Clear All

• ?? I’m confused

Comment

• Is CBP 6c covered? I know it says Enhanced coverage? can someone explain

Comment

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        The last of the truly 6C covered people were hired in the early 80's. Few are left who are covered under CSRS 6C retirement anymore.

What followed was FERS 12D retirement. Anyone hired as a CBPO today will have 12D retirement coverage. Anyone hired today as an "LEO" within any other federal position will have the same identical retirement.

CBPO Enhanced Coverage largely refers to the fact that CBPOs hired before the implementation of 12D coverage with OFO, roughly July of 2008, have a blended retirement and, as such, have certain enhancements not found under standard 6C/12D retirements...like no mandatory retirement age.

Now additionally, CBPOs were added to the 6C/12D retirement roles as a positional class...and not defined as "LEOs" under Title 5 regulations...and that brings with it several disadvantages and advantages that the usual 6C/12D "LEO" doesn't face...like the lack of GL pay for new hires or the fact that since CBPOs are defined as a family as 6C/12D eligible, CBPOs and subsequent scion positions are eligible for that retirement regardless of what they actually do...unlike normal "LEO" positions that need to be performing qualifying "LEO" duties under Title 5 to retain their coverage.

There are several other mostly minor differences between standard CBPO retirement, enhanced CBPO retirement and standard 6C/12D retirement but the gist is that for current hires it is virtually identical to any other 12D retirement.

• logic305
        logic305 commented
        Editing a comment
        Is it transferable to any other LE agency that’s 6c/12D covered?

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        For a new hire, yes. You lose the "enhancements" like the aforementioned positional qualification and pick up with standard "LEO" defined qualifications.

"Legacy" hires would lose more, like no mandated retirement. They could still do it though.

• Message deleted
      Last edited by CBPOFO23; 04-05-2020, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• TsFost
        TsFost commented
        Editing a comment
        CBPOFO23 you're rejecting your offer???

• V_AntCBP
        V_AntCBP commented
        Editing a comment
        TsFost the dude is afraid of Corona. He will reject offer and wait until Corona over then reapply...

• CBPOFO23
        CBPOFO23 commented
        Editing a comment
        Message deleted
        Last edited by CBPOFO23; 04-05-2020, 04:02 PM.

• SheepDogg
        SheepDogg commented
        Editing a comment
        CBPOFO23 Instead of rejecting your offer, just ask to see if you can postpone your start date. Or provide them with your situation, see what options you have. What ever you decide good luck, and I hope things get better for your wife.

• Just Got the Call EOD JFK OCT 7 2020 , I opt in for earlier EOD Date since i will be jobless this June.
      I didn't want to waste her time to have her go through the whole list since i only want JFK or Apply at different time when available.

Here's my Timeline if anyone interested.
      20-3
      Applied 12/28/19 ✅

Entrance Exam 12/30/19 ✅

Notice of Results 1/3/20 ✅

SI 1/14/2020 ✅

Notice of Results 1/15/20 ✅

Medical 01/16/2020 ✅ Passed 01/22/2020

PFT 01/31/2020 ✅

Polygraph ✅ 03/20/2020 (Did not get a call or email saying i pass but Cass turned Green after a week)

BI (Did not meet with BI yet)

FingerPrint 04/03/20 (I did my Fingerprint at SI not sure why i need to do it again)

Drug Test 04/03/20

Final Call ✅ 04/04/20 GOT THE CALL!! EOD Oct 7 2020
      Last edited by simonxu2; 04-03-2020, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• Bay recruit
        Bay recruit commented
        Editing a comment
        simonxu2 thanks for that! Are you VRA and we’re you Gs-9?

• StevenMal
        StevenMal commented
        Editing a comment
        JL85 I applied for El Paso Tx

• bmak18
        bmak18 commented
        Editing a comment
        A final offer within 4 months? Damn that’s awesome man. I passed everything pretty quickly, within 2 months of hiring, now just waiting for the poly/drug.

• xknuckles
        xknuckles commented
        Editing a comment
        What the f...I’m salty but happy for you. 19-3 and haven’t even heard a peep. Reapplied to GS9 and still nothing.

