300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FreeAgent View Post
    Nah, I kinda liked the arguments! Makes for good Convo. At the same time it's gets me a little more educated....Lol I'll take with a grain of salt, on who's right or wrong!
    Just to continue the edjamacation for those interested...

An Executive Order was issued in an attempt to align the clearance processes and directs a reciprocal arrangement regarding clearances between Executive Agencies. (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0080630-6.html)

That EO is nifty, but not relevant to the military/civilian transition.

A DOD Security Clearance is typically predicated solely on a NAC or NAC-LC, which is sufficient for a determination on access to national Security information.

Civil Service (and more particularly, law enforcement) positions require a different level of investigation to ascertain "suitability" for employment, even if the position never requires access to National Security information.

What the EO will eventually mean is that agencies like ICE, Secret Service, the FBI, and DEA will have to agree on mutually acceptable benchmarks and adjudication standards for making suitability determinations.

Comment

• The biggest barrier to sharing information from one agency to another is the time. DHS can request the BI done for the DOJ, but in most circumstances by the time they receive it they would have had completed their own investigation a few months earlier. Also different agencies use different software. So when I did investigations for OPM I would use one program, but if I did one for DHS I would have to use a completely different one (talk about a pain in the butt). This leads the agency to not be able to look at different interviews quickly. They have to shuffle through very long written reports (in my case it is well over 300 pages) to find and compare information, further delaying the process. The NISPOM says one investigation would be sufficient for all positions at that level, but it doesn't play out that way in the real world. SSBI's conducted for LEO positions require more information specifically about LE than the typical SSBI for classified access.

As far as whether a current BI is helpful, not really, but it doesn't hurt either. I had just completed an SSBI for my position doing federal BI's four months before DHS started my SSBI, and it still took almost eight months to complete (my first one took almost 7 months), but I have moved around a lot and have had several different employers in the last few years. Most of the time your file is is waiting in a drawer somewhere for a slot to come open or waiting for an available investigator. It only takes about 10-20 hours to complete the field work on a typical SSBI, and the automated checks are received within a few minutes of being inputed into the computer.
      Last edited by kc12; 11-23-2008, 08:09 AM.
      But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by rbakous1 View Post
        Just out of curiosity how long did it take for your background to clear since you have an active TS/SCI? Did you need to meet with an investigator prior clearing? I have an active clearance with the Army and my BI has just begun and in the security office, mine is only a SECRET though.
        My Secret was quick, but my TS took over a year. About 17-18 months. After they got positive feedback they gave me an interim, which was about 6 months in. Took a year for final adjudication after that.

I met with an investigator for CBP also, no matter what you need to meet with one from what I hear. I showed him my paperwork for my clearance and he kept a copy of it. He said as long as nothing has changed I should be OK. So if you have copy, maybe try showing that to him. I don't know if it helped or not, but my background cleared in 2 weeks.
        GEO Pref: MIA
        Written: 8/08 (99 w/VP)
        TO: 9/08
        Pre-employment Forms: Completed
        Medical: Completed
        Fitness: Completed
        VBT: Completed 12/4
        BI: Completed
        Qualifications: Completed
        TSU: 12/4
        EOD: 2/17
        FLETC: 3/12 Class 934

Comment

• Originally posted by miramarnelson View Post
          I will be starting FLETC on jan 5th 2009 through apr 22nd, can someone tell me if it is necessary to take a car to FLETC. I am seriously considering not taking a car up there, does anyone have any inside on that?
          I live in miami also and I am taking my car. I think its better to take my car so I don't have to depend on any one. Lets say I need to go to wal mart to buy some stuff, I just get into my car and go. Also I plan on flying back to miami about once a month, so I am gonna drive to J'ville and take a plane back to miami. I think its the smartest thing to do if you live within driving distance from FLETC.
          CBPO - Miami
          Pre-Employment Forms - completed
          Qualifications - GS 5
          Medical Exam - completed
          Structured Interview - Completed
          Drug Screening - completed
          Background Investigation - Completed
          Fitness - completed

Comment

• Originally posted by USMC3537 View Post
            My Secret was quick, but my TS took over a year. About 17-18 months. After they got positive feedback they gave me an interim, which was about 6 months in. Took a year for final adjudication after that.

I met with an investigator for CBP also, no matter what you need to meet with one from what I hear. I showed him my paperwork for my clearance and he kept a copy of it. He said as long as nothing has changed I should be OK. So if you have copy, maybe try showing that to him. I don't know if it helped or not, but my background cleared in 2 weeks.
            OK thanks. I'm anticipating getting a call soon for that.

Comment

• Does anybody know if Annual & Sick leave are transferable if you move from one federal agency to another ie; Dept of Navy to Homeland Security?

