Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: I read on another forum that supposedly, you can have both a Direct Hire AND a 'regular' application open and running at the same time. Does anyone happen to know if this is true?

I'm currently on 18-5 DH, but would like to apply to one of the competitive bids as well to have some more location options down the road. But, I don't want to do it if there's a chance it could override my Direct Hire application (DH seems to move faster than regular bids). Any advice?

Comment

• N.N.
      N.N. commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh cool thanks for the info! You think re-doing med was just because it had expired?

• Sheridan1
      Sheridan1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Think it was 6 months, maybe less, so I'm not sure if they have a date which you don't have to redo it.

• d2ep
      d2ep commented
      Editing a comment
      @ N.N. I have both running as same time. I first applied regular and then applied DH just to see if that pushes the process faster or not. And everything from regular announcement transferred to DH including medical and PFT. Both running side by side.

• N.N.
      N.N. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info guys!

I think I'm gonna see what locations come up for the June bid and may add one on to my DH application.

• Originally posted by N.N. View Post
    Thanks for the info guys!

I think I'm gonna see what locations come up for the June bid and may add one on to my DH application.
    Are DH announcements mostly Southern Border positions? Im under a VRA announcement, is there a difference as hiring process speed goes?

Comment

• N.N.
      N.N. commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe DH is exclusively Southern Border. From what I've heard from and experienced myself, DH bids do seem to move a bit faster. Next week I'll be thru everything besides the poly, drug, and BI and it'll be under 2 months since my TSL.

• Is anyone stationed in Honolulu, Hawaii?

Comment

• MP_App
      MP_App commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi LSamm, why you ask? You selected for that location?
      Last edited by MP_App; 05-28-2018, 05:58 PM.

• @ N.N. keep your DH application it will move your process faster. When you finish with poly simply call MHC and tell them you want to cancel one of the application you do not want to keep.

Comment

• N.N.
      N.N. commented
      Editing a comment
      Good thinking. Whatever moved the process the fastest is most important to me at the moment, I'll be happy to be a CBPO anywhere ultimately lol

• Sheridan1
      Sheridan1 commented
      Editing a comment

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      Alcan is unique...yet not so unique.

There are plenty of hard-to-fill/hardship ports that mimic Alcan on some level but they don't get the same sort of recognition or accommodations.

• Sheridan1
      Sheridan1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well if there are similar places where you act as a medic and the typical winter temperature can be -30 to -60 then yeah. No thanks. Never would do that lol. That port would have to have it's own pay scale with GS-7 in the 90k range for me.

• Well ladies and gentlemen,

3 days ago, I officially completed 100% of this hiring process! I enjoyed posting all my updates/documenting this journey. I will continue to help out and give whatever input I can.

From now on, I need to focus on trying to make sure life is as smooth as possible for myself and my family while I'm gone for those 4-5 months.

Comment

• N.N.
      N.N. commented
      Editing a comment
      Congratulations!! It shouldn't be long now before you get "The Call". It will help with family planning to finally have certain dates and a location too. I'm wishing you best of luck in it all!

What does your timeline look like? Any words of advice to those of us still waiting on the "tougher" steps (poly, BI)?

• MP_App
      MP_App commented
      Editing a comment
      The 100% included "The Call". Thank you. From application to 100% complete in the app was 1 year, 2 months, and about 3 weeks.

There is no 1 advice fits all, but based on my experience, you just have to be upfront and honest in this process.
      Last edited by MP_App; 05-28-2018, 10:08 PM.

• EnforceTheLawBro
      EnforceTheLawBro commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats!!! Which locations did they offer you?

• for those who had been on Med Review before and had to email them back additional medical information; if they need more information besides the email with all the information you sent them, will they state exactly what else they need or pretty much email you back the initial medical request email from before?

