300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
    Absolutely, its not as rare as you might think. We all know the hiring process is a little screwy but you dont get the full effect until you're at fletc and you have 48 people in your class whom all seem to have a crazy story of their own. More than 50 percent of the people do not have a completed and adjudicated BI before attending fletc. People can and will get pulled out of class, but it doesnt always result in removal. It may just be a case of "hey, we know you got arrested for MJ possesion, dont do it again, sign here" type stuff.
    how would you know if you are in interim clearance or not? i was told you have to sign a waiver if you are given interim clearance.
    CBP officer
    Referred to EOD 07/07/08
    Newark, NJ
    Nov '07 tester
    FLETC class 923

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
      There's a great deal of differences between various ports...and seaports/airports/land border ports.

Having said that...if your friend is a CBPO, has been one for four years, and does not know that he's a LEO and he has considerable arrest authority...I don't know what to say. It ain't pretty though.
      I think my friend fully understands his work responsibilities. With that said, I believe he is very unsatisfied with the job and when I talk to him he mixes in his experiences from his port with a lot of negativity. If you were to ask him, I would say he would rather be a CBPOE. I think the difference between a CBPO and CBPOE really bothers him. Honestly, the more I talk to him about the job I more I get the picture he’s not happy with it and feels stuck. He’s applied to other law enforcement jobs and been offered positions, but won’t leave because no one has matched the money he’s making at CBP. As soon as one does, I bet he leaves.

Comment

• Originally posted by cross.sandiego View Post
        I hope you enjoy wearing them in May. I ordered up a bunch of BDUs back in July...still haven't got them. Actually, I got the shirts a couple weeks ago. The best answer I could force out of them was, "You ordered a NON-Stock item.We're getting some more in mid-December and the rest of your order should ship before Christmas."

C'mon! 5 months for medium BDUs and a jacket??
        Hey if it comes in may, I'm gonna wear it in may. Money's not comin out of my pocket. I just wanna see everyone's face when I rock the fur hat. That's right pimpalicious has just come to CBP!
        Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• Originally posted by 135i View Post
          how would you know if you are in interim clearance or not? i was told you have to sign a waiver if you are given interim clearance.
          Not true unless things have changed. I had interim in May '07 as did many in my class. Didnt know till we were at fletc and they had a list of all people who's BI's werent completed. A waiver would have been nice so at least you knew before hand and could plan accordingly. They even ask you when you are getting your body armor in like week 14 if you know whether or not your BI is done. We were all like, "if you dont know, how the hell are we supposed to know!?".

Comment

Not true unless things have changed. I had interim in May '07 as did many in my class. Didnt know till we were at fletc and they had a list of all people who's BI's werent completed. A waiver would have been nice so at least you knew before hand and could plan accordingly. They even ask you when you are getting your body armor in like week 14 if you know whether or not your BI is done. We were all like, "if you dont know, how the hell are we supposed to know!?".
            I have a very hard time believing that the frequency of recruits attending FLETC getting removed/fired is as common as some people here are giving the impression of. There may be a few that get pulled into meetings to clarify/dispute some inconsistencies that aren't in and of themselves disqualifying. I'm not saying it hasn't ever happened just not something I would anticipate if I were there. So I wouldn't sweat it too much. BTW when I was attending initial entry training for the military police corps we had a small handful of people get pulled into meetings to clarify some issues in the security clearance application but no one was removed. We had one guy removed but he was caught stealing and arrested while we were there. Sad to say but he lost his 20k bonus, got his security clearance pulled, forced to take another non-security clearance related job, article 15 punishment that included loss of rank, pay, and forced extra duty. When we graduated he was still there awaiting his new MOS (job )classification. All that for a pair of 15 dollar earrings that he couldn't even wear. Kind of went of topic but I just wanted to point out some risk/reward decisions people make.

Comment

Maybe he filed a CA-1 and is on light duty, cashiering in the permits office without a weapon.

It says right on my credential:

"Who is empowered to exercise the authority and perform the
              duties provided by law and Department of Homeland Security
              regulations, including making arrests, making seizures, bearing
              firearms, or serving any order , warrant or other process."

