• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    allan93
    Forum Member

• allan93
    commented on 's reply
    Congrats ! Did they schedule you in NY ?
  • merlin436
    Forum Member

• merlin436
    commented on 's reply
    One, get the degree. Preferably in something related to law, medical, accounting, languages, computers or something else that sets you apart and gives you a both a hand-up and an alternative should the 1811 goal collapse on you. The degree is probably the most important single piece moving forward.

Two, take a job somewhere you want to live doing something you enjoy doing and you're successful at.
  • AllSourceGuy
    Forum Member

• AllSourceGuy
    commented on 's reply
    Merlin your right about that. Everyone generally does their own vetting(this is what i do btw), and if i had a way to CITP off the bat i wouldn't of asked about CPO. What do you think is a better way to become 1811 while i finish my degree?
  • merlin436
    Forum Member

• merlin436
    commented on 's reply
    Good luck. Especially if you think a Tier 5 CBP background is going to carry it's weight. Most other agencies will do their own vetting...and in the case of CBP 1811s in OPR...while it might help a bit...having graduated CITP will help more...or, at the least, having a kick-*** resume with some serious heavyweight agency connections.

As far as former CBPOs turned 1811s...yeah, it happens....sometimes. I wouldn't say they're mostly the cream of the crop and physical fitness beasts. I'd say they were fortuitous enough to come up through a port that provided meaningful, marketable experience and they were blessed with the opportunities to succeed and thrive. Not all ports offer that...
  • AllSourceGuy
    Forum Member

• AllSourceGuy
    commented on 's reply
    Ok ClearFuture you have a point, i think ill apply. I have held a Tier 5 for over 6 years and i think its a completive service position right ? so can only help to get hired as a 1811.
  • ClearFuture
    Forum Member

• ClearFuture
    commented on 's reply
    I disagree, I have spoke to a few 1895's who transitioned into 1811's. Granted, most these guys are the creme of the crop. They stay out of trouble and maintain top physical shape. Since you have to clear a Tier 5 with polygraph just to get the job as a CBPO, I've heard the hiring process for 1811's is much smoother within CBP or at least DHS, once you prove yourself as an outstanding CBPO for a couple years. As for the pay, SFO is on a special rate table which just recently updated to include the 2.2% GS increase. For a GS-9, the incentive is 4 annual payments of $17,896/year plus a starting salary of $71,587. This isn't including any overtime, holiday, or shift differential pay.
    ClearFuture
    Forum Member
    Last edited by ClearFuture; 01-04-2022, 09:00 PM.
  • merlin436
    Forum Member

• merlin436
    commented on 's reply
    It's a shorter process today than it used to be on the past. It used to routinely take 2+ years...and sometimes more.

Border Patrol typically moves faster...if that's your thing.
  • AllSourceGuy
    Forum Member

• AllSourceGuy
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks guys i think ill pass . and this process is really over a year long sometimes two?
  • merlin436
    Forum Member

• merlin436
    commented on 's reply
    I'd say if you want to be an 1811 you should pass on CBP and apply for 1811 jobs.
  • BlueLou
    Forum Member

• BlueLou
    commented on 's reply
    "may differ wildly from what was projected in the announcement."

Makes it so damn exciting.

[/end sarcasm]
  • AllSourceGuy
    Forum Member

• AllSourceGuy
    replied
    Lfreezy
    Forum Member
    Lfreezy Ok that makes sense. and from reading older comments. Looks like if a new posting comes out after your in the process you could request for the new locations in that posting ?

Leave a comment:

• Lfreezy
    Forum Member

• Lfreezy
    commented on 's reply
    Reality is the process is long and while you pick preferred locations going in, the locations you end up being offered (if you get an offer) may differ wildly from what was projected in the announcement.
  • JL05
    Forum Member

• JL05
    replied
    Has anyone (19-5) received any updates so far?

Leave a comment:

• AllSourceGuy
    Forum Member

• AllSourceGuy
    replied
    Sort of a two part question
    I see the new posting on USA JOBS. My question is would this be a smart choice to apply for the Gs9 level in San Francisco? i currently live in Tampa and would hate to move but i also need to get my foot into Federal LEO. is GS9 with the San Fran supplement sufficient for anyone that works there? thanks

BTW end goal is 1811 so not sure if i should even pursue CPO. thanks

Leave a comment:

• merlin436
    Forum Member

• merlin436
    commented on 's reply
    HR218 is more accurately LEOSA. Different law, different definition...Title 18.

Yes, CBPOs are covered under LEOSA.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5097 users online. 269 members and 4828 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X