Comment

• lil-secrecy
      lil-secrecy commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm hoping that's what they do! They linked the documents I overnighted them to the application on 5/17. It's been 7 work days... I'm hoping to hear NOTHING and see green in CASS. Otherwise two possible emails:

"Your tentative selection notification stated that your offer was contingent upon successful completion of all pre-employment requirements, including a Medical Evaluation. (followed by the dreadful...) AT THIS TIME..."

or

"yo we need more doc's. open the pdf, check out exactly what we need and don't be fool. got a month. peace".

• JeJe
      JeJe commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes they will. After I sent them all they needed they called me asking questions to clarify. It took six month total for the process but got cleared two days after they called me. I hope this helps buddy

• Does any one have info on Dulles International? Like OT, Management, place to live near by with good school and community.

Comment

• DallyDallington
      DallyDallington commented
      Editing a comment
      I live by there, housing can be quite expensive but the communities are typically all nice and safe

• Nycguy718
      Nycguy718 commented
      Editing a comment
      Idk about the work. But I usually stay in Herndon when I go visit. The renting in the area is pricey, Zillow will help you out. Many of the apartments are very nice with many amenities though. You can go a few miles further out and maybe I’ll be cheaper. They are also building a new Metro Station which is really nice. The communities looks really safe. You should spend the weekend. PM if you want and I’ll give you a few hotels that are nice to stay in and can give you some tips.

• d2ep
      d2ep commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you both

• Hi all,
    I am an applicant on 18-3. I have a question regarding the medical exam. I did the medical exam on 2/22/18 but I haven’t received a green pass yet. What should I do? Do I have to email anyone or just wait? Thank you very much.

Comment

• N.N.
      N.N. commented
      Editing a comment
      J.C29 did someone confirm that "further evaluation" definitely means more information will be requested? My CHS Portal has shown "further evaluation" for 6 weeks, but I can't imagine what else they'd want (I don't have any pre-exisitng conditions and my medical exam went smoothly, Dr. even said I will pass in the exam). I emailed CBP med review and all they said they were pending a nurse to be review my case.

I actually reached out to a CHS rep when I saw the "further evaluation" notice and they told me that simply means your file has been forwarded to CBP. i.e. CHS can't pass or fail you, CBP has to determine themselves.

• J.C29
      J.C29 commented
      Editing a comment
      N.N. Good point, now I'm not entirely sure. I knew I was going to receive the request to send in additional information, because I have VA disability claims, and I fractured my leg a few years back.

• N.N.
      N.N. commented
      Editing a comment
      J.C29 ahh I gotcha, I'm just confused why CBP says they review files in the order they're received, but some people seem to get a pass within days of their test while others of us are waiting around for months not knowing what's going on.

• FEDNJ119
      FEDNJ119 commented
      Editing a comment
      I just checked and it said “Further Evaluation” since 5/7 but I haven’t received anything from them yet. Thank you for your reply.

• I emailed my case manager today, and basically asked why I wasn't selected as a GS-7. She ultimately said at the time I applied I didn't meet the requirements, but my transcripts and everything else was sent in. She informed me I could re apply to the new announcement. I'm somewhat hesitant to re apply, and could use some advice. Thanks everyone.
    GS-5 18-3
    01/17/18 - NOR
    01/24/18 - Medical (Passed 06/07/18)
    03/01/18 - Fitness
    03/05/18 - eQip Released to OPR
    03/28/18 - Structured Interview
    --/--/------ - Polygraph (Used results from another agency)
    05/01/18 - Drug Test
    05/09/18 - Met with BI
    05/23/18 - BI said he submitted everything
    09/24/18 - EOD

Comment

• JeJe
      JeJe commented
      Editing a comment
      Apply hands down.

• N.N.
      N.N. commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes especially since you're thru the whole process, if you re apply, everything should transfer right over. I wouldn't pass up that GS7 pay bump.

