300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cross.sandiego View Post
    That wouldn't be the case in ports where they are busy 24/7/365. There's enough OT for GS-7s and even GS-5s (with a little more effort and the night/Sunday differentials) to clear between $60k-$70k. A GS-11 averages close to the 6 figure plus mark - over it if he has a couple of steps. It's blood-money but it works out better than AUO.

That's just an average look. There are money whores who are already have $15k in OT money since the start of the new fiscal yr.
    Out of curiosity, which port do you work at in San Diego? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to publicize it...
    "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
      There are 327 ports though, most ports don't have much opportunity to make 15K in a year...much less cap out.

Agreed.

A consideration at a big busy port is the burn-out factor. People are capping out (even after CBP raised the cap $10k) if they never wanted to do that much in OT. You can volunteer but it's never enough for Uncle Sugar. Even high earners get mandated.

A good strategy is work a large port and, at some point, string together 3 great years for the "high three" retirement calculation. Best to do that somewhere in the middle of the career as I've seen officers close to retirement have their OT restricted to prevent them from making a huge year.

After busting hump like that it'd be nice to move to a quiet port for the last few years to finally enjoy some time with the family.
      ========================================

sigpic

I feel the need - the need for speed.

Maverick and Goose, TOPGUN

Comment

• Originally posted by IronHorse0311 View Post
        Okay...I am in the process with another individual and I am tired of hearing this question from him, will any kind of steroid usage hurt an applicant in the process if it were 8 years ago?
        And yet another case of how much you can bench contributing to the betterment of one's life...

Slightly joking, im sure they will put steroids along the same line as marijuana, since obviously it's illegal.

Comment

• Originally posted by PMQF1897 View Post
          Hey everyone, long time stalker.. first time poster here. I wanted to thank everyone for their sage words. After a few months of anxious waiting, I got the call this morning for the Los Angeles/ Long Beach area. They told me they had two spots for LAX and a few for LB Seaport. So I chose LB Seaport, since its right down the street for me.

This has definitely been the best Christmas present ever. Hope to see some of you at the LB Port and around FLETC.

I know its easier said than done, but hang in there everyone.
          Dude congrats, you flew through the process it seems...

Comment

Don't turn down the TO. Hold onto it until there's a firm offer with the BI completed. Then turn down the offer, if necessary.

Everything will be completed and you'll just sit in limbo for a few moths while you work your way into a TO at the new location...or not. There's no guarantee that the new location will offer you a TO, after all.
            Don't mean to hold back info! My Geo Pref is Wa-all other locations. Picked it blindly-never been to Wa, live in Colorado. After looking around online I like the Blaine area. Seems like a good compromise for my wife and I (she likes big cities, I like small towns).

I was just not sure what it would take to switch at this point. I'm through the process, just waiting for BI to clear.

Comment

• Originally posted by winnerwinner View Post
              Don't mean to hold back info! My Geo Pref is Wa-all other locations. Picked it blindly-never been to Wa, live in Colorado. After looking around online I like the Blaine area. Seems like a good compromise for my wife and I (she likes big cities, I like small towns).

I was just not sure what it would take to switch at this point. I'm through the process, just waiting for BI to clear.
              Simply wait for another open period (announcement) and if it has a PORT you want apply for it, once you get a TO for that new port everything carries over and your previous TO is withdrawn automatically. This will happen as long as you don't get the call before you get your new TO, if you do get the call before that then it would be up to you...
              CBPO
              Written: 08/29/2007
              EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Well I just got the call about an hour ago!! I start January 20 and FLETC February 19.

I have another question about FLETC. How are the areas surrounding the campus? I wanna take my "nice" car but would hate for it to get stolen and/or vandalized. Should it be ok parked outside of say Walmart and the like, or would it be wise to just take my daily driver?

Also, given the choice between a fairly slow airport (DTW) or fairly busy land border (Detroit) which would be a better pick? Do they allow transfers from one to another?

Thanks to everyone for all your help now and throughout my process!
                Last edited by furrball409; 12-23-2008, 06:07 PM.

