Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here to forum applied in February’s listing through medical PFT1 equip submitted all green except pending BI Poly and drug test. So, from the sounds of it this is where you all bogged down and began the waiting game for a long time right?

Comment

• Chris Martin
      Chris Martin commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m roughly 13 months from start to finish. Which is better than a lot of others.

• MDHayes
      MDHayes commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah 13 months isn’t bad at all compared to others I’ve seen in here! The good thing is I’ve got a good federal job already I’m just looking at CBP for better locations than my current agency offers. Plus I think it’s a better opportunity for me and my career.

• Couple questions on pay I wasnt able to find answers on. In the academy do you make your hired Gs level or all start at GS5? I was offered GS9. And I assume this is base GS whatever step 1.

Second question, how does OT work for somewhere like Newark? Is it LEAP or OT like another job ie depending on how many hours translates to how much you take home? Anyone know Newarks schedule? Thanks!

Comment

• eikichi10
      eikichi10 commented
      Editing a comment
      You start at whatever GS they offered you when you're at Academy.
      OT is double rate. Take your annual salary, divide it by 26 and then by 80 to get the amount per hour. Multiply that hour rate by two to get the OT rate.

• nonotnow
      nonotnow commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome very helpful. Thank you!

• boconnor
      boconnor commented
      Editing a comment
      CBP does not make leap. So whatever overtime you make is double time

• nonotnow
      nonotnow commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it. Thank you. If anyone knows the typical work schedule of Newark that would be great.

• Hello,

By any chance does anyone know if side zip boots are okay for training and work with CBP? I just got mine in the mail even though I don't EOD until July, but I know a few places that don't allow them for whatever reason.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

• TsFost
      TsFost commented
      Editing a comment
      They are fine. Everyone at the port I'm at wears side zip, and i'm currently wearing 5.11s with an 8" side zip. Just keep them cleaned and shined.

• MattCBP
      MattCBP commented
      Editing a comment
      TsFost hey brother, where did you order your boots from ? I want to get mine early in advance so i can break them bad boys in.

• TsFost
      TsFost commented
      Editing a comment
      I bought my boots at a place here called Greens Military and Police.

• nonotnow this is what I found about Newark on Delphifourms

It’s a decent port. Actually seems to be getting better everyday. New management.

AWS basically port-wide. Fixed 9 hr days. 5 on 2 off, 4 on 3 off.

Primary: 0400x, 0800x, 1200x, 1500x, midnights

standard airport teams (pau, siu, pp secondary, ge, at-cet, ttrt, etc). Minimum 6-7 years for a undesirable team with undesirable shift / tour.

Cargo / Seaport you need 12yrs at least.

solid flex options to break things up for primary officers.

Newark covers a HUGE area. Personnel spread out through at least a dozen locations.

OT is available pretty much year round. This is the “slow” time of year [like most poe’s]. Seems like most improvements from cbpo stand point are on how OT is distributed. It’s been fair as of lately.

Basically if you want it.. it’s there before, after, and RDO’s. Management does a lot of last minute “your drafted, undrafted, drafted..” lol. Leaving the officer confused but that seems to be getting better with the new PD

everything is improving though. Staffing shortages, morale, work-flow, quality of life. The future looks good for Newark. "

Comment

• nonotnow
      nonotnow commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome thats great info. Some of it is over my head but I think I get the jist of it. I'll have to take a look of that forum, I've heard of it. I work with CBP sometimes with my job doing operations, just havent seen them in a while to ask them specifics.

Not sure if you know this but it's 2 to 4 years of stamping passports first at an airport right? I'm fine with that but just want to know.

• nonotnow
      nonotnow commented
      Editing a comment
      Just read about the "table" incident. Wow, I hope they try some crap like that on me if I show up. They would have had a very bad day.

• I eod June 8th at EWR...

Comment

• nonotnow
      nonotnow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, at the academy I presume?

• redfish112
      redfish112 commented
      Editing a comment
      nonotnow Academy happens usually 2 weeks after you EOD. You do pre-academy at your port before the academy. However, pre-academy could be longer depending on Corona Virus.

• nonotnow
      nonotnow commented
      Editing a comment
      You the man. Thank you.

• corsair
      corsair commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you have your timeline for EWR or what announcement you applied for. I'm originally 19-4 and still waiting for the poly.

• How does the location incentive pay work? 33% above base+locality for the first 3 years? Overtime eligible?
    Dutchess County Deputy Sheriff

Written: Nov. 17th, 2007. Scored ~80. First ever civil service taken. Ranked 4xx. Hiring freeze in effect.

New York State Police

Written: Jan. 19th, 2008. Scored an 80.xx. Ranked 11,xxx.

Comment

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's my understanding of incentive pay.

Overtime, if and when it's available, typically becomes a meaningful option once a person starts to graduate out of the various post-academy training modules.

• OKCsparrow
      OKCsparrow commented
      Editing a comment
      I read it was 33% of your base pay. Not 33% of base+locality. Also, that's 33% of the base for the pay you enter on duty at. So if you enter as a GS 5, it's 33% of the GS 5 base pay for 3 years. You'll still get the yearly pay rank increases but it won't be 33 of GS 5, then 33 of GS7, then 33 of GS 9. It'll be 33% of GS 5 all 3 years. Unless you EOD as a GS 7 or GS9.

