300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blaine

Both POEs in Blaine are beautiful. Work is steady and lots of dope to catch BC BUD etc The area is gorgeous

Originally posted by winnerwinner View Post
    Don't mean to hold back info! My Geo Pref is Wa-all other locations. Picked it blindly-never been to Wa, live in Colorado. After looking around online I like the Blaine area. Seems like a good compromise for my wife and I (she likes big cities, I like small towns).

I was just not sure what it would take to switch at this point. I'm through the process, just waiting for BI to clear.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSB_Hunter
      Are these the only forms I need completed and to bring the first day of pre-academy?

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/n...s_complete.xml
      Pretty much, but you may want to fill out 2 extra forms also
      http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/n..._first_day.xml
      CBPO-LB/LA,CA
      Written: 08/08
      TO: 09/24/08
      FLETC CLASS 923

Comment

• True True

You make some very eloquent points with great insight for a new guy

However, PAs (males) are treated like men, while CBPOs tend to get treated like little kids.

Hows that drafting treating you? by the time you get to 11..One double will equal two doubles for a 5. Keep your head up

Originally posted by cross.sandiego View Post
        You make it sound like CBPE is the only team available within CBP that offers one any sort of job satisfaction. Don't try to kid anyone here, there are also interesting jobs, special teams and TDYs within CBP that are available to motivated officers who are sharp enough and willing to fully apply themselves.

Yes there are political considerations and even favoritism to a degree. But you must know (if you've ever had a corporate job or worked for another large governmental agency) that's the way the game is played each and every time. And yes, that includes the Border Patrol. You nut-up and learn to deal if you want to advance - or you stagnate in the same lot until you're fed up enough to quit and transfer out of the outfit (like going over to CBPE).

Comment

• Breaking Leather

FB

well thought out and articulate response. I had to draw my weapon yesterday on someone. I'm sorry to hear about your arm. I was clipped by a rear view mirror of an oversized junk yard truck at my booth and it jacked me up too.

Originally posted by Firebug View Post
          You are very misinformed. CBPO’s most certainly do have statutory power of arrest. It is included in both Title 8 and Title 19. I have worked in the airport, seaport, and land border port environments wore a vest everyday and continue to wear one every day. Every CBPO is issued a vest regardless of where they work. I was involved in many physical altercations in the airport including one in which my arm was broken. It is a mistake to think that you cannot get injured or killed doing this job. Is it likely? No, but you are given the training for a reason.

FB
          Last edited by OVERCBPII; 12-24-2008, 02:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by OVERCBPII View Post
            Yeah tell me about it. I just broke 101K and I havent even got the last paycheck of the year! OY VEY and I have 10K or so in OT already If you guys want to make money come to The ROW!
            That sounds nice, but only if they were actually funding for San Diego. I hope it's not much longer considering they supposedly need people. My friend applied during the last announcement for San Diego with a score of 95 and he didn't even get his TO yet. The last post I've seen about anybody EODing to ROW was in March!!! Since then, I think there have been 3 announcements in a row for that location.

I have been in TSU since 10/16/08
            Last edited by DesertEagle1; 12-24-2008, 02:20 AM.

Comment

• Cbp0(e)

Hello

the Officers your friend is referring to are Enforcement Officers. We are charged with conducting criminal investigations at the POE, arresting suspects, and subsquently filing criminal complaints against them with the AUSA and thereby booking them into BOP/USMS custody. This is a 6(c) covered position with the agency, seperate from the current status of general CBPOs which is the new enhanced law enforcement retirement provisions. It is a lateral position which requires persons to be GS 11s and under 37 by July 7. 2008.

If you have any more questions..PM me

Your coworkers make fun of you??? Tell those desk jockeys that you are aspiring to stand a post and defend your country and ask them what contribution are they making towards that goal

Regards

Originally posted by ifoCBP View Post
              Maybe. What's the difference between border agent and CBPO? Why is one a LEO and the other is not? How come my friend who is a CBPO says that any time something serious goes down they call a CBPO who is a LEO? I am not sure what that position is called, maybe you do. Also, my friend, says he never wears his vest and he does not know anyone who does. My buddy also says that CBP trys to keep a low profile at his airport and let the local police run the show. Why an I getting mixed messages? Are there different rules for different ports? Is CBP ever going to be LEO? What's the difference in arrest power? I currently work for DHS and many people in my office didn't even know CBPO's have guns. Infact, they joke about how CBP and TSA should merge. They actually make fun of me for applying, but I really want the job.
              Last edited by OVERCBPII; 12-24-2008, 02:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by OVERCBPII View Post
                You make some very eloquent points with great insight for a new guy

However, PAs (males) are treated like men, while CBPOs tend to get treated like little kids.

Hows that drafting treating you? by the time you get to 11..One double will equal two doubles for a 5. Keep your head up
                Thanks. I'm relatively new to CBP, but I've been around and this ain't my first rodeo. I'll be off probation in a couple months and my main goal is to get an assignment that gets me off the push. It may take some time but as I've said in previous posts- I have no intention of doing the "Que trae? Good-bye." for 20 years.

You're right about Agents getting more respect which is why SRT (not agents but hard chargers) and AEO is looking pretty good to me. From what I've seen at the port, many of the officers(mostly disgruntled legacy guys) spend too much time sitting around bitching about one thing or another which leads management to treat us all like whiney little babies.
                ========================================

sigpic

I feel the need - the need for speed.

