Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've read conflicting information so I figured Id ask in here. Are CBP officers allowed to carry off duty?

Comment

• SpcCain
      SpcCain commented
      Editing a comment
      Answered my own question.
      They are always armed. All of these officers may be armed 24/7 anywhere in the US or Customs territory. Many choose to be armed off duty, many don't. (The officers stationed overseas obviously don't carry weapons off duty)

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      There are places outside the US where CBPOs are armed. It depends on the agreements with the host countries.
      Off-duty carriage is subject to agency policy. Many CBPOs carry on state authority, especially in those states who respect the 2nd amendment.

• m4rk567
      m4rk567 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. You may .

• It's exciting reading everyone's progress reports. Hang in there guys! Total stranger rooting for you over here, fwiw.

I have a question about after we get on board: does anyone know much about working with K-9 units in CBP? Like how far into your career does an officer get those opportunities? Is there anything I can do before I apply to make it more likely some time in the future I could work with a K-9 unit for CBP?
    And same question with off-road, 4x4, horse-mounted, and dirtbike-mounted opportunities.
    I'm interested in a lot of different things at CBP, but these are like huge bonuses to me! ^^^

Good luck, all.
    Hopefully I'll be not too far behind you.

Comment

191121811 commented
      Editing a comment
      Something from cajunchik from 11 years ago, 2009: "K9 is a great gig. You have to be at a journeyman level to even be accepted for that now (gs-11). But even then, you are competing against your coworkers, so you have to build up the resume. The great thing is that K9 gets to work all over with other agencies. It isn't uncommon for us to work with locals, DEA, or CBP airwing just to name a few. I am biased but I think it is the best job we have. Only problem is you are limited for supervisor positions and transfers. The dog is about 1 1/2 years old once training starts. They work until roughly 10 years. K9 school is in the middle of the woods in virginia."

• m4rk567
      m4rk567 commented
      Editing a comment
      A lot depends on where you are stationed. Its very likely that in El Paso you get te chance once you are journeyman than Chicago for example.

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      Not many opportunities for off-road, 4x4, horse-mounted, and dirtbike-mounted duties in OFO.

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, FWIW, journeyman level is now GS-12.

• corsair @fonzi7979 Look like were are the only ones got stuck at 50% for almost 2 years for poly... Wondering what is going on to our applications. !!!!!!

Comment

• nonotnow
      nonotnow commented
      Editing a comment
      Another 19- 4 applicant waiting over a year for a poly.

• corsair
      corsair commented
      Editing a comment
      At this point if I get called i'm winging the polygraph which is probably the best thing I can do - if it works out so be it. I'm going to be fully vested at my current job before I ever get anywhere with CBP.

• StevenMal
      StevenMal commented
      Editing a comment
      19-4 here. Been 50% for about 22 months

• rergang3
      rergang3 commented
      Editing a comment
      same here! Sad thing is, is that after my pre-security interview, I took my shot at asking if they have a reasonable estimate on when the poly would be because two years is coming up fast and the guy said that's totally unacceptable and that he apologizes. He talked about how he was put on a task force to reduce the hiring window down to 3 months. He mentioned how they had it just about figured out and then covid hit. So that sucks
      Last edited by rergang3; 11-23-2020, 01:21 PM.

• Good Afternoon, wondering if anyone can shed some light on the Spanish program at the CBP Academy? How long is the Spanish’s portion, how in depth is it, difficulty etc. Thank you in advance for any insight anyone may be able to provide.

Comment

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe it's just Miami airport, Miami seaport and a couple of tiny ports residing under Miami oversight. Not Orlando.

I don't know what is currently offered. It'll change as needed anyway. Off the SWB...probably some version of the standard fare...isolated, remote ports along the northern border, maybe more isolated ports like the USVIs and Guam, Detroit is a good bet, maybe Buffalo, possibly Blaine WA, Add in San Francisco, maybe JFK.

Then, next tier ports are possibly a few good-sized port standards...Champlain, Chicago, Dulles, Long Beach, Miami. Boston is often a decent bet. I wouldn't bet against Atlanta.

