Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just wanted to let everyone know that my medical cleared now I am waiting for my backgound to clear met with my BI mm awhile ago but I am confident I wont have a problem there. Anyone know how michigan is looking for the magic phone calls
    Tested March 08
    TO June 08
    Medical COMPLETE 12/08
    VBT complete 08 passed
    Qualification GS-5 September 08
    BI September 08 complete April 09

FITNESS REDO AUG 7TH FAILED
    NOW IT IS TIME TO START ALL OVER AGAIN

Comment

• Hey is there only 1 training facility?

Comment

• Originally posted by cby View Post
        Hey is there only 1 training facility?
        Well there are more than one, depending what agency you are going to training for. But for the purposes of entry level CBPO, you'll be going to FLETC in Glynco, GA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bizzy930 View Post
          I got the call this past Monday and acceptance papers Wednesday for San Francisco. From what I was told, I filled up the very last slot for SFO.
          You might be the last slot for your FLETC date. My buddy just got the call yesterday for San Francisco, EOD date Jan 5th, FLETC date, Jan 27th. According to another friend who already works at San Francisco, San Francisco hires 3-5 a week. It never stops. Out of that 3-5 one or two usually quit before they even get to FLETC because the realize the job is not as law enforcement as they thought, and another one will quit, fail, get injured or have family issues while in FLETC. If you graduate, the numbers don't get any better. A large percent of those who graduate FLETC and become CBPO's quit or move on to another agency. I believe he said around 80-100 officers quit a week across the nation. Crazy. Maybe that will change with the economy so bad. My friend also said most everyone for San Francisco goes to the airport. You spend 3-5 years rubber stamping there and if a slot opens up you can try to jump over to the port side. However, getting over to the port is tough.

Comment

• Originally posted by ifoCBP View Post
            You might be the last slot for your FLETC date. My buddy just got the call yesterday for San Francisco, EOD date Jan 5th, FLETC date, Jan 27th. According to another friend who already works at San Francisco, San Francisco hires 3-5 a week. It never stops. Out of that 3-5 one or two usually quit before they even get to FLETC because the realize the job is not as law enforcement as they thought, and another one will quit, fail, get injured or have family issues while in FLETC. If you graduate, the numbers don't get any better. A large percent of those who graduate FLETC and become CBPO's quit or move on to another agency. I believe he said around 80-100 officers quit a week across the nation. Crazy. Maybe that will change with the economy so bad. My friend also said most everyone for San Francisco goes to the airport. You spend 3-5 years rubber stamping there and if a slot opens up you can try to jump over to the port side. However, getting over to the port is tough.
            Is that a general rule of thumb in most areas... That entry level CBPOs are sent to airports over ports?
            CBPO
            Tested - 8/21/08
            TO - 9/23/08
            TSU - 12/23/08
            Geo Pref - Eastern TX

Comment

• Originally posted by bulldog777 View Post
              Is that a general rule of thumb in most areas... That entry level CBPOs are sent to airports over ports?
              No, i dont think that is the case. Its all based on staffing needs.

Comment

• Originally posted by bulldog777 View Post
                I don't know. My friend works at San Francisco and that's how they do it. I had my VBT at San Francisco port office and no one was under 40 years old. I didn't get to see the airport, but I have been told that's where most people get sent to.

Comment

• Originally posted by SevenSixTwo View Post
                  I'm wondering if there is anyone from the San Francisco, Bay Area that is waiting for that magic phone call?
                  Right Here! I'm just going about my daily buisness and hopeing to get that call myself. I'm hopeing to get Oakland over San Fran. My BI sent my paperwork the day before Thanksgiving.

Comment

• Originally posted by ifoCBP View Post
                    Ah, I see. When TSU called me, they were going to place me in Los Angeles. That was until I asked them to double check any vacancy in the Bay Area. I don't feel so lucky anymore now that you told me this, haha.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bizzy930 View Post
                      I got the call this past Monday and acceptance papers Wednesday for San Francisco. From what I was told, I filled up the very last slot for SFO.
                      WOW!!! Grats!!!

