Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jas423323 thats amazing I applied in November and I just finished my SI last month and was told to wait up to a year to take my Polygraph. Is there someone I should call

Comment

• CBPO-DFW
      CBPO-DFW commented
      Editing a comment
      1 year to 2 years is normal, some may take up to 4 years before they get the call!

• I’m looking to get into NY port that could be the delay.

Comment

• txm44
      txm44 commented
      Editing a comment
      I applied 1/2018 for jfk, I just got my poly date last week for May 20th. I’m currently a LEO, and this process has no rhyme or reason. Just gotta take it as it comes and see what happens.

• Do you think that your port of choice plays a part in when you get scheduled for your polygraph? I had SI last month on southern border and one of the guys told me usually 8-12 weeks after SI, but honestly it’s much longer than that lol

Comment

• corsair
      corsair commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure it might have a minor play but who knows. I applied for Newark, NJ i'm sure me and the other 10000 people are waiting for a poly lol.

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe.

Priority ports, chronically problem ports, major ports and influential ports probably jump to the front of the line.

They usually do for most things.

• The port you choose has some say to when you receive poly because some ports are larger than others but at the same time like JFK and Newark being large ports also have a high applicant count which will take longer to get the call or email but also depends what they are trying to fill in whether it’s GS5 GS7 or GS9 is needed. What I can see is that it seems like it’s a raffle drawing.

Comment

• EE302
      EE302 commented
      Editing a comment
      I applied GS9 so hopefully they look at them first.

• Has anyone taken the polygraph at JFK location or in Valley Stream NY. I hope there were no horror stories of interrogation to them. I keep hearing applicants are not passing the poly because of some scare tactics. It seems like if you do not pass the poly they do not weigh any other steps to make hiring decision. They should have made the polygraph as the first step in this process rather than make the applicants go through all these steps which mean nothing along the way.

Comment

• corsair
      corsair commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with Evolution81, why waste $3k+ per applicant when they can eliminate people hand over fist for dollars in comparison.

• Seminoles44
      Seminoles44 commented
      Editing a comment
      Evolution81 out of curiosity, how do you know each test costs 3k? Is that number confirmed?

• Evolution81
      Evolution81 commented
      Editing a comment
      oig report

https://www.oig.dhs.gov/sites/defaul...-ma-080417.pdf

CBP raised concerns regarding our cost estimate for conducting polygraph
      examinations on applicants who made unsuitable admissions during the pretest interview. CBP said that our methodology may have resulted in an
      overstatement of cases and associated costs. As stated in the report, our
      estimate could have been higher because we excluded cases where applicants
      made unsuitable admissions during both the pre and post-test interviews. For
      purposes of this report, we only included pre-test admissions because we could
      not separate the “both” category. In addition, the cost estimate of $2,200 per
      polygraph is based on CBP’s budget information it provided at the time of the
      alert. As a result, our cost estimate was understated rather than overstated.

Understated so i assume 3000+
      Last edited by Evolution81; 05-03-2019, 07:39 PM.

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      The polygraph is a result of a law passed by Congress and signed by President Obama.
      If it weren't for that, CBP wouldn't have it.

In many ways, considering that the polygraph has a 70ish percentage non-passing rate, it makes plenty sense to schedule it first. It's not like all the other steps in the process cost pennies. The agency is spending hundreds, if not thousands of dollars for each step in the process.

• Just got the Call an hour ago! EOD 5AUG - 28JAN!!

Last edited by YOUNG718; 05-03-2019, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• Yongky Sunyoto
      Yongky Sunyoto commented
      Editing a comment
      fort1978, did the BI stage initiated after poly?, or its a progress from start?

• YOUNG718
      YOUNG718 commented
      Editing a comment
      fort1978 I already passed BI.. got the call for my official EOD date on Friday!

• fort1978
      fort1978 commented
      Editing a comment
      The BI will not get started until you pass the Poly.

• YOUNG718
      YOUNG718 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's not necessarily true. Preliminary checks WILL be conducted prior to the poly and that is the beginning of your BI. The FIELD INVESTIGATION will begin after a successful polygraph exam and that is the last stages of a BI.

