Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
    No hair over the collar
    You sure about that one? The last CBPO who checked my passport could have tried out for Jesus Christ Superstar.

Comment

• In some threads i have read that CBPO's aren't really considered law enforcement? Is this true?? I wonder then would it be more difficult or less to be considered by the FBI, DEA, ICE,(for employment) or something else federal? any ideas

Comment

• Originally posted by jflores View Post
        In some threads i have read that CBPO's aren't really considered law enforcement? Is this true?? I wonder then would it be more difficult or less to be considered by the FBI, DEA, ICE,(for employment) or something else federal? any ideas
        I've never had that issue especially when executing a warrent for another agency. I've never had one of those people tell me you can't arrest me, you're not law enforcement.
        Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

In some threads i have read that CBPO's aren't really considered law enforcement? Is this true?? I wonder then would it be more difficult or less to be considered by the FBI, DEA, ICE,(for employment) or something else federal? any ideas
          Dude... Once again, Drop your TO and go look for something else... By the looks of it you didn't even put the time in to research what a CBPO is and does, so you should really consider going for something else...
          FYI-- CBPO's are Federal Law Enforcement Officers
          It was not considered Law Enforcement for the LE retirement guidelines put forth by congress, NOW it is included as such for LE retirement...
          Again...DROP your offer, and Good Luck on your future endeavors...
          CBPO
          Written: 08/29/2007
          EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• That's a bit harsh, between the GS/GL pay issue, the recently changed retirement regs, and general "stamp monkey" trash talk you read other places there are a lot of things that could trip someone up.

I mean the system DOESN'T make sense, CBP has 20 year retirement but Secret Service have 30, while FBI has 20 etc etc. If you start from an assumption that Fed guidelines make any kind of rational sense it's easy to get lost.

Comment

CBPO is considered law enforcement in every sense, by the nature of the job and by federal retirement definition (as of July 2008). LE is a diverse field so not every LE job is kicking down doors and roughing up bad guys, some of it is less glamorous. Getting considered for a CBP job is "easier" in terms of CBPO being an entry-level LE job. Therefore, you will not be required to demonstrate any significant job related or competitive work experience as required by FBI, DEA, and many ICE jobs. You fill out the same background forms as those other agencies and they check for the same things in the BI. If you are considering applying then apply, and if you get hired you can look at yourself in the mirror and honestly call yourself a "cop"

Comment

• Originally posted by Goosell View Post
                The taj are nicer housing that normally you have a roommate, but there are some people who don't get roomates also. They have a fridge and tv. Here's the catch though they are no where near classrooms, the gym, or the dining hall so you have to bus everywhere.

The crackhouses you will not have a roomate and you share your bathroom with one other person. there are no tvs or fridges but you can rent them from the fletc store.

As for your question bout gym and showering if you are in the crackhouses and have gym in the morning on your lunch break you could eat a quick meal then go to your room and shower. If your in the taj your pretty much sol, unless you want to shower in the locker room, which sucks to be honest. To be honest I'm really happy with the crackhouses, I go to the student center for lunch and take my food to my room and get ready for the second half of the day. Its within 5 mins of the dining hall, student center,gym, classroom. Way better than the taj imo.

Great info thanks man!...

why does it suck to get showered in the locker room? how much is a tv or fridge rent? any HD TV"S available?
                TESTED: 3/21 EL CENTRO,CA
                NOR: 4/21 - 92 (N/V) GS7
                QUALIFICATIONS: COMPLETED (8/15)
                GEO PREFERENCE: ANDRADE AZ/ CALEXICO CA
                PRE-EMPLOYMENT FORMS:COMPLETED (5/29)
                MEDICAL: COMPLETED(7/17)
                FITNESS: COMPLETED(7/24)
                VBT: (CALEXICO, CA) COMPLETED (7/22)
                DRUG TEST: COMPLETED (7/25)
                BI: CASE IS IN THE SECURITY OFFICE (met with the investigator (9/15) case sent to adjudicator(10/7)

Comment

• Originally posted by depezhe View Post

why does it suck to get showered in the locker room? how much is a tv or fridge rent? any HD TV"S available?
                  It sucks showering in the locker room because it is so busy. I mean just getting in and changing sometimes is a pain, getting in the shower just adds hasle to everything.
                  As far as the tvs I believe they are 25 a month for like a 17 inch. And the fridges are like 15 a month. No hd tvs though.

Comment

• Originally posted by depezhe View Post

The locker room is always really full of people. It's very uncomfrtable trying to get in and out and just get changed. You can rent from the FLETC express for relatively cheap prices or just buy off someone leaving that has a TV or Fridge. You can go out in town and pickup an HDTV but I don't think there are any for rent here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hound77 View Post
                      You sure about that one? The last CBPO who checked my passport could have tried out for Jesus Christ Superstar.
                      ahahahahahaha! well im just talkin academy regs. as far as the working poe goes, who knows what you'll see!?

Comment

Just depends on personal opinion and you have to consider what is said by all the "haters" out there. To me, badge, handcuffs, arrest authority, use of force continuim, etc all add up to law enforcement. I think people hear federal law enforcement and think FBI, ATF, and "customs" that they see in the movies and when they see the day to day workings of CBP, they are a little diappointed. There are many ways to enforce law and make the world a safer place and cbp is definitely one of them in my book.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hound77 View Post
                          That's a bit harsh, between the GS/GL pay issue, the recently changed retirement regs, and general "stamp monkey" trash talk you read other places there are a lot of things that could trip someone up.

I mean the system DOESN'T make sense, CBP has 20 year retirement but Secret Service have 30, while FBI has 20 etc etc. If you start from an assumption that Fed guidelines make any kind of rational sense it's easy to get lost.
                          I thought SA positions at other agencies (FBI, DEA, ATF, etc.) was GS level similar to cbp. GL levels only go up so high and then it transfers to gs (GL-10 is the highest I believe)?
                          "Do you have an appointment?"

-Gupta Rajan

Comment

• Originally posted by Orleanian84 View Post
                            I thought SA positions at other agencies (FBI, DEA, ATF, etc.) was GS level similar to cbp. GL levels only go up so high and then it transfers to gs (GL-10 is the highest I believe)?
                            I'm guessing he was referring to new hires/trainees at various agencies or those jobs that top out at or under GL-10, like IEA. You're right though, GL-10 is the upper limit of the GL scale.

Comment

• The biggest difference in responsibility between CBPO and "traditional LE" is we don't officially do investigations. I'll tell you though I do as much of an investigation in CBPO as most of the cases I worked in local PD. Many street cops don't do extensive investigations if the agency has a detective bureau. I refer to the CBPO position as LE lite. We have most of the functions and abilities of LE and do as much of the job as most local PD street officers, but we don't have to go busting down doors or chasing people as often as the local officers.

Flores--I don't think CBPO helps or hurts much when applying for other jobs any more than local agency experience would, with the exception of ICE, maybe. ICE is a bit different because you will be working with the same laws, but, and its a big but, you won't be able to go in as a GS-7 with ICE from CBPO because you won't have investigative experience.
                              Last edited by kc12; 12-06-2008, 07:35 AM.
                              But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
                                Catch the movie "the terminal" that'll give you a humorous look at the day to day goings on in an airport enviornment.
                                Check out the movie "Babel". It has a pretty intense CBPO scene.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9316 users online. 524 members and 8792 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X