Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danieldv9 yes I signed and sent the letter to opr. Cass showed green on the BI the next day after receiving the letter

Comment

• How long has it taken people to get the drug test results back? And then timeline from drug test to TSU, if provisional clear is approved? (I'm assuming mine will be)

Just spent 4.5 hours doing a psychological test for a local PD here..... that was brutally painful, especially after working all night! So now it's a race to see who calls for a job offer. I'm still hoping more for Customs, but I can't stand my hospital security job for much longer....

Local PD's hiring board is at the end of the month for an August pre-academy and September academy start date. I'm finally at the end of the process for both and I'm ready to stop waiting... or at least have a solid date so I can start a count down. :P
      CBPO 15-6 **3 yr recall w/ Military***
      CBPO (67%)
      Eqip: done
      PFT1: 11/08/2018
      Medical: 10/30/2018
      SI: 12/11/2018
      Poly: 4/15/2019
      Poly 2: 5/22/2019
      Poly 2 Check: 5/30/2019
      Drug Screen: 06/05/2019
      BI (initial email): 06/10/2019
      BI Meet: 06/24/2019
      PFT2: 06/26/2019
      Final Call: 07/08/2019 **turned down for GS9**

CBPO 19-9 (75%)
      Referred: 07/03/2019
      Eqip / Medical / SI / Poly check: 07/09/2019
      PFT1 / Drug Test check: 07/18/2019
      BI check: ??
      Final Call: 08/30/2019 (Gs9 SEA-TAC)
      EOD: 11/15/2019

Comment

• Swsports22
        Swsports22 commented
        Editing a comment
        Mike_lowrey. You have to do what’s best for you. I’ll say from someone that has worked as an LEO in a city and now as a Fed you are going to have less BS on the federal side. Let’s be honest, the public hates cops these days. There’s no respect. Look around the US and you’re even seeing Police Chiefs making dumb policies that are basically benefiting criminals. I know some NYPD guys, not many of will honestly say they love their job.

Federal side, it’s not going to be as busy. If you’re looking for a ‘knock doors down’ thing then go with nypd. With CBP you have the ability to go anywhere. You’re limited with NYPD

• Mike_lowrey
        Mike_lowrey commented
        Editing a comment
        Swsports22 I appreciate the insight I will be taking that into consideration.

• Talonderiel
        Talonderiel commented
        Editing a comment
        Mike_lowrey, just as Swsports22 said.... I've kicked down doors and done some crazy **** with the Navy while on deployment in Afghanistan and Djibouti. I'm looking for a rewarding career to work and grow with.

Local department has a dedicated Marine Unit (driving boats daily/nightly again) and a few specialty units that interest me.

CBPO has specialty units, less crazy day-to-day bs that I run into at the Hospital (just amplified on the streets), and the ability to be deployed/work at any airport or port that has routes to the US. Several ports and airports in Germany may be calling my name once I have enough time on duty to apply for them.

Also, CBPO/BPA would be a good stepping stone into Marine Interdiction Agent in the AMO office of CBP.... Or follow a few of my friends who starting in CBP and then moved on to HSI.

• I’m a ninja
        I’m a ninja commented
        Editing a comment
        I get you bro as bad as we all want this job we can’t put life on hold for something that might never come. Go with whoever calls you first.

• What the pros of being a CBPO vs BPA ?

Comment

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        It depends.

Generally I'd say OFO has better locations. Border Patrol has more interesting work. BP pay is more stable and more of it is retirement creditable. OFO pay is much more subject to the whims of the availability of overtime and shift differentials. Generally, older people, women and minorities are more represented in OFO. Younger males and Hispanics tend towards Border Patrol. Military service leans slightly in the direction of the BP...but plenty of OFO are former military. OFO has significantly more college degrees. BP tends to be more physically fit. More BP people tend to live to work...more CBPOs tend towards working to live.

• Talonderiel
        Talonderiel commented
        Editing a comment
        @StayFrosty .... the biggest advantage I'm looking at between the two are as follows:

CBPO: More training on reading people and gathering intelligence.... Also the availability to work at any Port/Airport that has direct service to the US..... so world-wide deployability.

BPA: Better initial tactical training and direct LEO work vice an indirect intelligence/intra-personal skills detection of CBPO.

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        One of the problems you'll find, especially in OFO, is that much of most everything ends up being largely Field Office/Service Port/Port specific. Few things are truly universal and applicable to all. In the end, it all depends one where one is and what is available to a person at that particular place and time.

Also, much of the time, one man's meat is another man's poison. What is considered a "pro" by one guy is often considered a "con" by the coworker sitting across the room.