• RJ_Jersey
      RJ_Jersey commented
      Editing a comment
      I was in a similar boat. I initially applied for 18-2, GS5, and realized what the requirements were for GS 7, so I reapplied. I ultimately wasn't selected for GS7 under 18-3 because even thought I made the cut off for the GPA, according to them, they average out the last 6 months of schooling to get the GPA to see if you meet the requirement, so even though I had over a 3.0, because the last 6 months of my schooling did NOT average out to a 3.0 GPA or higher, I was not selected and ended back up with the GS5 position. Everything transferred and I did NOT see a delay in my process. It is worth a shot to re apply, worse case, you are still a GS5 but just under a different announcement and everything transfers over pretty quickly. Hopefully I didn't blab on for too long, hope this helped.

• FEDNJ119
      FEDNJ119 commented
      Editing a comment
      I got an email stating that I am qualify for both GS 5 and GS 7. After I get an offer for a job, I will know which grade I am going to get right? Thank you.

• Thanks for that info. So if I apply to the new posting as only a GS-7, and I don't get it, I'll just keep my 18-3 GS-5? But if I get it everything with carry over to the new application? Or should I pick GS-7 and 5 and if I don't get the 7 I'll get the 5 for the new one. This is what's confusing for me, and mainly why I'm hesitant.
    GS-5 18-3
    01/17/18 - NOR
    01/24/18 - Medical (Passed 06/07/18)
    03/01/18 - Fitness
    03/05/18 - eQip Released to OPR
    03/28/18 - Structured Interview
    --/--/------ - Polygraph (Used results from another agency)
    05/01/18 - Drug Test
    05/09/18 - Met with BI
    05/23/18 - BI said he submitted everything
    09/24/18 - EOD

Comment

• RJ_Jersey
      RJ_Jersey commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, everything will transfer over to the new application/announcement

when you reapply, ensure to check off both GS 5 and 7, so if you do not get the higher one, you will get selected at least for GS 5.

• Anyone know the amount of OT at the San Francisco port by chance? I know the cost of living is expensive so I was wondering if anyone had any insight into this port.

Comment

• JeJe
      JeJe commented
      Editing a comment
      A decent one bedroom is about 2k per month. food and fun is expensive, the port is not any special that anywhere else. all of what i said is a guess, i have no idea. But i am not surprised if i was close. you can live comfortable as a GS-11.

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      Typically, ports like SF have huge amounts of overtime available.

• Sheridan1
      Sheridan1 commented
      Editing a comment
      What's special about SF that they have a lot of OT?

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      Large ports tend to have more overtime. Urban ports tend to have more overtime. Ports in higher cost-of-living areas tend to have more overtime. SF has all three conditions going for it.

• Hey guys, so two questions if you guys could help me out here. 1. I applied for the 18-3 announcement and qualified for GS-5 & GS-7 but how do I know what they offer me? 2. I took the drug exam about 20 days ago on 5/09/18 and it got cleared on the CASS app about a week later but still no call from TSU and I see that some people got called from TSU about a week after taking it. Should I maybe contact TSU or just wait it out? I'm so close I can almost taste it lol. Thanks for your help.
    CBPO (18-3) - Queens, NY
    Progress shown on CASS: 88%

Original Application: 17-6 (03/05/17)
    Current Application: 18-3 (12/01/17)
    Entrance Exam: Passed - (03/29/17)
    Medical Exam: Passed - (05/02/2017)
    Fitness Exam: Passed - (05/31/2017)
    SI: Passed - (06/28/2017)
    Polygraph: Passed - (09/27/2017)
    BI: Cleared (10/24/17 - 05/09/18)
    Drug Exam: Passed (05/17/18)
    TSU: (06/04/18)
    Final Offer: (06/21/18)
    EOD: (9/17/18)

Comment

• EnforceTheLawBro
      Editing a comment
      It doesn’t hurt to email TSU. Maybe they will look into your app and clear you. How long did they take to call you for your drug test after your background cleared?