Sounds like law enforcement to me. Oh, and notice arrest power is specifically stated.

If I'm reading too much into this somebody (maybe some non-cbpo who heard from a friend who knows someone who lives next a guy that's related to a cbpo) can correct me.

It looks like I stirred the pot here on something. I work in a DHS office, (low man on the totem poll) with a bunch of Federal Agents. I am not an agent. I catalog, file, research, and do any other thing I am asked. Because of what I wrote I am not letting the cat out of the bag and saying which department. But you could probably guess. I am young in my law enforcement career and am perusing a better job. I have applied to a ton of LE jobs. CBP is on the top of my list, I am finished with everything and waiting for the call. However, the agents that I work with, who have been very nice to me and have helped me out a lot. On more than one occasion they have told me CBPO’s are not LEO. (1811, LEAP, no investigation or prosecution power, etc...) This, on top of my friend who is a CBPO telling me all sorts of stuff about his experiences, and my own research brought me to ask questions on this forum. So you now know the source of all the questions. In fact, I have another buddy who is a border agent who swears CBPO’s are not LEO. So now you know the sources of my confusion. From my own understanding, if all CBPO’s had the power and responsibilities of a CBPOE, all these other Federal agencies would consider them LEO’s. That’s where I think the argument is. But what do I know. I am just a bottom feeder. I am going to stop with the questions on this forum. I didn’t mean to rattle the cage.
              Thanks to all those with the positive feed back!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ifoCBP View Post
                It looks like I stirred the pot here on something. I work in a DHS office, (low man on the totem poll) with a bunch of Federal Agents. I am not an agent. I catalog, file, research, and do any other thing I am asked. Because of what I wrote I am not letting the cat out of the bag and saying which department. But you could probably guess. I am young in my law enforcement career and am perusing a better job. I have applied to a ton of LE jobs. CBP is on the top of my list, I am finished with everything and waiting for the call. However, the agents that I work with, who have been very nice to me and have helped me out a lot. On more than one occasion they have told me CBPO’s are not LEO. (1811, LEAP, no investigation or prosecution power, etc...) This, on top of my friend who is a CBPO telling me all sorts of stuff about his experiences, and my own research brought me to ask questions on this forum. So you now know the source of all the questions. In fact, I have another buddy who is a border agent who swears CBPO’s are not LEO. So now you know the sources of my confusion. From my own understanding, if all CBPO’s had the power and responsibilities of a CBPOE, all these other Federal agencies would consider them LEO’s. That’s where I think the argument is. But what do I know. I am just a bottom feeder. I am going to stop with the questions on this forum. I didn’t mean to rattle the cage.
                Thanks to all those with the positive feed back!!!
                Here's a link that should answer any and all of your questions with regard to the status of CBPOs. This is straight from OPM with regards to position classification, no bias, no prejudice, no misunderstandings. Read for yourself and make your own determination.

http://www.opm.gov/fedclass/gs1895.pdf

Page 4: This [1895] series covers two-grade interval administrative positions that supervise, lead, or perform work that involves detecting and preventing terrorists and instruments of terror from entering the U.S., and enforcing and administering laws relating to the right of persons to enter, reside in, or depart from the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands and the importation or exportation of merchandise.

That's law enforcement.
                Last edited by rbakous1; 12-16-2008, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ifoCBP View Post
                  I think my friend fully understands his work responsibilities. With that said, I believe he is very unsatisfied with the job and when I talk to him he mixes in his experiences from his port with a lot of negativity. If you were to ask him, I would say he would rather be a CBPOE. I think the difference between a CBPO and CBPOE really bothers him. Honestly, the more I talk to him about the job I more I get the picture he’s not happy with it and feels stuck. He’s applied to other law enforcement jobs and been offered positions, but won’t leave because no one has matched the money he’s making at CBP. As soon as one does, I bet he leaves.
                  Wonderful! The sooner he does the sooner guys like me can take his spot! Not every job is liked by all. Most importantly I really don't think many people here actually care what your friend doesn't like. Most of us, including you, can't wait to get hired as cbpos. Btw I'm really anxious to know what agency within dhs you work for? Is there some reason why you do not specify?
                  "Do you have an appointment?"

