300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ifoCBP View Post
    Is that a joke? Body armor? We didn't even wear body armor while running in the army. Wearing body armor while sitting behind a glass service window holding a rubber stamp. I have seen the Feds do some wacky stuff but spending money on body armor for CBP? Wow. If your on the southern border, I can see why you might need body armor. But sitting in an airport, I don't think so. I could be wrong. I have a friend who has worked for CBP for the past four years. Never once had to pull his weapon, never caught any terrorists, never had anything exciting. Tons of minor stuff with lots of paper work. I have read tons of posts here asking questions about guns, batons, tazers, types of training, etc. I hope people realize this is a non-LEO position with little action. If you are looking for car chases and extreme stuff, you are applying to the wrong agency. Don't get me wrong, CBP has bigs busts, but the odds of us (if we are hired) of being in on one is little to none. I really want this job, but when I read about people upsett with then type of weapon they will be carrying to offensive driving skills it puzzles me. From my understanding, CBPO's do not even have the power to arrest. If the situation is serious they can detain a person, then they call a Federal LEO to take over. Just know what you are getting into. According to my friend who already is a CBPO. (not on the border) Most of the training you get in FLETC will be the first and last time you ever use it.

Perhaps you need to go back an review the job description. You really don't have a clue!

Comment

• Originally posted by qixfeet View Post
      Those that think we should merge have no Idea what we do. CBPO is infact a Law Enforcement position. A CBPO does not have the athority to do investigations and prosicutions. That is the job of the CBPOE. You're friend is speaking of his port and his port only. No the job is not action packed but it is not danger free either. I wear my vest everyday. The way I feel is the day I don't wear it is the day something will pop off. As a CBPO I have made arrest done bordings, cleared private aircraft, and many other things. All of these things have the potential to go south if weapons are found, drugs are found or flat out the person is wanted. Some people will try to get violent if you sieze there goods. CBP is a specialized law enforcement, and intel agency. Stick to the mission and port policy you will be fine. If you don't like the mission and port policy there are plenty of other agencies hiring. Know what your getting into with CBP and use it to further whatever it is that you want to do in law enforcement. This is far from my dream job, but I have learned things here that will help me advance in my career in LE.
      Bravo! Good answer!!

Comment

• To all CBPO'S vf solutions is up and running.

Comment

• Originally posted by Colt1911 View Post
          Does CBP make you take polygraph?
          What is the starting salary for CBP in los angeles county?
          Do you have to have a 4 year degree or law enforcement experience to apply?
          I have an associates and have no law enforcement experience but currently a design engineer, I was wondering if I have a chance.

CBP does not normally make you poly as part of the hiring process, however they have the option of requiring one should an issue arise in your background. Polys are conducted by SA's with CBP/IA.

You do not need LE experience to apply. Almost all of the CBP Officers I have met have bachelor's degrees, but very few had actual LE experence. Some were offered GS-5 and some as GS-7. Not sure if it is a draw of the hat, outstanding scholar, or what that gets you a GS-7 offer (when you apply for both 5/7) versus just a GS-5.

Starting salary on the OPM website does NOT include OT, which can add up to (but NOT guaranteed) $35K extra. You can probably pull $45-50K your first year according to people I have spoken with. I think most of those guys/gals have roommates to cut down on costs.

Hope his helps. I'm not with CBP, rather know people that are....

Comment

• Anyone with or knew of someone with "interim clearance" but got pulled out of the academy?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bizzy930 View Post
              Anyone with or knew of someone with "interim clearance" but got pulled out of the academy?
              Yup. Hopefully you have nothing to worry about because the dude I know that got yanked got yanked 2 weeks before graduation.

Comment

• how is it that you can pass your background on CASS, then get pulled out of the academy for something that "comes up"?