Tested March08
              VBT Completed May08
              Drug test Completed Jun08
              Medical Completed Oct08
              Physical Fitness Completed Aug08
              BI Pending Sep 08
              Last edited by 2g2gn; 11-23-2008, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FIU24 View Post
                I live in miami also and I am taking my car. I think its better to take my car so I don't have to depend on any one. Lets say I need to go to wal mart to buy some stuff, I just get into my car and go. Also I plan on flying back to miami about once a month, so I am gonna drive to J'ville and take a plane back to miami. I think its the smartest thing to do if you live within driving distance from FLETC.
                Do you know if trainees are allowed to bring laptops in during classroom training for note-taking purposes?

Comment

• Originally posted by 2g2gn View Post
                  Does anybody know if Annual & Sick leave are transferable if you move from one federal agency to another ie; Dept of Navy to Homeland Security?

Yes, annual and sick leave will transfer. When you leave agency A, make sure your HR folks are classifying you as transferring to another agency within the federal government. Also make sure there is no break in service (i.e. End agency A on a Tuesday and start with agency B on a Wednesday)....

Comment

• Originally posted by robeans View Post
                    Wow, first you seem to down play the national security sensitivity of what we do, you obviously have no idea.

Second, if it takes a "couple of years" to adjudicate a TS/SCI then something is REALLY wrong.

Very, very few LEO's get any national security "named" clearances, we don't need em.
                    We Robeans, here is the thing, I have been an 1811 for 17 years here and I think I know what I am talking about. Sorry, I don't down play anything and on sensitivity on what "we" do, who is "we" Obviously, I do have a clue since I have been working with legacy INS and legacy Customs before the merge and know what the job is about. If you dont know someone's background, then dont trash it. It can take up to a "couple years" to get completed depending on what your situation is (where you have lived, travelled, etc.)

Comment

• Originally posted by fedcopboston View Post
                      We Robeans, here is the thing, I have been an 1811 for 17 years here and I think I know what I am talking about. Sorry, I don't down play anything and on sensitivity on what "we" do, who is "we" Obviously, I do have a clue since I have been working with legacy INS and legacy Customs before the merge and know what the job is about. If you dont know someone's background, then dont trash it. It can take up to a "couple years" to get completed depending on what your situation is (where you have lived, travelled, etc.)
                      And you intervened because? This had nothing to do with you and you don't know anything about me, so tit for tat. This had nothing to do with Legacy anything.

It can take a couple of years to do a lot of things, but it means that something is messed up. My background is very complicated and I've had Secret, TS and SSBI investigated and adjudicated within months.

Good game.

Comment

• -

Hey RBA, thanks. It seems that Robeans always feels like he/she can state whatever he/she wants but nobody can contradict him/her. Hey Robeans -- remember one thing -- this is a public forum where anyone can post anything (within reason)

Comment

• WELP.

My car smacked into the curb tonight while trying to avoid a fatass box of wires someone left in the road. It's as good as toast for the moment. Could have been worse (I could have been as good as toast I guess), but the bottom line is that I don't have the money to pay for the damage. I mean I can put it on my credit card, but there is no way I can still afford it without a job...you know, unless I finally get one.

I wouldn't suppose TSU takes kindly to begging?
                          "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• CBPO spanish

How hard is the spanish post academy? Is it the same as Border Patrol? I read it was 8 hours a day for 5 weeks, then a do or die test. Has anyone gone through the class that can ellaborate? Thanks

Comment

• I have 2 Questions if anyone happens to know.....1st I am going to take the test for CBP on Dec 2nd in Miami, but I live in NY.Givin I pass the test and go to the next phase, will it be in Miami still or can I continue the prosses in NY ??..

My second question is I read somewhere that CBP will be pre-clearing passengers from Punta Cana, Dominican Republic next year sometime. Pre-clearing passengers from this destination to the U.S like they do in Canada, Bahamas, Bermuda, and Aruba..anyone else here this ???

Comment

• Originally posted by Good2GoDOC View Post
                                I have 2 Questions if anyone happens to know.....1st I am going to take the test for CBP on Dec 2nd in Miami, but I live in NY.Givin I pass the test and go to the next phase, will it be in Miami still or can I continue the prosses in NY ??..

My second question is I read somewhere that CBP will be pre-clearing passengers from Punta Cana, Dominican Republic next year sometime. Pre-clearing passengers from this destination to the U.S like they do in Canada, Bahamas, Bermuda, and Aruba..anyone else here this ???
                                1st off,
                                I have no idea how you get to go take the test at another state so far from your home!... What in the heck did you input on your info for testing? it makes no sense, cause it's not like they can't accommodate you in NY for testing!... I could understand maybe 200 or 300 miles from home within the state, but from NYC to Miami?... seriously!... you need to contact the examining unit and try to get your testing moved to your state, the government can't expect you to pay all of the expenses of airfare and hotel for you to take the written test...
                                Good Luck with that!...

BTW
                                Lots of applicants here apply for ports at different states than those they live on, and they get to go through the process in their states only to leave at the time of EOD.
                                Last edited by yoda; 11-23-2008, 11:34 PM.
                                CBPO
                                Written: 08/29/2007
                                EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7231 users online. 279 members and 6952 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X