Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things are moving smooth so far. However, I imagine the BI is when it'll slow down.

CBPO 19-1 GS-7

Applied- 10/30/18
    Exam- 11/01/18
    NoR- 11/05/18
    TO- 11/09/18
    e-QIP submitted- 11/14/18
    Medical- 11/19/18
    SI- 12/03/18

Comment

• mobyfish
      mobyfish commented
      Editing a comment
      More Like Poly is when it usually slows down. What did you do prior to CBP? It helps if you already have a clearance.

• I missed the call today from TSU. Must not of had good cell service It only rang once and they left a voicemail. Called right back and left a voicemail and again 4 hours later. This wait is killing me!

Comment

• Hal29
      Hal29 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok so you applied after me. Must be 17-11 or 17-12. I'm waiting on my bi to clear. It's getting frustrating but nothing I can do I guess. Almost 15 months now and waiting.

Good luck to you and congrats.

• JCZ
      JCZ commented
      Editing a comment
      I missed the call 4 days in a row, they will keep calling though. I never had anyone answer when I called that number back.

• Eme1357
      Eme1357 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks jcz that makes me feel better! Also Hal keep your head up, everyone is different im already a fed employee with a ts clearence excellent credit and squeeky clean background and i didnt get poly waiver. My process should have been way quicker, but it is what it is. Your day will come! Paitence is key with government...hurry up and wait is the saying.

• d2ep
      d2ep commented
      Editing a comment
      Just leave a voicemail once with your name and application #. They will call you back. If you keep calling them and leave them voicemail they will get little frustrated. (I am saying this from experience lol)

• Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to ask if anyone who is currently in FLETC that has done their pre-academy at Dulles, VA can tell whether through the forum or privately, whether the schedule was M-F and from what time to what time? or if variable? Was it more orientation paperwork or other items as well? I have my EOD for 2/12 then FLETC 2/28... I have some classes for my post-grad that I'm taking now that is suppose to end by the week of 2/23, typically done online, but one of classes is hybrid. So I have to go to some classes back in DE and commute from VA to finish (2.5 hours or so) to attend in the evening time like 5-6 pm.

I've already sent out an email to TSU about what the hours would be if they knew just to see what I can do since I really really don't want to push my EOD-FLETC date to a later time. Unless somehow I could go like EOD 2/28 then two weeks later to FLETC but still maintain Dulles, VA as my port but I didn't really bring that option up since I prefer not to switch my date. So I'm hoping someone at this port has gone through the EOD and can speak on it or if any has asked and knows the answer that would be fantastic! I'm trying to finish this degree when I'm done with FLETC since it would put me at one semester to complete!

Appreciate it!

Comment

• So from what I can tell the base starting pay for G5 is like 30,000. I’m willing to start with whatever but how is someone supposed to move out to there post expecialy in the Northeast on that pay?

Comment

• V_AntCBP
        V_AntCBP commented
        Editing a comment
        gonna have to work up those OT hours, MrAce some ports have lot of OT because short on staffing, I have the same issue, I'm gonna have to take a huge pay cut when accepting the job but it will be better in the long run though,

• mobyfish
        mobyfish commented
        Editing a comment
        You have to visit the OPM website

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...eral-schedule/

and view the pay info for your area.

• V_AntCBP
        V_AntCBP commented
        Editing a comment
        mobyfish good info, thanks, but whats step on the scale? I know GS grades but not sure about step, Do you know?

• mobyfish
        mobyfish commented
        Editing a comment
        From what i read, steps are pay raises as well.. because we get a promotion every year until we reach GS12 , you wont see a change in step until then. Steps 1-3 takes one year each.. so for example. I'm going in as GS7, so in 3 years time ill be a GS12 then another 3 years ill be a GS 12 step 3.

Steps 4-6 is 2 years between each step.. so at 12 years in i should be a GS12 step 6

• So I take it that it still takes about a year to fully go through this process. Do you think it would be bad to take a part time job in the mean time?

Comment

• Hal29
        Hal29 commented
        Editing a comment
        It can take less than a year or well over a year. Everyone is different. I'm going on 15 months.

• JCZ
        JCZ commented
        Editing a comment
        I applied in April and go to FLETC on the 29th...so it can take less than a year, but when they say don't quit your job yet..they aren't kidding.

