Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, anybody with announcement 20-2?
    passed all the steps and waiting on the final offer.
    hoping for Newark nj or Jfk, but don’t know what to expect.
    good luck to everyone!!

Comment

• I applied back in December 2018 for NYC/JFK. I waited for the final offer since September 2021. On March 25th I got a final offer call and NYC wasn’t listed. I was offered Washington state, North Dakota, Minnesota, Montana, California and Arizona. Out of the california locations I was told over the phone that Otay Mesa, Calexaco, and San Ysidro, were offering a 25% incentive. I was given until March 26th to make a choice. I went with Otay Mesa and confirmed over the phone about the conditions of employment and the 25% incentive. I received a final offer email yesterday March 28th. My pay grade was incorrect and I was informed by email that Otay Mesa doesn’t have a 25% incentive. Due to providing me with wrong information from multiple people I sent an email to withdraw from Otay Mesa and wait until until the location I applied for in 2018 JFK/Queens, New York is available. I dislike how they provided me with misleading information at the beginning of my career. Especially since integrity is the CBP cornerstone.

Comment

• Kdrgn7
        Kdrgn7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Damn bro that sucks man. I too applied for jfk/queens on 5/2019. Just passed the drug test and waiting for an offer. This process is way to long to not get offered the location we applied for.

• davidbang
        davidbang commented
        Editing a comment
        You said it. I know people who applied after me that are currently working at JFK, which doesn’t seem fair at all. But I got a new offer today. Out of the list I’m on the fence between upstate NY or San Francisco. Both locations offer 25% bonus per year as well. But the upstate location is in the middle of nowhere

• Cbplife
        Cbplife commented
        Editing a comment
        I am also announcement 20-2, but I didn’t know you can decline/ withdraw from a offered location and wait for the location you applied for.
        Best of luck with the process!

• PM015
        PM015 commented
        Editing a comment
        Just an FYI. "The beginning" of your career is the day you EOD.
        If Otay (and the others) are in San Diego, the LP is ~ 30%
        Last edited by PM015; 04-26-2022, 06:58 PM.

• Would working in an airport be better than working at a border crossing? Especially at a northern border? What would the pros and cons be?

Comment

• ES90
        ES90 commented
        Editing a comment
        Best answer is it depends on a lot of factors that I really can't answer without more info from you. Not to mention the job can vary so widely port to port. What do you want to do in your prospective future career? I can give you my opinion but know I'm a land border guy who has zero interest ever seeing the inside of a terminal. Ask an airport guy what they like and they'll have nothing but good things to say about the airport.

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        Airports are almost always closer to civilization, if that helps. Probably more overtime availability over the NB as well...although as ES pointed out...it largely depends on the missing particulars.,

• davidbang
        davidbang commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry for the late response. I got a final offer call and was given 24 hours to decide. Out of the list I was either considering San Francisco (airport) or Maine (border). Both are offering 25%. By the time I called back to confirm for San Francisco they told me they gave it away. So I’m headed to Maine haha.

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good luck in ME.

• Does anyone have any insight on Otay mesa? How the port is? OT/ forced or voluntary OT? Work/life balance etc.? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Comment

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        Since no one with more personal experience with Otay has come along....Otay is a fairly large, mostly truck cargo port. Like most cargo ports, I'd expect overtime to be less crazy than at a comparable passenger port. Being a southern border port, I'd still expect a goodly amount of overtime in the end.

• Istanbul52
        Istanbul52 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you so much for the info

• Calitown
        Calitown commented
        Editing a comment
        Retirement land border port from what I was told.

• Anyone in FLETC right now coming to JFK ??? Would like a favor. Something picked up at Sally's Cop Shop. Please let me know... Much appreciated

Comment

• Not to be a smarter-*** but why would I pay $16.00 when I can ask someone down there to do me a solid. We do it all the time. It's a yes, no or dont reply to the post kinda of answer really...

Comment

• Calitown
        Calitown commented
        Editing a comment
        Bro nobody owes you anything, much less some stranger who doesn't even know you. Quit being cheap and lazy.

• I never said no one owes me ****... Ain't got nothing to do with being cheap either. It's called comradery. I guess you're one of those who fake that **** through Fletc just to get by... As I said, I asked. If no one can do it, "A FAVOR". Fine.. Never knew asking for a favor, was now deemed as a type of claim to self-titlement.

Comment

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been a CBPO since day one. Nobody has ever accused OFO of having comradery.

