies that there was a lot of grumbling around the port that overtime was going to be sucked into a rookie black hole. In other words, there wouldn't enough OT to go around for the higher earners. Didn't happen. Some of the draft pressure subsided temporarily but it's back on again. The port was never fully staffed (to the managerial staffing target) I doubt it ever will be especially after the port expansion taking it to 40 lanes.

That last push was in early 2007. Seems there a lot of officers who started in or about 2004-2005 so the ROW is due. Looks like they're taking care of other needs around the country first.

I've heard numbers regarding optimum staffing levels which I'm not going to divulge on a public forum. Perhaps your supervisor connection will be candid with his responses to the many questions I'm sure you'll pepper him with. Regardless of the wants and desires of port management, they appear to be at the mercy of the nationwide, Agency-wide, hiring cycle.

So I guess what I'm trying to say to San Diego applicants is hang in there. Hiring will pick up again.
            ========================================

sigpic

I feel the need - the need for speed.

Maverick and Goose, TOPGUN

Comment

• Originally posted by cross.sandiego View Post
              It appears to me that the whole hiring thing goes through a cycle. When I EOD Skid Row was sending a group to FLETC every week. They had been doing it for a couple months and continued for a couple months after I came back to the port. It was a big hiring push, 18 San Ysidro candidates in my class alone. There were so many new bodies that there was a lot of grumbling around the port that overtime was going to be sucked into a rookie black hole. In other words, there wouldn't enough OT to go around for the higher earners. Didn't happen. Some of the draft pressure subsided temporarily but it's back on again. The port was never fully staffed (to the managerial staffing target) I doubt it ever will be especially after the port expansion taking it to 40 lanes.

That last push was in early 2007. Seems there a lot of officers who started in or about 2004-2005 so the ROW is due. Looks like they're taking care of other needs around the country first.

I've heard numbers regarding optimum staffing levels which I'm not going to divulge on a public forum. Perhaps your supervisor connection will be candid with his responses to the many questions I'm sure you'll pepper him with. Regardless of the wants and desires of port management, they appear to be at the mercy of the nationwide, Agency-wide, hiring cycle.

So I guess what I'm trying to say to San Diego applicants is hang in there. Hiring will pick up again.
              I would not be surprised to see hiring come to a screaming halt after Jan. 20th.

FB

Comment

• thanks for the insight Cross! Didn't know the expanded the lanes down there...

Comment

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                  Last edited by OVERCBPII; 12-27-2008, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• hey everyone its been a while since i've posted here. Anyway im past the half way mark at fletc. Its not as bad as people make it seem in this forum. The worse thing i can see happening is if you get a room mate. Right now only the first floor of the taj is doubling up. There have been like 10 classes start after me and some get doubled up and some dont, it all depends if you are lucky enough to start on a day when there is a class graduating that morning because they leave and you take their room. Besides that everything isnt too bad. Hope this helps answer any questions....

Comment

• What is the average time waiting on TSU for Miami...any one?

Comment

• Originally posted by cargo82 View Post
                        hey everyone its been a while since i've posted here. Anyway im past the half way mark at fletc. Its not as bad as people make it seem in this forum. The worse thing i can see happening is if you get a room mate. Right now only the first floor of the taj is doubling up. There have been like 10 classes start after me and some get doubled up and some dont, it all depends if you are lucky enough to start on a day when there is a class graduating that morning because they leave and you take their room. Besides that everything isnt too bad. Hope this helps answer any questions....

Does the fish still taste like chicken?

eyesjuswonderin...

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by HellaHandsome View Post
                          Didn't know the expanded the lanes down there...

They haven't yet. But it looks like some prep work for construction is finally starting to happen. These things take years to just get underway. I believe they've been working this through for the last 10 yrs at least - but it looks like they're ready to start now.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by cross.sandiego View Post
                            They haven't yet. But it looks like some prep work for construction is finally starting to happen. These things take years to just get underway. I believe they've been working this through for the last 10 yrs at least - but it looks like they're ready to start now.
                            Wow, so expanded lanes and (what sounds like to me, I'm not really sure) a new port to pop up around Otay Mesa around 2011-2012? That's a big signal for a lot of movement going through there.
                            "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Holiday Greeting to All. Just a quick update, to the waiting list.

CBPO-Salt Lake City
                              Tested: 7/07
                              TO: 7/08
                              Drug Test: Passed
                              VBT: Passed
                              Fitness: Passed
                              Quals: GS-5
                              Medical: Completed
                              BI: Met with Investigator
                              Sent to Scheduling Unit October 22, 2008

I am no on day 63 of 30-60 days for the call from TSU. I hope that the hiring does not come to a screeching halt on Jan 20th (Firebug). I hope to end this year with good news and a new job.

Congratulations to all that have received the call. Hope to see you there soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
                                With the exception of maybe one port in Vermont, You can cap out every year if that is what you want to do. Officers will get forced OT in the winter for ski traffic and will get forced OT multiple times in a week during the summer. I don't think that we are as slow as North Dakota.

FB

Well...I'll be.

I figured D.L. and Highgate had reasonable expectations of capping out. I never thought that the smaller 24/7 ports and the less than 24 hour ports would have a shot.

It's not a reasonable expectation most anywhere I've been.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4164 users online. 198 members and 3966 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X