-Gupta Rajan

Comment

• Originally posted by Orleanian84 View Post
                    Wonderful! The sooner he does the sooner guys like me can take his spot! Not every job is liked by all. Most importantly I really don't think many people here actually care what your friend doesn't like. Most of us, including you, can't wait to get hired as cbpos. Btw I'm really anxious to know what agency within dhs you work for? Is there some reason why you do not specify?

Ok, Ok, kill all that. Lets talk CBP fur hats. Who's gettin one. Merlin, Cross, CTRT... I know you guys are checkin in out! Well maybe not Merlin. I bet he already got his.
                    Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• The last exchange regarding the LE status of CBPO's got me wondering. I know their authority is restricted to the border. But I mean say a passenger clears customs in Newark, walks out of international arrivals, strolls over to the Starbucks stand 60 feet away and robs the cashier. Would a CBPO standing in line for his double espresso mocha grande (obviously this is a ridiculous example, but work with me here) have the authority to do anything more than a regular civilian?

This is the kind of crap that floats through my head while I wait for TSU to call.

Comment

• Originally posted by rbakous1 View Post
                        I have a very hard time believing that the frequency of recruits attending FLETC getting removed/fired is as common as some people here are giving the impression of. There may be a few that get pulled into meetings to clarify/dispute some inconsistencies that aren't in and of themselves disqualifying. I'm not saying it hasn't ever happened just not something I would anticipate if I were there. So I wouldn't sweat it too much. BTW when I was attending initial entry training for the military police corps we had a small handful of people get pulled into meetings to clarify some issues in the security clearance application but no one was removed. We had one guy removed but he was caught stealing and arrested while we were there. Sad to say but he lost his 20k bonus, got his security clearance pulled, forced to take another non-security clearance related job, article 15 punishment that included loss of rank, pay, and forced extra duty. When we graduated he was still there awaiting his new MOS (job )classification. All that for a pair of 15 dollar earrings that he couldn't even wear. Kind of went of topic but I just wanted to point out some risk/reward decisions people make.

Yeah thats what i was saying. Its not like they are shi* canning everyone, but people get pulled out of class on the regular to clarify issues and be made aware that certain behaviors can not be tolerated in their new position.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hound77 View Post
                          The last exchange regarding the LE status of CBPO's got me wondering. I know their authority is restricted to the border. But I mean say a passenger clears customs in Newark, walks out of international arrivals, strolls over to the Starbucks stand 60 feet away and robs the cashier. Would a CBPO standing in line for his double espresso mocha grande (obviously this is a ridiculous example, but work with me here) have the authority to do anything more than a regular civilian?

This is the kind of crap that floats through my head while I wait for TSU to call.
                          Yeah, you are within your right to try to stop a crime in progress.
                          Last edited by barnaj; 12-16-2008, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Yeah, you are within your right to try to stop a crime in progress.
                            Yes sir you are correct, while on duty and in uniform you can respond to a crime committed in front of you. Most states if not all give you Peace Officer Status WHILE ON DUTY. I think there was a thread on that not to long ago, but I'm not sure.
                            Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

If I'm reading too much into this somebody (maybe some non-cbpo who heard from a friend who knows someone who lives next a guy that's related to a cbpo) can correct me.
                              Haha, I like your style Sir.
                              Better to die than live a coward.

"An unarmed man is a subject, an armed man is a citizen" Thomas Paine

Comment

• Originally posted by qixfeet View Post
                                Yes sir you are correct, while on duty and in uniform you can respond to a crime committed in front of you. Most states if not all give you Peace Officer Status WHILE ON DUTY. I think there was a thread on that not to long ago, but I'm not sure.
                                The truth of the matter is, it is your responsibility to help out, especially while in uniform. Civilians can make citizens arrest and detain people while waiting for local LE to respond. Couldnt imagine having a security camera video of a 7-11 robbery appear on the 11 oclock news, and there i was in the background in uniform hiding behind the doritos...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9500 users online. 477 members and 9023 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X