From there...whatever. Many ports need people...at least by pre-COVID standards. Of course, just because a port has staffing openings, that doesn't always translate into a strong desire to hire new bodies...especially in the COVID world.

• DRohn167
      DRohn167 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks brother I really appreciate your time and input. Considering making the move from BPA to OFO.

• rergang3
      rergang3 commented
      Editing a comment
      You spend an extra 6 weeks compared to non-spanish and the program is literally Rosetta Stone unless it's been changed in the last year

• SpinyNorman83
      SpinyNorman83 commented
      Editing a comment
      As of 5 days ago, I received email notification I am enrolled in web based Spanish training from 02/09-05/13, so right after finishing here at FLETC. If your port requires you to take Spanish, you will take the initial Spanish proficiency test here at FLETC to determine if you need the follow on Spanish training. The dates will vary depending on if there is another out break here shutting down training, but that is as far as I know for now. I will be at the southern border.

• Any insight from those of you who have received final offers as to what ports are being offered other than SW border?

Comment

• m4rk567
      m4rk567 commented
      Editing a comment
      Douglas and Lukeville, AZ; Calexico and San Francisco, CA; Detroit, MI; Grand Portage, MN; Dunseith, Pembina, and Portal, ND; and Blaine, WA. Also, VT, ME ports. ABay, NY

• If you need a good laugh

http://forums.delphiforums.com/custo...ssages/36601/1

Comment

• Is NYC-jfk not being offered right now? That’s the announcement I applied for so I’m hoping they’re still hiring. If not, when do you guys think they will start hiring again?

Comment

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        JFK is the largest of the ports at around 1200 Officers.

If they're not hiring today you can pretty much expect something soon...at least in the pre-COVID world. With COVID...and an airport...who really knows what air travel will look like in the near future?

• SpcCain
        SpcCain commented
        Editing a comment
        I Believe it's only open to VRA applicants . That was the only reason I was able to get it

• Any updates, I mean anything at all. Stock at 50% waiting for the poly to go to jfk or Newark at this point i dont even know anymore.

Comment

• NYC201812
        NYC201812 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm also hoping to get JFk but from what I read from multiple forums, it's currently not an option due to covid unfortunately. Hoping it comes back again by the time we get an offer.

Here's my timeline for reference:
        11/2018 - First applied
        4/2019 - SI Passed
        12/2019 - Medical cleared, they had to follow up on some items.
        10/2020 - Polygraph to be scheduled.
        12/2020 - Polygraph appointment.

• fonzi7979
        fonzi7979 commented
        Editing a comment
        NYC201812 congrats to getting scheduled. I have the same timeline as you and still waiting to be scheduled for the poly and hoping to get to JFK when all is said and done. Keep us posted.

• NYC201812
        NYC201812 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, will do! I'll give another update if I get up to the drug test.

• People are being bussed to Charleston for quarantine then bussed back to Glynco again.
      Last edited by KayCan; 11-17-2020, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• After waiting 76 weeks I finally got the call early this am to schedule my polygraph for this Friday. When I did talk with the poligaphier they were booked solid for the next month at my closest field office and I just got lucky they had an opening for this Friday.

Timeline

Vacancy 19-8 & 19-11

05/2019: Apply, entrance exam, and tentative job offer
        06/2019: Medical Passed
        06/2019: Eqip submitted
        06/2019: Fitness Test Passed
        06/2019-11/2020: WAIT FOR THE POLY CALL
        11/2020: Schedule Poly this upcoming Friday
        Background: PENDING
        Drug: PENDING
        Final Offer: PENDING
        Last edited by supNova95; 11-16-2020, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• standtheman
          standtheman commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats, May i ask what location is your polygraph ?

• supNova95
          supNova95 commented
          Editing a comment
          standtheman Detroit

• Redwings1993
          Redwings1993 commented
          Editing a comment
          supNova95 Did my poly couple weeks ago in Detroit and failed, but the examiner I did it with was very professional and friendly so you’ll have a good time.