• I’m a ninja
        I’m a ninja commented
        Editing a comment
        CBPO is a better job judging by what some of my friends in BP tell me. They say BP is pretty much a glorified security guard that pays decent.

• Hey everyone & Good Afternoon. Have a question for any current or recently separated CBPO's. I worked for TSA back in 2013-14 and we were able to do shift trades with other TSO's if we needed a day off or wanted to work an earlier or later shift. Does CBP offer this option as well? Thanks for your help. I just applied yesterday for CBP

Comment

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        Perhaps. It really depends on the particulars. Standard 8 hour people have one set of rules to follow. Alternative work schedule people have different options.
        As a rule of thumb you can usually swap 8 hour shifts as long as neither person puts themselves into more than 8 hours of work in a day or 40 hours each week. Different rules also apply to swapping overtime shifts.

• CBPO Applicant, PFT-1 is this Wednesday 6/19, any tips for the 5 min. step test? Hoping to make this my first and only attempt at the step test.

Ed

Comment

• PA_Ed
        PA_Ed commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you @Stevent518

How many times did you prepare before hand / practice the 5 min. step test? Do they allow you a few minutes to stretch before hand? Any tips? Did you focus on one spot in the room and just step?

• Stevent518
        Stevent518 commented
        Editing a comment
        PA_Ed truth be told, I didn’t practice beforehand. Ive only watched the video maybe 3 times max to get the rhythm down. On the second watch, I thought it would be a good idea to do it on a stair master, don’t do that. It doesn’t work. As long as you can get the rhythm down, you’re halfway there. The proctor will tell let you know how many minutes you have left and from there on, it’s mind over matter. You can stretch beforehand, I don’t see why they wouldn’t allow it. I’m an avid gym goer and I hardly stretch, so I had no problem jumping right into it. My portion of the step test was just doing it without stopping since there was no metronome device or audio device to go with it. I pretty much had the rhythm down in my head and went “up,up, down, down” throughout the test.

• Hal29
        Hal29 commented
        Editing a comment
        My first time there was no metronome. Second time there was. 1st time I didn't stretch but second time recording has you do a warm-up. I passed both. At the three minute mark your calves get sore and quads cramp up so it is important to stay hydrated.

• I’m a ninja
        I’m a ninja commented
        Editing a comment
        If you are in decent shape than you should be fine. Just follow instructions and you should be fine. Dress comfortable when I took there was someone there in jeans lmao

• One good thing about Local PDs is that when you apply and go through the process there is a “list” and everyone is ranked. They go down the list and pick candidates that way. There is nothing more annoying and ridicules then being an 18-9 waiting for a Polly (Location negotiable... so good to put anywhere) and watching people in the 19s and higher get Polly dates. No fault of the applicant, happy to see people get on but the whole process is so dumb. That’s my rant for today.
      Last edited by MrAce; 06-15-2019, 01:35 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• ontherunn
        ontherunn commented
        Editing a comment
        18-8 applicant here. Just hit 10 months now that I'm waiting for the poly. Kills me to see 19's applicants getting called for it. The person I contacted told me that the poly wait could be a year or more. Also can't just "forget and wait" since I have to check my e-mail every single day. So frustrating.

• MrAce
        MrAce commented
        Editing a comment
        ontherunn Yeah I hate when people say “forget about it”... Hard not to plan your life around this stuff when it can be life changing

• V_AntCBP
        V_AntCBP commented
        Editing a comment
        MrAce exactly. I want to plan for my family move but since I'm in this process, I have to postpone and keep waiting. Also, like you said, if they pull people base on the announcement number, I would have no issue waiting 1 year or so until its my turn. But freaking 18x and waiting while 19x got called left and right is not cool. ontherunn I'm 10 month and a week since my SI with no Eqip or medical issue.. lol smh...

• To all that have been in the process just go with the flow it will all work be patient and humble with the process it will all work out on the end. I’m in 19-2 awaiting for the poly exam. Once that is completed I will look forward to the next steps and keep on walking towards the end. I know it’s frustrating but don’t let your emotions get the better of you. Good luck to all have a blessed day and leave it to the big man above he will steer you through the path .

Comment

• Only question I have is, who on here chose NO Provisional Clearance and has completed their background check. I see alot of provisional people moving through the process fast. I'm currently a federal employee with the BOP?

Comment

• bonds525
          bonds525 commented
          Editing a comment
          I chose no provisional
          Took me 2 years to get an EOD

• raudy06
          raudy06 commented
          Editing a comment
          bonds525 by the looks thats where im headed, 1 year and 6 months in as of now.