• thelonelybum
        thelonelybum commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm surprised you still post here merlin

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        Back in the old days this was a far healthier thread and much more involved/participated in by the CBPO community. Sadly, things change. The same holds true for the Delphi board, it stands now as a shadow of itself in it's glory days too.

I try to help out where I can. Not many CBPOs post here these days, especially senior people. Lots of misinformation and malinformation out there.

• Calitown
        Calitown commented
        Editing a comment
        Kevin1234 Yea uh huh, keep telling yourself that cheapo.

• Let’s be real, nobody’s getting called any variation of the word smart around CBP.

Comment

• Just got the call today. They have the worse location out right now. They have nothing for the east side except maine and massena, new york

Comment

• allan93
          allan93 commented
          Editing a comment
          They only give 24 hours to make your decision right can you ask them to put it on hold until better locations are available?

• Chaermos
          Chaermos commented
          Editing a comment
          They told me after 24 you don’t make a choice you ****ed

• merlin436
          merlin436 commented
          Editing a comment
          Choose wisely...and with the likelihood that it'll be years before any sort of opportunity for relocation comes about. Because, for the most part, it will take years to find an avenue out of most of those hard-to-fill ports.

• davidbang
          davidbang commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m from NYC, I initially applied to JFK in 2018. I was given a final offer and they messed up their end of communication back in March. So I got another chance to choose locations. I settled for Maine since it offered a 25% bonus as well as starting at GS9. It seems like they’re only offering border ports, the only exception is San Francisco airport since it’s expensive af out there.

• I’ll be doing my exam may 17, hopefully I’ll pass.

Comment

• V_AntCBP
          V_AntCBP commented
          Editing a comment
          Lindsey Duong you will be fine, most of everything is fairly easy, passable, except polygraph.

• Do they still use the CBP applicant portal? Last time I applied in 2018, they had to the app. I already took the written (waiting on results), but the applicant portal says I don't have any open applications. Does the applicant portal not work until after my results come out?

Comment

• Originally posted by fsi1212 View Post
          Do they still use the CBP applicant portal? Last time I applied in 2018, they had to the app. I already took the written (waiting on results), but the applicant portal says I don't have any open applications. Does the applicant portal not work until after my results come out?
          Taking forever to update. I reapplied (thank you merlin) and I think all that expired was the medical/physical. Still says no active applications, also.

Comment

• Does anyone have recommendations on a southwestern border location that is good for families? I know next to nothing about the southern border states other than I’ve spent 6 months in Sierra Vista, AZ and wasn’t too fond of that area. I’m specifically looking for a duty station that would benefit my 5 kids ages 1-6 years old. Things for them to do and areas where daycare is available and affordable.

Comment

• After 2 years, and since I failed the polygraph last time, when reapplying do I have to go through the medical exam, the physical tests and all the process over again, or would my last results would still valid after 2 years? Can someone provide more info on that, I mean I don't have a problem taking all the tests again, I just want to pass the polygraph.

Comment

• BlueLou
                BlueLou commented
                Editing a comment
                I had to reapply after almost two years.... so far only thing expired is medical/physical. Interview is good for 36 months. I did drug test, poly and BI less than a year ago. You may have to redo pee test and probably take a look at your equip.

• 20-2
              Passed my poly and got the drug test this week, I know my last step is the background investigation. I have poor credit will this get me disqualified? Most of my bad credit was for closed accounts that are paid off and my credit is recovering. Currently have no debt. I'm aware I might get hit with a NOPA. Anyone got some insight that was in the same boat?

Comment

• Lindsey Duong
                Lindsey Duong commented
                Editing a comment
                Omg I’m the same, my credit was really bad 2 years ago but I’m slowly paying it off right now. I mostly just have some student loans and couple of credit cards. I’m also worry that this might disqualify me later on.

• V_AntCBP
                V_AntCBP commented
                Editing a comment
                well, prepare to explain to a NOPA and/or background investigator why you had bad debts, as long as they are satisfied with your answers, you are good. They would care if you were irresponsible, accumulated debts and didn't pay or couldn't pay. They dig very deep into your credit/debts (they will redo background check every 5yrs even when you are in). I cosigned for my ex to get a car, she missed ONE car payment I think 7 8 years ago or something like that, they questioned me about it, I had no idea, had to argue with them little bit, but finally, I realized it was my ex. I explained to them and they satisfied with my explanation. Its ok to have debts but you gotta to be responsible and make payments, don't let it goes collection. If it did, make phone call, settle, make payments. Run a full credit check to see what you have, settle with creditor, prepare explanations. Good luck, if you have any question, message me castrooj Lindsey Duong

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4609 users online. 286 members and 4323 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X