• Finally,

Got the call, cbpo , for Vra they are not offering any ports in the Northeast. they have a few list of airports and seaports accepting request. You have to give them your choices and they will call the port Commander. Once the commander approves, they will call you back to let you know what your choices are nothing open on the northeast. My choice is were, Miami, Fl, Boston Ma, Mcallen texas, Wilmington Delaware, Richmond Virginia, Atlanta Georgia or Erie Pennsylvania.

they will get back to me tomorrow or the day after after hearing back from the commanders.

Stick it out guys.

Long process but it can be done just be persistent.

Applied 18-2
        Switched
        Hired 20-1 Vra

I have no EoD yet because I'm waiting for a recruiting to get back to me on the approved ports, as only some ports are taken in applicants. I made my selection of seven ports, now recruiting has to call the port directors to see who wants me. Once a port directors selects me to go to his port, she will let me know who they are in at that point I will make the final determination and get my final EOD.

I drug tested August 15th, I got the call two days ago on November the 16th, nearly about 2 months later.
        Last edited by Mcdanh1; 11-19-2020, 07:06 AM.

Comment

• DRohn167
          DRohn167 commented
          Editing a comment
          Mind me asking what they gave you for an EOD?

• AMMO2071
          AMMO2071 commented
          Editing a comment
          Man. How long after the drug test? I had my drug test last week. Waiting patiently... kinda.

• AMMO2071
          AMMO2071 commented
          Editing a comment
          I am in the Pacific Northwest, and want to stay here. As a VRA applicant, I’ve heard you have leverage on where you eod.

• OutofRoll
          OutofRoll commented
          Editing a comment
          It take about a month to two months

• Wait but even if you applied for a certain location there’s still a possibility that you might not be able to get that location? I applied for NYC and I’m guessing that’s not an option right now.

Comment

• merlin436
          merlin436 commented
          Editing a comment
          Nothing is certain...but if you applied under a specific port under a specific announcement, it's a pretty safe bet that that particular port is an option for you.

• Mcdanh1
          Mcdanh1 commented
          Editing a comment
          No gonna be open in the near future

• Looks like I’m out. 19-5 JFK and still waiting for a poly. Meanwhile I just received a TOL from ICE in September and was notified of my EOD date yesterday. Literally not even two months to get hired by ICE, yet it’s been nearly 2 years for CBP. Crazy how the government works.

Comment

• merlin436
          merlin436 commented
          Editing a comment
          ICE= different agency...and OFO is pretty much the red-headed bastard step child of DHS.

• fonzi7979
          fonzi7979 commented
          Editing a comment
          merlin436 you couldn’t have said it any better way I agree with you on that note. Just my opinion once they merged all under DHS it seems like some agency are being neglected.

• Had my SI and Pre-Security interview yesterday. Passed it and it went well. Don’t be nervous, just be yourself.

You’re placed where you are needed. Nothing is set in stone. If you put in for the NYC area and you’re needed in Florida, pack your bags and sunscreen because you’re going down south. From the sound of it, this career is great and offers a lot of benefits. Good pay, health insurance, savings, 20 year retirement. You’d be foolish not to take it, especially when you’re young. I wish I would have done this ten years ago.

Was told the polygraph may take up to 10 months, and to call to check in just in case you’re looked over, etc. Now all I’m waiting on is the background, drug test and polygraph exam. Looking forward to it all. Good luck everyone!
        Last edited by mayhemcyclesinc; 11-18-2020, 10:44 AM.
        NYPD 2311, #4XX

Comment

• fonzi7979
          fonzi7979 commented
          Editing a comment
          mayhemcyclesinc congrats to getting through the first phase in the hiring process. I agree you need to be open minded. Just to share with you I applied back in November 2018 and I completed my SI in April 2019 and I am still waiting to be scheduled for the polygraph exam.

• How do you contact your case manager & did you all who are waiting for poly received a phone call saying that will you wait for 2021. Answers will be appreciated.

Comment

• fonzi7979
          fonzi7979 commented
          Editing a comment
          You can email or call your Case Manager. In regards to the call they wanted to know if you are still interested in pursuing a career with Customs and Border Protection. The wait continues. Hopefully not too long but with COVID-19 it’s day by day. Good luck to you and everyone.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5976 users online. 311 members and 5665 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X