Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QUESTION for CURRENT CBPO's or recently retired/departed, especially recently appointed CBPO's that came from prior law-enforcement as a Police Officer or Trooper or Fed LE.

Why did you make the switch and do you regret it? Do you miss being a local or state officer? I think many people love the obvious 6(c) benefits of being 20 years and done depending on age and etc, but anything else?

Any info regarding the Chicago area/port would be helpful as well... And yes, I've searched this thread already for answers, so no sarcasm, if you feel like being helpful, please do!

I've also read that CBPO's are becoming more active in doing things outside of ports in large areas like Chicago and other big cities, what are some other things that are available to CBPO's currently and potentially in the future other than checking passports and other regulatory enforcement at the airport and etc?

Comment

• scotty_appleton814
      scotty_appleton814 commented
      Editing a comment
      I've asked around for info about the Chicago area and I've gotten crickets here. Good luck. You find anything out, you let me know too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll throw in my two cents...

IMO, Most former State/Local LEOs I've known who jump ship to OFO do it for location, money or greater job stability. They tend to break down into older people who "wake up", find themselves scarred, bruised. married, parents, etc. and who look around for a more stable, less dangerous, more family oriented job. Then there are younger folk who see the potential of 6 figure pay as the driving reason to jump out of some low paying agency in some low paying region of the US.

I'd say virtually all of them miss their old jobs...on one level or another.

As far as OFO moving more outside of traditional ports and picking up some more traditional LE functions...yeah...I'd say there is truth to that. Baby steps apply in many places and what ultimately is available will be highly port and location specific.

The bread and butter of OFO will always be "checking passports" and administrative/regulatory enforcement. That's just the nature of the beast.
      Last edited by merlin436; 12-21-2019, 07:06 AM.

• Anyone else apply for the CBP Technician job? I know its not exactly the most glorious job but at this point I think anything would be great to get a foot in the door. I applied a few hours ago and just completed all the online tests.
    CBPO 19-4 - Switched to 19-8

CASS APP-50%
    EQIP - Completed
    Medical Exam - Completed
    Structured Interview - Completed
    Fitness Test - Completed
    Polygraph - TBD

Comment

• fonzi7979
      fonzi7979 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey that’s a good idea get your door in the door hopefully the other will follow shortly.

• corsair
      corsair commented
      Editing a comment
      I also just took the online assessment for the IRS Special Agent - hopefully I did well enough to move onto the testing center assessment.

• Hey guys, guess CASS glitch is fixed. Went from in process to pending back to in process this morning. Hopefully means I will finally get my polygraph (19-3)

Comment

• Hi I'm new here VRA 20-1 started oct 22 already at 50% BI went from in process to pending. Anyone else have the same issue?

Comment

• David1984
        David1984 commented
        Editing a comment
        As of today it went back to normal now it says in progress again. For a couple of days it said pending.

• Ok maybe mine would be fix later thanks

Comment

• Can somebody share their experience during the academy, what it was like and how long it was.
        Thanks.

Comment

• Talonderiel
          Talonderiel commented
          Editing a comment
          marmacias, I'm currently in week 3 of the Academy..... It's a very light mix of military/law enforcement academy style yelling and marching the first week.

Outside of that, it's a firehouse of classes and information. 8 academic tests, 3 fitness tests, and a plethora of practical exercises. Start working out now, they are serious about the fitness standards (24 push ups in 1 minute w/ good form or they don't count them; 220 yrd dash in 45 secs or less; 1.5 mile run in under 15:00 minutes).

I'll check this again if you have any more questions. Be sure to use the @ sign next to my name so it notifies me you responded or just direct message me.

• My BI on CASS says pending

Comment

• Nousername1
          Nousername1 commented
          Editing a comment
          My BI also says pending. Over a year since last meeting with investigator.

• TsFost
          TsFost commented
          Editing a comment
          still pending here lol

• Finally got The Call. LAX EOD april 30th. Flect may 15th. Anyone else in the same boat? Anyone know how big the classes are? I've seen some people with LAX that are going a couple of weeks before me. Anyone going to the same time as iam ?

Comment

• fonzi7979
          fonzi7979 commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats to you. What announcement are you in?

• Beaueeeazy
          Beaueeeazy commented
          Editing a comment
          I applied for multiple announcements and dont really remember they were between 18.7 and 19.3 something like that

• SheepDogg
          SheepDogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Going to LAX. EOD is April 28th, Academy is May 13th

• Finally had a slow night at the Academy.... I'm currently in Week 3. Start working out now! That's the biggest bear here. It's pretty regular that classes have over 50% fail the first 2 fitness tests (there are 3 total) and I have yet to hear of a class that has graduated with less than a 10% loss due to fitness alone. Even the senior classes are saying that's what they've seen the whole time they've been here.

Right now, no one that I know of is doubled in rooms. That scare ended, for now, thankfully. I'm in the crack houses and loving it! Central to everything for my class.

HOWEVER, CBP is planning on ratcheting from ~1,000 students on deck right now to over 3,000 by summer. The Supervisors are freaking out about how it is going to work. It's a struggle, do-able at the moment, to hit the chow halls and the locker rooms with how many are on deck now..... I can't image what 3,000 CBP plus everyone else will look like.

