Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I live in the dfw area, did my si there as well. My mother-in-law worked dfw for 18 years. I wouldn't mind working there as it would be an easy commute and would save on cost for eod. But honestly would love Arizona for the change in scenery. Plus I think you get paid more with the incentive I az so Im very torn between the two. Very torn.

Comment

• douglasgene1
      douglasgene1 commented
      Editing a comment
      They have security, Police and DHS. Big public events DHS will be there for terroristic threats

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hal,

You seem to want to chase money and excitement.

Most of that, to the extent that OFO has any, is on the southern border. Major airports usually have the money...but the cost will be monotonous work. Most other ports, like your Montana ports, won't be killing it in either making money or doing much of any real interest.

• Hal29
      Hal29 commented
      Editing a comment
      @merlin

Making money. Well I want to make money yes, but what I want to be around an environment that interest our hobbies. As for job excitement? I just want to be hands on. If airports offer more than just stamping passports it might be the way I go. I love the dfw area but it lacks things to do. But I'm thinking if the money is better and not getting over worked. It may be the better route for the family. We can always explore. Then if I want a change over time. Like you said it is easier than be stuck at say Nogales. I'm leaning towards airport right now. But who knows whether it will even be offered. We will see when the time comes.

Thanks

• Hal29
      Hal29 commented
      Editing a comment
      As long as I can live outside of Houston. I hate city life. I enjoy the country life....lol.

• douglasgene1 so I’m apart of the same hiring group as you and could you tell me what forms I need for them
    as I have a rating as well??

Comment

• raptor170
      raptor170 commented
      Editing a comment
      douglasgene1 ok so I am at 60% and have degenerative disc disease along with sciatica. So I would basically go to a NON-VA doc, have them clear me and thats it? I didnt have to type anything when I got out. In fact, I got my rating about 3 years from my date of separation. I never got checked out when I was in service (Not that I know of) so I will not have any papers from when I was active duty. How long was medical process for you from start to finish?

• douglasgene1
      douglasgene1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya i went to to the regular doctor and had them fill out the paperwork they sent me.
      just get a copy of the VA rating sheet they send you every year, you can also go to the ebenefits page sign in go to the compensation page and print it out.

10/4/2017 my 1st medical for DHS
      11/15/2017 DHS emailed me back stating they needed more info
      01/02/2018 DHS sent me papers to see doctors and get filled out
      01/12/2018 received documents
      03/2/2018 additional paperwork needed
      03/10/2018 received documents
      05/17/2018 additional paperwork needed
      05/24/2018 received paperwork
      07/13/2018 medical cleared

This was a very long process for me on the medical, after the medical i had a Poly on 07/30/2018, passed and now im in the background phase.

• raptor170
      raptor170 commented
      Editing a comment
      douglasgene1 wow that is a long time. So any advice for me to streamline my process and not have it take 9 months?

• douglasgene1
      douglasgene1 commented
      Editing a comment
      once you get passed the medical phase it goes by quicker for sure. Ive seen people on here do the polygraph before the medical cleared but idk how to stream line anything. I get that DHS wants you to pass all the medical so they arent held liable, however at the end of the day they have hundreds of people doing their own thing in the hiring process so you never know how long the process is. The process wont get any better with all the hiring expos.

• 18-11.. Passed my fitness but my medical is on further evulation according to the eas website since mid september. Why doesn’t my app show anything ?

Comment

• Hal29 I’m in the same boat as you but only I live in Austin,TX and trying to get info on my nearest Airport or finding out if I will have to travel. But Texas is awesome with lots to do and see.

Comment

• Radio Raheem
        Radio Raheem commented
        Editing a comment
        Texas is very awesome!!! I enjoyed my time there. I really enjoyed Austin!!

• Hou33guy
        Hou33guy commented
        Editing a comment
        Hal29 come on down to Houston, you will love it here, guaranteed

• I’m a ninja
        I’m a ninja commented
        Editing a comment
        Houston is too much traffic lived here my whole life and ready to move lol

• I know i've been asking a lot questions lately, here's my next one!!