• Alexr3496
        Alexr3496 commented
        Editing a comment
        I applied Aug last year... Waiting on medical to clear (since may) and background to clear (met bi Oct 9th). And definitely not a bad idea to get a part time job, I would venture to say get a full time job. Try to save as much as possible for when you have to show up.

• mobyfish
        mobyfish commented
        Editing a comment
        Took me about five months the first time around.

• Ewwww the clock 19...lol. not a glock fan. I would carry if i had too. Prefer sig or smith. To bad they could issue the hk usp. But as long as it is reliable and accurate I'm good. Or comfortable. Main reason I'm not a fan of glocks. I would take a Walther p99 as well.
      Last edited by Hal29; 11-14-2018, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• Hal29
        Hal29 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmmm....never had a Smith jam on me and it's all I own. Never had a glock jam either but don't like the way they feel. Never had problems loading either. I guess it is all personal preference. If I carried any glock it would be the 19 gen3. Not a fan of gen4.

• V_AntCBP
        V_AntCBP commented
        Editing a comment
        Right, its personal preference. There shouldn't be any argument which one is better..lol Hal29, Glock has gen5 now, never try it though, I own couple gen4 models, probably I bought a cheap SW, the MP Shield 9mm, its small and good for concealment but its a btch to load the mags, after 4-5 bullets in the mag , couldn't load anymore, had to buy a loader, and also kept jamming, I would not depend my life on this gun. goknights I'm thinking about getting a XDS 9mm, shot them before at the range and liked it,

• douglasgene1
        douglasgene1 commented
        Editing a comment
        i wish they had the sig 226 SRT, sweetest gun i ever carried. I carry everyday with my LTC however when i was in the Army I was able to carry the Sig on duty as an MP. I prefer a full size concealed or non concealed.

• micdrop451
        micdrop451 commented
        Editing a comment
        The sig 226 is an awesome piece along with the 229s. I wouldn't mind getting issued one of them but if we're going down memory lane, I say give me a colt 1911 and I'd be a happy man.

• Recieved the call today, was offered alexandria bay where i applied for, also dulles, jfk miami and ft lauderdale. Eod would be 6/24/2019 with fletc july 11. They were able to work with me as my wife is due with my second child june 2nd. I took the 24 hours to decide.

Comment

• Eme1357
        Eme1357 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks guys! And i know the struggles v ant with one now i cam barely get a work out in. I work second shift so im usually running at 11 at night. Neighbors think ik nuts haha

• ES90
        ES90 commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats. Can't believe they're doing EOD's that far out. I had 2.5 weeks from my call to EOD.

• douglasgene1
        douglasgene1 commented
        Editing a comment
        When did you apply? i think they save slots for people who i applied earlier. I only say that since i notice eods to be alot later for people who applied this year but the people who applied last year have faster eods.

• Eme1357
        Eme1357 commented
        Editing a comment
        I applied oct 17

• Hi,

Anyone here with dates EOD Feb/12/19 and Fletc Feb/28/19?

Comment

• Has anyone gotten scheduled for their poly recently? I’m at just about 5.5 months since passing my SI, a month since finally receiving medical clearance, but still haven’t heard anything as of yet. It seems scheduling seems to come in waves. Hopefully there’s another coming soon!

Comment

• Seminoles44
          Seminoles44 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi N.N.,

Today marks 12 weeks since SI and no poly for me either. Medical cleared right away. Announcement 18-9 from South Florida.

• N.N.
          N.N. commented
          Editing a comment
          Seminoles44 it seems poly scheduling has slowed way down in general, haven’t heard of many people getting scheduled in the past 1-2 months.

• V_AntCBP
          V_AntCBP commented
          Editing a comment
          Seminoles44, I'm 18-8 DH, Tampa FL, 3 months since SI as well. But I got news someone 18-8 DH was scheduled poly, I'm hoping to get scheduled in the next 3-4 weeks. They finally started processing 18-8 DH.