So base + 33% of your base + locality. But the 33% of your base won't change for the 3 years.

• VeeDubs86
      VeeDubs86 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah nice. I'm a 20-4 Direct Hire GS-9 so thatd be a nice bit of change that would go further in AZ than NY lol.

• Johnny4x4
      Johnny4x4 commented
      Editing a comment
      It is, 33% of your base+locality%. So, if you've come in at GS-7, you add your grade X your locality, then X your 33% of your grade and locality for your total salary. If you go to OPM you'll see the totaled grades with the locality.

GS-7 Step 1 = $37,301.00 + San Francisco locality (41%) $15,293.41 = $52,594.41+ 33% (incentive) $17,356.15‬....your total first-year salary would be $69,950.56. This does not include Overtime, Night differential, Sunday Grade or Holiday grade...which as a new employee...you WILL work.‬

• Anybody have any info on what’s happening with eod’s and academy dates. Are eods being pushed back? I guess academy dates are being pushed back.

Comment

• Hey guys sorry if this has been asked already. I applied 20-6 and moving along in the process (poly still left). I chose Boston as my preferred location since I live close and it’s listed as a critical hiring need. When I finish the process what are the chances Boston is still available? Does anyone know if Boston is desperate for manpower? Thanks.

Comment

• tx_forever
      tx_forever commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you 50% on CASS? I applied to 20-5, passed my PFT on 3/13 and it still hasn't updated.

• I got the call!!!

San Francisco

EOD 10/3
    FLETC- 10/23

Comment

• 813Deputy2b
      813Deputy2b commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats man! Go get em!!!!

• Chris Martin
      Chris Martin commented
      Editing a comment
      I go to FLETC 10/23 as well.

• thelonelybum
      thelonelybum commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll see you guys there, I was originally same EOD and academy dates but they pushed me up since federal already? not sure how that works but my academy date is 10/3

• Jackpot40
      Jackpot40 commented
      Editing a comment
      We will be at the academy together I EOD a week after you, and I'm also headed to San Fran!!!

• Is there anyone here that's on the southern border of California? If so how is cost of living? I need ideas before I pick a location for my final offer.

Comment

• JL85
      JL85 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m still in the process and this is getting ahead of myself but I chose Southern California and if all goes well with my process Im thinking of going to AZ or TX because the COL is more manageable there than SD.

• Do you share your room or do you have your own room at FLETC? Been to a different fletc and I had a roommate.

Comment

• Talonderiel
      Talonderiel commented
      Editing a comment
      nonotnow it depends on where they put you, building wise. The Rat houses (or Ghetto barracks) are one person to a room and 2 rooms share a common bathroom between them.

Building 98 was still single occupancy when I left, due to COVID shutdown, but the Taj was being set up for double occupants per room.

Hotels in town were mostly individuals to a room, though there were stories of two but I can confirm that.

Who knows once things start up again. We had 3 weeks left and I anticipate we, and most classes returning, will be working a ton of days straight to get their schedule back online.

After the hurricane shutdowns last year, there were classes that went 21 and 28 days straight before their first off day. Making that OT before even getting to their ports!

• nonotnow
      nonotnow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the insight. Wow skipping weekends to catch up, they ain't playing!

• 2AB57357-FE01-4900-8F64-03884069FF3C.jpeg

Comment

• ES90
      ES90 commented
      Editing a comment
      That info appears to be from BP and may not be applicable to OFO.

• TsFost
      TsFost commented
      Editing a comment
      I got an email like that though a few days before I EOD'd. Honestly can't find the email now but it said the same thing. This is my 2nd week of pre-academy so I'll let you all know what happens at the end of the normal pre-academy.

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      They just eliminated admin leave for working CBPOs on the northern and southern border. I wonder if they'll walk that leave back for new hires awaiting academy dates?

https://www.nteu.org/media-center/ne...4/07/cbpletter

• TsFost
      TsFost commented
      Editing a comment
      merlin436 guess we'll find out as the days go on. Since currently it says northern and southern border ports it may still be going for those in the airports.

• Hi All 19-11:

Still @ 50% waiting on Poly, Drug and BI. Going on 6months from SI, 7 months from NOR. I’ll be reaching out to my recruiter at the end of this month to see if they can give any more update on Poly scheduling.

Comment

• corsair
      corsair commented
      Editing a comment
      Ive been waiting over a year since receiving my SI results - I was told my time frame is within the "normal" range. Maybe you'll have better luck.
      Last edited by corsair; 04-07-2020, 11:35 AM.

• Originally posted by corsair View Post
    Do you have your timeline for EWR or what announcement you applied for. I'm originally 19-4 and still waiting for the poly.

Comment

• Originally posted by corsair View Post
      I’m 19-2. I applied Nov 2018.

09/22/2016

•CBP used my previous medical examination

11/28/2018

•CBP Fitness examination

11/29/2018

•CBP structured interview

4/19/2019

•CBP Polygraph examination

7/3/2019

•Finger print card received by cbp

Comment

• fonzi7979
        fonzi7979 commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats Ed1990 I’m in 19-2 for JFK still waiting for polygraph to be scheduled. I guess the govt shutdown in 2018 created a back log.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5179 users online. 312 members and 4867 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X