Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hey Guys, anyone have a link to what I should bring to Fletc???
    How about pre-academy, too? I know it's buss. casual dress

    Just saw a couple scatterd items, but no comprehensive lists, thanks.

    Comment


    • I'm new here but have learned a lot about the job and application process through this forum. I applied in the last announcement and got my nor of 100 last week. I chose fl-all other locations as my geo pref, not realizing it excluded miami. I want south florida, and so am now hoping for ft lauderdale airport or port Everglades. Does anyone know if those locations hire frequently relative to other POE in Florida? Also, of anyone has gone through the process for fl, how long did it take for you? Thanks

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Ogonj View Post
        I'm new here but have learned a lot about the job and application process through this forum. I applied in the last announcement and got my nor of 100 last week. I chose fl-all other locations as my geo pref, not realizing it excluded miami. I want south florida, and so am now hoping for ft lauderdale airport or port Everglades. Does anyone know if those locations hire frequently relative to other POE in Florida? Also, of anyone has gone through the process for fl, how long did it take for you? Thanks
        If you haven't received a TO yet, you can always change your preference.
        But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

        For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by yoda View Post
          CBPO's have been covered since June 08' I believe, hence the new age requirements for entry, and mandatory retirement at 57.
          Now, how many times does everyone here have to tell you that CBPO's are FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS for the Department Of Homeland Security...you keep asking, we keep telling you!... The majority of the responses you have gotten from actual officers and those in the process have confirmed that indeed CBPO's are FLEO's, and some have even directed you to do a bit of research... That sounds like a great idea, don't you think?
          As to your school forgiving payment for becoming an officer, that's something you have to take up with your school.
          Good Luck Bud!...
          Asking questions on an open forum is research. I have done a ton of research and everything I have found contradicts one another. I have found about 25-30 articles on the web saying CBPO’s are not LEO and about 25-30 saying they are LEO. Today I asked an agent in my office if CBPO’s are LEO and he said he didn’t think so. “They are not 1811 and do not receive LEAP.” I don’t know what those are, but I am going to look into it. (That’s part of the research process) In the world of law enforcement there are some major discrepancies as to weather CBPO’s are LEO. I also believe I am finding out that some agencies don’t consider CBP LEO and others do. I don’t know why that is and I am trying to find out. I believe the questions I have been asking are appropriate. I am just trying to clarify why so many people say they are or are not LEO.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by ifoCBP View Post
            Asking questions on an open forum is research. I have done a ton of research and everything I have found contradicts one another. I have found about 25-30 articles on the web saying CBPO’s are not LEO and about 25-30 saying they are LEO. Today I asked an agent in my office if CBPO’s are LEO and he said he didn’t think so. “They are not 1811 and do not receive LEAP.” I don’t know what those are, but I am going to look into it. (That’s part of the research process) In the world of law enforcement there are some major discrepancies as to weather CBPO’s are LEO. I also believe I am finding out that some agencies don’t consider CBP LEO and others do. I don’t know why that is and I am trying to find out. I believe the questions I have been asking are appropriate. I am just trying to clarify why so many people say they are or are not LEO.
            1811 is a job series number for Special Agent/Criminal Investigator; they receive Law Enforcement Availability Pay (LEAP) because of the overtime they are required to work.
            ICE SA
            FLETC - MAY 10th Class

            Comment


            • The one I always liked was the police officer position that wasn't considered LE in the eyes of the federal government. The simple rule of thumb is don't ask why just accept it. Like a lawyer in the academy was famous for saying, "If the SCOTUS says this eraser is a chicken, it's a chicken. Don't argue, just go with it."

              Many other agencies still see us as inspectors, just as they see their 12(d) retirement as 6(c), which went out when FERS replaced CSRS in the early 80's. It's what they see and they refuse to go with the changes that have occurred.
              But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

              For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                The one I always liked was the police officer position that wasn't considered LE in the eyes of the federal government. The simple rule of thumb is don't ask why just accept it. Like a lawyer in the academy was famous for saying, "If the SCOTUS says this eraser is a chicken, it's a chicken. Don't argue, just go with it."

                Many other agencies still see us as inspectors, just as they see their 12(d) retirement as 6(c), which went out when FERS replaced CSRS in the early 80's. It's what they see and they refuse to go with the changes that have occurred.
                I think you hit the nail on the head. You can see why I have been confused.
                The office I work in see's CBP as inspectors, and has not accepted the new changes. I see a lot of that in DHS.
                Thanks!!!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by juststartedthis View Post
                  1811 is a job series number for Special Agent/Criminal Investigator; they receive Law Enforcement Availability Pay (LEAP) because of the overtime they are required to work.
                  Thanks!!