• Well I missed my call this morning. Hopefully they will call back Monday. It has beeen a long road but finally coming to an end

Comment

• Just got the call. 19-1 at JFK. Start in November.

Comment

• fonzi7979
          fonzi7979 commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats and good luck I hope to see everyone at JFK one day.

• SonicDust187
          SonicDust187 commented
          Editing a comment
          I hope so.

• What carries over from CBP process to Border Patrol Application? I am 50% with CBP - app, written test, Pt test, medical, finger prints, eQip...

Comment

• TsFost
          TsFost commented
          Editing a comment
          No i applied GL9 for BPA so i got to skip it. From what I've read there are no math portions but there is a language understanding section. The only difference in the PFT1 is that you do more pushups, more situps, and the step test is now a 14" step vs the cbpo 12". Cadence and time stay the same.

• Chris Martin
          Chris Martin commented
          Editing a comment
          They will offer Border patrol first. I got my offer a month before CBP

• PA_Ed
          PA_Ed commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you both

Chris, what was the written exam for BPA like? More difficult or easier than CBP’s? Thank you

• straightaim
          straightaim commented
          Editing a comment
          I took written test for both. BP test is much easier. My CBP final job offer fame first, and BP called me next day. So it could be different for everyone. The process can vary for each applicant.

• New here to forum applied in February’s listing through medical PFT1 equip submitted all green except pending BI Poly and drug test. So, from the sounds of it this is where you all bogged down and began the waiting game for a long time right?

Comment

• Chris Martin
          Chris Martin commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m roughly 13 months from start to finish. Which is better than a lot of others.

• MDHayes
          MDHayes commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah 13 months isn’t bad at all compared to others I’ve seen in here! The good thing is I’ve got a good federal job already I’m just looking at CBP for better locations than my current agency offers. Plus I think it’s a better opportunity for me and my career.

• Couple questions on pay I wasnt able to find answers on. In the academy do you make your hired Gs level or all start at GS5? I was offered GS9. And I assume this is base GS whatever step 1.

Second question, how does OT work for somewhere like Newark? Is it LEAP or OT like another job ie depending on how many hours translates to how much you take home? Anyone know Newarks schedule? Thanks!

Comment

• eikichi10
          eikichi10 commented
          Editing a comment
          You start at whatever GS they offered you when you're at Academy.
          OT is double rate. Take your annual salary, divide it by 26 and then by 80 to get the amount per hour. Multiply that hour rate by two to get the OT rate.

• nonotnow
          nonotnow commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome very helpful. Thank you!

• boconnor
          boconnor commented
          Editing a comment
          CBP does not make leap. So whatever overtime you make is double time

• nonotnow
          nonotnow commented
          Editing a comment
          Got it. Thank you. If anyone knows the typical work schedule of Newark that would be great.

• Hello,

By any chance does anyone know if side zip boots are okay for training and work with CBP? I just got mine in the mail even though I don't EOD until July, but I know a few places that don't allow them for whatever reason.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

• TsFost
          TsFost commented
          Editing a comment
          They are fine. Everyone at the port I'm at wears side zip, and i'm currently wearing 5.11s with an 8" side zip. Just keep them cleaned and shined.

• MattCBP
          MattCBP commented
          Editing a comment
          TsFost hey brother, where did you order your boots from ? I want to get mine early in advance so i can break them bad boys in.

• TsFost
          TsFost commented
          Editing a comment
          I bought my boots at a place here called Greens Military and Police.

• nonotnow this is what I found about Newark on Delphifourms

It’s a decent port. Actually seems to be getting better everyday. New management.

AWS basically port-wide. Fixed 9 hr days. 5 on 2 off, 4 on 3 off.

Primary: 0400x, 0800x, 1200x, 1500x, midnights

standard airport teams (pau, siu, pp secondary, ge, at-cet, ttrt, etc). Minimum 6-7 years for a undesirable team with undesirable shift / tour.

Cargo / Seaport you need 12yrs at least.

solid flex options to break things up for primary officers.

Newark covers a HUGE area. Personnel spread out through at least a dozen locations.