Hmmm...I'm hoping I still get a slot. I applied for this slot almost a year ago. It's also been almost 2 months since I've started BI.
                      Patience is a virtue

Comment

• Hey everyone, I just got the "call" today and was offered andrade, calexico.. I was hoping for something closer to san diego (san ysidro, otay mesa, tecate). the person at scheduling said he had nothing for san diego right now and that i could defer the offer.

my question is if i was to defer, what are the chances if any that they would call me back and offer me something closer to where i live. the trip to calexico would be 120 miles one way. would i be ruining my chances by defering?

thanks you guys and good luck to everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by SD619 View Post
                          Hey everyone, I just got the "call" today and was offered andrade, calexico.. I was hoping for something closer to san diego (san ysidro, otay mesa, tecate). the person at scheduling said he had nothing for san diego right now and that i could defer the offer.

my question is if i was to defer, what are the chances if any that they would call me back and offer me something closer to where i live. the trip to calexico would be 120 miles one way. would i be ruining my chances by defering?

Which vacancy did you test under?

The July/August one (not the newest one) should have split the geo preferences into two CA-SW border preferences. One is the Calexico/Andrade, the other was the typical Otay Mesa/San Ysidro/Tecate/Winterhaven preference. I chose the latter thinking I wanted to be closer to San Diego as well.

Also, what is your timeline? I went into TSU Nov. 21st. How long have you been there?

EDIT: Actually I re-checked that it said El Centro as part of my geo preference. El Centro is close to Calexico isn't it? That could explain things.

EDIT 2: Just checked your post history. The fact that you tested so long ago would explain my theory about when you tested; You chose a geo pref that lumped all of the SW border locations all together.

As far as deferring, I'm under the impression that once you decline the offer, you're out of the applicant pool and you're done. But if they're giving you an option to defer or wait, perhaps you should ask them about changing into the newer Geo pref that ONLY includes the ports near San Diego, and not Calexico (but does include ports like Winterhaven, which is just as far as Calexico). The problem with this is is that the newest announcement didn't have this listed; it just said 'SW border locations' and didn't split them up, so I dunno if they will let you do that. Either way, good luck.
                          Last edited by sap123; 12-12-2008, 02:50 PM.
                          "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Does anyone know if CBP offers student loan repayment for eligible federal student loans?

Comment

• Originally posted by SD619 View Post
                              Hey everyone, I just got the "call" today and was offered andrade, calexico.. I was hoping for something closer to san diego (san ysidro, otay mesa, tecate). the person at scheduling said he had nothing for san diego right now and that i could defer the offer.

Well...

First let me say I'd be very wary of taking serious career advice from anyone posting on this board, that includes me.

Here goes though...

If you take the job in Calexico you'll likely lock yourself into Calexico for the next 2-4 years...maybe longer. Can you live with that?

SYS and OTM are huge ports which are likely always understaffed. It's not a question of if a training slot opens up for them but when. Most likely we're talking of days and weeks rather than months, too.

Do you have a decent job now where you have no need of making a hasty decision?
                              Are you far enough under the age of 37 that you can wait the 2-6-12 months to get pulled for a new offer?

Me? I'd likely defer. You're looking to get into one of two major ports that bleed officers nearly every day. Chances are almost certain that training slots will open for one or both of them soon.

Comment

• Got back from the VBT today..definitely an interesting experience...I think all went well...hopefully...The lady who moderated, said that CBP hopes to have all those currently processing done within the next month or so, as the end of the year is when all those eligible for retirement will do so..I understand it is a different time with the economy the way it is, but the fact that I've already done the VBT and have already been scheduled for the med/fitness within just the last week, makes me optimistic
                                Last edited by NAL06; 12-12-2008, 07:23 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7119 users online. 323 members and 6796 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X