300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jflores View Post
    Can CBPO's arrest people that commit crimes out on the street, if they happen to be there while the crime was committed?
    Yes, kind of. We have authority to arrest on any federal violation, however we are trained and supposed to be proficient in Customs and Immigration laws. Since we are not trained in most other federal laws you'd be taking your life/job into your own hands to arrest on anything else. A parallel would be the DEA and ATF. Both are federal agencies that have arrest authority, the same as ours. DEA is trained in drug enforcement so it doesn't make any sense for one of their agents to arrest for a violation of our laws. The same goes with ATF. As CBPO's we also don't have investigatory authority. This limits our authority to stopping crimes in progress without conducting a long range investigation. If an investigation is required then ICE is notified to conduct it. Many times we are instructed to not enforce some of the Immigration laws outside the ports, because it is a very large kick in the genitals to other ports and hirer ups. I would hate to see the ramifications for attempting to enforce laws outside our agency.

Think of our authority as a combination of a small city street cop and a large department homicide detective. We can enforce any of the laws, but the larger crimes are handled by detectives or outside agencies because of the long range investigation required. A homicide detective can arrest on any law the same as the street cop. Since the detective is specialized in homicide they don't arrest on any other crime unless it is linked to a homicide. If the detective did make an arrest on say fraud, without and link to homicide, they would be hemmed up very quickly and put back into place or put back on the street with the street cops.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
      You are very misinformed. CBPO’s most certainly do have statutory power of arrest. It is included in both Title 8 and Title 19. I have worked in the airport, seaport, and land border port environments wore a vest everyday and continue to wear one every day. Every CBPO is issued a vest regardless of where they work. I was involved in many physical altercations in the airport including one in which my arm was broken. It is a mistake to think that you cannot get injured or killed doing this job. Is it likely? No, but you are given the training for a reason.

FB
      Maybe. What's the difference between border agent and CBPO? Why is one a LEO and the other is not? How come my friend who is a CBPO says that any time something serious goes down they call a CBPO who is a LEO? I am not sure what that position is called, maybe you do. Also, my friend, says he never wears his vest and he does not know anyone who does. My buddy also says that CBP trys to keep a low profile at his airport and let the local police run the show. Why an I getting mixed messages? Are there different rules for different ports? Is CBP ever going to be LEO? What's the difference in arrest power? I currently work for DHS and many people in my office didn't even know CBPO's have guns. Infact, they joke about how CBP and TSA should merge. They actually make fun of me for applying, but I really want the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by ifoCBP View Post
        Maybe. What's the difference between border agent and CBPO? Why is one a LEO and the other is not? How come my friend who is a CBPO says that any time something serious goes down they call a CBPO who is a LEO? I am not sure what that position is called, maybe you do. Also, my friend, says he never wears his vest and he does not know anyone who does. My buddy also says that CBP trys to keep a low profile at his airport and let the local police run the show. Why an I getting mixed messages? Are there different rules for different ports? Is CBP ever going to be LEO? What's the difference in arrest power? I currently work for DHS and many people in my office didn't even know CBPO's have guns. Infact, they joke about how CBP and TSA should merge. They actually make fun of me for applying, but I really want the job.
        Those that think we should merge have no Idea what we do. CBPO is infact a Law Enforcement position. A CBPO does not have the athority to do investigations and prosicutions. That is the job of the CBPOE. You're friend is speaking of his port and his port only. No the job is not action packed but it is not danger free either. I wear my vest everyday. The way I feel is the day I don't wear it is the day something will pop off. As a CBPO I have made arrest done bordings, cleared private aircraft, and many other things. All of these things have the potential to go south if weapons are found, drugs are found or flat out the person is wanted. Some people will try to get violent if you sieze there goods. CBP is a specialized law enforcement, and intel agency. Stick to the mission and port policy you will be fine. If you don't like the mission and port policy there are plenty of other agencies hiring. Know what your getting into with CBP and use it to further whatever it is that you want to do in law enforcement. This is far from my dream job, but I have learned things here that will help me advance in my career in LE.
        Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

Is that a joke? Body armor? We didn't even wear body armor while running in the army. Wearing body armor while sitting behind a glass service window holding a rubber stamp. I have seen the Feds do some wacky stuff but spending money on body armor for CBP? Wow. If your on the southern border, I can see why you might need body armor. But sitting in an airport, I don't think so. I could be wrong. I have a friend who has worked for CBP for the past four years. Never once had to pull his weapon, never caught any terrorists, never had anything exciting. Tons of minor stuff with lots of paper work. I have read tons of posts here asking questions about guns, batons, tazers, types of training, etc. I hope people realize this is a non-LEO position with little action. If you are looking for car chases and extreme stuff, you are applying to the wrong agency. Don't get me wrong, CBP has bigs busts, but the odds of us (if we are hired) of being in on one is little to none. I really want this job, but when I read about people upsett with then type of weapon they will be carrying to offensive driving skills it puzzles me. From my understanding, CBPO's do not even have the power to arrest. If the situation is serious they can detain a person, then they call a Federal LEO to take over. Just know what you are getting into. According to my friend who already is a CBPO. (not on the border) Most of the training you get in FLETC will be the first and last time you ever use it.
          It depends on where you work. If you are at a southern land border that is the real deal my friend.....cop land. If you are at a major seaport working narcotics you may re-think your opinion on wearing body armor. You pop a container with 500lbs of coke you can bet someone is watching. Agreed the airport it doesn't seem necessary, but you never know. Some wack job rolls into the airport and starts shooting it up I don't want to be the guy without the body armor. I wear it, but most guys don't it is personal preference. I also choose to be in good shape, but most guys choose not to. Go figure.

