Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I reapply for a New York post, will I have to restart everything from the beginning? Exam, medical, fitness, SI ?

Comment

• mobyfish
      mobyfish commented
      Editing a comment
      co5518 I'm guessing you were a regular announcement and not a DH?

• co5518
      co5518 commented
      Editing a comment
      mobyfish yes I was a regular announcement

• TFS
      TFS commented
      Editing a comment
      mobyfish So no matter what a DH location negotiable can never get a east coast duty station? I thought that was the purpose of location negotiable. I passed everything and waiting for poly now for my DH application .

*EDIT* I guess see now the differences in announcements, I was under the impression direct hire meant something different. I'm flying very solo on this process other than this site and I'm trying to take it all in. I'll try and figure out the process for re applying to a new announcement. I'm sure there is info floating on these boards about it mid process.
      Last edited by TFS; 11-01-2018, 03:31 PM.

• mobyfish
      mobyfish commented
      Editing a comment
      TFS that is correct. I was DH 18-7 and i made it all the way but turned it down and re-applied. Its only negotiable within the southwest.

• Really getting frustrated with my process at this point. Literally haven't seen ANY movement in months, and nearly 250 days since starting out and I'm still sitting at only 38% complete... All the while, people who applied after me are moving along and many already have EODs. MHC either ignores me, or gives me the runaround when I reach out for updates. Really starting to wonder if it's worth continuing at this point. Especially with the poly that 75% of people fail being the next step (whenever that actually ends up happening). smh...

CBPO 18-5 [Direct Hire] - Current CASS Progress: 38%

Applied: Feb. 4, 2018
    Entrance Exam: Mar. 12, 2018
    Exam Notice of Results: Mar. 22, 2018 PASSED (scored 88)
    Tentative Selection Letter: April 9, 2018 (GS-07)
    e-QIP Submitted: April 12, 2018
    e-QIP Rejected: April 18, 2018 (corrected, re-submitted same day)
    Medical Exam: April 23, 2018 - Pending Additional Info
    PFT-1: April 23, 2018 - PASSED
    2nd e-Qip Rejection: May 3, 2018 (corrected, re-submitted same day)
    3rd e-Qip Rejection: May 8, 2018 (corrected, re-submitted same day)
    e-Qip Released to OPR: May 9, 2018 - PASSED
    Structured Interview: June 6, 2018
    SI NOR: June 7, 2018 - PASSED
    Request for Additional Medical Info: June 28th, 2018
    Fingerprint Card Request: July 11th, 2018, completed/submitted July 16th 2018
    Submitted Additional Medical Info: July 19th, 2018 - Pending Review
    Polygraph: Pending
    Background Investigation: In Progress
    Drug Test: In Progress
    Final Offer: Pending
    EOD: Pending
    FLETC: Pending

Total Timeline Length to Date: 248 days
    Last edited by N.N.; 10-10-2018, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• Amyymoreno
      Amyymoreno commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m 18-5
      I’m still waiting on my poly exam as well. I’m at 50% in my CASS. Took my SI July 26.. Don’t lose hope, our turn will b up soon !

• solo1
      solo1 commented
      Editing a comment
      N.N. i was told today my file is currently being reviewed by the nurse and i sumbitted additional a month ahead of you just be patient

• V_AntCBP
      V_AntCBP commented
      Editing a comment
      I see that you had issues with Eqip and Medical. Thats why your process takes longer, every issue you have, it takes months to have them review again... hang in there... It will be very bright at the end of the tunnel N.N. and the end of the tunnel is coming for you...I had everything done very fast but I'm waiting on poly too... You will probably be scheduled for poly before me...

• AlexTejada23
      AlexTejada23 commented
      Editing a comment
      I mean I get where you are coming from, but I applied last September literally medical took me from 11/2017 until end of 6/2018 to complete. That definitely was the longest portion and the additional information for medical I submitted on 3/2018. 375 days before I got my EOD/FLETC dates. I would just wait it out. I mean you only have a few phases left. Just wait it out.

• 18-6 (originally 18-1 DH) received the call today with an EOD not until April 2 of next year, academy 4/17 - 8/21. The usual AZ and CA border locations, LAX were all available, and I was able to get my home SFO with a 25% incentive. So it’s true that they can offer locations that are currently available even they were not originally listed on the corresponding job announcement, as long as it’s not a DH announcement.
    My 18-1 DH application started out 10/31/17 and I got the first call within four months. Not realizing the location selection limitations of direct hire, I had to decline, reapply and wait for my results to transfer over. It took nearly half a year for my poly to transfer to the new application after several follow-up attempts on my part.
    I am very glad the wait is over. Constantly checking for updates was not fun. Good luck to all of you in the process!

