Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it normal to be referred to the TSU before the background is complete? I still have not had contact with a BI, however this is the only step I have left. Also, I applied to announcement 18-1. I put JFK as my preferred work site. Will this increase my chances of getting JFK as my location even though it was not listed on my announcement?

Comment

• RJ_Jersey
      RJ_Jersey commented
      Editing a comment
      I assume that is the normal process for those who had elected to enter under provisional clearance

• MP_App
      MP_App commented
      Editing a comment
      I got contacted by my BI 2 weeks after being placed in TSU so you might get that call very soon.

• Hi guys,

Still very early in the process. I got the e-mail where they asked to select option 1 or option 2 for the medical exam. I just replied with option 2 and now have to wait for my medical exam to be scheduled.

Here's the thing I'm worried about. I wear glasses (nearsighted) and have terrible vision without them. What happens if I fail the uncorrected vision portion? Do I have to do the entire medical over again? And how soon can I do it again? I might have to get lasik. I'm thinking I just go ahead and do the medical and if I pass, then good. But if I fail the uncorrected vision part then I'll get lasik and do it again. But if the wait between when I can reschedule the medical again is too long (like 6 months) then I should get lasik done before I go do it the first time...

Comment

• J.C29
      J.C29 commented
      Editing a comment
      Similar to you, I also have bad vision. A few months after I had my medical exam, they sent me paperwork saying I needed to see an optamologist to get re tested, particularly for depth perception. I scheduled an appointment with my dr and he signed off on the forms, and I sent it back to the med review.

• blse
      blse commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, thanks J.C29. To me what this suggests is that I should get lasik BEFORE I go to my first medical. I really don't want to wait months afterwards.

• Well, have my SI coming up in just a couple days. Are the rumors that it's generally easy and pretty much everybody passes true? I feel pretty good going in to it, but don't want to be over-confident either lol.

Comment

• Mike924
      Mike924 commented
      Editing a comment
      Haven't taken it this time around. But 3 years ago it was pretty simple. Basic questions that were similar to what I had been asked on other similar interviews. I guess that's about as detailed as the NDA will let me get.

• Hey guys, I applied under the 18-8 announcement for San Fran or LA. What exactly does 18-8 mean btw? Also are the locations for SFO, and LAX, or is it more towards ports? How much overtime can I get in LA, because making 33k in LA will not cut it. How difficult is the math portion of the entrance exam?

Comment

• epesguerra
      epesguerra commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it means the 8th announcement for 2018

• Sheridan1
      Sheridan1 commented
      Editing a comment
      LA has a locality of around 40k for gs5. Also, pretty sure you could only choose one in your application. Which one did you choose?

• Mike924
      Mike924 commented
      Editing a comment
      Those areas should have plenty of OT.

How hard the math is probably directly correlates to how good you are at math

I got a 95 on the test. I'm not a genius, but I'm not an idiot either...so take that for what it is

• Fed306
      Fed306 commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought we could choose 2 locations, guess not. Think I chose LA. I'm banking on massive OT so hopefully theres plenty to go around.

• inadvertent
    Last edited by Mike924; 06-01-2018, 02:38 PM. Reason: inadvertent
    Florida/Caribbean 14-2 -- GS-07

07/14 Applied to Florida/Caribbean 14-2
    08/14 Notified: qualification to take exam
    09/13/14 Written exam
    10/31/14 NOR 100 (No Vet Points)
    1/9/15 Notice of TS / Grade:GS-07
    2/4/15 Physical Exam and PFT1 PASSED
    2/6/15 Background Released to IA
    2/18/15 VBT/SI (Tampa) PASSED
    4/14/15 Polygraph (Tampa)
    4/30/15 Notified of unsuitable polygraph and removed from consideration

Comment

• On Thursday May 31, 2018 at approximately 1400 Hours I took my medical exam for United States Customs and Border Protection Officer. Everything seemed to go very well and the Doctor signed off on my papers. I spoke with the lady at the desk and told her that I brought up to the nurse even though I don't even think she was a nurse I think she was just an assistant that I would like to retest my vision test because without my contacts in I had a difficult time and told her that I needed a 20/100 or better in order to pass and I told her that I received a 20/200. She said that everything was good and that if something was wrong then the Doctor would have not signed off on the paperwork. Anyways, do you think I will be given the opportunity to retest again because I believe that is the only thing that will be holding me back from moving on in the process. Thanks for your help.

Comment

• gaston
        gaston commented
        Editing a comment
        I can relate. I have some terrible eye sight. With contacts, I have 20/20 vision. Without contacts (uncorrected) it is 20/200. I took my medical in February and I recently received notice to get my eye sight tested again by my own eye doctor. My DR. filled out the requested form and it says i have corrected 20/20 however 20/200 uncorrected. At this point, all i can do is hope that my vision is "good enough". I cant do anything else about it. All i can do is wait to hear back.

I was curious how the determination is decided if i can continue with the process. So am I automatically disqualified because my uncorrected does not fit the minimum requirement? Or is each persons case handled and decided differently.

• N.N.
        N.N. commented
        Editing a comment
        gaston on the CBP Medical information page, it says: “No condition is automatically disqualifying; each determination is made on a case-by-case basis.” Based on that, I wouldn’t give up hope until they say so. Perhaps they’ll give you the option to opt for Lasik which could improve your uncorrected numbers. Best of luck!

• So does anyone know the odds of getting JFK as my work site? I applied for announcement 18-1 but JFK was not in that announcement. However, I did select it as my preferred work site.

