Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin1234
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2017

DrigoCBP Our session supervisor said only for Emergency, like medical appointments, to pick up medication at local pharmacies etc. EMERGENCIES !!!

Comment

• bchalmers
      Forum Member
      • Jun 2016

Anyone else going to Long Beach, CA?

Comment

• bchalmers
        bchalmers commented
        Editing a comment
        Safranco2 I spoke to LB today and he said there is like 30 new peeps coming to LB is the next 6 months.

• commandostyle
        commandostyle commented
        Editing a comment
        Long Beach here too. Have you heard if they’re pushIng the eod dates at all? Hopefully not. Waiting on that final selection letter also, guessing a month or two before eod when folks have been receiving that?
        Last edited by commandostyle; 06-15-2020, 11:15 PM.

• Safranco2
        Safranco2 commented
        Editing a comment
        bchalmers I guess that us lol.

• camtheman77
        camtheman77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, I as well! Glad it wont only be 1-2 newbies
    • corsair
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2019

Anyone receive a tentative polygraph date yet?
      CBPO 19-4 - Switched to 19-8

CASS APP-50%
      EQIP - Completed
      Medical Exam - Completed
      Structured Interview - Completed
      Fitness Test - Completed
      Polygraph - TBD

Comment

• Turboboigti
        Turboboigti commented
        Editing a comment
        fonzi7979 I hope so, cause i got that too.

• fonzi7979
        fonzi7979 commented
        Editing a comment
        Turboboigti you and me both and everyone else too. Just a matter of time.

• JL85
        JL85 commented
        Editing a comment
        Same guys, although I’m 20-4 my medical was done a while ago and I’m just now getting my email for clearance, I hope that means they’re moving along with the process slowly but surely!

• fonzi7979
        fonzi7979 commented
        Editing a comment
        JL85 we can only hope with the communication that is being sent out will get everyone in this long process closer to the finish line. Stay positive I know it’s hard I am there too.
    • Horns36
      Forum Member
      • Oct 2015

Anyone from eagle pass that is station in the Rgv?

Comment

• Nupey02
        Forum Member
        • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Kevin1234
        DrigoCBP Our session supervisor said only for Emergency, like medical appointments, to pick up medication at local pharmacies etc. EMERGENCIES !!!
        Kevin1234 What about haircuts? Is that not a requirement at FLETC during this period?

Comment

• Dodge_Guy19-4
          Dodge_Guy19-4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol last I knew FLETC had a tiny 3 chair Barbershop. So, with social distance policies that probably means 1 customer allowed inside at a time. I'm guessing you could make an appointment when you show up, and hopefully it would be your turn in time for graduation.

That was also years ago when I attended a friend's graduation hopefully they have updated since then, if not hopefully they have planned something to address that for the current restrictions. Heard a rumor they were going to set up a trailer or something to expand the the little Express store, so who knows.

• merlin436
          merlin436 commented
          Editing a comment
          If it's mandated to get a haircuts while at FLETC I'm pretty sure FLETC and/or the responsible agency will provide for a way to get them done...otherwise they risk butting heads with multiple unions and multiple CBAs.

• Kevin1234
          Kevin1234 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea but they not making a fuss about it, they understand the situation. So they aren't looking at grooming. Even the FLETC barbershop is closed. So dont worry about it.

• TsFost
          TsFost commented
          Editing a comment
          For guys learn to give yourself a high and tight. It's super easy with a little practice and will keep you cool in the hotter weather. A $20-$40 clipper set will keep you going all academy long.
      • merlin436
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Adrenaline54
        Looking for a little clarity on this. I’m looking on the CBP website and it says a GS9 can make, “be promoted in June 2022 to GS-9 and make $52,905 - $97,905 per year” That is a $45,000 range and more than my military salary. Is that completely dependent on overtime being made? Locality to where you are stationed? Could someone shed some light on if you actually make 45k in overtime pay? Is that common? Appreciate the input.

Virtually no one makes 45K in overtime and very few even come close to 45K. For most, working at near an additional 45K would require working midnights, Sundays and a fair amount of overtime. Overtime and premium pay earnings are currently capped at $45K. Average mean overtime earnings run somewhere around $13K agency-wide in a normal year, so that ought to give you an idea of how rare it would be to approach the pay cap...especially as a GS-09. I'm not saying there's not a relative handful who manage to accomplish such a feat...but it's sure not common.

Comment

• kayro
          Forum Member
          • Apr 2020

rergang3 Well, I hoped it's because they are actually doing something lol but I guess will continue waiting patiently.

