300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post

Virtually no one makes 45K in overtime and very few even come close to 45K. For most, working at near an additional 45K would require working midnights, Sundays and a fair amount of overtime. Overtime and premium pay earnings are currently capped at $45K. Average mean overtime earnings run somewhere around $13K agency-wide in a normal year, so that ought to give you an idea of how rare it would be to approach the pay cap...especially as a GS-09. I'm not saying there's not a relative handful who manage to accomplish such a feat...but it's sure not common.
    How much would a average GS9 make in reality ?

Comment

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      Really, it depends.

For a person in the RUS locality starting GS-09 base pay is about $53K. The same person working in San Francisco would see roughly $65K starting out. Each of the many other locality pay areas has it's own pay...some are closer to San Francisco's pay levels and many are closer to RUS levels. In addition, someone with previous federal time might start as a higher level GS-09...raising his overall potential salary another $16-19K or so...and that's just in base pay.

Then, figure what said GS-09 is actually for a shift...because if he is heavily working lots of midnights, Sundays and holidays he's seeing around 30% more salary than the guy working banker's hours with weekends off. A newly hired CBPO can probably expect to work bankers hours throughout virtually all of his pre-academy, Academy and post-academy training periods.

Lastly, there's overtime. Most ports aren't exactly swimming in overtime availability, but for those who are...there is the potential to make tens of thousands more. Everything breaks st a $45K cap, regardless how one earns that additional money.

Lastly, one thing seldom mentioned is how COVID is affecting mostly passenger traffic especially at the airports and how crossing fees collection are greatly reduced and how OFO overtime is funded by such fees and how, potentially, that OT funding is seeing/could see a severe drought both in the present and for years in the future.

In other words, don't count on overtime being there...especially in today's climate.

• Ix360xI
      Ix360xI commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your respond. What is RUS?

• Dodge_Guy19-4
      Dodge_Guy19-4 commented
      Editing a comment
      RUS = Rest of United States. Mean anywhere that's not listed as a specific locality

• DrigoCBP remember the situation is very different so what most guys who are already CBP officers experienced, we're not experiencing that, this COVID-19 s**t changed alot of things, until we can get back to a level of normalcy. My face is bushy, there are persons with their hair not groomed. The Bardershop on FLETC is still closed. While we as trainees interact with each other, FLETC staff have to maintain social distancing with us. So the Barnershop for now is a No, No.

Right now, Spanish is cut from the program at FLETC. You will do Spanish at your port. They're just trying to get people out and get the new sessions in.

Comment

• TsFost
      TsFost commented
      Editing a comment
      That's good info to know since I have to take Spanish.

• Is anyone supposed to start the academy July 25??

Comment

• V_AntCBP
      V_AntCBP commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm Jul 28... Supposedly....

• DrigoCBP remember the situation is very different so what most guys who are already CBP officers experienced, we're not experiencing that, this COVID-19 s**t changed alot of things, until we can get back to a level of normalcy. My face is bushy, there are persons with their hair not groomed. The Bardershop on FLETC is still closed. While we as trainees interact with each other, FLETC staff have to maintain social distancing with us. So the Barnershop for now is a No, No.

Right now, Spanish is cut from the program at FLETC. You will do Spanish at your port. They're just trying to get people out and get the new sessions in. [/QUOTE]

@ Kevin1234 Ok bro. Thanks for the insight. I hope conditions change prior to me getting there. I EOD in a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by Nupey02; 06-11-2020, 08:18 PM.

Comment

• Just got my acceptance paper work in, I’m assuming the FGS is set for the end of the academy and the two attempts at it before then are just a gauge for it? I’m good on everything with the exception of sit and reach, never been that limber/or stretchy. I’d go to a yoga class but the damn virus has everything on lockdown...

Comment

• fonzi7979
        fonzi7979 commented
        Editing a comment
        Buck_Macdonald congratulations to you. May I ask what announcement are you in and what location have you requested or accepted? I was reading on this forum and it seems like the sit and reach is no longer a requirement at the academy. Keep us posted and good luck to you.

• spilker13
        spilker13 commented
        Editing a comment
        You take 3 FGS at academy. 3rd test is the one that counts. There is no sit and reach test. 220, pushups, 1.5 mile run.

• Kevin1234
        Kevin1234 commented
        Editing a comment
        no more sit and reach !!!

Just some advice on the FGS. To be really sure you're good on your FGS, try running your 220 in 45 secs, after about 10 Mins, do your 24 or more push ups in the 1 min, and then do your 1.5 Miles in 15 mins, about 15 mins after that.

• Would the CBP match a former Federal employee's pay that resigned from another agency?

Comment

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe. Are we talking of a DHS agency and is that former pay within the range of the entry-level hiring you're looking at? If so, maybe. If not, probably not. Years ago, Obama killed off the FCIP...which pretty much mandated pay matching. Since those days, the agency doesn't try all that hard to match pay.

• straightaim
        straightaim commented
        Editing a comment
        They will attempt to match it by increasing your step within the same grade you qualified for. But if your salary was higher in your previous job than step 10 of the grade they offered you they won’t boost you to a higher grade. It also doesn’t matter if your previous agency was within DHS or not. That’s what they did with me.

• mike2010
        mike2010 commented
        Editing a comment
        YES, and NO. I'm a current Federal employee and they're matching my current grade (GS-07) but I will be a GS-09 before my EOD and it is very unlikely that they will bump me up to a GS-09.

• SpinyNorman83
        SpinyNorman83 commented
        Editing a comment
        It all depends, as I moved over from TSA, but lost approximately $7,000 by making the move. The most you can cap out as, is a GS-9 step 10 and I would make sure HR sets your pay correctly as I am still waiting on backpay that was supposed to have been fixed a month ago. I've been told after a year you can be bumped up to GS-11, but it will be interesting to see.