Hit me with your questions and I"ll try to respond as I can.
        CBPO 15-6 **3 yr recall w/ Military***
        Eqip: done
        PFT1: 11/08/2018
        Medical: 10/30/2018
        SI: 12/11/2018
        Poly: 4/15/2019
        Poly 2: 5/22/2019
        Poly 2 Check: 5/30/2019
        Drug Screen: 06/05/2019
        BI (initial email): 06/10/2019
        BI Meet: 06/24/2019
        PFT2: 06/26/2019
        Final Call: 07/08/2019 **turned down for GS9**

CBPO 19-9
        Referred: 07/03/2019
        Eqip / Medical / SI / Poly check: 07/09/2019
        PFT1 / Drug Test check: 07/18/2019
        BI check: 10/15/2019
        Final Call: 08/30/2019 (Gs9 SEA-TAC)
        EOD: 11/15/2019

Comment

• collapse
          collapse commented
          Editing a comment
          V_AntCBP you take the FGS 3 times, the last one is the 1 that counts, but don't think you can just wing the 1st 2 or quit, they want to see where you are physically and what you need to work on. 220 dash, push ups, 1.5 run in that order each time.

• Talonderiel
          Talonderiel commented
          Editing a comment
          collapse , thank you for posting the answers as asked! Mike_lowrey, V_AntCBP, thelonelybum, @NoSlack88, @aztecqueen.

The only thing I'll add to what collapse has already posted is that all blocks of training are broken down into 2 hour blocks. So you have 4 blocks a day. Your lunch hour and everything after 1630 is your time. So plenty of time to iron uniforms, polish boots and study/workout from 1630 - 0730.

@NoSlack88, that depends on your POE and rather they want to start a post-academy right away or not.

@aztecqueen , a few of the mat rooms have stand up bags and hanging bags. none in the weight rooms. The outside PT area has sleighs and stuff, but not sure how that works. It's rained the last 4 days, so everything is puddles.

• Gdelgado0220
          Gdelgado0220 commented
          Editing a comment
          Senior class here currently on my last week of training FINALLY. All the answers are pretty spot on. The academic portion isn’t difficult if you put the time in and study. And from I’ve seen most ports are pretty chill about approving annual time off right after the academy you just have to reach out to your supervisor

• EE626619
          EE626619 commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you start working out since day one of arriving at the facility?

• My progress remains @ 50% and the polygraph/BI are still pending - I hope this is a good sign and a step in the right direction
        Attached Files
        Last edited by PA_Ed; 12-18-2019, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• Jamesv90
          Jamesv90 commented
          Editing a comment
          Have you already taken the polygraph? My app was the same except i went back down to 38% because my Eqip went from Blue to white. Its been about 3 weeks since I've taken the polygraph and no word yet.

• PA_Ed
          PA_Ed commented
          Editing a comment
          I have not, I am awaiting a polygraph invite Jamesv90
          Last edited by PA_Ed; 12-19-2019, 09:10 PM.

• Thanks for the info on the academy... Nice to hear, done with e erutgibg waiting on drug test and the call, just cleared BI after 8 Months

Comment

• What's the Pending mean, versus in progress?

Comment

• Thatoneguyoh
            Thatoneguyoh commented
            Editing a comment
            Not really much, if nothing

• fonzi7979
            fonzi7979 commented
            Editing a comment
            I don’t know what it means but like to inform that my CASS app for Background went Blue and back in progress. Hopefully the polygraph gets scheduled soon but seems like Northeast is so back logged from what I can see while reading through the forum lately.

• Deleted comment
          Last edited by Yvanross11; 12-19-2019, 06:58 PM. Reason: Delete

Comment

• 19-9 here... Just received scheduling notice that my poly will be next month. My SI was in July, medical cleared in August.

Comment

• fonzi7979
              fonzi7979 commented
              Editing a comment
              Congrats your moving along quickly.

• V_AntCBP
              V_AntCBP commented
              Editing a comment
              Congrats Rubicon nicely moved. Are you a vet or something?

• zTiger
              zTiger commented
              Editing a comment
              Im 19-9 too same stats hopefully ill get one too, congrats on that luck! Whats your location?

• Rubicon
              Rubicon commented
              Editing a comment
              V_AntCBP nope, just an average guy. I read in another post that FLETC is scrambling to get ready for a heavier student volume, so perhaps this is good news for all of us waiting.
              zTiger northern Delaware. Hope you hear back soon!

• 18-8, 2 apps back on cass. background back to in progress.. And the wait continues....wohoo
            Last edited by V_AntCBP; 12-19-2019, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• antoniojeff808
              antoniojeff808 commented
              Editing a comment
              Roger dodger...
              Probably thas why u have 2 apps showing but different organizations I'm assuming. Coz i only have 2 apps for OFO.

• V_AntCBP
              V_AntCBP commented
              Editing a comment
              Thought we are not allowed to have 2 cbpo apps no more, only 1 allowed. They took my 19-2 off saying they wanted to streamline the process or whatever but they still honor the locations on 19-2 I applied. How do you have 2 cbpo apps? antoniojeff808 what are they? Vra, DH?
              Last edited by V_AntCBP; 12-19-2019, 09:56 PM.

• antoniojeff808
              antoniojeff808 commented
              Editing a comment
              I do have both cbpo. First one was a direct hire, at Otay Mesa. then the recent one is a regular hire, LAX, which i applied for other than SWB. They offered me LAX, which i chose

• V_AntCBP
              V_AntCBP commented
              Editing a comment
              antoniojeff808 damn man, I did have a DH and a Regular like you, but they deleted 1 app "because they want to streamline the process"... How the heck you still have 2 going.... lol... I hope they honor the locations on the 19-2 I applied because they have 2 locations I wanted.....

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8312 users online. 453 members and 7859 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X