• RJ_Jersey
          RJ_Jersey commented
          Editing a comment
          same boat as you. im 18-3, you?

haha i feel like an old buck here when i see that CBP has already gotten to 19-1/ 19-2 with their announcements

• Anyone have FLETC date Feb 5th and EOD in Nogales?
        18-2 DH
        11/28/17 - Applied
        12/14/17 - Entrance Exam
        1/11/18 - Med Exam
        1/20/18 - e-QIP submitted
        2/7/18 - Fitness Test
        3/9/18 - e-QIP Rejected/Resubmitted
        3/21/18 - e-QIP Released to OPR
        4/19/18 - SI
        5/22/18 - 1st Poly (rescheduled)
        7/19/18 - 2nd Poly (verbal pass)
        7/24/18 - NOR Poly(pass) & e-QIP Recert.
        7/26/18 -Drug Test
        7/30/18 - e-QIP released to OPR
        8/1/18 - TSU email
        8/2/18 - Investigator Email
        08/18 & 10/18 - BI Meet
        01/18/19- EOD- Nogales
        02/05/19 - FLETC
        Signed for Provisional Clear.

Comment

• JCZ
          JCZ commented
          Editing a comment
          congrats on EOD
          Last edited by JCZ; 11-15-2018, 03:41 PM.

• SteenBean
          SteenBean commented
          Editing a comment
          I am also 18-2 (not DH), FLETC Feb 7th, not in Nogales though. Our timelines look very similar.

• Lagune
          Lagune commented
          Editing a comment
          None but I will be in FLETC 11/29/18 so if you have any questions once I’m there let me know. I’m JFK

• dbnicole
          dbnicole commented
          Editing a comment
          Moloaay No, I believe we receive our confirmation emails two weeks EOD date. I'm hoping by first week of Jan

• Got a call from a Background Investigator, I am assuming he is making contact with my references. I guess this is good news...I still have to submit my requested medical info and VA medical records.

Comment

• Would anyone be able to tell me if I applied for direct hire if I would be able to ask to stay in my city as i noticed they have application here now and due to my wife growing in her career, it will be harder for us (specially her) to just leave everything behind including her career just so that I can achieve my goals and dreams.??

Comment

• JMontero
            JMontero commented
            Editing a comment
            DH is only for sw border, if you want MIA you have to re-apply for a reg announcement. It happened to me, I ask for MIA and was told that it wasn't an option that i had to re-appy to another announcement.

• TonyJones
            TonyJones commented
            Editing a comment
            From what you said, I suggest reapply to regular announcement man, lately, things transfer over pretty fast, I think its best if you wait another 2-3 months than your wife lose her growing career, gotta start all over for you. It will be ok if she finds another job right the way, but if she can't, she's going to blame you whenever you guys mad at each other. You may have to retake entrance if you took it prior August 5th, but its pretty much the same as previous one. You will be selected man. CBPO.BPJ, there is not much risk here but wait another few months. You passed the poly, thats the hardest part man, I know someone reapplied and everything transferred over within 6 weeks.

• JPOL
            JPOL commented
            Editing a comment
            Is direct hire the same as frontline hiring? I applied for a frontline hiring position and was offered to choose three locations (jfk,newark,dulles)

Also, I checked my full job announcement and back then it didn't suggest Queens/JFK as a vacant spot (but the new job announcement did). Does this mean if I'm finished with my process, my chances of getting into JFK is higher?
            Last edited by JPOL; 11-16-2018, 12:48 PM.

• mobyfish
            mobyfish commented
            Editing a comment
            Reapply bro. I was in the same boat as you. I didn't know any better and applied to DH18-7 made it through and i turned it down when they called (although JFK was available, they could only offer me southern border) and reapplied to the 19-1 on Oct 1. I had to wait two weeks before i could schedule the exam because they were doing website maintenance but now, about a month and change later im at 75% on the CASS just waiting on Polygraph to transfer over.

Better to wait than to have your wife close up shop and move someplace where finding work for her may be impossible.

• Hey what's up guys, I'm new here. I actually made this account awhile ago but long story short I recently got done active duty in the Army as a 31E, I'm currently in NJ and am trying to get a CBP job in either Newark or Philadelphia. I applied under VRA for the GS-9 position and I think compared to most people here my process is moving extremely fast. I just got done my polygraph yesterday (My 2nd one) in NY. I was told verbally that I passed but Im still waiting on results to update The examiner told me it could be anywhere from a week to months. From what I can tell all I really have left is BI and drug test I'm hoping it continues to move by fast. I pretty much finished a majority of the process in the course of 3 months. My timeline so far

