Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Folks. I am a 19-3 applicant here. This is my second attempt at becoming a CBPO. I last applied in 2014 and sailed through the entire process until the polygraph at which point I was told I failed and that ended my process. I've passed all other law enforcement polygraphs I have taken without issue and am currently working for a local Sheriff's department as a deputy. I'm at the tail end of my 30's so this is my last shot as 40 seems to be the maximum to EOD.

I've completed my entrance exam (93), medical, Equip and have have my SI scheduled for next week (my last application included the now removed VBT). Last time I had to complete the medical and PFT-1 same day but now I am told that they are intentionally separated. Hopefully I get an email to schedule the PFT soon. Things slow down quite a bit (for most) when poly is the next step. My last application was active for 16 months (no medical, psych issues or waivers) before I took the poly so I have to assume that had I passed the poly I would have been 24+ months start-finish. Good luck to everyone in the process and remember this is a marathon not a race.

Comment

• Hal29
      Hal29 commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you serious? What the....

• DP23
      DP23 commented
      Editing a comment
      @Evolution Lol I heard of that, hopefully that's better than the expedited hiring expos that bottlenecked the process right at the poly.

• Hal29
      Hal29 commented
      Editing a comment
      I just don't know why you would expedite new applicants while you still have current applicants waiting to get through. Your cramming to much into an already backed up process.

• Evolution81
      Evolution81 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah supposedly it's a recruiter sent link...smfh..LOL..feds never ceases to amaze me...gotta wait till my background clears to take a pee test...that can take 6 weeks or a year...my last background I was almost off probation when I got called for my subject interview..lol

• LMC Hal29 Yes I’ve taken the drug test already back in September. At this point since my background still says “in progress” Indont really know if that means they haven’t made a decision yet.

Comment

• 19-1 DH sitting at 38%. I was previously 18-6 but I got medically disqualified (after sending them additional info after the initial exam) because of my uncorrected vision (I passed everything else in medical though). When I reapplied in October for 19-1, I retook the entrance exam, and my SI and pft1 transferred. CASS says that my medical (the same medical that got me disqualified) transferred and is being reviewed. Do you think I will have to redo the entire medical process or will I only have to redo the part that I failed? I failed because of my uncorrected vision, but I have gotten LASIK surgery and my vision is completely fixed now.

Comment

• Hal29
        Hal29 commented
        Editing a comment
        May have you redo medical or at least the eye exam portion.

• To anyone that will like to share about the physical fitness test it will be greatly appreciated. I am scheduled to take PFT1 test at JFK for 19-2. Has anyone completed it. What did it consist of and how difficult is it for someone to pass the test?

Thanks

Comment

• V_AntCBP
        V_AntCBP commented
        Editing a comment
        fonzi7979 depend how fit you are, but 12 pushups and 20 sit ups in 1 min, 120 steps per min for 5 mins. For me, the steps test was hardest. I barely passed, another 30sec I would fail. I was out of shape and it took me about 1 month to train for it. My tips would be just perform enough to pass, don't need to be rambo and over perform even if you can, save your energy for the steps test. Because all the tests are back to back none stop. Now, if you happen to fail, they will give you a second chance before dropping your application, take about 4-6 weeks to reschedule for 2nd chance

• Hal29
        Hal29 commented
        Editing a comment
        If your in decent shape it isn't to bad. The step test is cadence. Get your rhythm down, work on cardio and leg strength. 5 minutes at that pace seems like forever. Should be fine if you train for it.

• N.N.
        N.N. commented
        Editing a comment
        There's a good youtube video that helps practice with the cadence. I believe you can just search "border patrol step test" and it pops up.

• To V and Hal thank you for the insight I figure that step test would be the toughest I practiced a few times and 5 min feels like eternity especially when the speaker talking to you.

I am assuning if you stick to the rhythm rhythm to the best of your ability and make it through the 5 min a person should be okay.

Thank you

Comment

• d2ep
        d2ep commented
        Editing a comment
        There is an app called metronome which you can download and use that.