• https://www.govexec.com/workforce/20...t-week/166096/

About 15,000 Homeland Security Department employees will receive reduction-in-force notices next week, warning them of upcoming furloughs in July if Congress does not provide emergency funding.
      U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services will send the notices to about three-quarters of its employees starting on or around June 19, according to multiple employees informed about the process. The letters will come in the form of RIF notices despite the temporary nature of the furlough because they are the result of a budget shortfall and are set to last 30 days. If they go into effect, USCIS is expected to extend the furloughs in 30-day increments until it either receives an appropriation from Congress or it can collect additional money through a fee increase.

FWIW. the budget of OFO, like USCIS, is driven in large part by fee collection. In fact, the whole of OFO's overtime budget is funded from fees.

Comment

• V_AntCBP
        V_AntCBP commented
        Editing a comment
        That's scary news... Especially newbies coming on board soon... Thanks for sharing

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        A sign of our uncertain and troubled times.

Now...do I think that OFO is all that close presently to RIFing people...no. Could I see it on the horizon if the current traffic and funding issues continue unabated for years or get significantly worse?...maybe.

However, should it come to pass that hiring dries up, the agency starts to offer early-out incentives to potential retirees and/or the agency looks to move people between ports with voluntary or "voluntold" moves...be more wary. There are appropriately 8,000 CBPO jobs that are funded primarily through the fees we collect normally.

• ES90
        ES90 commented
        Editing a comment
        I could see a return to or at least a new focus on the customs side of our jobs before a RIF happens. Customs is a forgotten art and I'm willing to bet we're missing out on millions. Merlin I'm not sure where you're at, but at my POE if its not coming through cargo no one cares about customs.

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        ES90...I know. On the flip side, nobody in cargo cares all that much about immigration. Between the two, there's megabucks to be collected if it was made a priority of the agency. Beyond that, there's also a whole laundry list of things,...fees, fines and services that we really should charge for...but we don't...because the mindset and commitment isn't there to maximize revenue collection within OFO.

• Anyone that has gotten the final offer lately to the Southern border that had incentives listed in the USAJOB job posting confirmed they are getting the incentive. Seeing the post a few pages back has me wondering how secure the bonus structure really is. I am a DH applicant looking at a few ports and would prefer a TX port but would go to Nogales for the 33% that was in my posting.

Thanks for all replies and good luck to all of us waiting for a poly appointment!

Comment

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        If I was betting, I could see the agency walking back from those "promised" incentive bonuses if things got rough enough.

• Nero714
        Nero714 commented
        Editing a comment
        I accepted my final offer for a southern port in az. I was told i dont qualify for the 33% incentive since in currently a federal employee. I was told the incentive was for new federal employess.

• What’s up everyone? Hope y’all are staying positive. I just wanted to ask who else is EOD December 21 for JFK ? And does anyone know how I can swap for Miami or any port in FLORIDA?

Comment

• A3PO1
        A3PO1 commented
        Editing a comment
        You have to wait till you complete your pre and post academy training or if you find someone in your academy class, you can swap with them. If you can't find anyone to swap, you can use the NROB after you've been a CBPO for two years. The NROB goes by seniority.

• invertedPanda
        invertedPanda commented
        Editing a comment
        Reapply to every new announcement each month and when they give you the call again just ask if there are any FL ports available. If not, keep your JFK selection and class date.

• fonzi7979
        fonzi7979 commented
        Editing a comment
        stanford.west congrats I see things are moving along again.

• stanford.west
        stanford.west commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes my process is now complete. Just waiting now for my first day on the job. Lol.

• I have a question. I applied back in 2018 and have passed everything, including my medical. I received an email prompting me to schedule my medical exam again. Apparently the results only last for teo years. Has this happened to anyone and if so how long will it take for my medical to clear again. Because there have been no changes.

Comment

• fort1978
        fort1978 commented
        Editing a comment
        Josh89 yes this happened to me no worries take the new exam and you should have results in about week - week and a half.

• Originally posted by corsair View Post
      Anyone receive a tentative polygraph date yet?
      I just got re-scheduled mine for late June. I’m in GA.
      USMC-6322 Comm/Nav Tech
      Oorah!

Comment

• Yshaban
        Yshaban commented
        Editing a comment
        What announcement did you apply under?

• captain2008
        captain2008 commented
        Editing a comment
        May I know did they started to reschedule you on a confirmed date in June or a general email?

• 813Deputy2b
        813Deputy2b commented
        Editing a comment
        Yshaban 19-2, in March of 2019.
        captain2008 I was scheduled for this week.

• hi everyone,
      Can somebody give me an average time for the drug test results to come back?

Thanks,

Comment

• stanford.west
        stanford.west commented
        Editing a comment
        Mine took two days

• stanford.west
        stanford.west commented
        Editing a comment
        Where are you looking to work?

• Dodge_Guy19-4
        Dodge_Guy19-4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Mine took 7-10 days. Depends are where you take it. The processing lab is on the west coast.

• Im apply for CBPO. I took the drug test in Houston, TX

Comment

• Just sent in my medical follow-up documents... it's for LASIK so nothing major.

Comment

• After a year waiting, and passing every step. My train stopped with the Adjudication process. I received a NOPA on Friday, responded that same day and got the response that I was not suitable for the position. The email also states that I address the factors that may have led to this outcome prior to re-applying.
          The issue wasn't something bad on my record but I failed to mention an incident on my E-qip that happened years ago. Asides from that, everything had been cleared. My question is, does anyone know how long would I have to wait to reapply? Or the fact that I need to include it would allow me to reapply in a short time?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4822 users online. 327 members and 4495 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X