VRA GS-9 8-12

Applied-08/06/18
          Tentative Selection Letter-08/10/18
          PFFT- Wavied
          SI- 09/20/2018
          Si Passed- 09/21/18
          Medical-10/05/18
          Medical Passed -10/12/18
          Polygraph scheduled for-10/31/18 (Inconclusive)
          Polygraph Scheduled for - 11/14/18
          Polygraph Verbally PASSED- 11/14/18

CASS APP-50%

Poly-Pending
          BI-In Progress
          Drug-In Progress
          Final Offer-Pending

Comment

• KevinMO91
            KevinMO91 commented
            Editing a comment
            JPOL They do also issue Poly's in Newark. Just because it's closest doesn't mean you'll get it though. My first poly was in Wilmington, DE and this last one was in Valley Stream, NY. The only real interesting thing about both of these Poly's was that I wasn't directly scheduled for them. They were both Polygraphs for someone else that canceled, and then I was offered. I was offered the first one literally the day before I was suppose to take and the 2nd one a week before.

• douglasgene1
            douglasgene1 commented
            Editing a comment
            you will fly by, especially if its in the year. The process for you will be a few months for sure.

• micdrop451
            micdrop451 commented
            Editing a comment
            It will slow down during the field investigation portion of your BI as the investigator has to make contact with your unit and CoC. They will talk to soldiers that worked with you. Depending on how many different units you've been with, that will determine the length of the BI as well as other factors.

• KevinMO91
            KevinMO91 commented
            Editing a comment
            micdrop451 Eh I've only had a couple of units it wouldn't take long to do, and hopefully BI won't hold me up, I'm hoping I get a provisional or something. I am kinda nervous the process is gonna slow down heavily just because of the Holiday season though

Last edited by shawnk; 11-15-2018, 10:46 PM.

Comment

• Just out of curiosity, is it worth it to take the job at say LA, San Fran, or New York? I'm aware of the cost of living in these areas (from NYC, pref JFK) and the cost of living adjustments, but what type of salaries are we looking at? I'm looking at the website at /cbpo-pay-and-benefits, and the average compensation seems to vary from people depending on where they work (if they have certain multiplers and the opportunity to do overtime or not). Does anyone know how much a CBPO makes in say NY or Cali and how many years they've worked to get that salary and what the multiplers are? I see the tables for the CoL adjustments and the GS pay grades, but these numbers that I'm equating seem quite low for a job that everyone says pays "well".

Also, is it worth it to stay at a big port? Would you have a higher chance of promotion at these larger airports vs. smaller port? I don't really prefer to move out to the middle of nowhere or the boonies where the closest Walmart is a 45 minute drive.

Also any thoughts on the Virginia Dulles port?
            Last edited by JPOL; 11-16-2018, 12:11 AM.

Comment

• Hal29
              Hal29 commented
              Editing a comment
              What I don't get is on the application and description it says Nogales I 33% for incentive pay but on the opm website it says 16.75%

• vik2500
              vik2500 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hal29 so for the incentive it is either 25% or 33% of your pay. Depending on what is offered for that port. I received 25% for Laredo, it will be a little over $8k (before taxes) , I will receive that amount once a year for 3 years. If I decide to break contract, I will have to pay back whatever I received.
              I do know the incentives have been lowered, when I applied it was 33% but then dropped to 25% and now I believe it’s down to 15% if it’s being offered. Maybe what you are seeing on the opm website is the percentage for locality pay

• Hal29
              Hal29 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah you could be right on that one. Thanks.

• merlin436
              merlin436 commented
              Editing a comment
              As far as promoting goes there are different schools of thought on the notion of port size and promoting. Some believe that being in a smaller port tends to make one more of a Jack-of-all-trades type and potentially expose a person to experiences typically done by subject matter experts in a larger port. Some believe that larger ports typically have a greater amount of work experience and are more likely to create subject matter experts...leading to the promotion into management of targeted expertise.

My personal belief is that it's easier to promote within a larger port...for a few reasons. One, larger ports have more management and a greater variety of managerial levels. Smaller ports have less management and that management caps out at a lesser level due to the lack of higher-end hierarchical management. So, Officers in larger ports tend to hobnob more amongst management, especially higher level management, which gets those Officers greater notice at the top levels. Which greatly helps with promotion...especially beyond the first level. Larger ports also tend to take better care of their people, at least their favorites. Larger ports tend to eat whatever they want...and smaller ports tend to be stuck eating the left-overs from above.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9508 users online. 381 members and 9127 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X