300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Orleanian84 View Post
    dies ay... that gives me some ideas. joke!

seriously I would rather be able to have more choices of cities if I knew I would have to wait this long. didn't they used to allow applicants three geo choices instead of one?
    Yes.

Be careful what you ask for though...you just might get it.

Back in those days hardly anyone was hired on in less than 18 months from test date and in many cases things stretched out the wait time for 3 years or more.

Comment

• Originally posted by asfred View Post
      I've been in the hurry up and wait routine for over a year now for Wa all other locations. Tested in Nov. 2007. After reading your post jwm, I thought I had chosen the wrong location, and almost flipped out. After going back and checking all the paperwork I received, Wa - all other locations includes Longview, Port Angeles, SeaTac, and Spokane. Blane -northern border is the location that has it's own geopref.

Unfortunately for you cby, it is my understanding that those who chose Wa- all other locations have a very high probability of getting SeaTac because it is much larger than all the others put together. On the other hand, most people who do choose that location, like myself, want to go to SeaTac. Good Luck to all.
      You are correct. All this FLETC studying has led to a brain dump, I suppose. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

• So any new updates from FLETC? Any new info for us new guys going in January?

Comment

• Not sure if it's been said on here yet, but supposedly the firearm quals have changed. No more 25 yd, which is sad. And also body armor will be worn during class and defensive tactics. I forgot if it will be required during the runs though.

Comment

• Originally posted by rbakous1 View Post
            Does anyone know if CBP offers student loan repayment for eligible federal student loans?
            i was wondering the same thing... are federal perkins loans forgiven if ur a CBPO?

Comment

• Originally posted by ghost_ix View Post
              Not sure if it's been said on here yet, but supposedly the firearm quals have changed. No more 25 yd, which is sad. And also body armor will be worn during class and defensive tactics. I forgot if it will be required during the runs though.
              I have a hard time believing that.

Comment

• 25 Yards

Originally posted by barnaj View Post
                I have a hard time believing that.
                Moi aussi.

On my last qual I asked about the rumor regarding 25 yds being added to the shoot. I was told to expect it in the near future (but that it was not absolutely 100% a done deal yet.)
                ========================================

sigpic

I feel the need - the need for speed.

Maverick and Goose, TOPGUN

Comment

Not sure if it's been said on here yet, but supposedly the firearm quals have changed. No more 25 yd, which is sad. And also body armor will be worn during class and defensive tactics. I forgot if it will be required during the runs though.
                  Is that a joke? Body armor? We didn't even wear body armor while running in the army. Wearing body armor while sitting behind a glass service window holding a rubber stamp. I have seen the Feds do some wacky stuff but spending money on body armor for CBP? Wow. If your on the southern border, I can see why you might need body armor. But sitting in an airport, I don't think so. I could be wrong. I have a friend who has worked for CBP for the past four years. Never once had to pull his weapon, never caught any terrorists, never had anything exciting. Tons of minor stuff with lots of paper work. I have read tons of posts here asking questions about guns, batons, tazers, types of training, etc. I hope people realize this is a non-LEO position with little action. If you are looking for car chases and extreme stuff, you are applying to the wrong agency. Don't get me wrong, CBP has bigs busts, but the odds of us (if we are hired) of being in on one is little to none. I really want this job, but when I read about people upsett with then type of weapon they will be carrying to offensive driving skills it puzzles me. From my understanding, CBPO's do not even have the power to arrest. If the situation is serious they can detain a person, then they call a Federal LEO to take over. Just know what you are getting into. According to my friend who already is a CBPO. (not on the border) Most of the training you get in FLETC will be the first and last time you ever use it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ifoCBP View Post
                    From my understanding, CBPO's do not even have the power to arrest. If the situation is serious they can detain a person, then they call a Federal LEO to take over. .

Your understanding is quite inaccurate.
                    ========================================

sigpic

I feel the need - the need for speed.

Maverick and Goose, TOPGUN

Comment

• Originally posted by ifoCBP View Post
                      Is that a joke? Body armor? We didn't even wear body armor while running in the army. Wearing body armor while sitting behind a glass service window holding a rubber stamp. I have seen the Feds do some wacky stuff but spending money on body armor for CBP? Wow. If your on the southern border, I can see why you might need body armor. But sitting in an airport, I don't think so. I could be wrong. I have a friend who has worked for CBP for the past four years. Never once had to pull his weapon, never caught any terrorists, never had anything exciting. Tons of minor stuff with lots of paper work. I have read tons of posts here asking questions about guns, batons, tazers, types of training, etc. I hope people realize this is a non-LEO position with little action. If you are looking for car chases and extreme stuff, you are applying to the wrong agency. Don't get me wrong, CBP has bigs busts, but the odds of us (if we are hired) of being in on one is little to none. I really want this job, but when I read about people upsett with then type of weapon they will be carrying to offensive driving skills it puzzles me. From my understanding, CBPO's do not even have the power to arrest. If the situation is serious they can detain a person, then they call a Federal LEO to take over. Just know what you are getting into. According to my friend who already is a CBPO. (not on the border) Most of the training you get in FLETC will be the first and last time you ever use it.
                      You are very misinformed. CBPO’s most certainly do have statutory power of arrest. It is included in both Title 8 and Title 19. I have worked in the airport, seaport, and land border port environments wore a vest everyday and continue to wear one every day. Every CBPO is issued a vest regardless of where they work. I was involved in many physical altercations in the airport including one in which my arm was broken. It is a mistake to think that you cannot get injured or killed doing this job. Is it likely? No, but you are given the training for a reason.

FB

Comment

• I was wondering about the whole bullet proof vest question myself. I would figure if you are armed then you would be issued a vest, Correct?
                        Last edited by FreeAgent; 12-13-2008, 09:54 PM. Reason: wrong spelling

Comment

• I'm currently in "pre-academy". All of those things I said about the shooting and use of body armor are what is being relayed back to us by current students at FLETC. No more 25 yard shooting because they were losing too many "good" officers. Now the max is 15 yds, just like what they require when you return to your ports.

As far as the body armor goes, its true, some if not most officers don't wear them while on the job due to the lack of action. For me, i'll always wear it. Even if I never have to pull my gun on somebody, theres always the chance that my own firearm could be wrestled away from me and used against me.
                          Last edited by ghost_ix; 12-13-2008, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• I've heard the same tales elsewhere about dropping the 25 yard quals and mandating vests for the classroom. I have no idea if they are true.

Are far as the vests go, they're internal wear. Unless you're working in a very hot place, or someone has an ill-fitting vest on, I'm not sure how anyone could easily tell just who's wearing a vest? Heck, I wear mine for insulation value...fall, winter, and spring.

Comment

I'm currently in "pre-academy". All of those things I said about the shooting and use of body armor are what is being relayed back to us by current students at FLETC. No more 25 yard shooting because they were losing too many "good" officers. Now the max is 15 yds, just like what they require when you return to your ports.

As far as the body armor goes, its true, some if not most officers don't wear them while on the job due to the lack of action. For me, i'll always wear it. Even if I never have to pull my gun on somebody, theres always the chance that my own firearm could be wrestled away from me and used against me.
                              They must be changing things then because when i went through the armor wasnt even issued till like a couple weeks before graduation. On top of that, the body armor is just more sh** that wont fit in your locker in the ptd building. The armor was very nice and its a great option to have if you want to wear it on the job. But to sit around agriculture class and TECS classes all day in body armor and to walk the campus in 100 degrees in a vest is absurd.

Comment

• Can CBPO's arrest people that commit crimes out on the street, if they happen to be there while the crime was committed?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10061 users online. 339 members and 9722 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X