300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey all,

I applied to this posting last week, and just got my tentative selection notice that I have 3 days to accept. https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/517267300/

It was listed as "Location Negotiable After Selection", and so far I haven't seen anywhere listing possible locations (aside from the ones in the announcement that have incentives). So it looks like I just need to go through the whole process, and I pretty much won't have any ideas until I'm at the end? Or will I get to put in some preferences early on?

Comment

• KevinMO91
      KevinMO91 commented
      Editing a comment
      As a VRA applicant you'll be able to request where you wanna work, they'll call the port and see if the port has any openings if it does they will offer it to you. They will start with a list of critical ports and then ask you what you want. I asked for Newark and got Newark.

• BradHP
      BradHP commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome, thanks. I'm in Delaware, I know my chances of Wilmington are probably pretty low, but I'd assume there would be a decent chance for Philly. I'd even be good with Newark, my parents live near there so I could stay with them on work days and then drive home when I'm off.

• Originally posted by JonRob View Post
    I got the TSU letter!!!
    Hopefully they call with an offer soon.
    A Christmas miracle
    what port?
    With honor and integrity, we will safeguard the American people, our homeland, and our values.

Comment

• Well, this weekend will mark 200 days since my Structured Interview with still no end in sight with the wait for my poly... I'm sure there's a handful of people who've waited this long between these 2 steps, but probably not many. The frustration is pretty real at this point.

Comment

• JMontero
        JMontero commented
        Editing a comment
        N.N. Man when that poly date drops u better pass because after all the comments and complaining if you don't everyone if going to bomb your posts lol.

• N.N.
        N.N. commented
        Editing a comment
        JMontero well I’ve never done anything that would warrant failing a poly, so I’m not worried at all about actually taking it. only way I’d get a fail is if I end up being one of the unfortunate ‘horror stories.’ Fingers crossed that doesn’t happen

• JMontero
        JMontero commented
        Editing a comment
        N.N. Best of luck when your time comes!! hopefully all the wait would be worth it

• ajs0922
        ajs0922 commented
        Editing a comment
        N.N. I was in the same place as you i took my SI back in May and passed had to submit additional paperwork for medical and it finally cleared in June. On December 11th I got the email that my poly was scheduled for the following Tuesday. The last time I had called CBP they told me it would be 3 to six months after my medical clears until I get to schedule my poly. The only thing now holding people back is the shutdown hopefully they resolve it quick and the processes can pick back up. Just hang in there I was at a point the I thought it would never happen, but it did when I leased expected.

• Polygraph scheduled for Jan 21st!

Comment

• N.N.
        N.N. commented
        Editing a comment
        Bro congrats! That gives hope to some of the rest of us long-timers lol. Where are you scheduled to take it?

• logan94
        logan94 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!! It was just changed to Jan 22nd at Dania Beach.

• Well the Government shut down is back on, Trump rejected the short term bill to fund the government until at least Feburary. should be an interesting next 48 hours.

Comment

• JMontero
        JMontero commented
        Editing a comment
        great and here I am waiting to EOD on jan 30. Hopefully this doesn't delay anything atleast eod speaking.

• Evolution81
        Evolution81 commented
        Editing a comment
        it WILL delay your eod...all admin/non essential personnel meaning you jmont(since you're not a leo until you graduate the academy... will be sent home during shutdowns(that means all of FLETC basically also) SMH...prepare for the suck..
        Last edited by Evolution81; 12-20-2018, 03:40 PM.

• KevinMO91
        KevinMO91 commented
        Editing a comment
        JMontero sadly it's true if the government shuts down you wont be going to the Academy until it reopens when I got the call I actually asked them this question and the shutdown could very well push a lot of academy dates back

• JMontero
        JMontero commented
        Editing a comment
        well atleast the house vote won tonight to fund the wall, kinda good news lol.
        Last edited by JMontero; 12-20-2018, 10:53 PM.

• I finally got "The Call"

Comment

• KevinMO91
        KevinMO91 commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats man when is your EOD? I heard they are already into June

• yes they are
      EOD 6/10/19

Comment

• KevinMO91
        KevinMO91 commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah whats interesting is someone here said they arent scheduling people in june yet and yet here we are seeing people getting June EOD. It shoould be refreshing news for people that are still waiting though, as it means they are still hiring and going through the process

• Evolution81
        Evolution81 commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats bro..been at Fletc during the summer ..ugh was hoping to be therr before summertime...Black flag days (too hot)****s up everything some days

• Hal29
        Hal29 commented
        Editing a comment
        Kevin that is because the ones who sit behind a desk really have no clue. They tell ya one thing and something else happens. Just overpaid mouthpieces.

• Hal29
        Hal29 commented
        Editing a comment
        No worries evolution. At this rate it could be fall for us. Seems they fill a month in about 2 weeks or less.

• Now I have to wait 6 months to start.
      My background was cleared around Dec. 7 and idk what a UA is.

Comment

• Evolution81
        Evolution81 commented
        Editing a comment
        UA= PP test

• Hal29
        Hal29 commented
        Editing a comment
        I just figure by the time I get an offer at this rate I will be walking around with a cane, drinking Metamucil and calling everyone son.....lol.