• douglasgene1
        douglasgene1 commented
        Editing a comment
        for five minutes i had to whisper up..up..down..down to help me keep the right steps. also use the balls of you're feet..dont flat foot it

• Hey guys, question for those of you who completed your SI and poly.

I just got scheduled for my Structured Interview, the e-mail says that my polygraph will be scheduled the "next day" after the interview. I was just wondering if it really works out like this or if it is a generic e-mail and they schedule it further out. Will the poly literally be the next day? Just need to know so I can take off work if need be, I just don't want to waste a day of leave for nothing.

If it matters I am GS-9 VRA 18-13

Comment

• V_AntCBP
        V_AntCBP commented
        Editing a comment
        I've seen people took poly a day after SI before. So you are probably the lucky one... Also you are a VRA, so its probably true. You may need to confirm the day and time with them to be 100% sure though Achyuta

• N.N.
        N.N. commented
        Editing a comment
        V_Ant is right, it's happened before, although it's rare. For what it's worth, I was told to expect to hear something on the poly 2-3 months after SI. I'm at 8 months now and nothing...

• Mkebdani
        Mkebdani commented
        Editing a comment
        I interviewed in September 2018 and have not yet get a polygraph nor the drug test. I honestly dont even know where I am at now. Sent several emails to Hr and only got automated responses. Can anyone guide please? Here is additional info:

App: 8/28/18
        Eqip : 9/4/18
        SI: 9/25/18
        Physical: 10/11/18
        fitness: 10/19/18

• Hey guys.. Finally some progress!
      Does anyone know if we’re able to eod (port) at the same location we choose, or does it have to be at our current hometown?
      18-2 Announcement GS-9
      11/22/17 - Applied
      12/15/17 NOR of vacancy
      12/28/17 - Medical Exam
      1/26/17 - PFT 1
      1/30/18 - eQIP released to OPR
      3/8/18 - SI/Fingerprints
      3/9/18 - SI NOR
      5/18/18 - Polygraph - Valley Stream
      5/29/18 Contacted to continue Poly
      6/7/18 Continuation poly - DC
      6/18/18 - Polygraph NOR
      7/19/18 - eQip released again
      7/30/18 - Received cards to redue Fingerprints
      8/7/18 - Fingerprints received
      8/10/18 - Background started
      10/30/18 - BI Met with Coworkers
      11/14/18 - Met with investigator
      11/26/18 BI spoke with references
      2/6/19 - Background Cleared
      2/13/19 - Drug Test & received Self Medical email
      2/14/19 - Received email Re-Cleared medically
      2/19/19- Referred to TSU
      Last edited by O_rod86; 02-19-2019, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• mobyfish
        mobyfish commented
        Editing a comment
        You EOD at your duty location you selected when they called with the offer.

• raudy06
        raudy06 commented
        Editing a comment
        wow, although each background is different, seeing your timeline makes me excited, because im 18-3 and my background concluded on 11/27/18. so Im just waiting for it to clear. and i have seen more and more folks from the late 17 announcements get their clearance so they almost reaching the early 18's and your is a proof.

• raudy06
        raudy06 commented
        Editing a comment
        question, did it just clear on cass or you got an email? O_rod86

• O_rod86
        O_rod86 commented
        Editing a comment
        raudy06 it updated on cass. I was contacted by email on Monday to verify some info, then I asked approx how long I would hear back.. Lady told me that she planned on submitting my file by the end of business day.
        and i think my background was submitted late December.
        Last edited by O_rod86; 02-06-2019, 09:48 PM.

• Anyone else wonder if there is a 3rd party into the hiring process that delays it? Im only 6 months in and 50% completed (which I guess is considered fast), but I do feel like they are prolonging this process when they say they need people.

Comment

• N.N.
        N.N. commented
        Editing a comment
        There was a 3rd party contractor (Accenture) involved in the process for awhile. They were supposed to help expedite things, but reports came out a few months back that CBP paid them over $13 million last year and they only helped produce 2 hires. Supposedly they've pulled back their involvement since that was uncovered.