Comment

• Ix360xI
            Forum Member
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by merlin436

Virtually no one makes 45K in overtime and very few even come close to 45K. For most, working at near an additional 45K would require working midnights, Sundays and a fair amount of overtime. Overtime and premium pay earnings are currently capped at $45K. Average mean overtime earnings run somewhere around $13K agency-wide in a normal year, so that ought to give you an idea of how rare it would be to approach the pay cap...especially as a GS-09. I'm not saying there's not a relative handful who manage to accomplish such a feat...but it's sure not common.
            How much would a average GS9 make in reality ?

Comment

• merlin436
              merlin436 commented
              Editing a comment
              Really, it depends.

For a person in the RUS locality starting GS-09 base pay is about $53K. The same person working in San Francisco would see roughly $65K starting out. Each of the many other locality pay areas has it's own pay...some are closer to San Francisco's pay levels and many are closer to RUS levels. In addition, someone with previous federal time might start as a higher level GS-09...raising his overall potential salary another $16-19K or so...and that's just in base pay.

Then, figure what said GS-09 is actually for a shift...because if he is heavily working lots of midnights, Sundays and holidays he's seeing around 30% more salary than the guy working banker's hours with weekends off. A newly hired CBPO can probably expect to work bankers hours throughout virtually all of his pre-academy, Academy and post-academy training periods.

Lastly, there's overtime. Most ports aren't exactly swimming in overtime availability, but for those who are...there is the potential to make tens of thousands more. Everything breaks st a $45K cap, regardless how one earns that additional money.

Lastly, one thing seldom mentioned is how COVID is affecting mostly passenger traffic especially at the airports and how crossing fees collection are greatly reduced and how OFO overtime is funded by such fees and how, potentially, that OT funding is seeing/could see a severe drought both in the present and for years in the future.

In other words, don't count on overtime being there...especially in today's climate.

• Ix360xI
              Ix360xI commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for your respond. What is RUS?

• Dodge_Guy19-4
              Dodge_Guy19-4 commented
              Editing a comment
              RUS = Rest of United States. Mean anywhere that's not listed as a specific locality
          • Kevin1234
            Forum Member
            • Jul 2017

DrigoCBP remember the situation is very different so what most guys who are already CBP officers experienced, we're not experiencing that, this COVID-19 s**t changed alot of things, until we can get back to a level of normalcy. My face is bushy, there are persons with their hair not groomed. The Bardershop on FLETC is still closed. While we as trainees interact with each other, FLETC staff have to maintain social distancing with us. So the Barnershop for now is a No, No.

Right now, Spanish is cut from the program at FLETC. You will do Spanish at your port. They're just trying to get people out and get the new sessions in.

Comment

• TsFost
              TsFost commented
              Editing a comment
              That's good info to know since I have to take Spanish.
          • Flboyace22
            Forum Member
            • Jan 2020

Is anyone supposed to start the academy July 25??

Comment

• V_AntCBP
              V_AntCBP commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm Jul 28... Supposedly....
          • Nupey02
            Forum Member
            • Apr 2020

DrigoCBP remember the situation is very different so what most guys who are already CBP officers experienced, we're not experiencing that, this COVID-19 s**t changed alot of things, until we can get back to a level of normalcy. My face is bushy, there are persons with their hair not groomed. The Bardershop on FLETC is still closed. While we as trainees interact with each other, FLETC staff have to maintain social distancing with us. So the Barnershop for now is a No, No.

Right now, Spanish is cut from the program at FLETC. You will do Spanish at your port. They're just trying to get people out and get the new sessions in. [/QUOTE]

@ Kevin1234 Ok bro. Thanks for the insight. I hope conditions change prior to me getting there. I EOD in a couple of weeks.
            Last edited by Nupey02; 06-11-2020, 08:18 PM.

Comment

• Buck_Macdonald
              Forum Member
              • Oct 2017

Just got my acceptance paper work in, I’m assuming the FGS is set for the end of the academy and the two attempts at it before then are just a gauge for it? I’m good on everything with the exception of sit and reach, never been that limber/or stretchy. I’d go to a yoga class but the damn virus has everything on lockdown...

Comment

• fonzi7979
                fonzi7979 commented
                Editing a comment
                Buck_Macdonald congratulations to you. May I ask what announcement are you in and what location have you requested or accepted? I was reading on this forum and it seems like the sit and reach is no longer a requirement at the academy. Keep us posted and good luck to you.

• spilker13
                spilker13 commented
                Editing a comment
                You take 3 FGS at academy. 3rd test is the one that counts. There is no sit and reach test. 220, pushups, 1.5 mile run.

• Kevin1234
                Kevin1234 commented
                Editing a comment
                no more sit and reach !!!