• J2H
      J2H commented
      Editing a comment
      Your TO will have the Grade and Step listed

• So, I’m taking my drug test this Friday (06/01/2018) and I’m currently taking Finasteride (propecia). A hair loss treatment medication that I ordered online and was prescribed to me by an online doctor (www.keeps.com). Do you guys think this will affect my drug test?

Comment

• RJ_Jersey
      RJ_Jersey commented
      Editing a comment
      Anything can affect your drug test - Protein powder, creatine, etc. can affect it. As long as it is not on the list of banned drugs and you inform them beforehand, so there is no surprises, than you should be good to go. I take a lot of gym supplements, so I am constantly having to inform whoever is administering the test about it.

• Sheridan1
      Sheridan1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Side comment about propecia. Some users will have their libido/sex drive completely broken and there's no cure for it. Research more about it if you're interested. But, from the info I read from users that experienced this, there's no way I would be taking that. There are better treatments if you want your hair back. A little more expensive but without that bad risk

• EnforceTheLawBro
      Editing a comment
      You right ^^ that’s why I gotta get in with CBP so I can afford the expensive good stuff.

• I heard someone say that CBP looks at your applications and Eqip if you worked for lets say, TSA, or other DHS agencies and if they find you are inconsistent in your answers from your Eqip / application with theirs you will be dropped? Anyone that can confirm this?

Comment

• N.N.
      N.N. commented
      Editing a comment
      Odox002, I’m sorry to say, but if you did intentionally lie on your TSA eQip, it likely will be a major issue with CBP if they find out. When you submit your eQip, you certify that everything you’ve put is truthful, understanding that falsifying is a Federal offense and can lead to Federal employment termination, further debarment from employment, and criminal prosecution.

• DallyDallington
      DallyDallington commented
      Editing a comment
      N.N is right unfortunately
      Last edited by DallyDallington; 05-31-2018, 04:36 PM.

• MP_App
      MP_App commented
      Editing a comment
      My question is did you put no for both TSA and CBP because your drug use was outside the timeframe that was questioned?

• Odox002
      Odox002 commented
      Editing a comment
      I put no for TSA because I was out of the time frame I've only tried marijuana like 6 years go. I put that I have and added the dates and details etc. for CBP. That's why i'm asking will they cross reference? I heard people at TSA say they will and others say they don't that's why i'm asking.

• Afternoon Guys I'am applicant 18-1 with original selection port of entry Boston, I have changed my mind since I applied to southern border closer to family Calexico or Los Angeles I have applied for both announcements I did it yesterday , when I checked my app today , like everyone days everything should transfer over just fine it didn't, everything did transfer ok except my polygraph results which I had previously passed when I was applying for original port of entry Boston , that's the harderst thing to pass in this process and when I found that , that my polygraph didn't transfer over I was frustrated any help or advice on what to do now ?

Comment

• J.C29
      J.C29 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry to hear that. Is your 18-1 posting still going or does the new announcement take over? You should email your case manager, and ask for a polygraph reciprocity. I took a polygraph last year, and I emailed my case manager and told her about it, and she emailed me a form to fill out. About a week later my polygraph said "pass" in the application tracker.

• Audubon
      Audubon commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi J.C29! Is that how it works? I am having the same issue. I took and passed my poly in January this year under 18-1 DH. Everything transferred just fine to my new 18-6 application, except for the poly which has been showing pending. I was under the impression that OPR would automatically look up my old BI file and update the results. Thanks again for the information!

• EnforceTheLawBro
      Editing a comment
      So unfortunately polygraphs are only valid for a certain amount of time. Maybe when you reapplied your polygraph had expired.

• J.C29
      J.C29 commented
      Editing a comment
      In the job posting it says if you have a recent polygraph (I want to say 2-3 years) with a credible federal agency you could be eligible for a reciprocity or waiver. I took mine last June with a different agency, so maybe it's different if yours was with CBP. Worth the shot to ask though.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8917 users online. 454 members and 8463 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X