The hiring process' biggest problem is simply inconsistency. Some people are seemingly pushed through, and go start to finish within 4 or 5 months, which shows it can be done quickly. But then others of us are sitting around for years waiting to EOD. For example, I'm at 50% just like you, but I've been in the process for 12, going on 13 months. Some people get the call for their poly as they're walking out the door from their SI. I, for example, having been waiting 8 months and counting. Obviously there's going to be a range of people who take shorter or longer, and there's a lot of variables in play (location, delays in certain steps, etc.). That being said, the range shouldn't be so dramatic as 4-5 months all the way to 2+ years. Tbh, I think it really all boils down to how proactive each person that handles your file is.

• Mkebdani
        Mkebdani commented
        Editing a comment
        Totally agree. The shortage of cbp officers is all over media outlets and yet the are making it difficult.

• Anyone else wonder if there is a 3rd party into the hiring process that delays it? Im only 6 months in and 50% completed (which I guess is considered fast), but I do feel like they are prolonging this process when they say they need people.

Comment

• Evolution81
        Evolution81 commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't try to make sense of the process...you will just go insane trying to figure it out

• NYJRM10
        NYJRM10 commented
        Editing a comment
        From what I understand, most of the hiring process is "third-party" with the exception of the SI and Poly. The delays I have seen in my experiences have been in the dissemination of the third party information to the MHC and then the processing time for the MHC to sign off on said info. But yea, it's the Federal government. Don't try to make sense of the "process". My first application in 2014 took 18 months to get to the Poly phase and I didn't have any issues with med or psych while others who I applied with flew through the process.

• I just took my SI. Was nervous when answering the questions but got through them. I was straight forward and added details, I never changed my answer and stuck with it.

Did fingerprinting which took almost an hour since their system was having problems. I ended up chatting with the officers about CBP and their history etc. cracked a few jokes here and there with them.

I’m a bit worried if I did bad on the SI. I got no verbal pass and they said I’ll hear back from the hiring center through e-mail. I’m guessing I’ll receive the NOR tomorrow? I was reading some people got a verbal pass right after the SI which made me think I failed.

There was no right or wrong answer correct? They’re testing if you’ll doubt yourself and change your answer? I tend to overthink interviews in general and thinking how I could of answered it better etc.

Crossing my fingers I did fine.

Recieved an email to schedule my PFT-1 (today) 02/06/19
      SI today 02/06/19
      Medical scheduled for 02/11/19
      Last edited by SPX; 02-07-2019, 12:31 AM.
      CBPO 19-2
      @ 50%

NOR: 12/2018
      Tentative Selection for GS-5: 12/2018
      Turned in EQIP: 02/2019
      SI: 02/2019 (Completed/Green ✓)
      Medical: 02/2019 (Completed/Green ✓)
      PFT-1: 02/2019 (Completed/Green ✓)
      Resubmit EQIP: 03/2019
      EQIP Sent To OPR: 03/2019 (Completed/Green ✓)

Comment

• N.N.
        N.N. commented
        Editing a comment
        Don’t worry, the SI is intimidating, but I believe something like 98-99% of people pass. Unless you say something really stupid, or have a panic attack and don’t say anything at all, you’re usually fine lol.

• LivFreer
        LivFreer commented
        Editing a comment
        SPX Congrats on your progress!

• MrAce
        MrAce commented
        Editing a comment
        The people conducting the SI don’t show much emotion weather you are answering correct or not. After mine they told me to take a seat out there and I will be receiving a notification in a week or so. The. Another officer walked up and said I passed and to come do finger prints. Rule of thumb, if they do finger prints directly after it means you passed.

