300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NAL06 View Post
    Got back from the VBT today..definitely an interesting experience...I think all went well...hopefully...The lady who moderated, said that CBP hopes to have all those currently processing done within the next month or so, as the end of the year is when all those eligible for retirement will do so..I understand it is a different time with the economy the way it is, but the fact that I've already the VBT and have already been scheduled for the med/fitness within just the last week, makes me optimistic
    Good info thanks. Good Luck

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
      Well...

First let me say I'd be very wary of taking serious career advice from anyone posting on this board, that includes me.

Here goes though...

If you take the job in Calexico you'll likely lock yourself into Calexico for the next 2-4 years...maybe longer. Can you live with that?

SYS and OTM are huge ports which are likely always understaffed. It's not a question of if a training slot opens up for them but when. Most likely we're talking of days and weeks rather than months, too.

Do you have a decent job now where you have no need of making a hasty decision?
      Are you far enough under the age of 37 that you can wait the 2-6-12 months to get pulled for a new offer?

Me? I'd likely defer. You're looking to get into one of two major ports that bleed officers nearly every day. Chances are almost certain that training slots will open for one or both of them soon.

thanks for your reply.. i actually got cleared under the whole interim clearance thing. the person at tsu stated that if i was to defer, which i'm almost certain i will, i wouldn't get another offer until i am fully cleared. i'm hoping that the san ysidro and otay mesa ports will be in that offer. i'm guessing this is why i'm given the option of defering. i'm not fully cleared yet and it seems they are hurting for people at andrade, calexico.

also to answer your questions, i am rounding the age of 31 and job wise, i think i do have a fairly decent job. just concerned that after being thrown back into the pool i will have to wait another year or so to get another offer.

thanks again to all the replied.
      Last edited by SD619; 12-12-2008, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSB_Hunter
        At the seaports, do you wear cargos and boots?
        It depends on your job. Seaports can do both passenger and cargo. If you are working cargo you will probably be wearing class 4 (cargo pants)and boots. If you work passenger you will probably wear class 2 and something black on your feet.
        But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• what is the longest period anyone has seen someone waiting it up at tsu? I'm just checking to see if I hit the record.
          "Do you have an appointment?"

-Gupta Rajan

Comment

• Originally posted by rbakous1 View Post
            Good info thanks. Good Luck
            Thanks.....How long is the academy at FLETC? I thought I had read in the initial paperwork something about 73 days, but thought it would be longer

Comment

• Could someone please PM me the # for the Freedom of Info Act that is relavent to CBP? Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSB_Hunter
                Let me guess, three and a half months?
                got that beat

-Gupta Rajan

Comment

• Originally posted by SD619 View Post
                  thanks for your reply.. i actually got cleared under the whole interim clearance thing. the person at tsu stated that if i was to defer, which i'm almost certain i will, i wouldn't get another offer until i am fully cleared. i'm hoping that the san ysidro and otay mesa ports will be in that offer. i'm guessing this is why i'm given the option of defering. i'm not fully cleared yet and it seems they are hurting for people at andrade, calexico.

also to answer your questions, i am rounding the age of 31 and job wise, i think i do have a fairly decent job. just concerned that after being thrown back into the pool i will have to wait another year or so to get another offer.

thanks again to all the replied.
                  Since your BI isn't fully cleared, I'll be guessing that you'll be waiting many months, maybe even a year until it does clear.

Ultimately, it's your call. If you go the Calexico route, expect to be there at least 2 years and that's highly optimistic. On the other hand, you'll have the benefit of starting sooner and maxing out your GS-11 sooner.

If you sit tight, you'll eventually get a call for SYS or OTM...you may wait a bit for it though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Orleanian84 View Post
                    what is the longest period anyone has seen someone waiting it up at tsu? I'm just checking to see if I hit the record.
                    Years I would bet. Someone looking to get into a tiny airport in Nebraska, Oklahoma, etc. will wait forever until someone moves, retires, promotes or dies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kingcol View Post
                      Could someone please PM me the # for the Freedom of Info Act that is relavent to CBP? Thanks.
                      What sort of FOIA request?

The general public "I want to know how many cars passed through Alburg, VT on 11/23/2006 between the hours of 1400 and 1600?" question?

Or the "I'm an applicant and I want to know what's been dug up and in my file?" question?

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                        Years I would bet. Someone looking to get into a tiny airport in Nebraska, Oklahoma, etc. will wait forever until someone moves, retires, promotes or dies.
                        dies ay... that gives me some ideas. joke!

seriously I would rather be able to have more choices of cities if I knew I would have to wait this long. didn't they used to allow applicants three geo choices instead of one?

-Gupta Rajan

Comment

• Originally posted by rbakous1 View Post
                          Does anyone know if CBP offers student loan repayment for eligible federal student loans?

I too am interested in this question.

Comment

• Originally posted by Orleanian84 View Post
                            what is the longest period anyone has seen someone waiting it up at tsu? I'm just checking to see if I hit the record.
                            I have a friend that went through the entire process. It took him three years until he received the call. I have another friend that just graduated FLETC friday, her process time was only nine months before she got the call.

Comment

• Washington Locations

Originally posted by jwm0516 View Post
                              Seattle has it's own geopref so it isn't at all likely that you would go there unless you change. It seems that as of late most everyone with your geopref (myself included) has been offered the Northern Border ports of Blaine and Sumas. There may also be Oroville if that hasn't filled up. PM me if you have any further ?s
                              I've been in the hurry up and wait routine for over a year now for Wa all other locations. Tested in Nov. 2007. After reading your post jwm, I thought I had chosen the wrong location, and almost flipped out. After going back and checking all the paperwork I received, Wa - all other locations includes Longview, Port Angeles, SeaTac, and Spokane. Blane -northern border is the location that has it's own geopref.

Unfortunately for you cby, it is my understanding that those who chose Wa- all other locations have a very high probability of getting SeaTac because it is much larger than all the others put together. On the other hand, most people who do choose that location, like myself, want to go to SeaTac. Good Luck to all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ry greve View Post
                                I have a friend that went through the entire process. It took him three years until he received the call. I have another friend that just graduated FLETC friday, her process time was only nine months before she got the call.
                                I would not like to wait three years for a new job, especially knowing that I may be able to switch my geo pref to a different city during an open announcement period and make my hiring sooner. I'm seriously debating doing that on the next open period. But I have to consider the uncertainty surrounding both actions. If I stay, I may risk waiting forever. If I change, my city might start hiring again, while the other city I choose might slow down. I guess life really is a gamble...

-Gupta Rajan

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8055 users online. 427 members and 7628 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X