• Hello: I have decided to pursue CBP over Border Patrol and now I have to decide by Monday the preferred location that was offered. I asked for any where in Florida but was told there were no available. I will be coming in at GS9 with 5 years police experience. Can Anyone provide there feed back on these locations? Quality of living? Overtime? I will be moving with my fiance and daughter who will be about 1 almost two by the time my June 2019 academy is over. My fiance is also in the process with Customs. From what I was told, she can sign a form to be stationed where I will be if we are married. Any one know about this? Sorry if spelling of places is off. I tried my best.

Arizona 33%: Douglass, Lukeville, Nogales, San Luis
      New Mexico (Columbus)
      Texas (Del Rio, Presidio, (Laredo 25%)
      Cali: LAX, San Francisco 25%, Audrodey, Oaty Mesa, (San Ysidro : 25%) Calexico: 25%
      Alaska: (Anchorage)
      Virginia (Dulles)
      Massachusetts (Boston, Logan Airport)
      Vermont (Derby Line, Norton 25%)
      Maine (Houlton)
      New Jersey (Newark)

New York: (JFK) Champlain
      Michigan: (Detroit land border, Sault St Marie)
      Hawaii: Honolulu
      Guam: Saipan
      Us Virgin Islands (Charlotte Amalie, Christiansted)
      Idaho: East port
      Washington State: Seattle, Oroville 25%, Frontier, PT Roberts, Sumas Washington
      Minnesota: Grand portage 25%
      Montana: Raymond, (Sweet Draft 25 %)
      North Dakota: Dunseith, Portal 25%, Pembina 25%

-Best Regards, D. Brown

Comment

• Hal29
        Hal29 commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you a regular announcement, vra? It all comes down to what your looking for. Life style, hobbies, city vs isolation. Best way is to research different locations. Ot varies on ports.

• douglasgene1
        douglasgene1 commented
        Editing a comment
        if you are regular or DH they will push hard for Arizona and Cali

• D.Brown
        D.Brown commented
        Editing a comment
        douglasgene1, I'm not a veteran. The only direct hire I applied for with customs was San Jaun. The rep on the phone informed me that I hey are not placing people in San Juan though. The other locations is what I was offered. They can try to push hard, but how my conversation went, I can select from that list

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        It really depends on what you want for yourself, your significant other and the kid(s).

If you want access to overtime pick one of the major airports or a southern border port. Seattle and Champlain will probably work as well. If you are looking to avoid overtime most of the northern border ports will probably give you the best option to duck OT. Quality of life also really depends on what you are looking for. Most of those Maine, ND, MT, ID and eastern Washington ports are out in the hinterlands...as well as are several southern ports. City ports, are well, city ports. Some of which are going to be expensive to live in. Of course, some of the rural ports also have many hidden costs attached to them and since many of those ports also have limited overtime availability there are quality of life issues there as well.

Further, if swapping out in the future is a concern, places like Boston, Newark, JFK, LAX and Seattle probably lead that list. Most of the other ports, especially the smaller ones sporting XX% incentive bonuses are not highly desired ports and/or ports easily transferred out of.

Good luck with your decision.

As far as a spousal assignment to your given choice of port, good luck with that. OFO typically isn't all that family friendly when it comes to family issues.

• Got the call. Just curious. Has anyone heard things about Otay Mesa? By San Diego. Seems nice but who knows. Most of San Diego housing are condos

Comment

• Camelbak
        Camelbak commented
        Editing a comment
        My brother in law works at the Otay Mesa. He started at San Ysidro, but he definitely prefers Otay Mesa.

• D.Brown Hawaii

Comment

• D.Brown
        D.Brown commented
        Editing a comment
        Thought about it, but I couldnt find any nice housing that appealed to me. Where should I look?

• Camelbak yeah I originally applied to two CBPO positions. I messed up applying to direct hire at first lol. So I applied to the other opening (not direct hire for SW border) and everything else is carrying over it’s just a little delayed. But now that I’m looking.... I don’t know. Otay Mesa and Nogales May be of interest. Hmmm. I’m assuming you don’t know what the hours or days off are lol. I’m just trying to get more insight. Thanks though I appreciate it!!!

Comment

• Looks like they’re trying to get a lot of movement today before the shutdown...

Comment

• Hal29
          Hal29 commented
          Editing a comment
          The funding for the wall passed in the house. So I've heard. But there is more going on.
          Last edited by Hal29; 12-22-2018, 11:33 AM.

• Happy Holidays Ladies and gents,

I just ran into a buddy of mine from the Marines here at the Veterans Affairs. (We both work here) He's currently a police officer here at the VA. He has Border Patrol service under his belt and now hes trying to get back in. He's still in the process waiting for a poly ( A year wait since his si). Looks like the east coast NY/CT/MA area is up to a year wait on poly for some weird reason.

Any one out of CT on here get a poly date in less than 6 months?

Thanks

Comment

• micdrop451
          micdrop451 commented
          Editing a comment
          That place is a "hotspot." Lots of applicants and no investigator likes picking up cases there. You will see once you get to your BI.

• Contacted by contracted background through email. Notified me they started the background. I will be contacted by investigator soon. Glad something shook before the holidays!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6525 users online. 319 members and 6206 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X