300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by furrball409 View Post
    Also, what kind of coverage do they offer?
    Go here:
    http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/

You can research what health plan you want and how much it will cost. They also have links for vision and dental. Personally I have BC/BS basic. It doesn't require percentage payments for any service and is cheaper than the standard plan.

If I recall correctly I was enrolled the next pay period after I filled out the paperwork. At least they were taking money out of my paycheck.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by furrball409 View Post
      Out of curiosity, how often do CBPO's write reports and testify in court?

Also, say you were to get sick at FLETC and wanted to see a Doctor. Is there a facility on site to go to, or would you have to do so by other means?

Thanks
      1: That'll depend. Some ports and some Officers are busy, and write reports and see court time fairly often. In some places, you can spend a career seldom writing anything and having never gone to court.

2: There's a medical clinic on base, if it's serious/specialized enough they'll take you off-base to handle it.

Comment

• Does anyone have any ideas of the shifts at Dulles Airport?

also what other ports are under "virginia-all locations"

Comment

• Originally posted by AmahastPL View Post
          I need some advice: I’ve registered for vacancy announcement that closed in November. It listed many locations, but no New Jersey. The nearest was Virginia, and that is what I’ve picked.

I’ve just received my NOR. On the back of the letter it lists things that one may need to update (address, phone, ect.) but the point 4 reads:

4. Geographic Location Code Change to:____ (only one code is allowed).

Does that mean I can request to have my location changed to NJ even if it was not listed in the original announcement?

I have not received TO. If NJ was not listed in the announcement does it mean that they don’t need any more people there?

And if offered TO and I’ll accept VA, how long will it be before I’ll be able to transfer to NJ ?
          1: Most likely not. MHC will likely limit you to the choices offered on the announcement you applied under.

2: NJ will always need Officers. That doesn't necessary mean that there's funding for/an availability of new training slots at the moment. Still, NJ will open up training slots several times during the course of the year.

3: Never...maybe. There's really no practical method to 'transfer' within CBP.
          There are laterals to certain ports, there are overseas jobs, there are chances to swap positions with other Officers and there are promotions which will get you moving. There is little chance of a straight move though.

Being practical...there's almost no chance of moving before 2 years are up and probation is over. There's little chance of moving before you reach GS-11. Once you hit your 11, you can apply for a swap to NJ. Being as Newark is a rather large port, you'll probably see something at some point, but maybe not at first.

Likely best case...4 years, maybe a bit sooner.
          If you're lucky enough to manage a straight transfer, it probably won't happen until after you've exhausted your other alternatives, tried and failed at swapping, and otherwise have done your time. Expect that to take well over 4 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by David95XJ View Post
            Does anyone have any ideas of the shifts at Dulles Airport?

also what other ports are under "virginia-all locations"
            You Pick Virginia you have a 99.9% chance of going to Dulles. As far as shifts go we have every shift known to man and they are subject to change each pay period. Please understand that if you come to Dulles you WILL be working alot of overtime. Your most consistant schedule will be pre academy and post academy training. Once you're in the rotation you can be working any shift the bosses want you to work. We are currently trying out an assignment and shift bid program based on seniority. Not sure how that's gonna work out yet.
            Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• I'm hoping for Dulles (I'm only about 20mins away), i was just wondering what other ports were a possibility.

I take it the shifts run 24 hours, since Dulles rarely has a lull in flights.

So with OT how many hours are you typically putting in a week? I'm all for overtime i'm young and don't have many commitments.

Comment

• Quick question, during EOD pre-academy, is New Years Day considered a holiday (day off)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bizzy930 View Post
                  Quick question, during EOD pre-academy, is New Years Day considered a holiday (day off)?
                  Most likely. Count on having the day off.

I can't see why a port would pay holiday pay for someone to sit around pre-academy. Stranger things have happened though.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                    Most likely. Count on having the day off.

I can't see why a port would pay holiday pay for someone to sit around pre-academy. Stranger things have happened though.
                    Yeah I planned on visiting families on New Year Day but didn't know for sure if I will stuck in a classroom watching videos that day.. Holiday pay with the day off? Sounds wayyy too good to be true.

Comment

• Does the Buffalo Field Office typically have a backlog of people in TSU, or do people recycle through faster because it is busy port of entry?

Comment

• What's the worst case scenario for changing Geo Pref while waiting for your BI to be completed?
                        Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by qixfeet View Post
                          You Pick Virginia you have a 99.9% chance of going to Dulles. As far as shifts go we have every shift known to man and they are subject to change each pay period. Please understand that if you come to Dulles you WILL be working alot of overtime. Your most consistant schedule will be pre academy and post academy training. Once you're in the rotation you can be working any shift the bosses want you to work. We are currently trying out an assignment and shift bid program based on seniority. Not sure how that's gonna work out yet.
                          Just out of curiosity (I have no first hand knowledge) doesn’t Dulles International Airport fall under the District of Columbia? I know that it is physically in Virginia, but I do believe they classify it under the DC geographic preference?

http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/dc/

Comment

• Originally posted by gms632 View Post
                            Just out of curiosity (I have no first hand knowledge) doesn’t Dulles International Airport fall under the District of Columbia? I know that it is physically in Virginia, but I do believe they classify it under the DC geographic preference?

http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/dc/
                            LOL! Many of us fell into that trap. Yes however if you choose VA you'll be going to dulles. Yes we officially fall under the Port of Washington DC which is under the Baltimore Field Office. I questioned that too when my offer was made.
                            Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• Out of curiosity, if you had your BI (personal interview, reference interview, employment, etc) and you have an EOD date can you consider your background cleared or could it still just be interim?

Comment

• I got my eligible rating in the mail today for the VBT!! It took just over a week to receive.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9366 users online. 417 members and 8949 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X