With the exams not being transferred over prior to August 5th, how likely is it for someone to re-take the exam, score pretty decent (Lets say 85+) and not receive a TSL for the new announcement they applied for? Asking for myself.. lol
      DH 18-7
      5/04/18: Exam
      5/9/18: NOR
      6/11/18: Medical
      6/12/18: Fitness
      6/20/18: SI
      9/20/18: Polygraph
      9/24/18: BI cleared
      10/02/18: Drug Test
      10/02/18: TSU EMAIL
      10/03/18: Offer GS7 SWB
      EOD: Feb 22nd, 2019
      03/09/19-07/15/19 (I Turned it down)
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------
      10/01/18:19-1 (Queens, NY)
      10/12/18: Exam
      10/23/18: NOR
      10/29/18: TSL
      11/21/18: Phone Call (JFK) EOD 04/04/19
      FLETC 4/19 - 08/23

Comment

• mobyfish
        mobyfish commented
        Editing a comment
        J-rod65 on usajobs just scroll down a bit once you click the listing and it tells you exactly

• douglasgene1
        douglasgene1 commented
        Editing a comment
        this may be a dumb question but what is TSU email?

• mobyfish
        mobyfish commented
        Editing a comment
        douglasgene1 the one that states your application is with the training and scheduling unit.

"Congratulations! You have been referred to the Training and Scheduling Unit. Once we reach your name and have an available vacancy we will contact you. The offer is based on operational need determined by the Agency. After a review of your file it was determined you are missing the following forms."

• KeepingFaith83
        KeepingFaith83 commented
        Editing a comment
        Why did you turn the academy dates down? And, now that you applied for 19-1, does it start your whole process over?

• Everything has finally cleared on the CASS app! Been in Med review since February 15! Just waiting on the call now

Comment

• Hal29
        Hal29 commented
        Editing a comment
        Wish I was at that point.

• TESLA3
        TESLA3 commented
        Editing a comment
        one more step to go!!! awesome !!

• Finally got the call for Polygraph today 10/02/18, unfortunately i'm in the process of moving from VA to AZ and they scheduled me in D.C for the testing dates after i'll have moved across the country. I emailed my case manager about this move a month ago and told him the circumstances and dates involved, but it didn't make much difference evidently. The Poly scheduler heard my situation, thanked me for the prompt response and said she will forward my assessment to AZ and that I would have to wait for them to contact me now. At this point I hope I didn't just back seat myself for another 4 months.

Comment

• Hou33guy
        Hou33guy commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably did

• TonyJones
        TonyJones commented
        Editing a comment
        If its me I would fly back to DC for a day or 2 to take poly... The poly waiting has been brutal... I would never think about rescheduling it....

• JCZ
        JCZ commented
        Editing a comment
        sadly that is not an option in my situation, I wish it was but given the expense of a cross country move and relocation costs I'll have to continue to wait.

• Just got the call from the BI to schedule a interview, so excited. Still pending medical review. That damn medical review. Almost able to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Comment

• N.N.
        N.N. commented
        Editing a comment
        Have you taken your poly already? They told me people can’t continue with any part of the process until medical is 100% clear. It’s annoying how inconsistent this process is from one person to the next. Something tells me they pull half of these “policies” out of thin air.

• Alexr3496
        Alexr3496 commented
        Editing a comment
        @N.N
        I did my poly early July I think the 5th. Just waiting on medical to clear, background and drug. Sorry about the inconsistent CBP

• raudy06
        raudy06 commented
        Editing a comment
        how long from clearing poly to BI interview? and what announcement are you?

• Alexr3496
        Alexr3496 commented
        Editing a comment
        @raudy06
        I did my poly July 5th..so like 3 months but I also had to redo my E-QIP twice so yeah. And I am 17-9...I applied in September last year. Reapplied VRA July this year. ( I originally applied general public other than southern border)

• Just got the call! I’ll be starting in April at jfk!

Comment

• kli0211
        kli0211 commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats what announcement are you?

• d2ep
        d2ep commented
        Editing a comment
        @ co5518 What are your academy dates?