OT is available pretty much year round. This is the “slow” time of year [like most poe’s]. Seems like most improvements from cbpo stand point are on how OT is distributed. It’s been fair as of lately.

Basically if you want it.. it’s there before, after, and RDO’s. Management does a lot of last minute “your drafted, undrafted, drafted..” lol. Leaving the officer confused but that seems to be getting better with the new PD

everything is improving though. Staffing shortages, morale, work-flow, quality of life. The future looks good for Newark. "

Comment

• nonotnow
          nonotnow commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome thats great info. Some of it is over my head but I think I get the jist of it. I'll have to take a look of that forum, I've heard of it. I work with CBP sometimes with my job doing operations, just havent seen them in a while to ask them specifics.

Not sure if you know this but it's 2 to 4 years of stamping passports first at an airport right? I'm fine with that but just want to know.

• nonotnow
          nonotnow commented
          Editing a comment
          Just read about the "table" incident. Wow, I hope they try some crap like that on me if I show up. They would have had a very bad day.

• I eod June 8th at EWR...

Comment

• nonotnow
          nonotnow commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, at the academy I presume?

• redfish112
          redfish112 commented
          Editing a comment
          nonotnow Academy happens usually 2 weeks after you EOD. You do pre-academy at your port before the academy. However, pre-academy could be longer depending on Corona Virus.

• nonotnow
          nonotnow commented
          Editing a comment
          You the man. Thank you.

• corsair
          corsair commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you have your timeline for EWR or what announcement you applied for. I'm originally 19-4 and still waiting for the poly.

• How does the location incentive pay work? 33% above base+locality for the first 3 years? Overtime eligible?
        Dutchess County Deputy Sheriff

Written: Nov. 17th, 2007. Scored ~80. First ever civil service taken. Ranked 4xx. Hiring freeze in effect.

New York State Police

Written: Jan. 19th, 2008. Scored an 80.xx. Ranked 11,xxx.

Comment

• merlin436
          merlin436 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's my understanding of incentive pay.

Overtime, if and when it's available, typically becomes a meaningful option once a person starts to graduate out of the various post-academy training modules.

• OKCsparrow
          OKCsparrow commented
          Editing a comment
          I read it was 33% of your base pay. Not 33% of base+locality. Also, that's 33% of the base for the pay you enter on duty at. So if you enter as a GS 5, it's 33% of the GS 5 base pay for 3 years. You'll still get the yearly pay rank increases but it won't be 33 of GS 5, then 33 of GS7, then 33 of GS 9. It'll be 33% of GS 5 all 3 years. Unless you EOD as a GS 7 or GS9.

So base + 33% of your base + locality. But the 33% of your base won't change for the 3 years.

• VeeDubs86
          VeeDubs86 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah nice. I'm a 20-4 Direct Hire GS-9 so thatd be a nice bit of change that would go further in AZ than NY lol.

• Johnny4x4
          Johnny4x4 commented
          Editing a comment
          It is, 33% of your base+locality%. So, if you've come in at GS-7, you add your grade X your locality, then X your 33% of your grade and locality for your total salary. If you go to OPM you'll see the totaled grades with the locality.

GS-7 Step 1 = $37,301.00 + San Francisco locality (41%) $15,293.41 = $52,594.41+ 33% (incentive) $17,356.15‬....your total first-year salary would be $69,950.56. This does not include Overtime, Night differential, Sunday Grade or Holiday grade...which as a new employee...you WILL work.‬

• Anybody have any info on what’s happening with eod’s and academy dates. Are eods being pushed back? I guess academy dates are being pushed back.

Comment

• Hey guys sorry if this has been asked already. I applied 20-6 and moving along in the process (poly still left). I chose Boston as my preferred location since I live close and it’s listed as a critical hiring need. When I finish the process what are the chances Boston is still available? Does anyone know if Boston is desperate for manpower? Thanks.

Comment

• tx_forever
          tx_forever commented
          Editing a comment
          Are you 50% on CASS? I applied to 20-5, passed my PFT on 3/13 and it still hasn't updated.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4295 users online. 205 members and 4090 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X