Just some advice on the FGS. To be really sure you're good on your FGS, try running your 220 in 45 secs, after about 10 Mins, do your 24 or more push ups in the 1 min, and then do your 1.5 Miles in 15 mins, about 15 mins after that.
            • Gixxerman
              Forum Member
              • Feb 2019

Would the CBP match a former Federal employee's pay that resigned from another agency?

Comment

• merlin436
                merlin436 commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe. Are we talking of a DHS agency and is that former pay within the range of the entry-level hiring you're looking at? If so, maybe. If not, probably not. Years ago, Obama killed off the FCIP...which pretty much mandated pay matching. Since those days, the agency doesn't try all that hard to match pay.

• straightaim
                straightaim commented
                Editing a comment
                They will attempt to match it by increasing your step within the same grade you qualified for. But if your salary was higher in your previous job than step 10 of the grade they offered you they won’t boost you to a higher grade. It also doesn’t matter if your previous agency was within DHS or not. That’s what they did with me.

• mike2010
                mike2010 commented
                Editing a comment
                YES, and NO. I'm a current Federal employee and they're matching my current grade (GS-07) but I will be a GS-09 before my EOD and it is very unlikely that they will bump me up to a GS-09.

• SpinyNorman83
                SpinyNorman83 commented
                Editing a comment
                It all depends, as I moved over from TSA, but lost approximately $7,000 by making the move. The most you can cap out as, is a GS-9 step 10 and I would make sure HR sets your pay correctly as I am still waiting on backpay that was supposed to have been fixed a month ago. I've been told after a year you can be bumped up to GS-11, but it will be interesting to see.
            • merlin436
              Forum Member
              • Mar 2005

https://www.govexec.com/workforce/20...t-week/166096/

About 15,000 Homeland Security Department employees will receive reduction-in-force notices next week, warning them of upcoming furloughs in July if Congress does not provide emergency funding.
              U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services will send the notices to about three-quarters of its employees starting on or around June 19, according to multiple employees informed about the process. The letters will come in the form of RIF notices despite the temporary nature of the furlough because they are the result of a budget shortfall and are set to last 30 days. If they go into effect, USCIS is expected to extend the furloughs in 30-day increments until it either receives an appropriation from Congress or it can collect additional money through a fee increase.

FWIW. the budget of OFO, like USCIS, is driven in large part by fee collection. In fact, the whole of OFO's overtime budget is funded from fees.

Comment

• V_AntCBP
                V_AntCBP commented
                Editing a comment
                That's scary news... Especially newbies coming on board soon... Thanks for sharing

• merlin436
                merlin436 commented
                Editing a comment
                A sign of our uncertain and troubled times.

Now...do I think that OFO is all that close presently to RIFing people...no. Could I see it on the horizon if the current traffic and funding issues continue unabated for years or get significantly worse?...maybe.

However, should it come to pass that hiring dries up, the agency starts to offer early-out incentives to potential retirees and/or the agency looks to move people between ports with voluntary or "voluntold" moves...be more wary. There are appropriately 8,000 CBPO jobs that are funded primarily through the fees we collect normally.

• ES90
                ES90 commented
                Editing a comment
                I could see a return to or at least a new focus on the customs side of our jobs before a RIF happens. Customs is a forgotten art and I'm willing to bet we're missing out on millions. Merlin I'm not sure where you're at, but at my POE if its not coming through cargo no one cares about customs.

• merlin436
                merlin436 commented
                Editing a comment
                ES90...I know. On the flip side, nobody in cargo cares all that much about immigration. Between the two, there's megabucks to be collected if it was made a priority of the agency. Beyond that, there's also a whole laundry list of things,...fees, fines and services that we really should charge for...but we don't...because the mindset and commitment isn't there to maximize revenue collection within OFO.
            • DenaliCBP
              Forum Member
              • Feb 2020

Anyone that has gotten the final offer lately to the Southern border that had incentives listed in the USAJOB job posting confirmed they are getting the incentive. Seeing the post a few pages back has me wondering how secure the bonus structure really is. I am a DH applicant looking at a few ports and would prefer a TX port but would go to Nogales for the 33% that was in my posting.

Thanks for all replies and good luck to all of us waiting for a poly appointment!

Comment

• merlin436
                merlin436 commented
                Editing a comment
                If I was betting, I could see the agency walking back from those "promised" incentive bonuses if things got rough enough.

• Nero714
                Nero714 commented
                Editing a comment
                I accepted my final offer for a southern port in az. I was told i dont qualify for the 33% incentive since in currently a federal employee. I was told the incentive was for new federal employess.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12272 users online. 75 members and 12197 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...