• co5518
        co5518 commented
        Editing a comment
        I think i was 18-4. I reapplied to 18-8 to change my locations but i was able to get jfk so now i don’t have to move across the country. I’ll be in the academy 4/17-8/21

• co5518
        co5518 commented
        Editing a comment
        douglasgene1 they offered spots in Arizona, a couple in California, but i asked for jfk & was able to get it. Not VRA

• 18-11.. But reapplied for 19-1 ( Queens )

There’s not way to switch locations if i was to finish my 18-11? No one ever had the chance to ?

Comment

• JStyleszx
        JStyleszx commented
        Editing a comment
        I wasn’t direct hire, Thanks for the info guys. I can cancel my 19-1 Application now

• Hal29
        Hal29 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm direct hire but my posting also says location negotiable.

• mobyfish
        mobyfish commented
        Editing a comment
        Hal29 negotiable within the southern border lol.. I've completed all the steps.. just waiting on the call for my DH 18-7 announcement, I'll ask for the newly posted JFK in 19-1 to try my luck.. i'm looking at it as wouldnt they just rather place a person somewhere of their choice (if it's available) than to not give them at all? Wasted time and money on the agency's part. but thats just my opinion.

• d2ep
        d2ep commented
        Editing a comment
        @ moby if you only have DH application going on then they will not offer you JFK. But I seen strange things happened and they might give it to you. Or they will tell you to reapply.

• received an email this morning, notified my record has been placed on hold for selective service verification. Is there anyone knows how long going to take for this kind of issue to be clear? Thanks!

Comment

• Lhbc21
        Lhbc21 commented
        Editing a comment
        TESLA3 are you registered for Selective Services?

• raudy06
        raudy06 commented
        Editing a comment
        sorry to tell you but one of my friends has been in selective service verification for about 4 months now, just like medical review, any type of "review" takes the super long. he was reaching out all the time and was getting generic responses although the last one that he got was more positive and they told him they were working on him for him to get a waiver so at least he is no just waiting hopelessly now.

• TESLA3
        TESLA3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Lhbc21 I came to the US at my age 30, already pass the requested age.

• TESLA3
        TESLA3 commented
        Editing a comment
        raudy06 Thank you for the information, wish your friend good luck!!

• Lhbc21 I came to the US at my age 30, already pass the requested age.
      Last edited by TESLA3; 10-03-2018, 10:16 AM. Reason: deleted

Comment

• Receive a general email today from OPR asking for my name and number poly date coming soon
        I can, I must, I will !

Comment

• So if there is a chance to get an airport, that may be what I'm leaning towards the airport. What are the duties of a cbpo in an airport. Is there more than just check I id's and passports?

Comment

• N.N.
            N.N. commented
            Editing a comment
            Luggage searches, some K9 units if you want that. I'm still an applicant myself, from what I've heard from current CBPOs though is that work at a land border crossing is much exciting/interesting overall when compared to an airport. On the other hand though, airport work is much 'easier' and in a better work environment than at the border. In an airport, you're more like a TSA officer with a gun. It's a very controlled environment and everyone you encounter has already been though some level of security. At the border, you don't know who or what is driving up in a vehicle or walking across the bridge. That's more 'typical' law enforcement work.

Personally if I had a choice, I would prefer an airport. Being inside a nice air conditioned building all day with plenty of food options and an overall safer environment sounds more appealing than standing out in a little booth in 100+ degree heat breathing in car fumes in the middle of nowhere all day long.

• TonyJones
            TonyJones commented
            Editing a comment
            Watch Homeland Border Security USA show , you will see what they do... TSA, BP, CBPO, ICE Hal29

• DP23
            DP23 commented
            Editing a comment
            Border Security on Netflix shows you everything they do from ports to Airports etc. It's like 28 episodes & a really good series.

• Hi I’m new to this forum but was wondering if anyone knows if you reapply to new job announcement will the test score transfer over even tough I took it prior to August when the updated the test. Please let me know thank you

Comment

• TonyJones
            TonyJones commented
            Editing a comment
            If you took it before August 5th, It won't transfer over. You would have to retake

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9723 users online. 467 members and 9256 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X