Comment

ha ha. tsa and cbp merging... that would be a crisis!
            wat makes a border agent a leo and cbpos not leos? do u think they give cbpos a gun badge and cuffs so they can play cowboys and indians?
            its all about jurisdiction. airport leos work airport security. if a ticket agent has a rude passenger she calls the airport police because its their job to handle security not cbp. cbpos have different jobs at their port of entry (for a description of duties visit www.cbp.gov). both enforce laws, just different ones at different places.
            "Do you have an appointment?"

-Gupta Rajan

Comment

btw what agency do you work for? if it is fams or ice then I'm surprised they don't know anything about cbp? if its fema or tsa then I'm not too surprised? who in dhs could possibly make fun of you for applying to cbp? many don't have much room to talk, especially tsa

-Gupta Rajan

Comment

• CBP has always been (and will always continue to be) a law enforcement agency. CBPO's have been and will always continue to be LEO's.

Internal policies and the agency's desire to mostly only do niche law enforcement must always be considered though.

Comment

From my understanding, CBPO's do not even have the power to arrest. If the situation is serious they can detain a person, then they call a Federal LEO to take over.
                  BTW, that's usually an arrest.

Depriving a person of their freedom of movement, under color of law, with the intention of prosecution equals arrest...regardless of who puts the cuffs on or who cuts the actual paper for the arrest.

Comment

• Body Armor

I have to voice my opinion about body armor. When I was on patrol I wore my body armor everyday even when I went to court. The way I was trained is that any time you get into an altercation with some there is always a weapon involved, and you brought it. One of my collateral duties now is equipment management for my department. There is a reason that when you purchase body armor for an agency that does not issue duty weapons (We can carry from a 9mm to a .45) you have to take into account will the body armor stop the round everyone is carrying.

There is always the chance you will be shot with your own weapon or a partners weapon.
                    Last edited by wmcgalrd; 12-14-2008, 09:51 PM.

Comment

• its a new week to recieve phone calls for those of us waiting on TSU!!! WOO-HOO!
                      Better to die than live a coward.

"An unarmed man is a subject, an armed man is a citizen" Thomas Paine

Comment

• Originally posted by LingerLonger View Post
                        its a new week to recieve phone calls for those of us waiting on TSU!!! WOO-HOO!
                        Thats what I'm talkin about!!!

-Gupta Rajan

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                          CBP has always been (and will always continue to be) a law enforcement agency. CBPO's have been and will always continue to be LEO's.

Internal policies and the agency's desire to mostly only do niche law enforcement must always be considered though.
                          Thanks for all your responses; I have learned a lot more. I have come to the conclusion that each port must be different. However, I am confused about one thing. If CBPO’s are LEO, how come they don’t get the same retirement as other federal LEO positions? Border agent, ICE agent, Federal Marshal, Secret Service, etc.. Why do border patrol agents work for the same department and are official LEO and CBPO’s are not? I don’t get it. If I get this job can I say I am LEO? Because if I do the University I graduated from will forgive a large portion of my student loan. So can I officially say I am a Federal LEO? About three months ago I read that the CBP union was fighting for LEO status? Did they get it and I didn’t hear about it? Why do other agencies say CBP is not LEO?
                          Sorry for all the questions.
                          Thanks again for all the responses!!

Comment

Thanks for all your responses; I have learned a lot more. I have come to the conclusion that each port must be different. However, I am confused about one thing. If CBPO’s are LEO, how come they don’t get the same retirement as other federal LEO positions? Border agent, ICE agent, Federal Marshal, Secret Service, etc.. Why do border patrol agents work for the same department and are official LEO and CBPO’s are not? I don’t get it. If I get this job can I say I am LEO? Because if I do the University I graduated from will forgive a large portion of my student loan. So can I officially say I am a Federal LEO? About three months ago I read that the CBP union was fighting for LEO status? Did they get it and I didn’t hear about it? Why do other agencies say CBP is not LEO?
                            CBPO's have been covered since June 08' I believe, hence the new age requirements for entry, and mandatory retirement at 57.
                            Now, how many times does everyone here have to tell you that CBPO's are FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS for the Department Of Homeland Security...you keep asking, we keep telling you!... The majority of the responses you have gotten from actual officers and those in the process have confirmed that indeed CBPO's are FLEO's, and some have even directed you to do a bit of research... That sounds like a great idea, don't you think?
                            As to your school forgiving payment for becoming an officer, that's something you have to take up with your school.
                            Good Luck Bud!...
                            CBPO
                            Written: 08/29/2007
                            EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

If CBPO’s are LEO, how come they don’t get the same retirement as other federal LEO positions? Border agent, ICE agent, Federal Marshal, Secret Service, etc.. Why do border patrol agents work for the same department and are official LEO and CBPO’s are not? I don’t get it. If I get this job can I say I am LEO?
                              Yes, we are federal LEO's. Our jurisdiction and responsibilities are just a bit different. There is a perception that CBPO's are not LEO's, but I think that stems from the fact that we were called inspectors before we were officer's.

We have the same 12(d) retirement as the other agencies you listed. When the law was passed to give us the retirement several modifications were included. ALL of the modifications were to our benefit. The end result is we have a retirement that is better than the 12(d) retirement provided to the agencies you listed.
                              But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

There is a definition of LEO used by Uncle Sugar with regards to 'LEO' special pay rates and retirement. By that definition, CBPO's are not 'LEO's'. Under that definition, many other Federal LEO's are not 'LEO's'. It is not a common sense definition, it's a definition used to save the government money.

Back in the day, there was a push by the federal government to save money in the school lunch program by classifying certain condiments as vegetables.
                                Those folks from other agencies claiming CBPO's aren't LEO's are a lot like the USDA people who bought into the 'ketchup and pickle relish are vegetables' line of thinking.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7232 users online. 386 members and 6846 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X