Comment

• TESLA3
      TESLA3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Audubon Congratulations!! I hope that SFO will still be available when it is my turn to choose. Looking forward to working together

• co5518
      co5518 commented
      Editing a comment
      Audubon ill be at the academy the same dates. its soo long from now but at least we finally got the job!

• SimpleLifeCA
      SimpleLifeCA commented
      Editing a comment
      Congratz! And that location availability info is very helpful. Thanks

• CBPO.BPJ
      CBPO.BPJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey congrats! i'm 18-6 also and i have my poly scheduled for in a few days... I hope all goes smooth so I can start as ASAP.. Again congrats!

• Can’t understand why people apply for this job and back out and re apply for a different location? Like are you all serious about the job or no? Plenty of uswould be happy to get on anywhere

Comment

• Sheridan1
      Sheridan1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Direct Hire isn't a CBP only program. There's DH announcements for many agencies and they all mean the same thing. If you read what qualifies for DH and what it is, it doesn't say the hiring process is expedited.

• JMontero
      JMontero commented
      Editing a comment
      douglasgene1 i agree with u,when i applied last year there was only DH o a specific state/port there was no location neg, what they offered me isnt my preffered location but i knew what i applied for and i also have a family and they knew before hand what we where getting into if i was offered a job. why decline an offer that you asked for and had the specific information in front of you? Im thankful that i was lucky enough to get my foot on the door now is just work to get the port that i want.

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, there's a fair amount of bad information, misleading information, even malevolent information out there with regards to this job. Even if a person gets good information, it might take him months to gather enough information to make an informed decision.. . changing his mind from his initial choice. And, as far as locations go, the ability to relocate, job duties, overtime availability, quality of management, etc...that all might influence where an applicant ultimately desires to work...and all that isn't readily available or put out with a USAJOBS announcement.

The hiring process, and the job itself, isn't as user friendly as it should be. It is what it is, I guess.

• Evolution81
      Evolution81 commented
      Editing a comment
      guess what not every one is a fresh rookie off the street been at this in the feds for almost 13 years...i have a family and i have the right to choose something that me and my family can tolerate not just some border city in the middle of timbuktu...DHS isnt a perfect agency actually close to last in the annual federal viewpoint survey year after year...so if i am gonna go back its on my terms and im going to make sure my quality of life is straight...i worked for dhs 9.5 years
      Last edited by Evolution81; 10-12-2018, 09:06 PM.

• Structured interview 10/18/18 with polygraph and fingerprints 10/19/18!

Comment

• raptor170
      raptor170 commented
      Editing a comment
      N.N. Not to my knowledge. I completed medical on 10/4/18 I just know I got the email for SI and upon successfully completing the SI, I will do the Polygraph the next day along with fingerprints.
      Last edited by raptor170; 10-10-2018, 05:22 PM.

• Hou33guy
      Hou33guy commented
      Editing a comment
      There is hope for some lol

• Evolution81
      Evolution81 commented
      Editing a comment
      whats your 20?

• raptor170
      raptor170 commented
      Editing a comment
      Evolution81, Virginia

• raptor170 what's your announcement ? Is this a reapply ? That's crazy fast man

Comment

• V_AntCBP
      V_AntCBP commented
      Editing a comment
      douglasgene1 no, never been in service... if I have, I probably would be a factory manager by now and not be in this process... my job has been hiring all military vets to be factory managers. It's been very bad lately at work. No further comment.

• douglasgene1
      douglasgene1 commented
      Editing a comment
      raptpr170
      did you just recently get out of the service? cause i did the VRA rout and mine is kinda slow haha

• raptor170
      raptor170 commented
      Editing a comment
      douglasgene1 No I got out in 2014.

• douglasgene1
      douglasgene1 commented
      Editing a comment
      damn your packet was fast, mine is on turtle speed lol

• UPDATE: after re-sending my fingerprint packet that was requested from me, i was told it was received. a few days later I got an email that my case manager was changed to a new one and I also got an email to re-certify my EQUIP, already did so. my progress went back to 50% while they revise it. I'm assuming it will go back to 68% again once it gets sent back to OPR again. still waiting for BI to contact me. can he hurry up? lol

here is my timeline if it helps anybody:

12/07/17: Applied for CBPO 18-3 -location negotiable ( my desired port is JFK)
    12/18/17: Entrance exam
    01/10/18: Entrance Exam NOR- Passed.
    01/18//18 tentative selection letter
    01/23/18 Medical test –passed-cleared within a couple of weeks
    01/27/18: EQUIP sent
    03/02/18-Fitness test-passed
    03/14/18: EQUIP rejected/ re-certified same day
    03/16/18: EQUIP rejected/re-certified same day
    03/21/18-EQUIP sent to OPR
    05/02/18: SI interview and finger prints (finger prints were not good, had to send them again)
    05/03/18: SI NOR-Passed
    09/07/18: POLY-RECEIVED VERBAL PASS.
    10/09/18: EQUIP sent back to me for re-cert, I sent it back 10/10/18
    BI: In Progress
    Drug Test: In Progress
    TSU: ??
    Final Offer/ “THE CALL”: ???
    EOD:??
    FLETC:??