• Originally posted by O_rod86 View Post
      Hey guys.. Finally some progress!
      Does anyone know if we’re able to eod (port) at the same location we choose, or does it have to be at our current hometown?
      18-2 Announcement GS-9
      11/22/17 - Applied
      12/15/17 NOR of vacancy
      12/28/17 - Medical Exam
      1/26/17 - PFT 1
      1/30/18 - eQIP released to OPR
      3/8/18 - SI/Fingerprints
      3/9/18 - SI NOR
      5/18/18 - Polygraph - Valley Stream
      5/29/18 Contacted to continue Poly
      6/7/18 Continuation poly - DC
      6/18/18 - Polygraph NOR
      7/19/18 - eQip released again
      7/30/18 - Received cards to redue Fingerprints
      8/7/18 - Fingerprints received
      8/10/18 - Background started
      10/30/18 - BI Met with Coworkers
      11/14/18 - Met with investigator
      11/26/18 BI spoke with references
      2/6/19- Background Cleared
      ?- Drug Test
      ?- Referred to TSU
      BAckground cleared 2/5/19 drug test 2/7/19 . Expect a phone call soon

Comment

• bonds525
        bonds525 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sweet, my background cleared Saturday and I went to LA for my drug test today

• O_rod86
        O_rod86 commented
        Editing a comment
        So they contacted you the day after it cleared to schedule for the test ? bonds525
        Last edited by O_rod86; 02-07-2019, 01:14 AM.

• bonds525
        bonds525 commented
        Editing a comment
        O_rod86 they call you like a day or two before and you have like a day and a half to get it done, can’t reschedule, and they chose a contracted location closest to you, for me it was an hour away.

• O_rod86
        O_rod86 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok cool. Thanks .. patiently waiting for the call! It’s good to see ppl are seeing some progress.

• Has anyone completed PFT-1 test for 19-2

Comment

• Briscora
        Briscora commented
        Editing a comment
        Mine is scheduled for the 13th

• javi87
        javi87 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m 19-2. I completed my PFT1, SI and medical all by 1/7/19. Just waiting for my eQIP (which I submitted back in December 2018), BI, poly and drug test.

• Hal29
        Hal29 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nope applied long before that. Still waiting and waiting and waiting.

• cbradshaw310
        cbradshaw310 commented
        Editing a comment
        Im 19-3 and have completed my SI(passed), EQIP(not cleared yet), Medical(not cleared yet) and my PFT1 is scheduled for 2/19.

• 18-9.........waiting..........waiting................ waiting............oh is that the poly scheduling email? oh it's not........... waiting......... waiting...... waiting..........

Comment

• raudy06
        raudy06 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hal29 yeah but at least you arent waiting on Poly dude,

• Hal29
        Hal29 commented
        Editing a comment
        No your right. Just waiting 9 months on bi.

• raudy06
        raudy06 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hal29 9 months? didnt you finish you BI like in September?

• Hal29
        Hal29 commented
        Editing a comment
        My bi started in may completed in September. I've been sitting at 63% since may.

• javi87 how was the PFT1 fitness test for you is there a certain. Score to achieve

Comment

• TheSlammer
        TheSlammer commented
        Editing a comment
        What I plan on doing is trying to hit the PFT2 as close as possible before the PFT1. Im not much of a runner, but gotta start somewhere.

• V_AntCBP
        V_AntCBP commented
        Editing a comment
        javi87, holymoly, how did you do 50pu/38su and still passed the steps? were you in the Seal or Special Forces or something? You are Rambo man, I did 14pu, 21su, and barely passed the steps.... smh....
        Last edited by V_AntCBP; 02-08-2019, 11:26 AM.

• javi87
        javi87 commented
        Editing a comment
        V_AntCBP Prior service from one branch and currently serving reserves in another branch:

• douglasgene1
        douglasgene1 commented
        Editing a comment
        the guy told me to stop, he told me "you dont get extra credit so stop" hahah

• Thanks for the info. How hard is this 5 min step test I know that it takes the wind out of you the first time practicing it. I will practice some more. I figure if I can complete 5 min step test at 16 inch step the 12 inch step should be a bit easier

Comment

• N.N.
        N.N. commented
        Editing a comment
        It's not horrible, it's just a weird movement more than anything if you're not used to it. Practice is definitely the best prep, there's a cadence video on Youtube that's very helpful.

• TheSlammer
        TheSlammer commented
        Editing a comment
        My problem is fibding a 12" step. I have a 6" but thats it.

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        Go to the building supply store and pick up 2-3 6 inch concrete blocks. Place them under your 6 inch step. Problem solved.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8523 users online. 271 members and 8252 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X