                  Comment


                  • How long is the typical CBPO's shift?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by ifoCBP View Post
                      Asking questions on an open forum is research. I have done a ton of research and everything I have found contradicts one another. I have found about 25-30 articles on the web saying CBPO’s are not LEO and about 25-30 saying they are LEO. Today I asked an agent in my office if CBPO’s are LEO and he said he didn’t think so. “They are not 1811 and do not receive LEAP.” I don’t know what those are, but I am going to look into it. (That’s part of the research process) In the world of law enforcement there are some major discrepancies as to weather CBPO’s are LEO. I also believe I am finding out that some agencies don’t consider CBP LEO and others do. I don’t know why that is and I am trying to find out. I believe the questions I have been asking are appropriate. I am just trying to clarify why so many people say they are or are not LEO.


                      Yeah don't mind Yoda. The majority of his post is always about telling people to do some "research" and blah blah blah. Never hesitate to ask questions because that is the purpose of this forum.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by ifoCBP View Post
                        currently work for DHS and many people in my office didn't even know CBPO's have guns. Infact, they joke about how CBP and TSA should merge. They actually make fun of me for applying, but I really want the job.
                        People make fun of you? I used to be a street cop making 40k, now I am a CBPO making 85k.

                        I dont care if people call me law-enforcement or not

                        CBP is law-enforcement but most people only think law-enforcement is what they see on COPS.

                        Comment


                        • Does CBP make you take polygraph?
                          What is the starting salary for CBP in los angeles county?
                          Do you have to have a 4 year degree or law enforcement experience to apply?
                          I have an associates and have no law enforcement experience but currently a design engineer, I was wondering if I have a chance.
                          LASD
                          Written Test 10/08
                          Oral Interview 10/08
                          Turn in packet 10/08
                          Background Investigator 12/08
                          Polygraph 12/08
                          Coopers Test 1/09
                          Ride Along 1/09
                          Jail Tour 1/09
                          Background Submited 4/01/09

                          Comment


                          • Their are many in federal law enforcement who aren't 1811's and who do not receive LEAP. There are many federal LEO's who are not classified as 'LEO's' under retirement and special pay rates. Everyone in the BOP is classified as 'LEO's' and is getting 'LEO' retirement and special pay. Care to argue that BOP teachers, librarians, cooks and secretaries are 'LEO's'?

                            'CBPO's' were just as much LEO's back in the day when they were titled "inspectors". Postal Inspectors are '1811' criminal investigators with LEAP, anyone care to argue that they're are not LEO's based on the position title? What of US Marshals...they're not Agents, Officers or Inspectors. They are however '1811' Criminal investigators with LEAP. Go figure.

                            What sort of Agent and in what sort of DHS office is there someone who actually doesn't know that CBPO's are LEO's? Somewhere a village is missing it's idiot.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                              If you haven't received a TO yet, you can always change your preference.
                              I contacted DHS and they said they can not change my geo pref. I just have to wait for my TO, decline it, and reapply when there is another announcement

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Colt1911 View Post
                                Does CBP make you take polygraph?
                                What is the starting salary for CBP in los angeles county?
                                Do you have to have a 4 year degree or law enforcement experience to apply?
                                I have an associates and have no law enforcement experience but currently a design engineer, I was wondering if I have a chance.

                                You need to check the OPM website for general schedule pay. If you were hired it will be at GS 5 or 7. It will show you the percentage you add to your base salary for locality pay. I do believe that CBP can make you take a poly but it's not mandatory. I know that Border Patrol has polygraphed it's applicants in the past, so if border patrol can I'm sure CBP has the authority too. Both CBP and Border patrol fall under the same parent agency DHS customs and border protection. I would take the approach to your application as if you are going to be polygraphed no matter what, that's your best bet. You can can check the CBP website for thier minimum qualifications but I think you should be OK with an AA and some full-time work experience. CBPO is an entry level LE job but not an entry-level job itself so you may need to enhance your qualifications through education/work or military experience if need be.
                                Last edited by rbakous1; 12-15-2008, 04:51 PM.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 6583 users online. 331 members and 6252 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X