Comment

• raudy06
      raudy06 commented
      Editing a comment
      1RidgeRunner7 this is the message i got:

" Fingerprints are required to facilitate the initiation of a background investigation, a pre-employment requirement for all applicants. If time and resources permitted, you may have had your prints collected at the time of your structured interview. Unfortunately, prints cannot be captured on all applicants and on occasion those collected may not transmit correctly. To date, we do not have valid prints on file for you. As a result, we require you to complete the fingerprint cards I have placed in the mail today."

so they sent a packet with two fingerprint cards and i had to go to my local PD to take them and mail it back.

• 1RidgeRunner7
      1RidgeRunner7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, how long after they hit you with that email? Took me a few times to get both of my ring fingers scanned after the interview. It kept showing red, then finally the guy said it was fine even though red still flashed. He told me the computer “got them.” Hope I don’t get slap with the same thing.

• raudy06
      raudy06 commented
      Editing a comment
      1RidgeRunner7 they gave me like a week to get them done. i got them done and sent them overnight to make sure it was there on time. then i just got an email saying that they were received so im assuming they are good. i hope.

• Nycguy718
      Nycguy718 commented
      Editing a comment
      I went thru the same thing lol. BI called me about 3-4 weeks after I received the email saying my prints were received.

• waiting on polygraph results for about 7 weeks . the polygraph portion never changed till today . It reads :

You will be notified via e-mail of you polygraph results and application status

it doesn't say if I passed or not in the app ..... is that good or bad ????

Comment

• micdrop451
      micdrop451 commented
      Editing a comment
      No news is good news. Stand by.

• Originally posted by MrAce View Post
    Can’t understand why people apply for this job and back out and re apply for a different location? Like are you all serious about the job or no? Plenty of uswould be happy to get on anywhere
    Right, because moving your family to Anchorage, Alaska, or Pembina, North Dakota is the same as Detroit, New Orleans, or Seattle.

A lot of people also apply and they say the location they live near is unavailable, and while waiting a year or more suddenly that location is available in a new announcement. The agency doesn't pay for your move.

I'm desperate for a new job myself, but don't put yourself in a position you will hate and be stuck there. It might be tough to get out. At least be sure you can tolerate it. I had a friend who has a BPA and he didn't care but got hired for McAllen, one of his classmates went to Marfa. He tells me all the time how lucky he is, and it was a real eye opener how I should think not just about the money, the job, but also life outside the job.

Not all locations are equal. Even if you like remote locations, or cold locations, or island locations. There is probably one that is best suited to what you like, and you should try to get what will keep you happiest the longest.
    Last edited by 2ndXthecharm; 10-11-2018, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• Does anyone know if Border Patrol uses the same HR people as OFO? I believe they both HR departments are located at the MHC. I'm just surprised because my BPA application is two months old and I already have done the test, medical, fitness, and have my interview scheduled. My CBPO application all I've done is my test, medical, and fitness, and it is ten months old. Haven't even gotten an SI scheduled.

It was my understanding they both need people badly. I'm just baffled why one might be done by the end of the year and the other seems to be on a three year trajectory.

Comment

• N.N.
        N.N. commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, OFO, BP and Air/Marine operations all go through MHC. Merlin is right, Border Patrol has a greater hiring need, and in many ways is the "favorite child" agency of the current administration. It sounds like BP applications are definitely being expedited ahead of OFO.

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        OFO has pretty much been the redheaded stepchild of DHS/CBP from the beginning.

But, yeah...I don't imagine that the fact that Trump likes to snuggle up to Border Patrol and ICE portends much positive for OFO in the near future...especially since OFO sucks at self-promotion and creating dependency.

• 2ndXthecharm
        2ndXthecharm commented
        Editing a comment
        I understand that BP has a far greater need. I was under the impression that OFO was also in need. They haven't even been able to fill their quotas currently if I read the reports correctly. I'm not upset, as much as I am surprised. The OFO application is going at the pace of, or even a tad slower, than some of my other applications with other agencies who aren't in as dire manpower constraints.