Maverick and Goose, TOPGUN

Comment

• Game Tight

Brother

Keep your game tight and you'll get SRT for sure. HOOOAH. This new bidding rotation system might jack a lot of new motivated folks and reward the disgruntled legacy types (I am a Legacy type just not disgruntled) we will have to see with the new Commish and Administration

strenght and honor

Originally posted by cross.sandiego View Post
                  Thanks. I'm relatively new to CBP, but I've been around and this ain't my first rodeo. I'll be off probation in a couple months and my main goal is to get an assignment that gets me off the push. It may take some time but as I've said in previous posts- I have no intention of doing the "Que trae? Good-bye." for 20 years.

You're right about Agents getting more respect which is why SRT (not agents but hard chargers) and AEO is looking pretty good to me. From what I've seen at the port, many of the officers(mostly disgruntled legacy guys) spend too much time sitting around bitching about one thing or another which leads management to treat us all like whiney little babies.

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertEagle1 View Post
                    That sounds nice, but only if they were actually funding for San Diego. I hope it's not much longer considering they supposedly need people. My friend applied during the last announcement for San Diego with a score of 95 and he didn't even get his TO yet. The last post I've seen about anybody EODing to ROW was in March!!! Since then, I think there have been 3 announcements in a row for that location.

I have been in TSU since 10/16/08
                    I think you're missing the issue of attrition though. You KNOW that there has to be employee movement at these ports that consistently lead the country in business. I think it was either here (or maybe the delphi forums? I don't remember) where the budget called for a number o new officers, and CBP ended up going way over that target because of attrition. I don't think it's ENTIRELY a matter of funding. I'd say it's more of a matter of timing than anything.

But hey, semantics and all that, right?
                    "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Double post.
                      Last edited by sap123; 12-24-2008, 04:08 AM.

Comment

• TRIPLE post.
                        Last edited by sap123; 12-24-2008, 04:09 AM.

Comment

• MULTIPOST!

while I'm wasting space, have a laugh at a random youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sZuN0xXWLc

NOT SAFE FOR WORK FOR CRUDE LANGUAGE WHY WOULD YOU BROWSE YOUTUBE AT WORK ANYWAYS STOP IT GO BACK TO WORK
                          Last edited by sap123; 12-24-2008, 04:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertEagle1 View Post
                            Don't forget BPA makes FLSA too. That can be $400+ per paycheck on top of the AUO and base of a GL 7, GL 9 and of course GS 11. AUO is not bad, especially in conjunction with *FLSA*.

COPRA isn't bad either, if you like working a lot of OT and it is offered. With BPA your pretty sure what you will be making. It's usually a lot more consistent.

Who is to say which is the better system. Different people will say different things; some factors include but not limited to: how much they are willing to work, or which station they are at.

It is important for all of us to remember BPA and CBPO are two totally different careers within federal law enforcement, and so is the pay system equally different.
                            All true, at least in regards to today. Who knows what next week might bring though.

Let's not forget, it wasn't all that long ago that Customs Inspectors and Immigration Inspectors were not only different careers within federal law enforcement, but under different bureaus and different departments. Today, both USCS and INS are defunct agencies; Homeland Security is in...Treasury and Justice are out.

Comment

• Originally posted by winnerwinner View Post
                              Don't mean to hold back info! My Geo Pref is Wa-all other locations. Picked it blindly-never been to Wa, live in Colorado. After looking around online I like the Blaine area. Seems like a good compromise for my wife and I (she likes big cities, I like small towns).

I was just not sure what it would take to switch at this point. I'm through the process, just waiting for BI to clear.
                              CO is a fairly small state in regards to CBP presence; Denver isn't all that big as far as ports go. That might make a big difference to you, especially if you're looking to get hired fairly quick.

Blaine is a fairly large and busy port. You should see it easier to get picked up there, depending on your test score.

Comment

• Originally posted by furrball409 View Post
                                Well I just got the call about an hour ago!! I start January 20 and FLETC February 19.

I have another question about FLETC. How are the areas surrounding the campus? I wanna take my "nice" car but would hate for it to get stolen and/or vandalized. Should it be ok parked outside of say Walmart and the like, or would it be wise to just take my daily driver?

Also, given the choice between a fairly slow airport (DTW) or fairly busy land border (Detroit) which would be a better pick? Do they allow transfers from one to another?

Thanks to everyone for all your help now and throughout my process!
                                I'll take a stab at this and guess that your chances of 'transferring' will be pretty severely limited in the first few years and difficult thereafter.

CBP isn't real employee friendly with regards to movement. They do see to be getting a bit better in the last year or so. Maybe it's a sign of better things to come...

As far as Brunswick goes...for a small city it does have it's share of 'sluminess'. There are some rundown sections of town. While I doubt it would be stolen or vandalized off-base, who knows? Personally, I'd be more worried about on-base happenings. Car doors, softballs, footballs, drunks on bicycles, that sort of stuff.

I'd show up with the clunker. You won't be spending all that much time behind the wheel while in training. Unless you're drive crazy Savannah and Jacksonville will be as far as you'll likely go.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14326 users online. 457 members and 13869 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X