• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does direct hire mean ?

Comment

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      Direct-hire authority allows agencies with OPM approval to hire people without using the usual rating and selection procedures...examples, consideration of veterans’ preference, entrance exams...etc.

• V_AntCBP
      V_AntCBP commented
      Editing a comment
      Direct Hire also means you are going to south west border ports... Texas, AZ, CA, etc... no other options.leo1112

• I was looking @ pay scale if your a gs 5 you go through steps , or can you move to another pay scale as you gain more experience ?, or do you have to get a masters and stuff to move to another tier

Comment

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      Normal progression each year...
      GS-05...wait 52 weeks
      GS-07...wait 52 weeks
      GS-09... "
      GS-11... "
      GS-12/01
      GS-12/02
      GS-12/03
      GS-12/04
      GS-12/04
      GS-12/05
      GS-12/05
      GS-12/06
      GS-12/06
      GS-12/07
      GS-12/07
      GS-12/07
      GS-12/08
      GS-12/08
      GS-12/08
      GS-12/09
      GS-12/09
      GS-12/09
      GS-12/10
      With 12/10 being the highest step obtainable...outside of promotion or a journeyman increase.

• Anyone else see this?? It’s a little dated but was an interesting read.

https://www.oig.dhs.gov/sites/defaul...8-68-Jul18.pdf

87% applicants removed prior to the polygraph exam - 2016 study
    Last edited by corsair; 03-29-2019, 12:54 PM.
    CBPO 19-4 - Switched to 19-8

CASS APP-50%
    EQIP - Completed
    Medical Exam - Completed
    Structured Interview - Completed
    Fitness Test - Completed
    Polygraph - TBD

Comment

• TheSlammer
      TheSlammer commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds about right. And lot had to take it twice just to pass.

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      The usual mess of inept recruitment probably has something to do with those high failure numbers during the earliest steps.

• Hello there. I applied for this job a few months ago and I would like to know if the job is good. Am fron NYC so I got JFK and Newark to pick from. I would like to know, which on is better ?and if the job is good?. Am currently LOE. Thank you and be safe out there.

Comment

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      JFK is, by far, the larger of the two ports.
      Money-wise, around NYC and NJ, you can do better by cherrypicking a local LE job.

• YOUNG718 I was found unsuitable not disqualified. They may want me to fix something simple. I don't know until I get a FOIA report. There is a difference between the two. They said reapply and fix whatever issue it maybe. It's my time not yours. I will choose if it's a waste of time or not. I was in the process for almost 19 months. I'm not going to base my decision on someone else telling me not to and that it's a waste.

thanks

Comment

• Hal29
      Hal29 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I know what it is but I'm not sure. I'm waiting on FOIA. But think it has to do with my student loans. It's complicated situation. I'm not in debt but department of education filed a corruption suit against the university. The university shut down. Major federal lawsuit. My loans have been frozen but indecent agency is still trying to collect. So they put it default. I received an email about 4 weeks ago from the department of education put a freeze on my loan and told me told wait until after litigation. Sent me a letter of proof to submit if needed. I contacted my investigator but he said once he submits it, it is out of his hands. But by that time opr already made their decision. I'm assuming. Because I never got a response. A week later I got the response.

That is the only thing I can think of. When I talked to investigator and recruiter. They told me to submit the letter and FOIA if that was the case. I can't think of anything else. But yes my actual debt is 1,500. The student is in court for loan forgiveness lawsuit. Right now my claim is with the internal affairs department. We'll see what happens.

As of right now my application was found suitable and I'm scheduled for the exam. I did not get the gs-9 because I did not meet the educational or direct work experience. I only have 60 credits in criminal justice with no military or federal experience.

We'll see!

• Srhernza115
      Srhernza115 commented
      Editing a comment
      I wish you the best of luck Hal and hopefully this issue can be resolved and they can get you back on track. We’re here to support one another and give good advice. I follow this forum to read about people’s timelines and experiences and give my two cents every once in a while, not to see people gang up on others and beat them when they’re down.

