Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have applied to CBP in the NY area, and i was wondering if anyone on here can give me an idea of what a typical day is like in JFK or Newark, and how long it takes before you can apply to jobs like canine for example. Also is working in CBP give me a better chance to join other Federal LEO jobs if I wanted to down the line?

Comment

• Pitey
      Pitey commented
      Editing a comment
      This is what I found about Newark on Delphifourms

"It’s a decent port. Actually seems to be getting better everyday. New management.
      AWS basically port-wide. Fixed 9 hr days. 5 on 2 off, 4 on 3 off.
      Primary: 0400x, 0800x, 1200x, 1500x, midnights
      standard airport teams (pau, siu, pp secondary, ge, at-cet, ttrt, etc). Minimum 6-7 years for a undesirable team with undesirable shift / tour.
      Cargo / Seaport you need 12yrs at least.
      solid flex options to break things up for primary officers.
      Newark covers a HUGE area. Personnel spread out through at least a dozen locations.
      OT is available pretty much year round. This is the “slow” time of year [like most poe’s]. Seems like most improvements from cbpo stand point are on how OT is distributed. It’s been fair as of lately.
      Basically if you want it.. it’s there before, after, and RDO’s. Management does a lot of last minute “your drafted, undrafted, drafted..” lol. Leaving the officer confused but that seems to be getting better with the new PD
      everything is improving though. Staffing shortages, morale, work-flow, quality of life. The future looks good for Newark. "

• rm2121
      rm2121 commented
      Editing a comment
      Pitey thank you very much

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      Canine is usually very competitive. Expect to work years before any opportunity there opens up.

How much working for CBP is a boost with regards to other federal LEO jobs is often debated. A minimum, it stops the maximum hiring age clock and counts towards minimum retirement years. Beyond that, I'd say that it really depends on the particulars of that federal LEO job and what in particular that agency is looking for at that particular hiring moment combined with what training and experience one gets from working CBP. Different ports have different offerings in terms of work and overall needs. Many federal jobs also tend to value different aspects at different times as they adjust hiring priorities to fill whatever voids they currently have. What gets a person hired one day might not even get a look at 6 months later as an agency moves to fill gaps.

• CBPO 19-03 annoucement (Dec 2018) for SFO

Completed written, oral interview, submitted background, medical, drug screen, physical. Only have the poly and waiting background clearance left.

I got a call today (was sleeping at time) so she left a voicemail. I will likely remove myself from the hiring process as I am already employed at a local LE agency that offers better benefits and same pay. Wanted to post it here to let my future CBPO's know where they're at in the process to give a basic idea. Good luck to you all!

Comment

• UPDATE:

CBPO 19-4

Applied: 1-31-2019

Test: 2-9-2019

Test results: 2-11-2019; Passed

BI Packet: turned in 2-28-2019

Medical: 3-07-2019 | Passed

SI: 3-13-2019

SI Results: 3-14-2019; Passed

Fitness: 3-19-2019 | Passed

3-18-2019: got an email “ case management reassigned due to changes in H.R. “

4-11-2019: Equip rejected | fixed correction turned in same day.

4-12-2019: Equip released to OPR.

Equip: green check mark.

5-31-2019: call from my O.P.R scheduled poly 6/17/19.

6/17/2019: polygraph taken | verbal pass. “ was told it needed to be reviewed by Q.C. Might need further testing”

6/18/2019: got a call from my polygraph examiner, was told I passed. Polygraph on cass green check.

Background: 7/22 received call from B.I left my city 7/26. Spoke to all my references and point of contacts.

8/22 met w / another b.i

Background : NOPA 3/12 provided all documents 3/25.

4/27 - NOPA letter signed and acknowledged.

CASS 75% as of 4/28

Pending:

Drug

Final offer.

Comment

• fonzi7979
        fonzi7979 commented
        Editing a comment
        Safranco2 thanks for sharing your progress and timeline with us on the forum. Just curious do you have take the PFT-1 test again since it’s been a year since you took. Good luck with the rest of the process.

• How long does it take for your medical to be cleared, I have taken the medical on 3/16 and requested more information on 3/26 regarding a elbow surgery I had within the year, went to the physician and cleared my post surgery and submitted the requested docs on 4/16 and been sitting on in progress since then and everything is canceled for the rest was supposed to have the SI last week but due to Covid it got canceled. Now waiting for Med Exam clearance and sitting on 25% in CASS it already feel a long process and what is going around us is not going to make it move forward anytime soon. Anyways Best of luck to all!!

Comment

• David1984
        David1984 commented
        Editing a comment
        GilE1788 for me was about 3 and half months after submitting my additional medical paperwork. My medical took unnecessary long. About 5 months all together

• StevenMal
        StevenMal commented
        Editing a comment
        Almost a year and my medical hasn’t cleared still waiting

• Originally posted by David1984 View Post
      GilE1788 for me was about 3 and half months after submitting my additional medical paperwork. My medical took unnecessary long. About 5 months all together
      Oh man I hope not to take that long, I mean the whole process it self as I am seeing from different folks here is taking on average 15 months well it kind of depends but I will be hopeful on it.

Comment

• corsair
        corsair commented
        Editing a comment
        I applied Jan 2019 and I haven't even been scheduled for the polygraph. I've had zero hold ups and scheduled all my appointments asap.