Comment

• When going to fletc I understand you are flown down for free, if I were to desire to drive would I be given some $ (the $ that would have been spent on a plane ticket) or would it be my choice so no $?
                  - Zebulon -

Test: 04/08
                  NOR: 05/08
                  TO: 11/08
                  VBT: 12/08 - Passed
                  Medical: 12/08 -Passed
                  Physical: 12/08 - Passed
                  Drug test: 12/08 - Passed
                  Qualifications : cleared for GS7 12/08
                  Background: in progress
                  Geo pref- Buffalo

Comment

• Originally posted by Zebulon View Post
                    When going to fletc I understand you are flown down for free, if I were to desire to drive would I be given some $ (the $ that would have been spent on a plane ticket) or would it be my choice so no $?
                    I got class #922 at FLETC starting JAN 08 I'll be working at MIA and I decided to drive, so I just got $250 deposited on my bank account. From my understanding on the way back I'll be getting more than that, but I don't know how much yet.
                    Last edited by miramarnelson; 12-23-2008, 07:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Originally posted by WSB_Hunter
                      At fletc, for academics, is it all tests? or do you have to type up essays and stuff like that?
                      Just exams. No homework, book reports, essays, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSB_Hunter
                        Ok so they give you all the materials in class and then you study for the tests? The tests are multiple choice? Are the exams mostly memorization of laws or is it more on applying a concept?
                        I think you need to relax a little bit. The past two pages you have asked pretty relative questions, but things like these are just kinda taking it to a level that's unnecessary. You'll find about all the academics you need to go through when you get there. Just concentrate and focus on doing well, get your stuff in order before you leave, and you'll be gravy.
                        "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

I realize that. An officer in the 'right' port who sees all the OT he wants would take a royal beating if AUO came into play.

There are 327 ports though, most ports don't have much opportunity to make 15K in a year...much less cap out.
                          Don't forget BPA makes FLSA too. That can be $400+ per paycheck on top of the AUO and base of a GL 7, GL 9 and of course GS 11. AUO is not bad, especially in conjunction with *FLSA*.

COPRA isn't bad either, if you like working a lot of OT and it is offered. With BPA your pretty sure what you will be making. It's usually a lot more consistent.

Who is to say which is the better system. Different people will say different things; some factors include but not limited to: how much they are willing to work, or which station they are at.

It is important for all of us to remember BPA and CBPO are two totally different careers within federal law enforcement, and so is the pay system equally different.
                          Last edited by DesertEagle1; 12-23-2008, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• tell me about it

Yeah tell me about it. I just broke 101K and I havent even got the last paycheck of the year! OY VEY and I have 10K or so in OT already If you guys want to make money come to The ROW!

Originally posted by cross.sandiego View Post
                            That wouldn't be the case in ports where they are busy 24/7/365. There's enough OT for GS-7s and even GS-5s (with a little more effort and the night/Sunday differentials) to clear between $60k-$70k. A GS-11 averages close to the 6 figure plus mark - over it if he has a couple of steps. It's blood-money but it works out better than AUO.

That's just an average look. There are money whores who are already have $15k in OT money since the start of the new fiscal yr.

Comment

• Drive or Fly

The Government will pay for whatever is cheaper mileage versus airfare. Otherwise you can drive but will only get compensated up to the cost of the airfare if driving exceeds the cost of the plane ticket

Originally posted by Zebulon View Post
                              When going to fletc I understand you are flown down for free, if I were to desire to drive would I be given some $ (the $ that would have been spent on a plane ticket) or would it be my choice so no $?

Comment

• Bleed Green

You've made an outstanding choice HOOOAH

Originally posted by sap123 View Post
                                Sorry I missed this post.

Yea, I've accepted USBP, while still remaining hopeful about a CBPO gig coming through. It's not that I wouldn't mind Indio (or anywhere really), it's more that I need to be around San Diego for personal reasons. I tried to see if I could swing a closer location, but no go. Indio apparently is a great station with great things to offer, so by no means am I unhappy with the assignment in that regard.

CBPO didn't have anything to offer me when I accepted the offer. That being said, they told me I would still be active in their system to accept an EOD call. The only part where it gets tricky is that they don't usually call trainees while they are in Artesia for logistical reasons (it's a business hours thing). If I enter USBP academy I would most likely be getting the call after I finish it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4448 users online. 230 members and 4218 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X