• Took my poly today, I got a verbal pass. The examiner was real cool and professional, it took around two hours. It wasn't a bad experience at all.

CBPO 19-1 GS-7

Applied- 10/30/18
    Exam- 11/01/18
    NoR- 11/05/18
    TO- 11/09/18
    e-QIP submitted- 11/14/18
    Medical- 11/19/18
    e-QIP released to ORP- 11/20/18
    PFT- 11/26/18
    SI- 12/03/18
    Poly- 5/3/19 (verbal pass)

Comment

• corsair
      corsair commented
      Editing a comment
      Hell yeah Camelbak - where did you take your poly?

• Camelbak
      Camelbak commented
      Editing a comment
      It was in San Diego.

• pnw360
      pnw360 commented
      Editing a comment
      This gives me some hope. I'm 19-1 but GS-5 on the West Coast. Fingers crossed I hear something in the near future about the poly.

• Ight fellas, 18-6(3/2018) here and i finally can post some good news. I got an email for my polygraph for May 8th in Chicago(picked Detroit because there was no Chicago location for cbp, but i'm not complaining). Just waiting on the polygrapher to get back to me and make it official.

Comment

• corsair
      corsair commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats great news going into the weekend - best of luck rad!

• radsavage
      radsavage commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks fam im going in confident and im going to pass it

• Originally posted by txm44 View Post
    18-3, finally received poly date email for 5/20.
    In valley stream NY. Anybody take it here recently?
    glad to see some movement after all this time.
    Yes I took mine there on 4/30 just got my NOR that I failed and was told by examiner I failed too. Unfortunately the test is very flawed.... at the end the examiner said to me “I don’t think you were lying, but you must’ve had other things on your mind that tripped you up, and I can’t pass you today” and said he could help me get a retest and that I’d make a great candidate. The whole time I’m thinking in my head well sir I’ve been here 6 hours I have a splitting headache, I’m just ready to go home... and I’m thinking there’s no way they’re going to waste time/resources etc, to retest me. The guy flew in from Florida I’m all the way here in NY. Anyway, i was glad to have closure and see that I had officially failed instead of waiting weeks wondering what the outcome is. Only advice I have for you is try to focus and picture yourself at the beach or something as you’re basically blanking out at the wall and definitely not moving is one of the biggest things too. He said the fact that I was moving didn’t help me either, but i genuinely couldn’t even tell.... the machine is beyond sensitive.... anyway I failed at the very end apparently, but I don’t trust that... examiners they will probably tell you anything to get you riled up and have you sweat it out, I could have failed the last part or maybe even the whole test, who knows... either way I’m not gonna beat myself up, I told the truth and for him to say he doesn’t think I was lying and that id make a great candidate was nice to hear whether he meant it or not. there’s a 70% failure rate so I wasn’t so shocked when he said I failed it was my first time even taking a poly... Be confident and believe in yourself. good luck. You can always pm me any other questions you have. At the end of the day it does suck to have failed even knowing I was truthful, but maybe it’s not meant to be..2 years isn’t such a long wait to be in the penalty box, so it’s not the end of the world. I still hold a stable federal job, so I am just going to keep my head up and know what to expect should i ever take another in the future.
    Last edited by birdman123; 05-03-2019, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• Evolution81
      Evolution81 commented
      Editing a comment
      sucks bro..but look at it like this its only 2 years and you can reapply...COnfidence is Key as well as NOT moving and following the admins instructions! and bed rest!

• birdman123 sorry to hear that the poly did not work out for you but I have seen some posts where a candidate is told that he/she failed and once updated on the CASS they passed or they receive email for a retest. I’m waiting for my poly exam too for JFK. I think they weigh the poly heavily as the main factor and I am a bit confused as it is made up of 3 parts when they are looking for suitability. Any advise for those of us who are awaiting for their poly exam? It will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Camelbak
      Camelbak commented
      Editing a comment
      The best advice I can give after today is:

Dress the part. The email said casual attire was fine, but I still came in business casual. First impressions mean a lot when building a rapport.

Listen to the examiner.

Disclose everything and I mean everything. It doesn’t matter how stupid, embarrassing, or insignificant it might be. If it’s on your mind just tell them.