• David1984
        David1984 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea 15 months sounds about right. I applied November 2018 and last week got my final offer. Hate to say it but all you can do is wait especially with this pandemic going on is not going to help the process for all the people waiting.

• Originally posted by corsair View Post
      I applied Jan 2019 and I haven't even been scheduled for the polygraph. I've had zero hold ups and scheduled all my appointments asap.
      I applied for TSA at the same time and am only waiting for my background check to get cleared, submitted equip for both at the same time, once I get my background cleared for TSA it is only a matter of time to get on training camp, this is why am kind of worried comparing the status of each app. Have you called/sent emails regarding your status? What was the last memo they told you regarding your status?

Comment

• corsair
        corsair commented
        Editing a comment
        I emailed (2) different recruiters of which I was basically yelled at for inquiring from two different people as the one stopped answering me. They pulled my credit report about two months after my initial application which is flawless, I was approved for GS-7, I literally have the most boring background ever and here I am twirling my thumbs.'

Oh "this is within the normal range"
        Last edited by corsair; 04-28-2020, 02:17 PM.

• David1984
        David1984 commented
        Editing a comment
        GilE1788 I currently work for TSA the background doesn’t take very long for them. But as far as getting into “training camp” I doubt it. All the training department is closed at the airports due to the pandemic. You do a portion of training at the airport and then you get sent to FLTEC for 2 weeks. But as you may know FLTEC is closed right now. So it might be sometime man, sorry to say.

• I received a phone call just now regarding the current situation as well as them checking to see if i'm still interested. From what I gathered, academy dates wouldn't be until mid 2021. As always just got to keep an eye on my email until i'm contacted for the polygraph. It seems as if they will be ramping up everything in the next several weeks/coming months.

I was instructed for when I'm scheduled for my polygraph to inform the examiner of my change of address. Luckily i've been keeping a running word document of anything that has changed over the last year and a half.

@fonzi7979 @standtheman
      Last edited by corsair; 04-28-2020, 03:47 PM.
      CBPO 19-4 - Switched to 19-8

CASS APP-50%
      EQIP - Completed
      Medical Exam - Completed
      Structured Interview - Completed
      Fitness Test - Completed
      Polygraph - TBD

Comment

• fonzi7979
        fonzi7979 commented
        Editing a comment
        corsair you can say that again. I hope we all get scheduled after the national emergency is lifted. Would be nice to complete the polygraph and receive an offer before the end of this year and off to FLETC next summer. All we can do at this point in time is just wait and stay positive.

• Turboboigti
        Turboboigti commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here 19-2 NJ,NY got a call to see if i am still active.

• Redwings1993
        Redwings1993 commented
        Editing a comment
        Applied back in August 2017. VRA 17-10. Just be patient people! Pursue other things in the mean time.

• RB7744
        RB7744 commented
        Editing a comment
        Im in same boat as you too corsair weve talked, just one announcement after you 0 holdups credit prestine. We should have our own thread with those other guys lolol

• My story...

Applied back in 2018 Aug during CBPO Hiring Expo. Just got the call last Friday and have my 3 requests. They took my 3rd selection. I EOD on Nov 23rd - Dec 9th, OBT begins on Dec 10th, graduation in April 20th 2020. Anyone here got the same thing like mine for FLETC’s date?

Comment

• fonzi7979
        fonzi7979 commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats thanks for sharing your story with all of us. There are a lot of us still waiting to be scheduled for the polygraph exam. I guess there no rhyme or reason as to any timeline.

• Manonfire6666
        Manonfire6666 commented
        Editing a comment
        Which port did you get?

• Jackpot40
        Jackpot40 commented
        Editing a comment
        I EOD a week before you so Im sure ill see you there. What port are you going to?

• Originally posted by standtheman View Post
      corsair. i also received phone call this morning as well. he didn`t mention any future activities. he just asked me if i still interesting about the position. and i asnwered yes.
      congrates

Comment

• Originally posted by David1984 View Post
        Yea 15 months sounds about right. I applied November 2018 and last week got my final offer. Hate to say it but all you can do is wait especially with this pandemic going on is not going to help the process for all the people waiting.
        Congrats

Comment

• Does CBP ask what other law enforcement agencies you’ve applied to at any point like the local police do?

Comment

• Rubicon
            Rubicon commented
            Editing a comment
            Not for me. Waiting for BI adjudication now. They only cared about places where you've actually worked.

• cstephensiv
            cstephensiv commented
            Editing a comment
            Showtime0811 They only asked me during the Poly if I had taken previous Poly's. I would assume they ask that to see if you have applied at other agencies

• Originally posted by Jackpot40 View Post
          I EOD a week before you so Im sure ill see you there. What port are you going to?
          Washington DC

Comment

• Originally posted by Manonfire6666 View Post
            Which port did you get?
            Washington DC

Comment

• Hoping for JFK
              SI completed : June 10, 2019
              WAiting on the poly and it seems like the wait is gonna be even longer than expected now !

Comment

• Originally posted by StevenMal View Post
                Almost a year and my medical hasn’t cleared still waiting
                Hang in there my medical finally cleared last week after 8 months of waiting and 2 follow-ups...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5182 users online. 332 members and 4850 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X