Figured BP = Sprint, OFO = Jog, Other Apps = walk, and DSS = crawl :P

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, one thing that needs to be understood is that overtime in OFO usually has a direct bearing on staffing levels. Fully staffed ports typically need and spend much less in overtime. It is also true that the overall agency overtime budget really doesn't change much when their is a hiring dump. It usually ends up just watering the overtime soup even more to thin it out to go around to more Officers.

That basically means two things...in the ports they typically want fully staffed to avoid paying overtime in...they work hard to keep those ports fully staffed. In the ports where they want to spend overtime...they are much less likely to push aggressively to fill those ports because extra staffing to them means a smaller piece of the overtime pie to go around to everyone at the port.

The BP's overtime system is much more universal, even and less influenced by staffing levels. Extra staffing for them just means an increased overtime budget. To them though that's figured into the cost of doing business.

• Finally got my polygraph date, after explaining my moving situation and being told I would be redirected to the Tucson agency, they moved the date to Oct 25th. in D.C. Lets hope all goes well.

Comment

• Foxx310
        Foxx310 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have mine on the same day, different state though.

• Best of luck y'all- unfavorable poly results for me. Hope to apply again after 2 years. Not sure what went wrong with my clear background. I was super nervous like I was at my SI. Wishing success for y'all in the process.

Comment

• N.N.
        N.N. commented
        Editing a comment
        So sorry to hear. where did you end up taking the poly?? Was your experience similar to all the “horror stories”?

• Thenewguy90
        Thenewguy90 commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you get disqualified or he only told you you failed?

• HHIsland
        HHIsland commented
        Editing a comment
        Thenewguy90 The examiner never verbally gave me results- he said results are up to QC. I'm DQed unfortunately, with no option to appeal.

• So my polygraph was 6 hours long 18-7 here and he told me he could not pass one question so he wanted me to admit to something so that they could re test me but i had nothing to admit. So my examiner said he’d try to get me a re test after he sent my results to QC and my coordinator should contact me within a week or so.

Comment

• TESLA3
        TESLA3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good Luck!!

• Evolution81
        Evolution81 commented
        Editing a comment
        sounds like he is playing the CBP poly mind games with you .....i wouldnt worry about it

• Joshwhity
        Joshwhity commented
        Editing a comment
        Where did you take yours at?

• MrAce
        MrAce commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like mind games man, I wouldn’t sweat it. Even tho they are mind games they still get to ya, hang in there

• 17-8 Blaine, WA.

Applied June 2017.

Final selection September 2018.

EOD 10/31. Academy 11/16/2018 - 4/1/2019.

​​​​​Sometimes there were months of waiting in between communications. Just be patient and don't quit your day job until you absolutely know.
      Last edited by MyEDCisaGuitar; 10-13-2018, 10:17 PM. Reason: Corrected month of selection

Comment

• raptor170
        raptor170 commented
        Editing a comment
        What type of bonus did you get for that location?

• Evolution81
        Evolution81 commented
        Editing a comment
        man they want you to report in less then 2 weeks..wtf

• MyEDCisaGuitar
        MyEDCisaGuitar commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry I meant September. Edited. There wasn't any incentive and location pay wasn't anything really. Just going to have to work my way up.

• douglasgene1
        douglasgene1 commented
        Editing a comment
        at least they didnt make you wait until 04/2019 to attend the academy, gives me some hope for an early academy date lol. i applied 10/1/2017

also what places did they offer you?

• Has anyone that went thru medical review and had to submit additional paperwork gotten cleared recently?

Trying to see if there’s an ‘average’ wait people are seeing these days. Med Review was saying before that reviews typically take 8 weeks, I can’t imagine that’s still the case though. 13 weeks and counting for me at this point...
      Last edited by N.N.; 10-15-2018, 03:08 PM.

Comment

• N.N.
        N.N. commented
        Editing a comment
        solo1 have you gotten cleared yet? You submitted your info a month ahead of me so you should be right at about 4 months now.

• MyEDCisaGuitar
        MyEDCisaGuitar commented
        Editing a comment
        I had to take some extra tests due to an amputated middle finger, then another to prove I don't have asthma.

Probably 3months in between each review from submission received notice and approval.
        Last edited by MyEDCisaGuitar; 10-15-2018, 09:48 PM. Reason: Typo

• solo1
        solo1 commented
        Editing a comment
        N.N. nope not yet hopefully soon my 4 months in a week

• Dcherise18088
        Dcherise18088 commented
        Editing a comment
        21 weeks so far and still no word. Every time I email them they give me a different wait time. The first two emails said up to 8 weeks and sometimes longer, then it was up to 10 weeks, then the last one said "up to 15 weeks AND sometimes longer"

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7028 users online. 204 members and 6824 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X