Don’t overthink it.

• Evolution81
      Evolution81 commented
      Editing a comment
      you actually want to be comfortable business casual is fine...key is snacks/water bed rest...confidence..listen....and DONT MOVE!.and to the point answers....you can build a rapport but dont talk too much....you can tell the truth all you want but people still fail

• Did you email them and ask to review it and maybe they will offer you a retest because it was mentioned on your testing day by the person that gave you the exam? I doesn’t hurt to ask.

Comment

• Camelbak thanks for the insight. I am probably overthinking it it has been 15 years for me since I was on an interview process like this. Will be my first time with the poly exam it seems intimidating. Just curious did you experience any difficulty in the sense of being interrogating. I am asking because I seen posts on this forum that is very discouraging. It seems who gave you the exam was a professional and was looking to help you get through this together. I hope the examiner that I get is that way too. Unfortunately there are always some bad apples on both ends of the table. Thanks again for clarifying.

Comment

• Camelbak
        Camelbak commented
        Editing a comment
        This was also my first polygraph. I never felt like I was being interrogated. However, there were times I could tell he was digging, but that's part of the job, to uncover the truth. So I had no issues with that. This guy was a great examiner, if I could somehow left feedback on him I would have. If more candidates got examiners like him, I think there would be less horror stories.

• Camelbak you are 100% right about that. Hopefully CBP has looked closely at how the exam has been administered with those examiners that actually their to assist with the process to make it more like a team effort with one goal to actually get the candidate through it in a positive manner regardless of the outcome and have CBP be the judge of the results not the examiner. From all the videos I seen posted on cbp.gov that is what they want I think the examiners should follow CBP’s protocol and not their own. Thank you again for your insight and good luck with the rest of the processes.

Comment

• raudy06
        raudy06 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey fonzi7979 just a suggestion, you can reply under the same thread instead of making a new post every time. This forum is already thousand of pages long. Good luck in your process.

• The biggest thing to focus on is trying to stay as still as possible. During my test, and during the last section which he said I didn't pass on, he had told me to stop moving and then got visibly irate and raised his voice a bit and said he wasn't going to repeat it again. This caused me to get more nervous, as I genuinely could not feel myself moving at all and I was doing everything in my power not to move. I was then starting to think perhaps even my breathing was causing me to move too much so I started taking shallower breaths which was making my headache and nervousness even worse. The machine tests for any physiological changes to your body, so movement is 100% a big factor in that. Another thing that really offset me was I would answer the question and think in the back of my mind about how I don't want to cause a false-positive because they have a 30-second delay after you answer, I assume to analyze the charts or whatnot. Another thing is the fact that the test isn't 100% accurate, so whatever method you have to do to calm yourself, go with it. At one point, I had answered a question and thought to myself after "wait a minute, did I answer that question incorrectly?" I'm sure this caused me to show up as what would be deemed an untruthful response. At the end of the day, there's really not much else I can say other than to just listen to the examiner, stay consistent and try not to overthink it. It would have been nice to be given the opportunity to retest to see how I did the second time around, but it is what it is.

Comment

• Evolution81
        Evolution81 commented
        Editing a comment
        you modifying your breathing was one of the causes of you failing..i call that deploying counter measures...and you failed because of that ......the machine detected you were being deceptive due to that...DO NOT try to modify your breathing just listen to the admin and do..LOL

• Yongky Sunyoto
        Yongky Sunyoto commented
        Editing a comment
        i tend to hold my breath when trying to focus on hearing what ppl says, is that a bad thing to do?

• fort1978
        fort1978 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yongky Sunyoto when you go for the Poly just relax and follow the examiner's instructions to the tee, and everything will be fine I had to take it 3 times before I finally passed in Newark N.J.

• It would've been nice to try again, but I must've totally bombed it to get an unfavorable email in only 3 days. I mean, the examiner was cool at the end and told me he didn't think I was lying, but he couldn't pass me and that he still thinks I make a great candidate for the job. Definitely was nice to hear and I think that holds more weight than a machine. There's other agencies, I'm fine with it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9424 users online. 393 members and 9031 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X