Comment

• d2ep
        d2ep commented
        Editing a comment
        It depends I read few people who haven't picked JFK and when call came and asked for it they got it. Whereas other people didn't. So best bet is ask for it when the call comes in. From what I have read do not interrupt the person who calls you. Let them say what they have to and when they are done ask them if JFK still available. I hope this helps

• joeypd
        joeypd commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes it does, thanks

• Anyone know how the selection process works for the GS levels in the application? Is it a computer or a person? My coworker, who has a much stronger background than I do, and even more experience at my current job; applied and didn't get GS-7 like I did. Did I goof up on the application itself? Is it the way you word things? I'm confused as to why he got a lower grade. At the same time, wonder if I should avoid re-applying for a different location as I might not get GS-7, and this was some glitch.

Comment

• EnforceTheLawBro
        EnforceTheLawBro commented
        Editing a comment
        JeJe so your GPA doesn’t have to be a 3.0. They average out I believe the last 4 or 6 semesters and THAT has to be a 3.0

• Jones415
        Jones415 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have no idea how it works. I qualified for GS5 for OFO and qualified for GS-5 and GS-7 for USBP when I applied months later. Nothing on my resume changed, and I have a Bachelors with a high GPA. So who knows!

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        @Jones415

There are far fewer college degree holders in Border Patrol...that might explain their willingness to toss you a GS-07 without further vetting.

• Jones415
        Jones415 commented
        Editing a comment
        merlin436 ahh, thank you for your input. Makes sense.

• 18-6 GS-9 (VRA) Houston applicant heading to the SI tomorrow, scheduled PFT-1 for the same day about 4 hours before, Medical completed about 3 weeks ago Just submitted my Polygraph waiver last week. Process seems to be going fairly fast anybody have any info on possible class dates for this year? I already have TS/SCI from my current position hopefully that speeds up the process. Best of luck!

Comment

• Hey guys,newbie here how long did it take you guys to get your medical exam result after the test?

Comment

• JeJe
          JeJe commented
          Editing a comment
          took me 6 months

• Josel1992
          Josel1992 commented
          Editing a comment
          If you have no medical history to report 1 week

• JayfromGA
          JayfromGA commented
          Editing a comment
          That's why I have no medical history expected for gout,but I changed my diet so I wouldn't have any attack.my med exam was on may 18....now I'm worried.

• Hey guys, so today I finally received an email from TSU asking for a missing OF-306 Form and stating that I have been referred to TSU. In the email it also says that they will contact me once they reach my name and a vacancy is available. So close!!!
        CBPO (18-3) - Queens, NY
        Progress shown on CASS: 88%

Original Application: 17-6 (03/05/17)
        Current Application: 18-3 (12/01/17)
        Entrance Exam: Passed - (03/29/17)
        Medical Exam: Passed - (05/02/2017)
        Fitness Exam: Passed - (05/31/2017)
        SI: Passed - (06/28/2017)
        Polygraph: Passed - (09/27/2017)
        BI: Cleared (10/24/17 - 05/09/18)
        Drug Exam: Passed (05/17/18)
        TSU: (06/04/18)
        Final Offer: (06/21/18)
        EOD: (9/17/18)

Comment

• A computer CAN tell you what you qualify for, but its normally a person that makes the decision, based on different factors... my job was a GS-6 Step 1, but I previously held a Step 2, so they gave me Step 2 again (didn't hold it enough for any higher steps)
          Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
          USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
          "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
          Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

• Originally posted by EnforceTheLawBro View Post
            JeJe so your GPA doesn’t have to be a 3.0. They average out I believe the last 4 or 6 semesters and THAT has to be a 3.0
            yup that is what happened to me. I thought i was eligible for GS 7 but they did me dirty and averaged out the last 6 months, they got me good. Its all good, ill just take out all my frustration on people coming back on vacation and i'll have to dump their bags and watch them pack it back up frantically.

haha JK

Comment

• JeJe
              JeJe commented
              Editing a comment
              if they do that to me, i'll have a 4.0 GPA.

• From those from the NY/NJ area, the ones with realistic timelines, what is the average wait time for the Poly after the SI.

Comment

• Hi all,

I just got the e-mail saying "Our vendor, Comprehensive Health Services, will be contacting you in the next 3 to 5 business days to schedule your exam", which means my medical.

I will without a doubt fail the uncorrected vision test. The reason I'm sure of it is I ordered a Snellen eye chart and taped it to my wall and stood twenty feet back. I couldn't make out a single letter, not even the large "E" on top which is 20/200.

I have a lasik consultation this Friday. Will probably have to get the surgery done soon. The CBP website says 3-months post operative for lasik. Do they care about this? On the medical forms I will probably put the real date and it will be much less than three months. Any thoughts?

Comment

• ES90
                ES90 commented
                Editing a comment
                I was told if I get Lasik and the healing period isn't up I would have to turn down the offer and reapply. I'd wait if you can.

• lil-secrecy
                lil-secrecy commented
                Editing a comment
                keep in mind he just started his medical examination. Even in the best-case scenario, he is 6 months away from an offer. Unless he is golden coz a previous poly/TS background. LUCKY him then ....

• blse
                blse commented
                Editing a comment
                The uncorrected counts as well, does it not? It states the requirements (20/100 uncorrected) plainly on their medical webpage. I've read posts here from the last few pages who said they failed the uncorrected part and a few months after medical, got a message saying they needed clearance from their own eye doctor...

Also,how can they possibly verify the actual date that we got the surgery on? I could put a date in a few months before my medical exam date.

• blse
                blse commented
                Editing a comment
                Ok, I'm going to wait until after the medical to see if I'm going to get lasik if it's required. Thanks guys!

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10172 users online. 485 members and 9687 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X