• OKCsparrow
          OKCsparrow commented
          Editing a comment
          1 year and 7 months in. And I just started my background investigation maybe 2 weeks ago

• klocklear86
          klocklear86 commented
          Editing a comment
          Started April 2018...BI started Nov....smh this is a process

• Did anyone have their fitness exam at jfk? If so, how was it?

Comment

• s4mr
          s4mr commented
          Editing a comment
          you do it in a room that will probably have some random patients in it so it'll be awkward, other than that it goes just how you expect.

• Got the call
        EOD 9/27 JFK
        FLETC - 10/17 - 3/2

anyone with similar dates dates feel free to direct message - good luck to all
        Last edited by category631; 06-17-2019, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• raudy06
          raudy06 commented
          Editing a comment
          Congratulations! what announcement? and does your timeline look like?

• category631
          category631 commented
          Editing a comment
          raudy06 18-12 and entire process took just under 600 days from Oct 2017

• Mike_lowrey
          Mike_lowrey commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats! Why a year wait after your nor?

• raudy06
          raudy06 commented
          Editing a comment
          category631 how are you 18-12 and applied Oct 2017 when im 18-3 and applied Dec 2017, did you mean to say 18-2?

• Well guys I got the notification of unfavorable poly results so it looks like I’m out for a bit. I’m still kinda bummed that being nervous made me failed, but I do know that I’m not the only one. Hopefully something will come along in the future that’ll lessen or remove the polygraph for veterans and police officers. Good luck to the rest of y’all.

Comment

• Stevent518
          Stevent518 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry to hear that. Don’t they take nervousness into consideration prior to the poly?

• Luckyjack90
          Luckyjack90 commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought they would but it didn’t seem that way for me personally.

• I’m a ninja
          I’m a ninja commented
          Editing a comment
          Don’t feel bad bro I passed the poly like a year ago and have not heard anything since getting the government shutdown generic email back in feb I think it was.

• Hal29
          Hal29 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey ninja. Yeah I'm still around. Waiting on background. What kind of job you take to cause you to move? Hope all is well. Forgot what you did previously for work.

• Reached out to my local recruiter and he said I should be getting a call to schedule my polygraph in the next 3 weeks. I'm 19-1 VRA.
        Last edited by pnw360; 06-17-2019, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• V_AntCBP
          V_AntCBP commented
          Editing a comment
          Lucky you because my local recruiter kept giving me generic responses that they do not know when, out of their hands, just keep checking emails and waiting for phone calls pnw360

• Hi - I just took the CBP entrance exam last week and got the email today that I passed. The email didn't contain the score it just said I passed. So my question is does the score matter on this exam?

Comment

• V_AntCBP
          V_AntCBP commented
          Editing a comment
          I took the entrance recently too and received no scored either, just the passing NOR, I think they went away with giving out scores,

• Hal29
          Hal29 commented
          Editing a comment
          I took mine in May and got a score. So I'm not really sure what the deal is with the scores.

• Ix360xI
          Ix360xI commented
          Editing a comment
          Think there will be another NOR email once they reviewed your application.

• Ix360xI
          Ix360xI commented
          Editing a comment
          Update - got another NOR today that I am eligible for GS-5 and is referred. Score was not provided.

• I am announcement 19-3 GS-7 (Miami) and 19-7 GS-9 (DH,Tucson). I am super frustrated that I turned in my medical follow-up paper work over a month ago and that it still hasn’t been cleared. I don’t mind waiting two years to get this job but it would be nice to take the polygraph to know if it’s even worth the wait. We all know you aren’t yit until you pass that polygraph.. which I believe has a failure rate of a little over 70%.

Comment

• Ix360xI
          Ix360xI commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed! The poly should be on top of the list right after medical. Shouldn’t have people wait that long just to be disqualified.

• Stevent518
          Stevent518 commented
          Editing a comment
          At least they contacted you for further medical information, mine has been sent in for further review for awhile now.

• Steve40
          Steve40 commented
          Editing a comment
          It took about six months to clear my medical after I submitted additional info. Yours may or may not take that long but it probably will come close. Don't get frustrated, it won't do you any good. I came to terms with this being the process I have to deal with if I want the job. It is what it is.

• Does anyone have any information on if the CBP officer position qualifies for the federal student loan repayment program? My fiance works for the state department and she gets her student loans repayed each year. I've tried searching on here but haven't found a definitive answer one way or another. Anyone with any first hand knowledge care to chime in?

Comment

• Hou33guy
          Hou33guy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes you are

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4751 users online. 209 members and 4542 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X