• Hal29
      Hal29 commented
      Editing a comment
      Much appreciated. Thank you

• V_AntCBP
      V_AntCBP commented
      Editing a comment
      shooot... I have 150k mortgage default (not a bankruptcy ), it was settled in court between me and mortgage company in 2014. They agreed to forgive the amount i defaulted, I walked free and clear and i agreed to give them back the house.... I noted that on my eqip...... I'm back on track now with almost 800 point credit score and every bills have been paid on time for the last 5 years... hopefully this would not find me unsuitable...

• Young718 there’s probably good reason he was found unsuitable for employment. Like I’ve said in earlier posts he seems come
    off defensive and immature. People hiding behind fake names and posting stuff they would never say to your face. I wish him luck in the future but he obviously needs work on some things.

Comment

• YOUNG718
      YOUNG718 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. Wish him the best.
      Last edited by YOUNG718; 03-30-2019, 08:29 PM.

• Hal29
      Hal29 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm still a nice guy. Once again you don't know me. Not am I immature. So you know that it was something serious? Because if you seen my background there is nothing serious. Never been arrested, no drug history, never been outside the country. So I am curious to see what it is.
      Last edited by Hal29; 03-30-2019, 03:42 PM.

• Hal29
      Hal29 commented
      Editing a comment
      Not once did I say anything disrespectful. It's the other way around. But it's all good. I'm here for me. So if I was encouraged to reapply, well that's what I will do. I've had a lot of support on this forum. I've been here for a while and have support myself, not knocking people down. So if reapplying is what I want to do, then so be it. I don't people to tell me there are good reasons why I was found unsuitable, or that it's a waste of time, or I'm defensive, or I need to wait two years. No where does it say I need to wait two years. I've passed my medical, physical, si, and poly. So why would i need to wait two years? I don't put you down. I expect the same in return. Thanks

• YOUNG718
      YOUNG718 commented
      Editing a comment
      Right on. My apologies. Good luck.

• deleted comment
    Last edited by RJ_Jersey; 03-30-2019, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• I am currently a 19-2 regular GS9 applicant. I was a 18-6 DH. (Switched due to me being law enforcement) BI turned in Dec. I know the government is moving slow on BI's. Just wondering if me being a 19-2 applicant now will push my app. further back now or that really doesn't matter?

Comment

• SmokeScreen07
        SmokeScreen07 commented
        Editing a comment
        klocklear86 Based off of how others applied to new announcements, with an app already in progress; you should pick up were you left off. I think it only applies if you took the old entrance exam (since your're going for GS-9), or depending on how long ago you completed PFT-1, Medical, & SI. I believe both apps will run simultaneously.

• Sspence861
        Sspence861 commented
        Editing a comment
        I started over from 18-11 to 19-7, all my stuff carried over and is already on the app

• Corsair-I think my fun stopped after the BI was turned in lol this waiting game is for the birds...Hal29 I'm not sure but I hope you do get an explanation on why they found you unsuitable. That in its self is a shocker to everyone on this forum. 19 months yea I'm sure that open the eyes of alot. Wish you luck
      Last edited by klocklear86; 03-31-2019, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• corsair
        corsair commented
        Editing a comment
        Time flies when you’re having fun - I’m only 64 days in haha

• Hal29
        Hal29 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm wondering if I'll eventually have to do medical and physical again.

• When selected did anybody receive a letter from OPR or just a email saying you've been selected?

Comment

• Good Morning, new announcement for DH has port that I would like to work, should I reapply if my original DH announcement didn't have this specific port ? I'm currently waiting on my background to clear.

Comment

• Nousername1
          Nousername1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the input V_AntCBP. I will wait it out.

• Hal29
          Hal29 commented
          Editing a comment
          What port is it?

• Nousername1
          Nousername1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Laredo hal wasn't on the announcement when I applied last year.