Comment

• Originally posted by jflores View Post
                  how is it that you can pass your background on CASS, then get pulled out of the academy for something that "comes up"?
                  I hear this happens with local and state academies as well. The "initial" background passes and the candidate goes into the academy. Sometime later, something "comes up" and the candidate is pulled.
                  Patience is a virtue

Comment

• Originally posted by mi562 View Post
                    Perhaps you need to go back an review the job description. You really don't have a clue!
                    About what? Re-read what I wrote. These are not my ideas, but experiences of a friend of mine who works at CBP as a CBPO. So really what you’re saying is he does not have a clue?? Good one. Don't kill the messenger. What I have gathered in the past two days is every port is different, therefore I should not take what my friend is saying as the rule of thumb. Rather, his experiences at his port. Maybe instead of me going back and reading the job description you should work on your reading comprehension skills.

Comment

• Originally posted by jflores View Post
                      how is it that you can pass your background on CASS, then get pulled out of the academy for something that "comes up"?
                      The easiest way to explain this is to view the BI as three separate processes. The first process is a review of the information provided on the SF-86. If no flags are raised then you go to part two, the electronic database checks. If something turns up on the review a determination is made whether the issue results in an automatic disqualification. If it is not disqualifying then you are passed on to phase two, but you are not eligible for the interim clearance. If nothing comes up on the checks you are most likely given an interim clearance. This allows whatever agency you applied at to hire you. The next phase involves talking with people, collecting information from agencies that do not have their systems accessible from DC, and most of all contacting you. This is where people who are being dropped from the academy are having problems. Something turns up in the last phase that is disqualifying and they are fired.
                      But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by ifoCBP View Post
                        About what? Re-read what I wrote. These are not my ideas, but experiences of a friend of mine who works at CBP as a CBPO. So really what you’re saying is he does not have a clue?? Good one. Don't kill the messenger. What I have gathered in the past two days is every port is different, therefore I should not take what my friend is saying as the rule of thumb. Rather, his experiences at his port. Maybe instead of me going back and reading the job description you should work on your reading comprehension skills.

There's a great deal of differences between various ports...and seaports/airports/land border ports.

Having said that...if your friend is a CBPO, has been one for four years, and does not know that he's a LEO and he has considerable arrest authority...I don't know what to say. It ain't pretty though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bizzy930 View Post
                          Anyone with or knew of someone with "interim clearance" but got pulled out of the academy?
                          Absolutely, its not as rare as you might think. We all know the hiring process is a little screwy but you dont get the full effect until you're at fletc and you have 48 people in your class whom all seem to have a crazy story of their own. More than 50 percent of the people do not have a completed and adjudicated BI before attending fletc. People can and will get pulled out of class, but it doesnt always result in removal. It may just be a case of "hey, we know you got arrested for MJ possesion, dont do it again, sign here" type stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by CTRT View Post
                            To all CBPO'S vf solutions is up and running.
                            Yes sir! Trench coat and fur hat here I come!
                            Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• Originally posted by qixfeet View Post
                              Yes sir! Trench coat and fur hat here I come!
                              I hope you enjoy wearing them in May. I ordered up a bunch of BDUs back in July...still haven't got them. Actually, I got the shirts a couple weeks ago. The best answer I could force out of them was, "You ordered a NON-Stock item.We're getting some more in mid-December and the rest of your order should ship before Christmas."

C'mon! 5 months for medium BDUs and a jacket??
                              ========================================

sigpic

I feel the need - the need for speed.

Maverick and Goose, TOPGUN

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                                Having said that...if your friend is a CBPO, has been one for four years, and does not know that he's a LEO and he has considerable arrest authority...I don't know what to say. It ain't pretty though.

Maybe he filed a CA-1 and is on light duty, cashiering in the permits office without a weapon.

It says right on my credential:

"Who is empowered to exercise the authority and perform the
                                duties provided by law and Department of Homeland Security
                                regulations, including making arrests, making seizures, bearing
                                firearms, or serving any order , warrant or other process."

Sounds like law enforcement to me. Oh, and notice arrest power is specifically stated.

If I'm reading too much into this somebody (maybe some non-cbpo who heard from a friend who knows someone who lives next a guy that's related to a cbpo) can correct me.
                                ========================================

sigpic

I feel the need - the need for speed.

Maverick and Goose, TOPGUN

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12353 users online. 485 members and 11868 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X