• Talonderiel
          Talonderiel commented
          Editing a comment
          With the lee time from announcement to hiring, I wonder if port availability is factored into the job offer then or if that is why you're given a list when they call you. :P

• Anyone know the time frame to get your poly results back?

Comment

• corsair
          corsair commented
          Editing a comment
          From what I've read a lot of people receive a verbal statement from the administrator but I think I saw it could take a few weeks for it to update. This isn't 100% but thats what i've read.

• V_AntCBP
          V_AntCBP commented
          Editing a comment
          any where from 1 day to 6-8 weeks Army101, a friend of my just took poly last week and the next day her cass app update to green, if you got a verbal pass, you should be fine...

• jamoranto
          jamoranto commented
          Editing a comment
          I took my poly 2 weeks ago. I took it on a Monday, got an email from the examiner 2 days later that I passed. The following Monday CASS turned gree.

• JPOL
          JPOL commented
          Editing a comment
          I did my poly, got the verbal pass, was told to expect the email stating my official results in 2 weeks. In less than 24 hours, I got my results via my examiner through the email. He was a CBP agent that also worked as an examiner though, so that may have sped things up vs. CBP using a vendor. My CASS updated a few days later.

• What is the average wait after passing poly is the next step?
        Last edited by jamoranto; 04-01-2019, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• Talonderiel
          Talonderiel commented
          Editing a comment
          Background Investigation can take anywhere from a month to almost a year.... it all depends your background investigator, how complex your background is, the number of lottery winners, and the average availability of calico cats breeding with Hemingway cats. :P

• Srhernza115
          Srhernza115 commented
          Editing a comment
          Talonderiel yea no kidding.

• “The CBP Hiring Center has submitted your background investigation packet to the Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR) for higher level review. This is the next step in the process”

Well that being said - I’ll stop by in another 7 months when I go for my poly.
        CBPO 19-4 - Switched to 19-8

CASS APP-50%
        EQIP - Completed
        Medical Exam - Completed
        Structured Interview - Completed
        Fitness Test - Completed
        Polygraph - TBD

Comment

• Talonderiel
          Talonderiel commented
          Editing a comment
          corsair .... we will be waiting for you at the table with coffee :P

• 19-4

1-29 Applied
        2-2 Test
        2-4 Results
        2-13 NOR
        3-12 Tentative Offer
        3-15 EQIP Submitted
        3-19 Medical (still processing)
        3-27 SI
        3-28 SI NOR
        4-1 Fitness Test - Verbal Pass

Again, for anyone who might be trying to get on with TSA while waiting, here is my process with Boston Logan:

3-7 Applied
        3-12 Test and Offer
        3-13 Credit Check Passed
        3-15 EQIP Submitted
        3-30 Airport Assessment - Pass
        3-31 All forms submitted
        4-4 Medical Exam
        Background - Pending
        Hiring Pool - Pending
        EOD - Pending

Comment

• corsair
          corsair commented
          Editing a comment
          GJ on the fitness test fellow 19-4, does anyone know if you can switch federal jobs immediately or you’re required to stay a minimum period? I applied for a bunch of jobs but CBP or Capitol Police is the goal.

• rergang3
          rergang3 commented
          Editing a comment
          LMC have you gotten an email to fill out the questionnaire and request certain days for it? I did that and didn't hear anything back after 48 hours so I called. There was a hold up because on the questionnaire I answered I had a procedure within the last 6 months. She scheduled me over the call and sent me an additional waiver form I needed to get signed. Not sure what your situation is like.

corsair thanks! Good question. I wouldn't think so? I guess if there's a probationary period, I would stay for that. Not completely sure though.

• LMC
          LMC commented
          Editing a comment
          rergang3 I have not filled out a questionnaire. I actually haven’t received any form of communication in regards to the Fitness test. Still early in the game, so just need to be patient. I’m doing my process out of Los Angeles.

• rergang3
          rergang3 commented
          Editing a comment
          LMC ahhh ok understood. Hang in there!

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5440 users online. 314 members and 5126 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X